PCV Delete - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-5 Mk.I, 1998-2009 > 9-5 Performance, Mods & Tuning

9-5 Performance, Mods & Tuning Covers Tuning & Performance modifications for the 9-5

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 7th March 2019

Join Date: Mar 2019                                                
Default PCV Delete

Hi

Does anyone know how to delete de PCV hoses kit and change it for a catch can with crank ventilation?
Anyone knows a DIY for this?

I'm talking about a B235R from a 2002 95 Aero.

Thanks

Enviado do meu SM-G950F através do Tapatalk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 7th March 2019
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Nov 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2005 9-5 Aero Saabllennium Falcon
Garage

There already is a catch can. It's on the back of the motor (right side when facing front of car). The catch can is part of the whole PCV system.
Why do you want to try and delete it? Having an issue? Or....
Old 7th March 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturne View Post
There already is a catch can. It's on the back of the motor (right side when facing front of car). The catch can is part of the whole PCV system.

Why do you want to try and delete it? Having an issue? Or....
I want to prevent an issue. I want to replace it for aftermarket pieces and have a simplier circuit. With that, i guess prevent the oil sludge.

Old 7th March 2019
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Apr 2012                                                
My Saabs: 2007 9.5 Combi Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by NelsonITR View Post
I want to prevent an issue. I want to replace it for aftermarket pieces and have a simplier circuit. With that, i guess prevent the oil sludge.

what you are proposing will fail and cause more moisture and more sludge.
Old 7th March 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwikredline View Post
what you are proposing will fail and cause more moisture and more sludge.
How is that possible?

Old 7th March 2019
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Apr 2012                                                
My Saabs: 2007 9.5 Combi Sport

Quote:
How is that possible?

because the blowby gasses will be routed by you to a remote mount metal cannister where they will cool and condense creating a water/oil chocolate milk colored residue... but whatever. You go do it, just make sure you post up your experience... TIP you do not know anywhere as much as GM Saab powertrain engineers
PS a VTA vented catch can system will also require re tuning as you will have created a massive vacuum leak.
Old 7th March 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwikredline View Post
because the blowby gasses will be routed by you to a remote mount metal cannister where they will cool and condense creating a water/oil chocolate milk colored residue... but whatever. You go do it, just make sure you post up your experience... TIP you do not know anywhere as much as GM Saab powertrain engineers
PS a VTA vented catch can system will also require re tuning as you will have created a massive vacuum leak.
But that "milk" will never return into the engine again.
I'm not better than them. But, they designed it protecting the environment, and I will design it protecting my engine and wallet.

Old 7th March 2019
Saab Lunatic

Garage

Quote:
But that "milk" will never return into the engine again.
I'm not better than them. But, they designed it protecting the environment, and I will design it protecting my engine and wallet.

In my opinion, it's not worth even thinking about. There's so much to the WHOLE PCV that you'd be starting a massive headache compared to what you're afraid of now. These cars rely on a number of systems all working together for one thing to function correctly. You want to bypass vacuum lines? One way valves that stop back flow? Sensors? It's just not worth it.
A better idea is this, drop the Oil pan (or take it to a place that can do it) and inspect the pick up filter and pan, clean the pan out if needed and ONLY run FULLY synthetic oil (DEXOS or GM-LL-025 spec). Update the PCV system to I believe it's PCV 6 (unless it's already been done). And you'll NEVER have to worry about sludge, thus your engine is saved, and in the long term, so is your wallet.
Old 7th March 2019

Quote:
In my opinion, it's not worth even thinking about. There's so much to the WHOLE PCV that you'd be starting a massive headache compared to what you're afraid of now. These cars rely on a number of systems all working together for one thing to function correctly. You want to bypass vacuum lines? One way valves that stop back flow? Sensors? It's just not worth it.
A better idea is this, drop the Oil pan (or take it to a place that can do it) and inspect the pick up filter and pan, clean the pan out if needed and ONLY run FULLY synthetic oil (DEXOS or GM-LL-025 spec). Update the PCV system to I believe it's PCV 6 (unless it's already been done). And you'll NEVER have to worry about sludge, thus your engine is saved, and in the long term, so is your wallet.
I understand what you mean, and I will consider that.
Honestly since I bought the car I never change the PCV and that worries me, thats why I posted it to look other ways.

Old 7th March 2019
Saab Lunatic

Garage

Quote:
I understand what you mean, and I will consider that.
Honestly since I bought the car I never change the PCV and that worries me, thats why I posted it to look other ways.

It's possible it was already updated. Ask in the Workshop section "How do I know if my PCV was updated".
Old 7th March 2019

Quote:
It's possible it was already updated. Ask in the Workshop section "How do I know if my PCV was updated".
Thanks for the help man!
Good luck!

Old 8th March 2019
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Sep 2014                                                
My Saabs: 06 9-5 Wagon, 07 9-5 Aero, 07 9-3 Aero

You can add a catch can to the system. It can help reduce blow by if you're original system is plugged and in need of replacement. You are better off just updating to the latest SAAB system.

I added a catch can to my 06 because there was excess blowby and Iam too lazy to replace the catch can on the block until I do my rebuild. I drilled out the nipple on the oil fill tube and hooked up a hose and a catch can and hung it off the engine mount near the firewall. My blowby issue stopped and yes, that can collects a chocolate milkshake and needs to be drained every so often but there have been zero side effects of doing this. I will say that for me, this is only a temporary solution.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 - I have one like this. Suprisingly well built for a sheap Chinese catch can.
Old 8th March 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJB View Post
You can add a catch can to the system. It can help reduce blow by if you're original system is plugged and in need of replacement. You are better off just updating to the latest SAAB system.

I added a catch can to my 06 because there was excess blowby and Iam too lazy to replace the catch can on the block until I do my rebuild. I drilled out the nipple on the oil fill tube and hooked up a hose and a catch can and hung it off the engine mount near the firewall. My blowby issue stopped and yes, that can collects a chocolate milkshake and needs to be drained every so often but there have been zero side effects of doing this. I will say that for me, this is only a temporary solution.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 - I have one like this. Suprisingly well built for a sheap Chinese catch can.
Thats good to know! Do you have photos of it?

Old 11th May 2019

We are working on a catch can for one of our hx35 builds as we speak. If we make progress soon I will update you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement