17ís for performance or 18ís for looks? - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab Ownership General Topics > Wheels & Tires

Wheels & Tires Technical discussions about wheels fitment & tire specifications and reviews, independent of car model and year. Sponsored by Discount Tire

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 21st September 2015
SaabNut!

Join Date: Mar 2004                                                
My Saabs: 2011 9-3 Aero SS
Default 17ís for performance or 18ís for looks?

So I’m thinking about some new wheels for the 2008 Aero I just bought. This particular car came with ALU59 wheels instead of the more typical ALU71’s, the original owner had them changed when the car was bought new.

I kind of like the looks of the ALU59’s but both right side wheels have pretty bad curb rash and the car is still on the original tires (car has only 21K miles, but the tires are from 2007). So at minimum I need either replace/refinish the 2 curbed wheels and get some new tires, OR replace the whole setup with some 18’s. If I do that, I am thinking about a set of ALU73’s to maintain an OE style look with some 235/45R18's.

On the one hand, the 17” wheel/tire package is probably at least 5 pounds lighter than an equivalent 18” setup so the suspension dynamics are probably better with the 17's. But the 18’s would look better. Any thoughts on this dilemma? I’m just wondering what the hit will be from a suspension harshness and handling point of view to jump up to the larger wheel and tire size. I know that TX wheels were 18”, but I don’t know the weight of the TX wheels relative to a set of 17’s or the ALU73’s.

Opinions/first hand experience are very welcome!
1995 Mazda RX7 R2

Last edited by jza80; 22nd September 2015 at 05:32 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 22nd September 2015

Join Date: Jul 2005                                                
My Saabs: 2000 9-3 se

Well it's not all wheel weight. The eighteens will have a shorter sidewall which will give you less sidewall flex making it better for corners. But I'm not sure what the best balance is for your car.
Old 22nd September 2015
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Nov 2010                                                
My Saabs: 9-3 Sportcombi 2008

Your problem is that you are retaining the same tyre width and sidewall height, so add the larger wheel and you're gonna REALLY fill the guards, maybe too much with rubbing etc.

Old 22nd September 2015
SaabNut!

Thanks for the replies!
My thought was to stay with OEM sizing, I believe the TX uses 235/45 18. If I went with 235/40 18 that just about matches the diameter of the existing but the ride harshness will likely worsen.
1995 Mazda RX7 R2
Old 22nd September 2015
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Nov 2010                                                
My Saabs: 9-3 Sportcombi 2008

There's no free lunch here, you will struggle by just going up a size without reducing the sidewall.

Go here http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Tire-Size-Calculator

That puts your circumference change at 4%, rule of thumb is to stay within 3% or your speedo and ABS etc start to get confused.

You can probably get away with it but make sure it fits.
Old 22nd September 2015
SaabNut!

Thanks, I figured that if I went to 18's then I would change the tire size in Tech 2. I know that there are tradeoffs, I have upsized and downsized wheels in other cars. What I was curious about was how the 9-3 responded to a heavier wheel and tire combo, was there noticeable change to suspension dynamics and to a lesser extent vehicle acceleration.

Probably it is okay since SAAB offered the 18" size with 235/45 for the 9-3 in other markets and for the TX in the US. Maybe I am overthinking it...
1995 Mazda RX7 R2
Old 22nd September 2015

Join Date: Aug 2004                                                
My Saabs: '06 9≥ 2.0T Combi, BCB Stg 2
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
There's no free lunch here, you will struggle by just going up a size without reducing the sidewall.

Go here http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Tire-Size-Calculator

That puts your circumference change at 4%, rule of thumb is to stay within 3% or your speedo and ABS etc start to get confused.

You can probably get away with it but make sure it fits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jza80 View Post
Thanks, I figured that if I went to 18's then I would change the tire size in Tech 2. I know that there are tradeoffs, I have upsized and downsized wheels in other cars. What I was curious about was how the 9-3 responded to a heavier wheel and tire combo, was there noticeable change to suspension dynamics and to a lesser extent vehicle acceleration.

Probably it is okay since SAAB offered the 18" size with 235/45 for the 9-3 in other markets and for the TX in the US. Maybe I am overthinking it...
Does one really have to use Tech 2 to change the wheel/tire sizes in the ECU (or whatever else computers need the info) if the size discrepancies are < 3% from stock size ?

Also, jza80 ..... that 1010tires tire size calculator provides you all the different popular brands and models of tires available at each of the up-/down-sizing ....... useful to have and plan your purchase based on the options available at each size.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Honesty is the best policy, but insanity is a better defense." - Steve Landesberg
Old 22nd September 2015
SaabNut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaabKen View Post
Does one really have to use Tech 2 to change the wheel/tire sizes in the ECU (or whatever else computers need the info) if the size discrepancies are < 3% from stock size ?
Probably not, but I have a Tech 2 so it would be something that I can easily do. In fact, the car is about 2-3% off right now (45MPH indicated is about ~43MPH on radar) so I am going to adjust it whichever way I go.
1995 Mazda RX7 R2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement