Your Review of ALL-SEASON & SUMMER Tires - Page 3 - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab Ownership General Topics > Wheels & Tires

Wheels & Tires Technical discussions about wheels fitment & tire specifications and reviews, independent of car model and year. Sponsored by Discount Tire

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 23rd August 2015

Join Date: Aug 2004                                                
My Saabs: '06 9 2.0T Combi, BCB Stg 2
Garage

Curious on your 38PSI front, 32PSI rear (cold) for road tire pressure (commuting). Enquiring minds want to know.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Honesty is the best policy, but insanity is a better defense." - Steve Landesberg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 23rd August 2015
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jan 2011                                                
My Saabs: 2005 9-3 SS Aero

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaabKen View Post
Curious on your 38PSI front, 32PSI rear (cold) for road tire pressure (commuting). Enquiring minds want to know.
I draw from my years of autocross experience to run my own tire pressures, all in effort to balance contact patch, wear, stability, and comfort.

Saab recommends for my car on 17" tires, 35psi all-corners for light loads and 41psi all-corners for heavy loads. These are general "safe" numbers for regular people, but neither are ideal for all conditions.

My two problems with these recommended pressures are that either:
1) They're too high and not comfortable for my lowered suspension and 18x8" wheels (235/40/18).
2) Too low and doesn't support the front adequately.

Let's start with the front axle. These are very front-heavy cars, even the 2.0T engine. I often found that with 35psi, the tire would roll over a bit past its outside shoulder treads and onto its sidewall during turning. And I felt like I wasn't getting all the traction and poise that the tire had to offer. After a lot of testing I felt that 38psi was a good balance of contact patch and comfort. Ride quality at 41psi is punishing.

Now let's move onto the rear axle. This car being very front-heavy, the rear doesn't get a lot of load placed on it. You can see that by looking at the tire tires after driving on a dusty surface. At 35psi, not all of the tire tread even makes contact with the ground. Maybe only 3/4 of the inner treads regularly contact the ground depending on your camber setting. This is a sign of over-inflation which means your ride is not as comfortable as it can be, and in the long run can lead to uneven wear. I found that 32psi gives a proper even contact patch and ride comfort is better.

Of course results from car to car will vary depending on rim size & width vs the size & width of the tire in relation, and the individual characteristics of the tire play a roll as well (like how stiff the sidewalls are).

Anyways for those wondering, my alignment is usually in check and I've never had uneven tire wear unless I was intentionally over-inflating for the track or the tire had seen a lot of corning abuse. Also I'm well aware that higher pressures in the rear vs the front for FWD cars give a more neutral and almost tail-happy handling, but I just don't drive like that every day.
Old 18th October 2015

Join Date: Jul 2015                                                
My Saabs: 2008 9-3 Aero XWD

BRAND: Michelin
Model: Primacy MXM4
Type (summer/all-season): A/S
Size (tread width/aspect/diameter): 225/50/17
Your car: 2008 Saab 9-3 Aero XWD
Price paid: came with car
Vendor: N/A
Miles/KMs driven so far: 11,000
Impression so far (describe): Michelins demand a higher price for a reason: they are exceptionally good all-around perfomers. I've driven my 9-3 Aero aggressively and while the tires do wear more than other A/S I've had on other cars over the years, the grip, noise, comfort, and durability is all pretty impressive. Even after 7 years, they show very little sign of breakdown. And you can get a full sent for about $600 now, not bad by Michelin standards.
Overall subjective rating (1=poor/5=excellent): 4.5
Other comments: Have not tested them in snow yet.

Old 15th November 2015
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Dec 2004                                                
My Saabs: 9-5 Diesel

Model: Cross Climate
Size (tread width/aspect/diameter): 225/45/17
Your car: 2007 Saab 9-3 TID Wagon
Price paid: 95
Vendor: Black Circles
Miles/KMs driven so far: 2,000M

Equivalent to most other tyres I've used in the warm and dry.

In the wet, exceptional. Aquaplaning is virtually non-existent. The water simply flies out the sides, nothing comes up over the hood.

The tread pattern is like an agricultural vehicle with all the treads faced across the width. Most summer tyres have radial treads and winters a combination of both. These look like a racing JCB would have!

Waiting for Snow and Ice now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	michelin-cross-climate.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	162609  

Last edited by hunt.dogshome; 15th November 2015 at 12:42 PM. Reason: piccy
Old 15th November 2015

Join Date: Aug 2004                                                
My Saabs: '06 9 2.0T Combi, BCB Stg 2
Garage

I've never noticed your signature before, Huntdogshome ....... 這是非常可笑

|

"Honesty is the best policy, but insanity is a better defense." - Steve Landesberg
Old 18th January 2016

Join Date: Dec 2009                                                
My Saabs: 2009 9-3 Aero XWD

BRAND: Bridgestone
Model: TURANZA SERENITY PLUS
Type (summer/all-season): A/S M+S
Size (tread width/aspect/diameter): 225/50/17
Your car: 2009 Saab 9-3 Aero XWD
Price paid: came with car
Vendor: N/A
Miles/KMs driven so far: 600
Impression so far (describe): Came with the car I bought. They are relatively new as they have about 8/32 left in the rear and 6/32 in the fronts. I have the same set on my wife's BMW X3 (used both the original and the Pluses) and the behavior on the 9-3 XWD is very similar. It gives a very composed ride and is EXCELLENT in wet weather. I have never tried these in snow.
Overall subjective rating (1=poor/5=excellent): 5
Other comments: Have not tested them in snow yet. My wife's set lasted for about 35,000 miles before replacement. They get very unsettled towards end of life and lose their grip significantly at 3 to 2/32 depth.
Old 18th January 2016
SaabNut!

Join Date: Mar 2010                                                
My Saabs: 00 9-3 Faux Viggen Stg 3
Garage

BRAND: KUHMO
Model: Ecsta 4X
Type (summer/all-season): Performance All Season
Size (tread width/aspect/diameter): 225/45ZR17 94W XL
Wheel Size/Model: 17 x 8 BBS RK2
Your car: 2005 9-5
Price paid: $175 (bought with 9/32s as take offs)
Vendor: used...
Miles/KMs driven so far: 12,500 miles
Impression so far (describe): First off, these were bought with 5,000 miles on them so keep that in mind. The tires, they are actually my favorite tire to date. They have a good amount of grip and feedback. They wear well and even and do well in the snow. Better than expected for a non-dedicated snow tire. They are however, the noisiest tire I have had.
Overall subjective rating (1=poor/5=excellent): 4
Other comments: Very good tire for someone looking for an all season that will see snow use. If tire noise is an issue, perhaps your exhaust isn't loud enough.
Old 20th February 2016

Join Date: Dec 2015                                                
My Saabs: 2002 9-3 SE

BRAND: Arazonian
Model: Silver Edition
Type (summer/all-season): All season
Size (tread width/aspect/diameter):
Your car: 2002 Saab 93
Price paid: $Around $125 I think
Vendor: Discount Tires
Miles/KMs driven so far: 6000 Miles
Impression so far (describe): Quiet, comfortable, grip well! Tread design is great and they ride great in the snow.
Other comments:
I believe they are actually coopers but are rebranded as "arazonian"
Old 12th March 2016

Join Date: Feb 2016                                                
My Saabs: 2001 9-5 Aero

BRAND: BF Goodrich
Model: g-Force™ Sport COMP-2™
Size (tread width/aspect/diameter): 16" Don't know the rest
Your car: 2001 Saab 9-5 Aero
Price paid: CAN$150
Vendor: Maple Auto Repair
Miles/KMs driven so far: 10'000-15'000km
Impression so far (describe): Phenomenal grip in the dry. Grips when WOT in 1st and 2nd gear. Corners very well. Terrific feel and confidence. Quiet even when exceeding 110mph and holds straight. In the wet, very scary; slow down considerably especially in downpours.
Overall subjective rating (1=poor/5=excellent): 4
Other comments:
Had these installed last year in late spring 2015. This is the first time I pleasured myself with high performance Y rater summer tires so spent the summer driving fast and hard (but not like an *******). By the end of October the front tires had excessive outside and inner tread wear; fronts are no good for a second season. Tread wear on the back set was minimal. Will buy two new ones for the front this summer and consider increasing tire pressure to minimize outer/inner tread wear.

Only downside was in wet conditions. Yikes!!!

Last edited by RockinRedFox; 12th March 2016 at 02:23 PM.
Old 28th September 2016

Join Date: Sep 2016                                                
My Saabs: 2005 93 2.0t

Model: Primacy mxv 4
Type (summer/all-season): all-season
Size (tread width/aspect/diameter): 16"
Your car: 93ss
Price paid: Came with car
Vendor: -?
Miles/KMs driven so far:
Impression so far (describe): They were about 30-50 percent down on tread wear when I bought the car. Decent traction on wet and dry highways and very quiet on the road.
Overall subjective rating (1=poor/5=excellent): 4.5
Other comments: Quite sticky on freeway offramps although they don't look like particularly high performance tires they are as good as any tire I've owned.
Old 3rd October 2016

Join Date: Mar 2015                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9-5 Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by N_Raged View Post

Model: Pilot Super Sport
Type (summer/all-season): Max Performance Summer
Size (tread width/aspect/diameter): 225/45/17 on 7 wide rim.
Your car: 2005 Saab 9-3 Aero Sedan w/ stock Aero springs and Bilstein dampers.
Price paid: $1030 CAD including taxes and installation.
Vendor: Tires23.com
Miles/KMs driven: 21,758km including 1 track day and 12 autocross events.

Impressions on the track: Brilliant dynamics though not as extreme as other track focused tires. Progressive grip up to the limit and its audible to let you know. Turn-in is very sharp and makes my cars passive rear wheel steering (ReAxs) come alive. This makes chucking the car around really fun. Confident traction in the wet. Rubber compound withstands abuse quite well, except Saab got it wrong recommending a 225mm section tire on the stock 7 rim which made the tire rollover on its sidewalls wearing them down quicker than the rest of the tire.

Impressions on the road: Stiff sidewalls which were good for handling, but dont absorb big bumps well. Hits from potholes and expansion joints are jarring and get worse as the tire wears because theres less rubber to squish around and absorb the impact. On the bright side, tread noise is very minimal overall. Little rolling resistance means easier coasting at high speeds and better MPG. Good treadlife for what you get in performance. Very safe in the wet and resists aquaplaning.

Overall subjective rating (1=poor/5=excellent): 5.0
Other comments: Track tire pressure = 44PSI front and 45PSI back (hot). Road tire pressure = 35PSI front, 36PSI rear (cold).
These are superb, I got them from Costco. $540 for the set with install.

I live in Hawaii and I push them to the limit in the dry and in the wet and they STICK even in torrential downpours.

But they wear fast I am about to install the second set after around 11K miles

Using 235/45/17
Old 1st March 2017

My Saabs: Saab 9-5 Aero Sedan

Brand: Michelin
Model: Pilot Sport A/S+
Type: All-season
Size: 235 45 R17
Your car: 2007 Saab 9-5 Aero with stock rims
Price paid: Neighborhood of $600, I think. This was years ago.
Vendor: Tire Discounters in Florence, Kentucky
Miles/KMs driven: Lots

Impressions on the road: These tires have now reached the end of their lives and will be replaced tomorrow. When new, these tires handled well and were reasonably quiet, though not the quietest I've ever had. Rain traction was not the best when new, but passable. I don't drive when it snows, but I have been caught in unexpected wintery weather and snow traction was, and still is, the worst I've ever experienced from an all-season. Now that they are old, noise levels have ramped up significantly. Even though there is theoratically enough tread left to last me several more months, the wet traction is straight-up dangerous. I never imagined that a tire could be this dreadful in the rain. They hydroplane with the slightest provocation and hitting a surprise puddle makes me pee a little.

Overall subjective rating (1=poor/5=excellent): 2 - I will never buy these again.

Other comments: Tomorrow, I'm installing General Tire Altimax RT-43. Reviews on them are consistently very good. I will report first impressions on them at a later date.
Old 2nd March 2017
Saab Crazy

Join Date: May 2014                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-5 Aero stage 3+
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCleaner View Post

BRAND: Goodyear
Model: Eagle F1 Asymmetric All-Season
Type (summer/all-season): Ultra High Performance All-Season
Size (tread width/aspect/diameter): 234/45zr17
Your car: 2006 Saab 9-5
Price paid: 162/each plus install, alignment (my price ended up at $955 out the door, including tax, install, road hazard $100, and alignment $55)
Vendor: Goodyear Auto Service
Miles/KMs driven so far: 150
Impression so far (describe): Comparing these to my worn out Continental DWS tires is difficult since I didn't get the DWS' brand new. Plus I've only had them for a very short time. However, the grip is amazing, both in dry and wet. I'm very impressed and the cornering is phenomenal. There is a slight bit of road noise but I think it's due to them being brand new and a slight wear will help there but it isn't unpleasant and could just be because I'm thinking about a new purchase too hard. With a 45k tread warranty these are an excellent buy and they are almost like driving on summer tires. This was on my short list of UHP all-seasons and in the end it won out based on the strong reviews on Tire Rack and on Discount Tire's sites combined with the tread warranty.
Other comments:
other options in this UHP-AS range include the RE970-AS Pole Positions, the DWS, the AS/3, and a few others. These are basically the highest end all-seasons available in this upper price range.
I don't think there's a way for me to edit the original post....unless a moderator wants to combine them.

UPDATE:

I still give these a 5.

The tire noise calmed down after the initial 500 miles. They still aren't as quiet as my old DWS', but they are firmer in the corners. My only complaint is that they aren't as sticky as summer tires. I can't knock that, as I haven't found any all-seasons that are.

Wet traction is amazing. I don't think I can recall slipping/hydroplaning in a situation that would have caused the DWS to slip at all in them the entire time.

If you live in a temperate climate where you don't swap between summer and winter tires, then these are an excellent all-season tire to keep on 365 days a year.

I'll probably try the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3 next time just for a change, but they would add another $150 to the bill for 4.

I was around 25k miles on them, but got new 18s so had to buy new tires. I bought another set of these for about the same price out the door.

My Saab:

Old 3rd March 2017
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Feb 2013                                                
My Saabs: 2008 Red SportCombi 2.0T

BRAND: BF Goodrich
Model:
G-Force Sport Comp2 Type (Performance Summer):
Size:
235/45-ZR17, on 17 x 7.5 wheels.
Your car:
2008 9-3 SportCombi 2.0T manual
Price paid:
(lost track, 3 years ago)
Vendor:
Tirerack
Miles/KMs driven so far:
16000 km, 9900 miles before the front tires became worn. (approx.) I diid not do a rotation, this way next summer I only bought 2 more, for the front.
Impression so far:
Wow, sticky, even in the wet. Tracks straight, even in higway puddles. The safest tire I ever got. Noise? Who cares! Not so bad. Less than winter tires anyway.
Overall subjective rating (1=poor/5=excellent):4
Just because of the fast wear. I knew about it, it's no surprise.
Other comments:
DO NOT drive these tire if the temp goes below 5C/40F. They become as hard as ABS plastic!
-About post #49, "Only downside was in wet conditions. Yikes!!!" I do not understand how this can be. Maybe different tire pressures?
I inflated mine at 40-42 PSI.
-Why didn't I bought those tires again, after 2 years? I wanted ONCE in my life to have a set of ZR killer summer tires. Not financially reasonable, but hey it's off the bucket list.

Last edited by KillroyPete; 3rd March 2017 at 01:22 AM.
Old 14th May 2017
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Dec 2004                                                
My Saabs: 9-5 Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunt.dogshome View Post
Model: Cross Climate
Size (tread width/aspect/diameter): 225/45/17
Your car: 2007 Saab 9-3 TID Wagon
Price paid: 95
Vendor: Black Circles
Miles/KMs driven so far: 2,000M

Equivalent to most other tyres I've used in the warm and dry.

In the wet, exceptional. Aquaplaning is virtually non-existent. The water simply flies out the sides, nothing comes up over the hood.

The tread pattern is like an agricultural vehicle with all the treads faced across the width. Most summer tyres have radial treads and winters a combination of both. These look like a racing JCB would have!

Waiting for Snow and Ice now.
Time for new tyres. I've had some Michelin Primacy 3 on and these give a very sure turn-in and less understeer than everything else I've tried. But I do like the cross climate. Not as sharp in the dry, but on wet roads, grass, mud and dirt, they are much different to other all-season types. Not in fear of getting stuck unless it's up to the sills. When in the weeds on a single track lane, to avoid a tractor I get no wheelspin or slithering like a normal tyre will. Unless you boot it of course.

We've had a very mild couple of winters and I've not had a chance to compare on ice or snow. The Primacy also works well in the wet and I've had no scares - but then it hasn't been that wet either!

Wear isn't much different to other types. But now everyone is liking the cross climate, the price has gone up!

I'm also Hunterised and camber adjusted at the front. My tyres wear very evenly. I run 39PSI all round.

For all season = 5.0
For summer = 4.5

Old 2nd May 2018

My Saabs: Saab 9-5 Aero Sedan

BRAND: General Tire
Model: Altimax RT43
Size (tread width/aspect/diameter): 235 45 R17
Your car: 2007 Saab 9-5 Aero
Price paid: 800 w/ tax CAD
Vendor: Active Green + Ross
Miles/KMs driven so far: 12,000km

These are fantastic. They're quite grippy on dry pavement and the best I've ever had in rain. They're even shockingly good on the snow, almost as good as any winter tire I've ever used. They also track much straighter than the Michelins I used to have. The price is great too. I will never again pay for overpriced big-name brand tires. These put the Michelins to shame. I like them so much I'm putting them on the Mazda 6 I just bought right now.
Old 30th July 2018
SaabNut!

Join Date: Mar 2018                                                
My Saabs: 00 9-3 Aero (B205R)
Garage
Smile

Model: Pilot Sport 4
Type (summer/all-season): S
Size (tread width/aspect/diameter): 205/50/16 91W
Your car: 2000 Saab 9-3 Aero
Price paid: NZD $892 + fitting (223 each)
Vendor: Hyperdrive
Miles/KMs driven so far: Not much - Brand new on weekend. Still learning how they feel - Taking it easy on damp Auckland roads.
The previous tyres I had were a brand I was not familiar with - They were Headway Horace Hu901 - same size - 205/50/16. As these tyres were getting old circa 2012 I opted to change them to Michelins.
Old 22nd October 2018

Join Date: Mar 2016                                                
My Saabs: 2007 9-3 2.0T Manual

BRAND: Pirelli
Model: Cinturato P7
Type (summer/all-season): Grant Touring All-Season
Size (tread width/aspect/diameter): 225/45r17
Your car: 2007 Saab 9-3
Price paid: $200 (set of 4)
Vendor: Firend (used)
Miles/KMs driven so far: 2-3000 miles
Impression so far (describe): Very predictable handling. They don't break free without warning. Not the quietest tire, but not as noisy as I was afraid of. Dry traction is pretty good, but not 'summer tire' level. Wet traction is also good. Actually matches the Tire Rack reviews, which I'm happy about.
Other comments: I bought them used (known history), with 90% tread life left.
Old 22nd October 2018
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Apr 2012                                                
My Saabs: 2007 9.5 Combi Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
Model: Pilot Sport 4
Type (summer/all-season): S
Size (tread width/aspect/diameter): 205/50/16 91W
Your car: 2000 Saab 9-3 Aero
Price paid: NZD $892 + fitting (223 each)
Vendor: Hyperdrive
Miles/KMs driven so far: Not much - Brand new on weekend. Still learning how they feel - Taking it easy on damp Auckland roads.
The previous tyres I had were a brand I was not familiar with - They were Headway Horace Hu901 - same size - 205/50/16. As these tyres were getting old circa 2012 I opted to change them to Michelins.
Michelin are brilliant.
Headway?"The HEADWAY HU901 UHP Car Tyres are at the cutting edge of Ultra high Performance tread pattern and design and were designed with central tread ribs ensuring driving stability and a comfortable ride. This economical tyre comes from 16 to 20 inch sizes for passenger car vehicles."

and
"Headway Technology Group is a diversified enterprise located in Dongying City in Shandong Province, China. There they manufacture various kinds of tyres including PCR tyres, TBR tyres, bias OTR tyres and bias truck and bus tyres. Recently their product line was expanded to include alloy wheels, lithium batteries, real estate and some others, while still maintaining a focus on truck and car tyre manufacturing.
Through cooperation with the major universities, the company is able to keep pace in new technology creation, compound improvement, and trend development across the whole Chinese tyre industry. The group has successfully obtained many certificates including ISO9001, TS16949, GB/T24001, GB/T28001, 3C, DOT, ECE, REACH, LABEL, INMETRO, GCC, and SONCAP.
With their strict quality and production management, the Headway Group has established a strategic partnership with large truck manufacturers such as Sinotruck. As of today, the companys annual capacity is 12 million units of PCR tyres and 1.2 million units of TBR tyres. By the end of 2015, the group will increase this to 30 million units of PCR tyres and 3 million TBR tyres.
Headway insist on diversified their development and focusing on a win-win business model for their future growth strategy. By maintaining their awareness of market demands, providing high quality products to their consumers they aim to bring value to the global society, building a reputation as a world class company."

Glad you installed Michelin.
Old 22nd October 2018
Super Moderator

Join Date: Oct 2003                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9SS Linear; 2015 VW GTI
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentJ20 View Post
BRAND: Pirelli
Model: Cinturato P7
Type (summer/all-season): Grant Touring All-Season
Size (tread width/aspect/diameter): 225/45r17
Your car: 2007 Saab 9-3
Price paid: $200 (set of 4)
Vendor: Firend (used)
Miles/KMs driven so far: 2-3000 miles
Impression so far (describe): Very predictable handling. They don't break free without warning. Not the quietest tire, but not as noisy as I was afraid of. Dry traction is pretty good, but not 'summer tire' level. Wet traction is also good. Actually matches the Tire Rack reviews, which I'm happy about.
Other comments: I bought them used (known history), with 90% tread life left.
Glad to see they are working out for you.

Never have less than TWO working key fobs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement