A short 9-7x Editorial - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-2X, 9-4X & 9-7X Workshop > Saab 9-2X, 9-4X & 9-7X Workshop

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 6th June 2007

Join Date: May 2007                                                
My Saabs: 2000 SAAB 9-5 Aero 5 speed
Default A short 9-7x Editorial

For those on the fence with the 9-7x...

I would say I am one of the strongest defenders of brand identity. I hate the fact that Volvo owns Ford, and I am less than thrilled that GM owns Saab.(I hate Ford period).
Cars with character are what really turn me on, and the very second I can afford to operate 2 vehicles, I will imediately start my search for a 99 Turbo or a 900 SPG.
Now, there is a lot of hate on the 9-7x because it isn't a real Saab. That can be debated. My point is this...it is just an SUV. An SUV is fun to drive like a tractor is fun to drive. Don't get me wrong, I think driving a tractor is fun, but it isn't like driving a sport sedan. If it was, I think there would have been at least 1 of them at Carlisle this year. I searched far and wide and only saw Saab cars.
There is no reason to hate the 9-7X. It keeps money coming in to Saab. It creates new Saab fans, maybe not Saab enthusiasts, but fans nonetheless. It helps to ensure that we have a 9-3 Black Turbo coming...and it will be fast, all wheel drive, and a force that Volvo will not compete with.
Advertisement

Old 6th June 2007

Join Date: Mar 2007                                                
My Saabs: Tarnished Silver 2005 9-7x 4.2i Linear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saab D aka Volvo D
... I hate the fact that Volvo owns Ford...
You were drunk when you wrote this, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 6th June 2007
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Dec 2004                                                
My Saabs: 02 9-5 | 06 9-7x | 04 9-3 no more =(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saab D aka Volvo D
Black Saab Rules!-Jerry Seinfeld
If you can prove that Seinfeld actually said this I will consider leaving this drunk post up

Old 6th June 2007

Join Date: May 2007                                                
My Saabs: 2000 SAAB 9-5 Aero 5 speed

wow. i won't cover my tracks on that one. talk about a wrong reversal. Yeah, Volvo owns them alright

The black saab rules qoute is from an episode of Seinfeld. If you watched the show you'll know he drove a black 900 convertible.
Old 11th June 2007
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Mar 2003                                                
My Saabs: 2009 9-7X 5.3i

I am going to add something here ...

On Saturday I was lucky enough to participate in a test drive event put on by Saab Canada.

The 9-7X (as good as I already knew it was) blew me away by it's handling and poise on the track.
At no time did I feel that it was getting away from me and handled everything I threw at it without any issue ... and I was pushing it to the limits they gave us for the 9-3 and 9-5 ...

Both of the instructors (certified racers) we also most impressed with the handling characteristics of the 9-7.
Old 12th June 2007

Join Date: Aug 2005                                                
My Saabs: '05 9-7X (her car) 06 9-3 VTuned

Check my signature and you'll see that I like well handling cars. My T/A has eibach springs, Koni adjustable rebound shocks, larger front and rear sway bars, 'vette zo6 brakes, poly bushings everywhere, well you get the point. I drive the car the way it was meant to be, and I've gone through my fair share of tires getting my full 1g of laterial grip out of it.

Before getting my 9-3, I drove an Explorer and was literally scared to drive it around turns because it felt so unstable and top heavy. Granted, it was ten years old, but I babied it around because of how unstable it felt. No wonder so many people rolled these things. In stark contrast to that is the 9-7x. Granted, I don't push it the way I do the t/a, but I've never felt scared going around turns at normal speeds. I drove probably a dozen different sport utility vehicles when we were in the market, and nothing gave me that solid, planted feel like the 9-7 did. It drives comfortably pushing it through turns on an on ramp to back road switchbacks.

For everyone bashing the 9-7, saying it's not a true Saab, go drive a trailblazer or envoy, then get into the saab and see how it feels.

Fact is, the high and mighty 9-3 sports sedan is just a chevy malibu with a turbo charged four banger. (I don't feel that way or else I would have bought a malibu).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Saab 9-7x (4.2i) Her car HP tuned.
2000 Pontiac Trans Am, Procharged, 680rwhp/575rwtq, 14psi My toy
2006 9-3, Silver Metalic 2.0T, My daily driver VTuned
Old 13th June 2007

Join Date: Apr 2007                                                
My Saabs: '06 9 Aero SC Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Fact is, the high and mighty 9-3 sports sedan is just a chevy malibu with a turbo charged four banger. (I don't feel that way or else I would have bought a malibu).
On the contray, the 9-3 doesn't look like a Malibu (inside or out) and still is made in Sweden - the 9-7 just can't shake the family resemblance (Trailblazer) and that is it's biggest detractor.
Old 13th June 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli Europa
On the contray, the 9-3 doesn't look like a Malibu (inside or out) and still is made in Sweden - the 9-7 just can't shake the family resemblance (Trailblazer) and that is it's biggest detractor.
My point was that the 9-3 is built on the same platform as the Malibu, just as the 9-7 is built on the same platform as the Trail/Voy. I own both a 9-7 and now a 9-3 because of the things that makes Saab's what they are. The attention to detail, and the sportiness of driving. In no way do I think a 9-3 is comparable to a malibu and in the same manor don't think a 9-7 is in the same league as the trail/voy's.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 13th June 2007
Saab on the Brain!

Quote:
My point was that the 9-3 is built on the same platform as the Malibu, just as the 9-7 is built on the same platform as the Trail/Voy. I own both a 9-7 and now a 9-3 because of the things that makes Saab's what they are. The attention to detail, and the sportiness of driving. In no way do I think a 9-3 is comparable to a malibu and in the same manor don't think a 9-7 is in the same league as the trail/voy's.
It is nice to hear someone say positive things about both of these vehicles.

Having spent considerable time in both while not owning either, I can attest to the fact that they are fantastic at what they were built to do.

And having just watched 2 professional drivers toss the 9-3SS Aero around the way they did with passengers on board gives new insight to the design elements Saab built into the car.
And comments from the crowd (who just drove the same cars) we're "it's a race car" and "holy #&$*" and "unbelieveable".

And to hear a professional driver say that he was most surprised with the 9-7X and the SportCombis ... that is very high praise indeed.

I will say it one more time ... if you have any doubts about any car in the current or past line ups ... DRIVE THEM!
Old 14th June 2007

I followed a Burgundy colored 9-7 for about 15min on the freeway today and untill I got in front of it I thought I was following a Trailblazer - I am sure these SUV's DRIVE nice but they LOOK like a Chevy. Unfortunatley, LOOKs do play a big part in buying decisions and that might be a clue to why 9-7 sales are floundering.
Old 14th June 2007

My Saabs: 2005 9-7 Linear

Quote:
I followed a Burgundy colored 9-7 for about 15min on the freeway today and untill I got in front of it I thought I was following a Trailblazer - I am sure these SUV's DRIVE nice but they LOOK like a Chevy. Unfortunatley, LOOKs do play a big part in buying decisions and that might be a clue to why 9-7 sales are floundering.
Was the SAAB emblem on the tailgate not a clue?
Old 15th June 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose72
Hmmm... It's like putting a Porsche emblem on a VW beetle - the profile of the car defies the badge - especially from 2 or 3 cars back. I'm sure the 9-7 drives nice though.... Cheers.
Old 15th June 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose72
Hmmm... It's like putting a Porsche emblem on a VW beetle - the profile of the car defies the badge - especially from 2 or 3 cars back. I'm sure the 9-7 drives nice though.... Cheers.
Old 15th June 2007

Quote:
If you look at a saab 9-3 from the rear, it looks like every other sedan on the road. Nothing really special going on in the back of a standard 9-3. Granted the aero's have dual tail pipes, but the standard 9-3's look like a jetta or malbiu from the rear.

Old 15th June 2007

Join Date: Apr 2005                                                
My Saabs: Black Saab 9-7x 4.2i

Quote:
Well the Porsche - Beetle connection isn't that far fetched you know. Guess who designed the original Beetle.

Old 15th June 2007

Join Date: Apr 2005                                                
My Saabs: Black Saab 9-7x 4.2i

Quote:
"Still", being the word of the day. In the not too distant future, it will be made in Germany.
Old 15th June 2007

Quote:
If you look at a saab 9-3 from the rear, it looks like every other sedan on the road. Nothing really special going on in the back of a standard 9-3. Granted the aero's have dual tail pipes, but the standard 9-3's look like a jetta or malbiu from the rear.
What do you mean? 2 tailights, a trunklid (bootlid) and a bumper? Common this is silly! no lights are interchangeable on the 9-3, no sheet metal is shared and the visual stance is completely different. The 9-3 was designed as it's own car and shares only the platform - different drive line, interior, glass and sheet metal. The 9-7 comes off of the same assembly line as the Chevy in Moraine, Ohio. GM started with a fully built trailblazer and added a SAAB package to it (grille, suspension, wheels & tires etc)- it has Chevy driveline mostly Chevy sheetmetal, Chevy glass, mostly Chevy interior etc. This is more like what GM did with the 9-2x (Facelift and rebadge)than what SAAB and Alfa did with the 164/9000 (Platform Sharing) but I do admire your fierce loyaly to the 9-7x.
Old 15th June 2007

My Saabs: 2005 9-7 Linear

Quote:
What do you mean? 2 tailights, a trunklid (bootlid) and a bumper? Common this is silly! no lights are interchangeable on the 9-3, no sheet metal is shared and the visual stance is completely different. The 9-3 was designed as it's own car and shares only the platform - different drive line, interior, glass and sheet metal. The 9-7 comes off of the same assembly line as the Chevy in Moraine, Ohio. GM started with a fully built trailblazer and added a SAAB package to it (grille, suspension, wheels & tires etc)- it has Chevy driveline mostly Chevy sheetmetal, Chevy glass, mostly Chevy interior etc. This is more like what GM did with the 9-2x (Facelift and rebadge)than what SAAB and Alfa did with the 164/9000 (Platform Sharing) but I do admire your fierce loyaly to the 9-7x.
Actually, you are mistaken. The 9-7 shares NO sheetmetal with the Chevy. It does share sheetmetal with the Buick Rainer, however, but there are distinct differences, obviously in the front, but also the rear. The interior is nowhere near the Chevy, or the Buick. Have you ever even seen it? Do a little homework. Have a nice day.
Old 16th June 2007

See the attached photos - I rest my case.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Traibblzr-int.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	7814   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rainier-Rear.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	11.0 KB
ID:	7815  
Old 16th June 2007
Saab on the Brain!

And I say again ... hold your superficial opinions to yourself until you have driven it.

Drive it side by side with a Trailblazer or Envoy ... your opinion about the performance of the 9-7X will change.

There is no question where the platform started ... let's get past that and move on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement