1997 Saab SE Turbo Fuel Pump Ground - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab NG900, 1994-1998 and OG9-3, 1999-2002 & '03 Convertible (NG=new gen/OG=old gen) > NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop

Notices

NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop NG900 (1994 to 1998) & OG9-3 (1999-2002) & '03 Convertible Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 1st May 2019
Saabista

Join Date: Jun 2007                                                
My Saabs: Black on black '97 Saab 3-door SE Turbo
Default 1997 Saab SE Turbo Fuel Pump Ground

Can anyone point me to where in the trunk the fuel pump ground is? I seem to have a problem when shifting the 5-speed manual into reverse - the engine starts missing and wants to stall. It doesn't do this in 1st through 5th, so I think that the reverse lights are taking power away from the fuel pump. Today, I also found out that while driving normally and switching on the rear window defroster, the same thing happens. So, I think there may be a loose ground in the rear of the car. Maybe the G404 below left rear light cluster.

Also, can anyone tell me exactly where it is? Is it under the trunk liner, inside the tail light housing, etc? I assume that it's some kind of stud that sticks up.

As a last resort, I can run a jumper from the fuel pump to a good ground for testing purposes.

Well, I found a workaround. I pulled the reverse light connector off the transmission and removed the 30A fuse for the rear window heater. So, I shouldn't have to worry about using reverse or having the rear window defroster coming on if I use the windshield defroster. But, I would still like to find, clean and lubricate that G404 ground point.

TIA Ron

Last edited by '97 Saab SE Turbo; 1st May 2019 at 08:05 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1st May 2019
Saabista

Join Date: Sep 2010                                                
My Saabs: None at the moment

The ground point is on the floor of the trunk, on the drivers side rear corner (kind of where the CD changer would be mounted). Its behind/under the carpet so you would need to pull it back.

Definitely seems like classic bad ground problems. I like to relocate it up on the side of the trunk (like where the antenna mounts/ground to).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 1st May 2019
Saabista

Jake, thanks for the information.... Ron

Old 2nd May 2019
Saabista

Jake, does this mean that I have to remove the CD player to get at the ground point? I currently have some WD-40 soaking into the 4 CD player mounting screws... Ron
Old 2nd May 2019
Saabista

OK, I finally found it. It was a "loose" ground cable with a washer & nut (maybe 10mm) at the furthest point back in the corner of the floor on the drivers' side of the hatch. I assume that it was bolted through the floor at some point before the floor rusted away from below. Anyway, I took a clip lead and grounded the cable to a clean ground and everything (all lights and fuel pump) seem to be much better. I'm going to connect that cable to a good ground point with a lug, sheet metal screw and washer.. Ron
Old 2nd May 2019
Saabista

Join Date: Sep 2010                                                
My Saabs: None at the moment

Glad you found it, While the CD changer doesn't obscure the ground point directly, it will stop you from moving the carpet to gain easy access.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement