Origin of the Zender lower splitter AKA Talladega lip? - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab NG900, 1994-1998 and OG9-3, 1999-2002 & '03 Convertible (NG=new gen/OG=old gen) > NG900 & OG9-3 Performance, Mods & Tuning

Notices

NG900 & OG9-3 Performance, Mods & Tuning Covers Tuning & Performance modifications for the NG900 (1994 to 1998) & OG9-3 (1999-2002) & '03 Convertible

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 3 Weeks Ago

Join Date: Dec 2017                                                
My Saabs: 1998 900 SE Vert
Default Origin of the Zender lower splitter AKA Talladega lip?

I finally acquired, refurbished, and installed a “Talladega lip” Zender lower splitter on my ‘98 SE vert. I know this part appeared on almost all of the special edition NG900s including the R900, Sun Beach, Aero, and, most commonly, the 97 Talladega. Some of these models pre-date the Talladega, and the actual Talladega track endurance test cars did not have the lip, so I assume the Talladega name only stuck to this part because the Talladega model is the most common of the lot. I’m curious which NG900 the lip was originally designed for, or if it was originally intended as a catalog part and got spec’d on a few models, or what. Anyone know what was going through Swedish mind with this thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago
Saabista

Join Date: Oct 2009                                                
My Saabs: '03 9≥ 'vert; '01 9≥ 5d & parts car;

Iím not aware of any of those names being used with the NG900 aside from the Talledega. They did do a Talledega event with the Classic 900 originally. The NG900 event was a repro of that. Perhaps youíre mixing the two?
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Join Date: Dec 2017                                                
My Saabs: 1998 900 SE Vert

The R900 was a very scarce beast made as a special model in Germany in ‘96. It was as close as SAAB got to a homologation street performance model 900. The 95-96? Sun Beach (not Coast, my error) was also a European model, though reportedly with higher production numbers. The Aero was another super rare one (reportedly around 100-150?) sold only in Italy, (96, maybe even 95) and had a SAAB-made lower cladding kit much like the 900 classic SPG kit. All of this info is from lengthy scrounging of SAAB-oriented internet and is supported by the hive-mind at Wikipedia in the section on ng900s, for whatever that’s worth. A few sources:

Street/homologation R900 discussion
https://www.saabcentral.com/forums/#/topics/96857

A real race model R900 (for which the homologation German R900s were sold) - https://en.saabblog.net/2013/02/27/S...-900r-Group-A/

A Sun Coast discussion in a Dutch forum
https://www.saabforum.nl/viewtopic.php?t=142483

A 95 Sun Coast 900 ad
https://www.classicdigest.com/cars/saab/900/136698

NG900 Aero discussion (with pics)
https://www.saablink.net/forum/custo...#/topics/56373

Old 2 Weeks Ago
Saabista

Join Date: Oct 2009                                                
My Saabs: '03 9≥ 'vert; '01 9≥ 5d & parts car;

Hmmm... you learn something every day. I wasn't familiar with any of those aside from the "Aero" - that got some exposure way back when.

No idea where the Tally lip showed up first - by the time I bought mine from the Saab Catalog around 2000, the Tally itself was a long established, if discontinued, model.

Coincidentally, I just put my tally lip up for sale in the classifieds!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement