Looking for advice on a high mileage 9-3 sportcombi. - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > 9-3 Sedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop - ALL Engines > 9-3 Sedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop - ALL Engines

9-3 Sedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop - ALL Engines 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X, 2003 - 2012 Technical & Repair

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 7th March 2019

Join Date: Mar 2019                                                
Default Looking for advice on a high mileage 9-3 sportcombi.

I bought a 9-3 sportcombi about a year ago with over 200,000 Miles for really cheap. The clear coat was peeling on the roof and and hood. I had that repainted. Otherwise body is in excellent shape.
Here is my dilemma it's leaking oil from I don't know where. It runs really well. The engine has gotten noticably louder Last summer. The exhaust shop said no leaks. I don't know the history of the car. I'm guessing it needs the timing guide and tensioner. Probably some oil seals. No check engine light or any other problems other than the gas gauge. I have a clunk up front I need to find. I replaced 2 mounts on the bottom of the engine. Going to do the others when the weather breaks.
So I'm thinking is it worth the trouble to fix the engine because of the high mileage or should I just run it until it dies and put in a freshened up junkyard motor. If I decide to fix the engine in the car I'm considering pulling out the engine so I can do water pump, guides, and anything else that needs done. I've been watching a lot of videos and it seems really tight to do the work with the engine in the car. Or Should I just do the work with engine in the car? If I pull it would it be better to just put a lower mileage engine in all freshened up?
This is a second car so I don't need to get it done quickly. Any thoughts or advice? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 7th March 2019
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Apr 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9-3 Linear

Water pump isn't a horrible job, not enjoyable though. Make sure to get the special tool, get the full circle one not the half. It ensures you won't drop any bolts into the sump. A magnetic 10mm is also helpful. I did the balance shaft guide and tensioner in the car as well. Be careful as it's a slippery slope. Once you start taking things apart you start to find more things wrong.
Old 7th March 2019

Thanks for the response. That is exactly kinda what I'm worried about finding more and more stuff wrong. Lol. I'm just wondering if it worth it to dump Time and money into a 200,000 mile motor. I'm thinking about getting a junkyard one and have it ready to go when the one in the car goes. Idk what to do? I've never pulled an engine out but I think I can do it.
Old 7th March 2019

Join Date: Sep 2017                                                
My Saabs: 2005 Saab 9-3t

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed29 View Post
Thanks for the response. That is exactly kinda what I'm worried about finding more and more stuff wrong. Lol. I'm just wondering if it worth it to dump Time and money into a 200,000 mile motor. I'm thinking about getting a junkyard one and have it ready to go when the one in the car goes. Idk what to do? I've never pulled an engine out but I think I can do it.
What's a junkyard motor cost? If you overhaul your motor, you know what you have and probably get another 100,000 out of it. If you get a junkyard motor, you're back to not knowing what you have. Unless you're overhauling the junkyard motor. Pulling a motor is not hard at all. Label hoses, wires and connections. If you're still leery, take pictures while you take things apart. Then you have pictures to look back on. I do both when I pull motors.

Sent from my 9-3
Old 7th March 2019

Well I found one really close to me for $600 it has 114,000 miles. I don't plan on tearing it completely down. Just new guides, tensioner, water pump. Clean everything up put new gaskets on. Is that a decent price? Is it worth it? What all should I do to it if I go this route?
Old 8th March 2019

Join Date: Sep 2017                                                
My Saabs: 2005 Saab 9-3t

$600 seems like a good deal to me.

Sent from my 9-3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement