car won't start, battery or something else? - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > 9-3 Sedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop - ALL Engines > 9-3 Sedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop - ALL Engines

9-3 Sedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop - ALL Engines 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X, 2003 - 2012 Technical & Repair

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 16th May 2010

Join Date: May 2010                                                
My Saabs: 93
Default car won't start, battery or something else?

So, about two days ago I went to start my 2006 Saab 93 Sportcombi wagon and all I heard were several clicks and no motor turnover.
I then jump started the vehicle after two tries. I let the car run for several minutes and then did not start the vehicle the remainder of that day.
The next morning I went out to start the vehicle and again the engine would not turnover. Again, same clicking noises. So, I immediately thought the battery must need replacing.
However, when I went to the auto parts store today they did a battery diagnostic test and it was producing plenty of power. The salesperson said it may be something electronic draining the power over night that is causing the engine to not start in the morning but that it was not the battery causing the issue.
I do not want to take the car to the dealership for repair unless I absolutely have to because of the higher cost. Any ideas or people that have had similar issues?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 16th May 2010

Join Date: Apr 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2003 Saab 9-3 Linear JZW Stage 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by graysaab93 View Post
So, about two days ago I went to start my 2006 Saab 93 Sportcombi wagon and all I heard were several clicks and no motor turnover.
I then jump started the vehicle after two tries. I let the car run for several minutes and then did not start the vehicle the remainder of that day.
The next morning I went out to start the vehicle and again the engine would not turnover. Again, same clicking noises. So, I immediately thought the battery must need replacing.
However, when I went to the auto parts store today they did a battery diagnostic test and it was producing plenty of power. The salesperson said it may be something electronic draining the power over night that is causing the engine to not start in the morning but that it was not the battery causing the issue.
I do not want to take the car to the dealership for repair unless I absolutely have to because of the higher cost. Any ideas or people that have had similar issues?
I have had the same exact issue and replaced the battery....Could be a damaged cell.
Old 16th May 2010

Join Date: Nov 2009                                                
My Saabs: 06 9-3 Aero

sounds like a battery to me. take it to a shop that will run a quick electrical diag for cheap like Sears or equivilant. usually they check the battery,alternator and starter for proper working conditions.

Old 16th May 2010

Join Date: Oct 2006                                                
My Saabs: 09 93 Convertible 2.0t

I assume you are not leaving the key in the ignition overnight? This will drain the battery.
Old 16th May 2010

Join Date: Mar 2008                                                

Quote:
Originally Posted by graysaab93 View Post
How old is your battery? I just went through the same thing the other day:

https://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=184208

I'd say just get a new battery.
Old 17th May 2010
Saabista

Join Date: Mar 2004                                                
My Saabs: 03 SE 5 Spd

The basic dread battery is the first thing that comes to mind, throw a meter on it for starters...
Old 17th May 2010
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Feb 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2007 60th Anniversary 9

I just went through this, too, electric went haywire and wouldn't start. It was weird - perfectly fine to dead overnight. Wouldn't jump after several tries, even to a running engine - finally when I had given up, the tow guy had a 1500 amp jump box and that did the trick. Went out to get a battery - for curiosity turned off and tried restart in the parking lot, dead again. For me it was definitely the battery, no problems since. Basically the battery was good enough to hold a charge, but not enough to engage the starter. It was confusing, I expected no power at all for it to be the battery.
Old 17th May 2010

My Saabs: 2007 93 sportwagon 1.9tid
Default Battery

Even the basic garage should be able to do a discharge test,and its quite simple to see if the battery is discharging current when switched off with the cheapest of AVO meters.
Old 18th May 2010

My Saabs: 93
Default it was the battery

As pretty much everyone said when they replied to my original question, it was the battery. I am happy that it was not something more complicated.
It is about time for me to have the 60k mile maintenance done.

My plan is to have the shop do the brake fluid flush.

I plan to do the oil change, oil filter change, air filter change, cabin filter change and new spark plugs to save some money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement