24 Hours of Lemons Build - Page 3 - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-5 Mk.I, 1998-2009 > 9-5 Performance, Mods & Tuning

9-5 Performance, Mods & Tuning Covers Tuning & Performance modifications for the 9-5

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 4th October 2016

Join Date: Jul 2011                                                
My Saabs: 9-5

Dash is back in about as well as it's going to be. Fuse box is nice and wedged in there.

Also started to place the passenger seat. This will only stay in the car for testing days where we want to do some coaching. On race day it comes out so that it's easier to get in the car and strap the driver in.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4th October 2016

Started on the fuel cell tonight. Bought 24ft of 1" square tube, and I was still two bars short.

Also installed the mirror tonight. Potato cam incoming.

Old 6th October 2016

Got a few things done tonight. First, the rules state that sunroofs must be removed, and covered. So thin steel sheet and rivets it is. I'll rattle can it black later.

Then we moved on to my favorite part. Cutting the crap out of the spare tire well to make room for the fuel cell.

I also started figuring out how to fit a removable steering wheel. Freaking Saab and their 48spline steering shaft. You know what other cars use this? Old Land Rovers. I bought an SFI rated disconnect from Jegs that has a gates 5-bolt pattern. I then found that Schroeder makes a very similar disconnect with the 48 spline pattern, however only with 3 bolt wheel patterns. I ordered one of the hub inserts from them. It's .004" larger in diameter, but the same quick disconnect spline. So I threw it in a lathe and took the .004" off and it snaps right in. I still need to figure a few things out and decide if it's worth running the removable wheel while loosing the wheel controls.

Old 6th October 2016

We also connected the battery for the first time in 3 weeks and confirmed everything still works. However when we first tried to crank it over it just cranked and cranked. Like it had no fuel.... So I put a multi-meter on the pump connector, and yup, no power. I started freaking out until I remembered a fuse had fallen out when I pulled the dash... but no, that couldn't be.... Yup. Of all the fuses the freaking fuel pump fuse fell out. Plug that back in and what do you know, fires right up.
Old 7th October 2016
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Oct 2007                                                
My Saabs: No more SAABs

keep up the good work! It's all looking really good.
Old 7th October 2016

Didn't take a ton of pictures today. Got the fuel cell cage in and mounted. Now I need to plumb it and remove the stock tank.

Did a bunch of other small things, swapped wheels, and packed everything up. Car comes back home tonight where I'll do most of the rest of the prep work. This morning i found coolant under the car. Looks like bypass valve, and a fairly aggressive leak. Hooray. Wasn't leaking when I drove the car in to start working on it. Oh well. Going to top off the tank and drive it the 2 miles home while leaking.
Old 17th October 2016

I've been slacking on posts and pictures. Race is this weekend and the list of remaining is large.

Things I have completed

- Seats mounted and electric sliders confirmed still working (memory on driver's seat works too)
- Anti-sub belts mounted, shoulder harness straps mounted
- Brakes changed and refreshed (normal steel blanks, and custom raybestos st43 pads. One of the best pads for heavy endurance track abuse)
- Coolant bypass valve replaced (was leaking)

Things left to do

- Mount lap belts for harnesses
- remove stock fuel tank
- plump in fuel cell
- wire in fuel cell
- wire in electrical kill switch
- change oil
- drain cooling system and replace with all water (per the rules)
- install aftermarket gauges and dummy switches on water temp and oil pressure
- change brake fluid
- build a tow strap mount for the front
- find all my radio gear and install the car harness
- Mount the fire extinguisher
- about 500 other small things I'm forgetting.
Old 18th October 2016

Got a few little things done tonight.

Driver harness is fully installed. Passenger harness is just missing one washer and I'll have that fully done. Seat back brace is at least in the car. Roll cage padding is in. Most of the wiring is protected. The fire extinguisher bracket is mocked up and just needs some welding. I'll be back at it tomorrow.

Fuel cell is mostly bolted in. I'll plumb it in thursday.
Old 23rd October 2016

Join Date: Dec 2011                                                
My Saabs: 1990 900 SPG / 2006 9-5 wagon / 2000 9-5

Thanks for the updates, Chris. Love seeing how this is progressing!
Old 23rd October 2016

I'll need a day to recover and write something, but race weekend is done. We managed 426 laps, and finished 33rd out of 117 cars.

Heading out on track on saturday.
Old 24th October 2016
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Sep 2014                                                
My Saabs: 06 9-5 Wagon, 07 9-5 Aero, 07 9-3 Aero

Glad to see you got it done in time for the race. When you recover I'm curious to know what kind of penalty laps they gave you for the car. This has to be one of the nicest Lemons cars I have seen before. Heck, the body looks to be in better shape than my daily driver.
Old 24th October 2016

Actually, we go zero laps. They put us in B-Class, which is exactly where it belonged.

The judges know us fairly well, and our reputation from the Daytona kind of helped. But they believed our (true) story that this is a semi-legit $500 car. The few dealers my dad went to when shopping for a new car all asked that he please not trade the car in because none of them wanted it. Best offer was $1000 for the car. Yes we could have likely gotten more from a private sale, but that's not the point. We've sold a bunch of stuff from the interior, so the car isn't that over budget.

Then there's the fact that it's really not the best performing car. And Saabs are notoriously explody in lemons. There were a handful there this weekend, and a good portion had engine issues. All of that helped, and the judges put us right where we belonged, in B-Class.

the car itself did really well. It drives like a better Daytona, so my dad and I fell right into a rhythm with it. It pushes a lot, but damn it just ran like a clock all weekend. Well, until 15 minutes before the checkered. As I turned to go up the hill it went into limp mode. then it went back to normal, and then freaked out again flashing the check engine light. So I brought it in. There was a P1300 misfire code. My guess is ignition cassette giving up. Or less likely is issues with the fuel pump. It was sounding a little weird when I unloaded the car at home, so I wonder if it started pushing less. But cassette is my first guess.

I'll have a better write up in a couple days, but overall I'm very happy with the weekend. The car needs better tires, a couple degrees camber, maybe springs or bigger sway bars, and it will be a really fun car to drive.
Old 24th October 2016

Join Date: Dec 2011                                                
My Saabs: 1990 900 SPG / 2006 9-5 wagon / 2000 9-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cegna09 View Post
Actually, we go zero laps. They put us in B-Class, which is exactly where it belonged.

The judges know us fairly well, and our reputation from the Daytona kind of helped. But they believed our (true) story that this is a semi-legit $500 car. The few dealers my dad went to when shopping for a new car all asked that he please not trade the car in because none of them wanted it. Best offer was $1000 for the car. Yes we could have likely gotten more from a private sale, but that's not the point. We've sold a bunch of stuff from the interior, so the car isn't that over budget.

Then there's the fact that it's really not the best performing car. And Saabs are notoriously explody in lemons. There were a handful there this weekend, and a good portion had engine issues. All of that helped, and the judges put us right where we belonged, in B-Class.

the car itself did really well. It drives like a better Daytona, so my dad and I fell right into a rhythm with it. It pushes a lot, but damn it just ran like a clock all weekend. Well, until 15 minutes before the checkered. As I turned to go up the hill it went into limp mode. then it went back to normal, and then freaked out again flashing the check engine light. So I brought it in. There was a P1300 misfire code. My guess is ignition cassette giving up. Or less likely is issues with the fuel pump. It was sounding a little weird when I unloaded the car at home, so I wonder if it started pushing less. But cassette is my first guess.

I'll have a better write up in a couple days, but overall I'm very happy with the weekend. The car needs better tires, a couple degrees camber, maybe springs or bigger sway bars, and it will be a really fun car to drive.
Your interior is going to be sitting happy in my car! Also kinda nice to hear the car performed well and survived. Guess its sort of the ultimate longevity test for us 9-5 owners!
Old 20th March 2017

So after 254,000 road miles and a full weekend of hard racing we just assumed the clutch needed replacement. It still felt ok, but really, how much could be left? There was also some noise from the chain side of the engine, so we figured we'd drop the whole thing, replace the clutch, pull the balance shaft chain, check the timing chain, inspect a bunch of things on the engine, replace bushings, etc.

We pulled the whole power train as a unit from the car. Put the car on a lift and rolled a pallet stacker under it to hold the subframe. Once it was unbolted we simply lifted the car off the frame.

Over the weekend we got the engine separated from the transmission and pulled the clutch. This is basically the original clutch. The car got a replacement at 3,000 miles under warranty, and this is the one they put in. So 251,000+ street miles and 14+ hours of racing and the clutch still looks like it has plenty of life. New one will go in anyway.

Pulled the balance shaft chain out and will just leave the tensioner in place. I'm making up a small bracket to hold the chain guide in around it's normal location so the tensioner isn't at full extension.

The inside of the engine looks amazingly clean. Cams have some very slight wear, but nothing to bat an eye at. No sludge, no build up, no staining. I'm truly amazed.

Timing chain measures in spec and the teeth look good. No issues with the guides either.

Overall I'm pretty happy with the state of the engine. I'll be buttoning it back up tonight, and by Thursday the powertrain should go back into the car.
Old 20th March 2017

Join Date: Jun 2015                                                
My Saabs: 1999 9-5 wagon, 2.3t
Garage

Love this thread. You should do some autocrossing and drag racing when it's not LeMons season.
Old 20th March 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhota View Post
Love this thread. You should do some autocrossing and drag racing when it's not LeMons season.
I've tried both in the past (not with the saab), and they just aren't my thing. Autocross just offers so little seat time (at least near me) for how long the day is. If I'm going to devote the day, I want more than 10 minutes driving.

Endurance racing is just so much more fun. There is strategy, the car needs to be properly prepped, driving stints are long and fun, and the racing is incredible. For me an hour long battle with several other cars at very close distances will beat hunting cones or running a straight line any day.

That said, I do want to try hill climb. Maybe not with the saab. I'm in the middle of building another race car that will do lemons and hill climb. An E36 that will be able to run either a mazda rotary, or a twin changed 80's Chrysler 4 cylinder. The twin charged setup should make for a really fun hill climb car.
Old 20th March 2017
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Oct 2011                                                
My Saabs: 1997 900S Coupé, 2003 9-5 Linear Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cegna09 View Post
I've tried both in the past (not with the saab), and they just aren't my thing. Autocross just offers so little seat time (at least near me) for how long the day is. If I'm going to devote the day, I want more than 10 minutes driving.
And the better you get at autocross, the less seat time you have!
Old 20th March 2017
SaabNut!

Join Date: Apr 2016                                                
My Saabs: 2007 9-5 Aero, Tuning by MPS - Stage 1

All I know is I want those two original front seats!!!!!!!

Old 20th March 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHatfull View Post
All I know is I want those two original front seats!!!!!!!

Slightly late on that. They're currently in AGBullit235's car. I kept the seat rails and frame. Powered Memory race seat is amazing.
Old 20th March 2017
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Aug 2008                                                
My Saabs: 00 Viggen MPS, 02 9-5 Aero Wg MikeD

Did you deduce the chain noise? I and another 9-5 owner both have this intermittent rattle when engine is at temp. Not looking to pull motor for new chains and guides but definitely don't want something catastrophic to happen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement