PCV Delete - SaabCentral Forums
*
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum


Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-5 Mk.I, 1998-2009 > 9-5 Performance, Mods & Tuning

9-5 Performance, Mods & Tuning Covers Tuning & Performance modifications for the 9-5

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 7th March 2019
NelsonITR NelsonITR is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019                                                
Posts: 16
Default PCV Delete

Hi

Does anyone know how to delete de PCV hoses kit and change it for a catch can with crank ventilation?
Anyone knows a DIY for this?

I'm talking about a B235R from a 2002 95 Aero.

Thanks

Enviado do meu SM-G950F através do Tapatalk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 7th March 2019
Nocturne's Avatar
Nocturne Nocturne is offline
Saab Lunatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2010                                                
Location: Bowmanville Ontario
My Saabs: 2005 9-5 Aero Saabllennium Falcon
Posts: 2,202
Garage
Default

There already is a catch can. It's on the back of the motor (right side when facing front of car). The catch can is part of the whole PCV system.
Why do you want to try and delete it? Having an issue? Or....
__________________
2004 9-3 Linear Fully Loaded - R.I.P July 28 2015
2005 Saab 9-5 Aero Fully loaded
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 7th March 2019
NelsonITR NelsonITR is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019                                                
Posts: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturne View Post
There already is a catch can. It's on the back of the motor (right side when facing front of car). The catch can is part of the whole PCV system.

Why do you want to try and delete it? Having an issue? Or....
I want to prevent an issue. I want to replace it for aftermarket pieces and have a simplier circuit. With that, i guess prevent the oil sludge.

Enviado do meu SM-G950F através do Tapatalk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
  #4  
Old 7th March 2019
qwikredline qwikredline is offline
Saab on the Brain!
 
Join Date: Apr 2012                                                
Location: Blackstock Ontario
My Saabs: 2007 9.5 Combi Sport
Posts: 5,889
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NelsonITR View Post
I want to prevent an issue. I want to replace it for aftermarket pieces and have a simplier circuit. With that, i guess prevent the oil sludge.

Enviado do meu SM-G950F através do Tapatalk
what you are proposing will fail and cause more moisture and more sludge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 7th March 2019
NelsonITR NelsonITR is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019                                                
Posts: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwikredline View Post
what you are proposing will fail and cause more moisture and more sludge.
How is that possible?

Enviado do meu SM-G950F através do Tapatalk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 7th March 2019
qwikredline qwikredline is offline
Saab on the Brain!
 
Join Date: Apr 2012                                                
Location: Blackstock Ontario
My Saabs: 2007 9.5 Combi Sport
Posts: 5,889
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NelsonITR View Post
How is that possible?

Enviado do meu SM-G950F através do Tapatalk
because the blowby gasses will be routed by you to a remote mount metal cannister where they will cool and condense creating a water/oil chocolate milk colored residue... but whatever. You go do it, just make sure you post up your experience... TIP you do not know anywhere as much as GM Saab powertrain engineers
PS a VTA vented catch can system will also require re tuning as you will have created a massive vacuum leak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 7th March 2019
NelsonITR NelsonITR is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019                                                
Posts: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwikredline View Post
because the blowby gasses will be routed by you to a remote mount metal cannister where they will cool and condense creating a water/oil chocolate milk colored residue... but whatever. You go do it, just make sure you post up your experience... TIP you do not know anywhere as much as GM Saab powertrain engineers
PS a VTA vented catch can system will also require re tuning as you will have created a massive vacuum leak.
But that "milk" will never return into the engine again.
I'm not better than them. But, they designed it protecting the environment, and I will design it protecting my engine and wallet.

Enviado do meu SM-G950F através do Tapatalk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 7th March 2019
Nocturne's Avatar
Nocturne Nocturne is offline
Saab Lunatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2010                                                
Location: Bowmanville Ontario
My Saabs: 2005 9-5 Aero Saabllennium Falcon
Posts: 2,202
Garage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NelsonITR View Post
But that "milk" will never return into the engine again.
I'm not better than them. But, they designed it protecting the environment, and I will design it protecting my engine and wallet.

Enviado do meu SM-G950F através do Tapatalk
In my opinion, it's not worth even thinking about. There's so much to the WHOLE PCV that you'd be starting a massive headache compared to what you're afraid of now. These cars rely on a number of systems all working together for one thing to function correctly. You want to bypass vacuum lines? One way valves that stop back flow? Sensors? It's just not worth it.
A better idea is this, drop the Oil pan (or take it to a place that can do it) and inspect the pick up filter and pan, clean the pan out if needed and ONLY run FULLY synthetic oil (DEXOS or GM-LL-025 spec). Update the PCV system to I believe it's PCV 6 (unless it's already been done). And you'll NEVER have to worry about sludge, thus your engine is saved, and in the long term, so is your wallet.
__________________
2004 9-3 Linear Fully Loaded - R.I.P July 28 2015
2005 Saab 9-5 Aero Fully loaded
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 7th March 2019
NelsonITR NelsonITR is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019                                                
Posts: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturne View Post
In my opinion, it's not worth even thinking about. There's so much to the WHOLE PCV that you'd be starting a massive headache compared to what you're afraid of now. These cars rely on a number of systems all working together for one thing to function correctly. You want to bypass vacuum lines? One way valves that stop back flow? Sensors? It's just not worth it.
A better idea is this, drop the Oil pan (or take it to a place that can do it) and inspect the pick up filter and pan, clean the pan out if needed and ONLY run FULLY synthetic oil (DEXOS or GM-LL-025 spec). Update the PCV system to I believe it's PCV 6 (unless it's already been done). And you'll NEVER have to worry about sludge, thus your engine is saved, and in the long term, so is your wallet.
I understand what you mean, and I will consider that.
Honestly since I bought the car I never change the PCV and that worries me, thats why I posted it to look other ways.

Enviado do meu SM-G950F através do Tapatalk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 7th March 2019
Nocturne's Avatar
Nocturne Nocturne is offline
Saab Lunatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2010                                                
Location: Bowmanville Ontario
My Saabs: 2005 9-5 Aero Saabllennium Falcon
Posts: 2,202
Garage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NelsonITR View Post
I understand what you mean, and I will consider that.
Honestly since I bought the car I never change the PCV and that worries me, thats why I posted it to look other ways.

Enviado do meu SM-G950F através do Tapatalk
It's possible it was already updated. Ask in the Workshop section "How do I know if my PCV was updated".
__________________
2004 9-3 Linear Fully Loaded - R.I.P July 28 2015
2005 Saab 9-5 Aero Fully loaded
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11  
Old 7th March 2019
NelsonITR NelsonITR is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019                                                
Posts: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturne View Post
It's possible it was already updated. Ask in the Workshop section "How do I know if my PCV was updated".
Thanks for the help man!
Good luck!

Enviado do meu SM-G950F através do Tapatalk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12  
Old 8th March 2019
SJB's Avatar
SJB SJB is offline
Saab Crazy
 
Join Date: Sep 2014                                                
Location: Michigan
My Saabs: 06 9-5 Wagon, 07 9-5 Aero, 07 9-3 Aero
Posts: 884
Default

You can add a catch can to the system. It can help reduce blow by if you're original system is plugged and in need of replacement. You are better off just updating to the latest SAAB system.

I added a catch can to my 06 because there was excess blowby and Iam too lazy to replace the catch can on the block until I do my rebuild. I drilled out the nipple on the oil fill tube and hooked up a hose and a catch can and hung it off the engine mount near the firewall. My blowby issue stopped and yes, that can collects a chocolate milkshake and needs to be drained every so often but there have been zero side effects of doing this. I will say that for me, this is only a temporary solution.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 - I have one like this. Suprisingly well built for a sheap Chinese catch can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13  
Old 8th March 2019
NelsonITR NelsonITR is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019                                                
Posts: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJB View Post
You can add a catch can to the system. It can help reduce blow by if you're original system is plugged and in need of replacement. You are better off just updating to the latest SAAB system.



I added a catch can to my 06 because there was excess blowby and Iam too lazy to replace the catch can on the block until I do my rebuild. I drilled out the nipple on the oil fill tube and hooked up a hose and a catch can and hung it off the engine mount near the firewall. My blowby issue stopped and yes, that can collects a chocolate milkshake and needs to be drained every so often but there have been zero side effects of doing this. I will say that for me, this is only a temporary solution.



https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 - I have one like this. Suprisingly well built for a sheap Chinese catch can.
Thats good to know! Do you have photos of it?

Enviado do meu SM-G950F através do Tapatalk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14  
Old 11th May 2019
Info@snailkit.com's Avatar
[email protected] Info@snailkit.com is offline
Active Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019                                                
Posts: 37
Default

We are working on a catch can for one of our hx35 builds as we speak. If we make progress soon I will update you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SaabCentral Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OnStar Antenna Delete DeckManDubs 9-3 Sedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop - ALL Engines 19 3rd February 2016 12:32 PM
Muffler delete vs Magnaflow Angel94 9-3 Sedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop - ALL Engines 17 7th August 2014 10:21 AM
problem in PM box Dave 37 Community Help 11 20th June 2014 08:50 AM
Morning am blues(moke) and AC delete question... brewtide 9-5 Workshop 0 14th May 2010 12:45 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:12 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

top of page | sitemap | email us



copyright © 2003 - 2011 saabcentral.com, All rights reserved http://www.whiter.co.uk - valid xhtml - valid css
SaabCentral is an independently run website and is not affiliated in any way to Saab Automobile AB.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
 

Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.