Ads are going too far... - Page 3 - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Community Help Section > Site Announcements

Site Announcements SaabCentral STAFF will post things you NEED to know in here regarding new features and/or changes to the forums.

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 28th January 2012

Join Date: Mar 2008                                                
My Saabs: 1990 Saab 9000 Carlsson 2.0 FPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by administrator View Post
You should not see any of those things when logged in. Where you logged in?

Can i get some screen shots?
Hello and sorry for the late reply.

Clearly this was something outside of the ordinary, the site is just fine now Pardon my annoyance and keep up the good work
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3rd February 2012
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jul 2005                                                
My Saabs: C900 x 3 and 9000 x 1
Default Ad annoyance

Just block ads - that's was good add-on's such as AdBlockPlus (for firefox), etc. are all about.

Similarly, I use a flash blocker to block all flash-based web objects and then I can select which ones I want to load and run.

Also you can use add-on's like NoScript, etc. to block click-tracking sites and other objects using Javascript if you'd like to do that.

I don't know if that sort of thing is available for internet exploder.

Craig.
Flux Capacitor Engineer at Mr Fusion - C900 x 3 + 1 x 9000 - RIP Moose.Parts
Old 4th February 2012
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jan 2007                                                
My Saabs: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by c900 View Post
Just block ads - that's was good add-on's such as AdBlockPlus (for firefox), etc. are all about.

Similarly, I use a flash blocker to block all flash-based web objects and then I can select which ones I want to load and run.

Also you can use add-on's like NoScript, etc. to block click-tracking sites and other objects using Javascript if you'd like to do that.

I don't know if that sort of thing is available for internet exploder.

Craig.
I think this might correct some things you have said. Besides, to me, being forced to have an ad-blocker, is like saying be sure to have protection when you hook up with that one! They've got the clap! Wouldn't you just rather hook up with someone that is clap-free?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision i.T Services View Post
Normally, I wouldn't get in to an Adblock plus argument... but I'm annoyed now

I'm NOT anti-advert; quite the opposite in fact. As you've quite rightly said, ads are everywhere... they make the internet work (financially). The ability to block all of them has a negative impact on everyone. Instead, it's better to provide users with relevant adverts which actually benefit the site. If everyone used Adblock, Google (who rely heavily on advertising revenue) would either cease to exist or have to charge for every product.

For those of you who believe AdBlock Plus increases security/speed; here are a few facts for you to ponder...

Real security apps use whitelists/algorithms (they assume it's bad until proven good)... Adblock uses blacklists.

Adblock Plus gives the extension (and therefore the developer) access to ALL your data, tabs and browsing history. THAT IS NOT SECURE.

Until recently, Adblock Plus allowed XSS. Worse, the developers knew about the issue but didn't think it was a security flaw... until a UC Berkley student proved otherwise. The developer then quickly patched the flaw. That doesn't fill me with confidence, especially as his extension has access to everything I do.

Last but not least, the developer has now realised there's money to be made from ads and (ironically) allowed ads to be shown BY DEFAULT with version 2. Great huh... an ad blocking plugin which allows ads. Guess who decides which ads appear... the developer. Conflict of interest anyone?

Adblock Plus slows the browser because it checks every resource locator against the (ever growing) blacklist. It's a bad design, something which Mozilla themselves agree with after naming ABP one of the worst performing extensions ever.

To add insult to injury, ABP now checks every resource locator against a whitelist of "acceptable ads"; further slowing the browser.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Enthusiast Owned and Operated

Old 4th February 2012
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Aug 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2003 Aero Hirsch "Clone"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
I think this might correct some things you have said. Besides, to me, being forced to have an ad-blocker, is like saying be sure to have protection when you hook up with that one! They've got the clap! Wouldn't you just rather hook up with someone that is clap-free?
Depends on how hot she is...
Old 16th February 2012
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jul 2005                                                
My Saabs: C900 x 3 and 9000 x 1

I am going to look at other ad-blocking options now that I've read more on the 'allowable ad' stuff - that's definitely a conflict of interest IMHO with ABP so will watch that to see how it develops.

I'm definitely keeping the flash blocker though - flash objects chew massive bandwidth and I like to be able to selectively allow or deny the downloading of all flash content.

However I disagree with the notion that 'tailoring' advertising is the right way to go. It sure is for content providers, but for users it's nothing short of annoying. I don't support Google's right to force ads onto users, just like I don't support VerticalScope doing it here. That's the reason I use things like ABP.

Craig.
Flux Capacitor Engineer at Mr Fusion - C900 x 3 + 1 x 9000 - RIP Moose.Parts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement