Needing to replace fuel pump, any recommendations? - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Cabrio ('04+), Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > 9-3 Sedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Tuning/Modifications - 2.8T V6 ONLY

Notices

9-3 Sedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Tuning/Modifications - 2.8T V6 ONLY Covers Tuning & all Performance modifications specific to 2.8T V6 ONLY

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 4 Weeks Ago

Join Date: Jul 2011                                                
My Saabs: 06 9-3 Aero convertible manual
Garage
Default Needing to replace fuel pump, any recommendations?

As the title says. We’re currently getting the P0089 code for low fuel pressure. I already swapped the fuel pressure sensor with a known good as it was free and easy. However, I’m getting the same issues. It drives fine for a little bit, then sets the check engine light. A little while later the car starts acting like it has a bad misfire under any heavy load or when I get into boost. I’m looking to buy a new pump for the car, but at least on Rock Auto, the only one available is the Spectra Performance for $235. Will I have any issues with that one, or am I good to go buying and installing it?

Last edited by majeskyb; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:21 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4 Weeks Ago

Join Date: Jul 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2004 9-5 Aero Stg 5

Needs to support the returnless system, that's the critical part.

The one I picked up and was recommended on the boards is:

AEM 50-1000

It's a 340LPH, more than enough to fuel your aspiring performance needs or fuel a stock one with zero issue.

Way cheaper and better than a stock replacement or any basic stock aftermarket like one.

I picked mine up at Jegs with like a 10 buck coupon and free shipping, I think I landed it less than 80 bucks a few months back.

Still need to slap it in one of these days, as my pump is still adequate, but likely only has a year or so left of sustaining my basic Stage0 tune.

Enjoy.

Note: Also make sure your fuel lines aren't plugged. A known issue on these cars as you may know. I run top tier fuel and additives at times to keep her clean and primed.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryboj View Post
Needs to support the returnless system, that's the critical part.

The one I picked up and was recommended on the boards is:

AEM 50-1000

It's a 340LPH, more than enough to fuel your aspiring performance needs or fuel a stock one with zero issue.

Way cheaper and better than a stock replacement or any basic stock aftermarket like one.

I picked mine up at Jegs with like a 10 buck coupon and free shipping, I think I landed it less than 80 bucks a few months back.

Still need to slap it in one of these days, as my pump is still adequate, but likely only has a year or so left of sustaining my basic Stage0 tune.

Enjoy.

Note: Also make sure your fuel lines aren't plugged. A known issue on these cars as you may know. I run top tier fuel and additives at times to keep her clean and primed.
Thanks for the info. Iím guessing I need to pull the old pump out of its basket and install the aem one it? Iím going to try and find some of the ac Delhi top engine cleaner, but itís currently out of stock on amazon. I might try some of the big 44k that Iíve seen some people recommend in the mean time.

Old 3 Weeks Ago

Join Date: Jul 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2004 9-5 Aero Stg 5

https://www.saabcentral.com/forums/s...d.php?t=605490

Post 9 is the one I drew info from, so hopefully this will work out when I replace mine too.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Join Date: May 2018                                                
My Saabs: 2008 Saab 9-3 Aero
Garage

I have the same code and contacted Brian Blair at Vermont Tuning for advice as I wanted a pump capable of supporting all of his tunes and the potential for E85. This is what he recommended:
"You can use either an Aeromotive 11142-340 or a Walbro F90000267 and 400-1168 install kit. Both require some modification of the fuel basket assembly, but the Aeromotive is easier to install and requires less modification."

Given this advice, I purchased the Aeromotive pump, but he personally runs 12s on the Walbro.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Nov 2009                                                
My Saabs: '06 9-3 2.8 & '09 9-3 XWD 2.8 Combi

I will be purchasing an Aeromotive 11142 in the near future. Seems like its the best fit and its E85 capable
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Nov 2009                                                
My Saabs: '06 9-3 2.8 & '09 9-3 XWD 2.8 Combi

Correction 11542 is the part number. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B012HRFKTE...v_ov_lig_dp_it
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Join Date: May 2018                                                
My Saabs: 2008 Saab 9-3 Aero
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgroth View Post
Correction 11542 is the part number. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B012HRFKTE...v_ov_lig_dp_it
I was about to make this correction myself, 11142 has been discontinued and superseded by 11542.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
SaabNut!

Join Date: Aug 2015                                                
My Saabs: 2007 9-3 Aero VTuner Stage 2
Default Needing to replace fuel pump, any recommendations?

I installed the Spectra Premium SP5006M Fuel Pump last summer on my FWD 2.8 and it performs great. Iím on VTuner Stage 2 with other supporting mods. It cured the code and I could feel much stronger and smoother acceleration. Data logging shows it it delivers fuel as needed for some very spirited driving!

You will want to get one of these tools as well. The locking ring was so tight on mine that even with this and a breaker bar it was a challenge.

OTC 6599 Universal Fuel Pump Lock Tool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by The Laminator; 3 Weeks Ago at 11:42 PM.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Laminator View Post
I installed the Spectra Premium SP5006M Fuel Pump last summer on my FWD 2.8 and it performs great. Iím on VTuner Stage 2 with other supporting mods. It cured the code and I could feel much stronger and smoother acceleration. Data logging shows it it delivers fuel as needed for some very spirited driving!

You will want to get one of these tools as well. The locking ring was so tight on mine that even with this and a breaker bar it was a challenge.

OTC 6599 Universal Fuel Pump Lock Tool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Awesome, thank you for the info! You even answered the other question I needed to look into about the fuel pump lock wrench. What I'll probably end up doing is replacing the entire assembly, but rebuild the old one with a recommended pump listed above in case I ever need to replace the new one.
Old 1 Week Ago
Saab Crazy

Join Date: May 2013                                                
My Saabs: 04 & 08 9-3 Aero

Did this job on a 2.0T with that tool. Ordered a Pro Parts Sweden fuel pump and it was total garbage and stalled (DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM THEM) I'm not the only one with horror stories. had to redo it with a T1 Auto pump and everything works fine.

Just got a 2.8 with P0089 and it looks like the pump is a common culprit, I was worried about facing the same thing with this pump on a car I plan to tune but you say it checks out so I may just end up getting it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement