New tires for 900s cabriolet - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab Ownership General Topics > Wheels & Tires

Wheels & Tires Technical discussions about wheels fitment & tire specifications and reviews, independent of car model and year. Sponsored by Discount Tire

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 4 Weeks Ago

Join Date: Mar 2019                                                
My Saabs: 1996 Saab 900s Cabriolet
Default New tires for 900s cabriolet

My 1996 Saab 900s cabriolet is ready for some new performance tires. I live in the US, but would like any suggestions. I have researched Nokian Entyre 2.0 tires (if I stay with a European manufacture) and Firestone Firehawk all season tires. My tire size is 195/60R/15. Is there another size I could consider for my 15" alloy wheels.
I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4 Weeks Ago
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Feb 2004                                                
My Saabs: LOTS. :)

If you are truly looking for a performance tire, I would strongly encourage you to find some stock 16" wheels from a 9-3 and run with 205/50-16 or even 205/55-16. Performance tires in a 15" OD are extremely limited and tend to be relatively costly. There is a wider selection and often lower prices in 16" sizes, and 16" stock alloy wheels are very available and very cheap.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Now that is a good idea, that I hadn't considered but will start shopping for now.
thanks

Old 3 Weeks Ago
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Oct 2011                                                
My Saabs: 1997 900S Coupé, 2003 9-5 Linear Wagon

If sticking with 15" tires, the Michelin Premier A/S hangs on quite well. It's also a good all-round performer.

The days of V-rated 195/60-15 tires are long gone!

With my 1997 900S, I preferred the driving feel with the Premiers (above) than with "performance" 16" rims/tires. The 16" felt heavy, like wearing heavy boots. The steering feel wasn't improved, either.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Aug 2014                                                
My Saabs: 9-5, 9-3

I have Nokian Entyres in that size that I like. They were cheap, too.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Yes, I'm going to stay with the 15" original wheels. I've been look at the Nokian
Entyre 2.0 AS tire if I stay with a Euro maker. I believe Nokian was the OEM tire for the Saab. I have also looked at the Firestone Firehawk AS tire as well. I live in Oregon so a good wet road tire is important. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Oct 2009                                                
My Saabs: 2*9-5 Hirsch & 9-3 Aero cab

Your Saab had Nokian, Pirelli or Continental tires when they come out of Uusikaupunki.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Oct 2011                                                
My Saabs: 1997 900S Coupé, 2003 9-5 Linear Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saabng900s View Post
Yes, I'm going to stay with the 15" original wheels. I've been look at the Nokian
Entyre 2.0 AS tire if I stay with a Euro maker. I believe Nokian was the OEM tire for the Saab. I have also looked at the Firestone Firehawk AS tire as well. I live in Oregon so a good wet road tire is important. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

The Michelin Premier is especially touted by Michelin as being safe in the wet new, and also when somewhat worn, due to the tread sipe design.

I would recommend that you start with going to tirerack.com, entering the tire size, and sorting by consumer ratings. Note that winter traction gets included in ratings, so a tire with fantastic wet and dry performance might get a lower rating (because its winter performance is poor) than a tire with worse summer traction but better winter traction. Also look at Tire Rack test links, since the direct and controlled comparison can be more useful than people's random impressions.

For what it's worth, I've had Yokohama and Pirelli tires in this size, and haven't been completely thrilled; however they are now obsolete models anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimmi View Post
Your Saab had Nokian, Pirelli or Continental tires when they come out of Uusikaupunki.

I have seen V-rated Michelin Primacy MXV tires which I'm pretty sure were original to the car. However, that was probably an OG9-3, and not a convertible. In any case, what was OEM fitment 20+ years ago isn't very relevant today.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Default Going with Nokian

I'm going with the Nokian Entyre 2.0 tire. This new generation all season tire should be a good fit for my ng900s. Numerous good reviews and comments from my research. This tire should vastly improve my driving experience.
Thanks for the suggestions and I'll give some feedback after a couple of months driving.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement