Performance Clutch Consensus - Page 18 - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > 9-3 Sedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop - ALL Engines > 9-3 Sedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop - ALL Engines

9-3 Sedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop - ALL Engines 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X, 2003 - 2012 Technical & Repair

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 2nd October 2015

Join Date: Aug 2013                                                
My Saabs: 2007 9-3 Aero

Yes from para pat. He hasn't disappeared. It should show up today I'll post pics. Anyone wanna buy it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 5th October 2015

Join Date: Aug 2013                                                
My Saabs: 2007 9-3 Aero

Old 7th October 2015

Join Date: Jan 2010                                                
My Saabs: 06 9-3 Aero 19T JZW5

I got my Spec twin disk from Pat too. It arrived last week. Still lining up the install (need shouldered bolts and alignment tool), but I have high hopes for this unit. I'll post pics when I get a chance. Planning to upgrade to stage 5 at the same time.

Better late than never; sometimes that's how development goes. Pat's been out of the country a lot, which I can attest makes communication tough.

Old 20th October 2015
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Apr 2011                                                
My Saabs: Seat Leon ST Cupra 300 4drive

Muhahahaha... Fitted next Monday - hope this time all goes well

Last edited by Jaco2k; 20th October 2015 at 06:45 PM.
Old 20th October 2015
Saab Crazy

Join Date: May 2010                                                
My Saabs: JZW Stage 5 9 v6 Aero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaco2k View Post
Muhahahaha... Fitted next Monday - hope this time all goes well

Is that the CG clutch or did you get another from ZF?
Old 20th October 2015
Saab Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin dai View Post
Is that the CG clutch or did you get another from ZF?
For some reason the pic was not posted and I don't have access to a PC to correct it now.
I needed the work done now, so I could not wait more on the CG option - I went with Sachs reinforced place and disk and a LUK DMF.
I want to make sure everything will fit nicely and this was pretty much the only option, while being better (hopefully...) than stock.
-------

Edit: fixed the link, but pic looks ever so slightly big...
Old 20th October 2015
Saab Crazy

Join Date: May 2010                                                
My Saabs: JZW Stage 5 9 v6 Aero

Fair one mate.

Mines still not fitted, booked in for Friday now so hopefully it'll be ready Saturday.

Bit cheesed off to be fair, the first flywheel didn't fit so had another machined but also needed new bolts,but they didn't get sent out on time as promised even after speaking to them saying it's getting sent the next day (twice that happened!!) so the garage had to basically cancel other jobs and book mine in twice to get it finished....and a third time again for this coming Friday. Which meant they had a ramp out of action for over a fortnight waiting on the flywheel to arrive which never did!! Subframe had to go back on and coming off again.

This better fit after all the messing.
Old 20th October 2015
Saab Crazy

That's the thing - they were doing the sensible thing, which was not to ship to me before getting confirmation yours was fitting well. That I did appreciate, but that also meant I would still be waiting now and, unfortunately, I simply could not wait any longer, so I had to go with a proven solution that could get on the immediate.
They were quite understanding and had no issues with refunding. I really wanted to make that deal work, but it simply took too long - I wanted the work done on the end of August and here we are pushing the end of October.
Old 22nd October 2015
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Mar 2010                                                
My Saabs: 09 9-3SC Aero XWD 6MT - Stage 5
Garage

I've got PaleCelery's twin disk sitting in my garage, I'll probably wait until spring to break the news to my wife that a clutch replacement is definitely necessary...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 Saab 9-3SC Aero XWD 6MT - JZW Stage 5
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 27th October 2015
Saab Crazy

So, the Sachs kit is in and... I couldn't be more happy.
Shop told me that slave cylinder had failed and was leaking - old clutch was soaked in oil.
Pretty sure that the slave cylinder had been replaced on the previous work. Why it failed? Dunno... Spec's design fault? Wrong installation?

Either way, I can only say I love this Sachs setup right now. It is much nicer to drive out of the box and I need to see what happens after the break-in period.

I need to drive it quite a bit and, with Winter soon hitting Finland and the change to snow tires, it will be 6 months or so before I know what this clutch really can do.

Hope all the other alternative solutions also prove to be great.
The Spec Stage 3+ definitely left me disappointed. Tempted to ship it back to Spec and see what they have to say about it.
Old 28th October 2015

Join Date: Mar 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2007 9-3 Aero 2.8T
Garage
Default Sachs Clutch

Thank you for sharing this first hand clutch installation result.
Old 19th November 2015

Join Date: Jul 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2004 9-5 Aero Stg 5

Any new information guys...?

Read this thing from start to finish and it's crazy clutches for these cars aren't more fully supported within a reasonable price range, way out here at the end of 2015.

So far, safest bet seems the uprated Sachs...without abusing it.

I'm about ready to pull the trigger on picking up a '07 9-3 Aero 2.8T manual FWD, and putting together a budget of what it will cost to make it right. With all of this clutch talk, it makes my head spin, and I know the '08 slushboxes are nearly bulletproof with the updated VB's, but then again, it's not a manual. Makes me wonder if there is actually a really nice clutch that will last and work well, even as a driver, and hold something between a 19T and mild HY35 build that won't break the bank.
Old 20th November 2015
Saab Lunatic

Garage

I'm likely waiting until spring to install the twin disk from SPEC with SMF. Can't provide any updates yet, however my spec 3+ is still chugging along, I'm pretty liesurely with it in any gear above 2nd before hitting around 4000 rpm though.

Old 20th November 2015

Thanks SaabMick... well, keep the feedback coming guys. Helps the newbies interested in the 2.8T get a feel for what hopefully works and what hasn't worked so well (spec 3+).

Also trying to understand those going from a DMF to a SMF, or staying DMF but doing something other than stock (super exp), trying to understand differences and trade offs. All I know is, I had to go billet on everything for my Dodge trans build, and that crap works!

So, for me, if there is a billet offering in the flywheel, that would def interest me, should it work better on these 2.8Ts.
Old 20th November 2015
Saab Lunatic

Garage

Apparently SPEC was going to go with a lightweight aluminum flywheel, however it was too light and the RPM drop actually resulted in stalling. The twin disk kit comes with a SMF steel flywheel, should be a little lighter than the DMF but unfortunately I won't be getting the B8 S4 quick blip I actually wanted .

Old 20th November 2015

Join Date: Feb 2012                                                
My Saabs: 06 9-3 SportCombi Aero

Has anyone tested the SPEC twin disk with a 19T+ turbo & injectors?
Old 20th November 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiroz View Post
Has anyone tested the SPEC twin disk with a 19T+ turbo & injectors?
I'd like to know the same.

Just reached out to SPEC about this twin disk today.

Here's what I was told by a guy named David there today, likely nothing new that what has already been said, but there is a price break for the "holidays".

Said the kit should hold 800ft/lbs. There is a carbon version that can do 1400ft/lbs too, $3299.

Price break right now is $1275 for the standard twin kit however.

Mentioned this setup has been around for a long time and is quite proven, they just adapted it to work on the 2.8T's.

Asked about the SMF. Said it's a 1050 high carbon billet steel single mass flywheel...

And yes, SaabMick, I know what you mean about the blipblip aspect...not sure it's gonna happen like that S4.

Saw that another member on here when reading through these clutch posts, about the uprated Sachs unit failed him more or less, but not sure if he was doing high load, low RPM pulls however, which it seems most of these kits just don't do well with.
Old 26th November 2015

Join Date: Feb 2015                                                
My Saabs: 2008 9-3 Aero Sportcombi
Garage

Can anyone with the twin disk clutch give a review?
Old 26th November 2015
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Apr 2012                                                
My Saabs: 2007 9.5 Combi Sport

I dont have one, I know better.
They are for racing. Are supplied with a sintered metallic clutch plate.
Driver mod required for most people. Very harsh engagement. For a race driver, a clutch once launched, is an on / off switch.
In drag racing the launch is generally a side step off the clutch pedal ( fwd cars are probably an exception )

In typical road racing or oval racing the only launch is out of the pits. The starts are generally rolling.

Contrast that with street driving and constant traffic and many launches over and over. Sintered metallic clutch plates won't last. Th can't handle slip. Even with a good driver the clutch plate will fail early compared to organic linings.

With a decent driver mod any clutch even the Sachs performance clutches that come OEM will last no matter how much power you have, because the good driver knows how to use the clutch not a abuse it.

At the end of the day some folks in this thread discovered the right clutch. It's about 500 usd delivered.

It's not a twin disc part
Old 26th November 2015
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Apr 2012                                                
My Saabs: 2007 9.5 Combi Sport

OH and over the years I ran twin disc clutches in my FB Brian hart Ford twin cam race cars. Lasted for ever

I had a customer with a z06 race car we built roasted a brand new carbon fibre twin disc in the paddock brand new. Never made the track.

Driver.
Mod.
Required .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement