Unusual way to kill a battery but why wouldn't it jump start? - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-2X, 9-4X & 9-7X Workshop > Saab 9-2X, 9-4X & 9-7X Workshop

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 14th April 2019

Join Date: Jan 2013                                                
My Saabs: '95 9000 Aero, '98 CSE, '05 9-5, '11 9-4
Default Unusual way to kill a battery but why wouldn't it jump start?

Since we bought our Chevrolet Bolt electric, the 9-4X just sits in the garage. We had a spell of single digit temperature cold weather and afterward, the 9-4X wouldn't start; obviously a dead battery. I put the charger on it to no effect. Upon removal, it was obvious what had happened. The back end of the battery case was bulged out. Evidently being discharged changes the chemistry enough so the electrolyte froze and broke the case and most likely the battery internals as well.

I know well a seldom-used battery should be on a trickle charger/battery maintainer, but I just got lazy and didn't do it.

I tried jump starting and even with the bad battery removed, the starter wasn't being engaged. What about this requires special handling for a dead battery?

jack vines
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 14th April 2019
Super Moderator

Join Date: Aug 2012                                                
My Saabs: None
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by packardv8 View Post
Since we bought our Chevrolet Bolt electric, the 9-4X just sits in the garage. We had a spell of single digit temperature cold weather and afterward, the 9-4X wouldn't start; obviously a dead battery. I put the charger on it to no effect. Upon removal, it was obvious what had happened. The back end of the battery case was bulged out. Evidently being discharged changes the chemistry enough so the electrolyte froze and broke the case and most likely the battery internals as well.

I know well a seldom-used battery should be on a trickle charger/battery maintainer, but I just got lazy and didn't do it.

I tried jump starting and even with the bad battery removed, the starter wasn't being engaged. What about this requires special handling for a dead battery?

jack vines
Did you actually change the blown out battery for a new one? Reading your post, it’s not clear...
Past Saabs: ‘11 9-5 Aero XWD 370 HP, (2) ‘11 9-5 T4P Java, ‘06 9-7X 5.3i, ‘72 Sonett
Old 16th April 2019

The first attempt to jump start was with the battery in place and prior to discovering the battery was toast. Most cars will jump start across a dead battery.

The second attempt was after the battery was removed. The jumper cables were attached directly to the 9-4X battery cables from a running 9-5. Again, most cars will jump start from another running vehicle. There's more than 12-volts across the posts, so why not?

I bought a new battery, charged it overnight and saw 14.5 volts across the posts. The 9-4X started immediately.

jack vines

Old 16th April 2019
Super Moderator

Join Date: Aug 2012                                                
My Saabs: None
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by packardv8 View Post
The first attempt to jump start was with the battery in place and prior to discovering the battery was toast. Most cars will jump start across a dead battery.

The second attempt was after the battery was removed. The jumper cables were attached directly to the 9-4X battery cables from a running 9-5. Again, most cars will jump start from another running vehicle. There's more than 12-volts across the posts, so why not?

I bought a new battery, charged it overnight and saw 14.5 volts across the posts. The 9-4X started immediately.

jack vines
I’ve never tried to jump start a car with a blown out or missing battery before, but glad to hear a fresh battery solved the issue.
Past Saabs: ‘11 9-5 Aero XWD 370 HP, (2) ‘11 9-5 T4P Java, ‘06 9-7X 5.3i, ‘72 Sonett
Old 17th April 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshinator99 View Post
I’ve never tried to jump start a car with a blown out or missing battery before, but glad to hear a fresh battery solved the issue.
A friend with a Saab 9000 had his battery stolen. We jump-started his car and he drove it without a battery several miles to an AutoZone for a free battery install. They then dinged him for not having a core battery exchange.

jack vines
Sponsored Links
Advertisement