Replacing door speakers - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-2X, 9-4X & 9-7X Workshop > Saab 9-2X, 9-4X & 9-7X Workshop

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10th October 2018

Join Date: Oct 2013                                                
My Saabs: 2011 93 Aero convertable
Default Replacing door speakers

Can someone tell me what size speakers go in door and more importantly how to get door panel off.
Thanks for the help folks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11th October 2018
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Oct 2014                                                
My Saabs: 1985 red 900T

not trying to be smart in any way, but go check out crutchfield. put the car's info in, and they should tell you what all's needed, including any adapters.
Old 11th October 2018
Super Moderator

Join Date: Aug 2012                                                
My Saabs: None
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sipes216 View Post
not trying to be smart in any way, but go check out crutchfield. put the car's info in, and they should tell you what all's needed, including any adapters.
I would file that under “no chance in hell”... Crutchfield doesn’t even have info on the NG 9-5, never mind the even rarer 9-4X...
Past Saabs: ‘11 9-5 Aero XWD 370 HP, (2) ‘11 9-5 T4P Java, ‘06 9-7X 5.3i, ‘72 Sonett

Old 11th October 2018
SaabNut!

Join Date: Dec 2016                                                
My Saabs: 05 93Lnr 09 93Aero XWD 11 94XAero

So, not sure if you're aware, but the 9-4X is essentially a 2011 Cadillac SRX. For shiggles I popped that in on Crutchfield, and the results are not sufficiently refined. They make recommendations, but some of them are not correct. I also don't think Crutchfield even makes recommendations for the '03-'11 9-3 which correct me if I'm wrong, is probably the most common model Saab ever produced.

As a 9-4X owner (Bose system), who's had the door panel off, I can confirm that the front door speakers are 6.5" round, 2ohm speakers.

Getting the door panel off is pretty easy. The trim piece around the LED on the handle pops out, be gentle it has a bunch of spring clips in the back, and it's probably 2' long if you count the whole curved shape (this is the scary part). That I think gives you access to a couple screws, and there may be one screw hidden in the latch handle under a cover as well.
Old 14th October 2018
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Oct 2014                                                
My Saabs: 1985 red 900T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshinator99 View Post
I would file that under “no chance in hell”... Crutchfield doesn’t even have info on the NG 9-5, never mind the even rarer 9-4X...
well that's a shame. i was hoping they would have the speaker info for the 9-4 listed with thte srx, but that was shot down above as well. hmm.

wish you luck!
Old 12th April 2019

Join Date: Mar 2019                                                
My Saabs: '00 9-3 Viggen, '11 9-4X Premium

SRX sound system is 100% the same as the 9-4X. IMHO, not much benefit to upgrading the speakers without a better head unit though. I've seen some videos of the RoadNav S100/S150/S160 in the 9-5 NG, which might be doable for us, but don't know how it was done. More importantly, don't know if it sounds any better
Old 12th April 2019
SaabNut!

Join Date: Dec 2016                                                
My Saabs: 05 93Lnr 09 93Aero XWD 11 94XAero

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeva View Post
IMHO, not much benefit to upgrading the speakers without a better head unit though. I've seen some videos of the RoadNav S100/S150/S160 in the 9-5 NG, which might be doable for us, but don't know how it was done. More importantly, don't know if it sounds any better
I think you're probably wrong here actually. Even though it says BOSE, most of the speakers in these cars seem to be paper cones. There is a lot of room for improvement on the speaker end, and I expect you could get a pretty nice improvement in sound quality.

I'm not disagreeing that a better HU would also help, but it's not the only variable in the equation here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement