24 Hours of LeMons - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Off Topic Section > The Lounge

The Lounge For general discussions

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 9th November 2009

Join Date: Jul 2009                                                
My Saabs: 1996 9000 CS
Default 24 Hours of LeMons

I have found a car. Sort of. (yes, it is a Saab.) could find drivers. Maybe. Money? Hah, as in, got little. Anyone Participated? Stories, experiences? Sponsors even?
Advertisement

Old 10th November 2009
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Nov 2004                                                
My Saabs: Porsche

I've raced in quite a few. I'm part of Team-60. We run a 900.

www.team-60.org (We haven't updated it with the Buttonwillow race from August yet.)

Stories? Tons of 'em. This is one of the most cool/crazy/fun experiences ever. We've changed engines and transmissions at the track, had our mechanic (Walter Wong) disassemble one of his personal 900s that he drove to the race to fix the cars, and have inhaled more Lucas Oil smoke than can possibly be good for any human being.

Do it!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10th November 2009
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jan 2007                                                
My Saabs: -

I've always wanted to do it, but it never gets close to here. The closest one is is MI.
Old 10th November 2009

Join Date: Jul 2009                                                
My Saabs: 1996 9000 CS

i live in lovely texas, and sinse were all rednecks anyways, we get two. or three..... but in dallas and Houston. i wanna do it soooooo bad.
Old 10th November 2009
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Jul 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2000 9-5 Aero M/T

me and my buddies were gonna do this, we even found a cheep Porsche 944 and we had everything planned out.......but now money, so after we all went to different colleges it fell apart, but the dream is still alive
Old 10th November 2009
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Oct 2004                                                
My Saabs: 9-3 SE Vector

I am beginning to realize you are talking about racing ...
It might be good to know that the race is called Le Mans (with an "a" and not an "o" ) just in case you want to register ....
Old 10th November 2009
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jan 2006                                                
My Saabs: Black 9000 Aero, C900 - Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMorgan View Post
It might be good to know that the race is called Le Mans (with an "a" and not an "o" ) just in case you want to register ....
http://www.24hoursoflemons.com/ not in this case!! the biggest difference is pretty much laid out below though....

Old 10th November 2009
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jan 2007                                                
My Saabs: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMorgan View Post
Not this race. This one is the 24 hours of Lemons.
http://www.24hoursoflemons.com/
Old 10th November 2009
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Oct 2004                                                
My Saabs: 9-3 SE Vector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Not this race. This one is the 24 hours of Lemons.
http://www.24hoursoflemons.com/
Thanks for wising me up .. had never heard of it
Cheers.
Old 10th November 2009
TurboBlix

Next year there will be more races throughout the US. I might be participating in the DC one if my friends get their acts together.

Malibu - how much would you estimate running a car in a lemons race costs? (Including gas, registration, repairs, etc). Inquiring minds would like to know.

Last edited by TurboBlix; 10th November 2009 at 04:18 PM.
Old 10th November 2009
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Dec 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2000 9-5 Aero

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboBlix View Post
Next year there will be more races throughout the US. I might be participating in the DC one if my friends get their acts together.

Malibu - how much would you estimate running a car in a lemons race costs? (Including gas, registration, repairs, etc). Inquiring minds would like to know.
Budget about ~5k for the car, and at least as much for random ancillary costs. Still, it's damn cheap for what you get, especially once you've got a car together so you can race in subsequent events.
Old 10th November 2009
TurboBlix

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACBarnett View Post
Budget about ~5k for the car, and at least as much for random ancillary costs. Still, it's damn cheap for what you get, especially once you've got a car together so you can race in subsequent events.
Thanks AC! I figured it might be around there. I agree that for the car alone it's worth it, and also that the experience doubly justifies the cost. Plus split up among a team, the amount seems negligible.
Old 10th November 2009
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Oct 2007                                                
My Saabs: 2001 9-3SE 4dr, 2004 9-5Arc Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACBarnett View Post
5k? I thought the max you could spend was 500? or are you including the rollcage, tires etc.?
Old 10th November 2009
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Dec 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2000 9-5 Aero

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9-3Pilot View Post
5k? I thought the max you could spend was 500? or are you including the rollcage, tires etc.?
roll cage, tires, suspension, spare parts, safety equipment, etc. It all gets real spendy real quick.
Old 10th November 2009
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: May 2009                                                
My Saabs: '05 9-3 Linear SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9-3Pilot View Post
I think he is, $500 for the car, and a few thousand more for rollcage, tires, seats, helmets, etc... I recommend relocating the radiator to over the engine like a Humvee... keeps it safer from damage.

Old 10th November 2009
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Nov 2004                                                
My Saabs: Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboBlix View Post
5K is about right to get a team up and running from scratch. Keep in mind that safety equipment is not included in the $500 cost of the car. There are no budget restrictions on that as they do strive to make these races as safe as possible. Every race the rules get a little more stringent. We are going to have to totally redo the cage in the 900 this year to be in compliance with the 2010 season regulations. Also remember to factor in the cost of all your personal gear as well if you do not already own anything: race suit, helmet, radios, nomex, gloves, neck brace/support, shoes, etc.

After the initial build, our team has been running pretty well on a $2500/year budget. We usually do one or two races a year, locally. With five drivers, that's $500 each. Now, one of the reasons we can do it for this cheap is that we have a virtually endless supply of parts through Walter as well as all the time he and his guys donate. This is key in LeMons: be mechanically inclined or know guys who will work for hotel rooms and beer!
Old 10th November 2009
TurboBlix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibu View Post
5K is about right to get a team up and running from scratch. Keep in mind that safety equipment is not included in the $500 cost of the car. There are no budget restrictions on that as they do strive to make these races as safe as possible. Every race the rules get a little more stringent. We are going to have to totally redo the cage in the 900 this year to be in compliance with the 2010 season regulations. Also remember to factor in the cost of all your personal gear as well if you do not already own anything: race suit, helmet, radios, nomex, gloves, neck brace/support, shoes, etc.

After the initial build, our team has been running pretty well on a $2500/year budget. We usually do one or two races a year, locally. With five drivers, that's $500 each. Now, one of the reasons we can do it for this cheap is that we have a virtually endless supply of parts through Walter as well as all the time he and his guys donate. This is key in LeMons: be mechanically inclined or know guys who will work for hotel rooms and beer!
I appreciate the info. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement