Suspension replacement/upgrade - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-5 Mk.I, 1998-2009 > 9-5 Workshop

9-5 Workshop 9-5 Workshop (1997 to 2010) Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 3 Weeks Ago

Join Date: Jun 2015                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-5
Default Suspension replacement/upgrade

My 2006 9-5 is in need of some suspension work. The ride is very stiff and rough. Stiff is ok, but it's rough and noisy. I'm in the process of replacing the brakes, front bearings, just got new tires, so I figure I may as well do something about the ride.

Would you guys recommend replacing shocks and struts with OEM Saab parts, or aftermarket. Alternately, I see there are coilover kits on Ebay, but are probably cheapo Made In China junk?

Also, what bushings should I be replacing? Urethane or?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jun 2013                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-5 SportCombi 2.3T
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeegler View Post
My 2006 9-5 is in need of some suspension work. The ride is very stiff and rough. Stiff is ok, but it's rough and noisy. I'm in the process of replacing the brakes, front bearings, just got new tires, so I figure I may as well do something about the ride.

Would you guys recommend replacing shocks and struts with OEM Saab parts, or aftermarket. Alternately, I see there are coilover kits on Ebay, but are probably cheapo Made In China junk?

Also, what bushings should I be replacing? Urethane or?
So I really like the feel of the OEM struts. Some people on here will tell you to go with Bilsteins or Konis or KYB, but (my opinion) Saab really nailed the balance of comfort and performance with the OEM Sachs struts. I can't speak to the Ebay kits as I'm not familiar with them. One vote from me for OEM, but your needs may differ.

The subframe bushings are probably shot. Go with OEM if you want a cushier ride. I went with polyurethane ones for ease of installation, but they ride/drive harsher than the OEM rubber ones. The poly's transmit more of the engine "feel" to the car. They really tightened up the feel and handling of the car overall though, so I am ok with it. Doing the rubber OEM bushings is a huge job to DIY or a lot of $$$ to pay someone to do it.

With the poly subframe bushings, there's a way to do it with the subframe still in the car, saving a ton of time. I got my mechanic to do it for 2.5 hours labor this way, vs. probably 10 hours of labor the official way with OEM. Here's my official thread on it: https://www.saabcentral.com/forums/s...d.php?t=720914

Last edited by andybisnut; 3 Weeks Ago at 05:06 PM.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Oct 2002                                                
My Saabs: '97 900SE Talladega, 2000 9-5 Aero Wagon

I'll second sticking with Sachs and OEM parts. I've completely redone the suspension on both of my 9-5 Aeros over the past 6 months or so with mostly OEM parts, and the ride quality on both is great now. They're quiet, and bumps are very nicely damped, but the cars are still slightly on the firm side and handle well. I have no complaints, and the parts aren't horrendously expensive. I did slightly cheap out on one and used Monroe OE Spectrum struts on the front of one instead of Sachs.

Old 3 Weeks Ago
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Oct 2009                                                
My Saabs: 2*9-5 Hirsch & 9-3 Aero cab

If polyurethane is really better than vulcanized rubber in steel/aluminium, ALL manufacturers uses polyurethane.
Polyurethane is extreme cheap (comes from nozzle) and single machine make it. Vulcanized rubber in steel/aluminium requires multiple work portions and is expensive, but ride comfort is superb.

You said that you have even now noisy and rough ride. Any poly bushing increases noise dramatically. I know, I have learned my lesson.

So only original/OEM bushings etc.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
SaabNut!

Join Date: Dec 2017                                                
My Saabs: 2003 95 Aero, 2001 95 Aero, 2000 Aero 5d

Poly is better in the large bushing in the front end of the rear trailing arm. It is also a 3 piece bushing so it goes in much easier. The added stiffness is a real plus and it is not noisy. The OEM rubber gets soft and unstable.

The rose bushes are all rubber. Poly would not work in these bushings....and not one makes them. Get the OEM rose bushes.

Be sure to set you ride height properly before have the car aligned. Set is with spring spacers.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Okay it sounds like OEM is the way too go. I believe my 9-5 has the upgraded suspension from factory, as it also has the larger brakes. I understand that it was the equivalent of an Aero for the 2006 model year.

Thanks for your input guys.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
SaabNut!

Quote:
Okay it sounds like OEM is the way too go. I believe my 9-5 has the upgraded suspension from factory, as it also has the larger brakes. I understand that it was the equivalent of an Aero for the 2006 model year.

Thanks for your input guys.
I disagree. OEM is built for a price and they are, in my opinion inferior to good aftermarket shocks.

The prices for OEM and Bilsteins on EEuro are close to the same.

Why go through all that work and put on second rate shocks.

By the way I have owned 6 9-5s and replace rear OEM on 5 of them. They were shot in less than 60K miles.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Apr 2012                                                
My Saabs: 2007 9.5 Combi Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimmi View Post
If polyurethane is really better than vulcanized rubber in steel/aluminium, ALL manufacturers uses polyurethane.
Polyurethane is extreme cheap (comes from nozzle) and single machine make it. Vulcanized rubber in steel/aluminium requires multiple work portions and is expensive, but ride comfort is superb.

You said that you have even now noisy and rough ride. Any poly bushing increases noise dramatically. I know, I have learned my lesson.

So only original/OEM bushings etc.
this x 38950 million
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jul 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2000 9-5 AERO 5spd man MPS STG2

Quote:
Originally Posted by redaero-wagon-2000 View Post
They were shot in less than 60K miles.
How can that be possible where you live?

Our cars here go through a 1000 mile life cycle in a day compared to where you drive in six months.

How long did it take to log those 60,000 miles and what kind of roads are you on?

I'm curious because I am just about to pull the trigger on a complete four corner Sach's setup for my new acquisition.

Thanks.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Oct 2002                                                
My Saabs: '97 900SE Talladega, 2000 9-5 Aero Wagon

The original Sachs rear shocks were still decent on my 150,000 mile 2001 Aero and on my 200,000 mile 2000 Aero. I'm not saying they weren't due for replacement, and they did get replaced at that mileage, but they still functioned.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Join Date: Oct 2009                                                
My Saabs: 96 Aero standard 260k 2006 9-5 Aero

I have an 06 Aero with 126k miles and it started clunking about 6 months ago.
I do have access to a lift and pretty handy, brake jobs ect.
Does anyone make the poly bushings in 2 pieces? It would seem that make installation much easier.

Tom
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Hmmm. Now I'm not sure what to do. I don't mind spending more if I'm going to get more life out of them. A smooth cushy ride is not important to me. I'm looking for mostly decent handling and longevity.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Oct 2011                                                
My Saabs: 1997 900S Coupé, 2003 9-5 Linear Wagon

Quote:
Hmmm. Now I'm not sure what to do. I don't mind spending more if I'm going to get more life out of them. A smooth cushy ride is not important to me. I'm looking for mostly decent handling and longevity.

I would assume that a set of OEM quality shocks would last a minimum of 100,000 km, if not 150,000 km.

I have Bilstein B6 shocks on my non-sport suspension, and while they have great body control and hopefully will last forever, they are pretty stiff. If your roads don't have cracks and small bumps, you may be happy with the B6. In retrospect, I should have gone with B4 or OEM.

The old Koni red shocks were great for longevity. The yellow ones seem to be hit or miss. The Konis on my 900 give a better ride than the B6 on my 9-5, and have lasted with no issues for over 150,000 km, but the exposed rear shocks look like something pulled from the wreck of the Titanic, not parts installed in 2012. Again, that might not be a concern where you live.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
SaabNut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob3000 View Post
How can that be possible where you live?

Our cars here go through a 1000 mile life cycle in a day compared to where you drive in six months.

How long did it take to log those 60,000 miles and what kind of roads are you on?

I'm curious because I am just about to pull the trigger on a complete four corner Sach's setup for my new acquisition.

Thanks.
Tell me about our roads. I lived in Canada for many years so I have an idea of what you drive on.

We have lots of mountain roads where I live. The first dozen miles of every trip are mountain roads, two lane and quite rough.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jul 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2000 9-5 AERO 5spd man MPS STG2

Quote:
Originally Posted by redaero-wagon-2000 View Post
Tell me about our roads. I lived in Canada for many years so I have an idea of what you drive on.

We have lots of mountain roads where I live. The first dozen miles of every trip are mountain roads, two lane and quite rough.
Our roads are pretty much third world condition if they are more then a couple of years old, one stretch that I drive daily has pot holes that are at least ten inches deep and a foot and a half to two feet long and six to eight inches wide. There were at least three cars a day parked on the side of the road after that stretch with various levels of significant damage from tires popped off the rim to wheels outright broken.

The city will fix the road after a week of this kind of carnage but there are over 6000 kilometers of roads in our city a lot of which is a minefield of alignment, wheel and tire eating moonscape.

It's very common to have cars stradling the shoulder and the center of a lane to allow oncoming traffic to cross the centerline to avoid hazards on their side of the road.

My brother jokes that our odometers should spin twice as fast during pothole season to account for the wear and tear.

This particular winter has been brutally hard on infrastructure with numerous freeze thaw cycles that see water egress under the cracked layers of asphalt when temperatures are above freezing and then the next day it is minus 30 degrees and the water is freezing forcing the asphalt up breaking any bonding between multiple layers.

That's why I'm surprised to hear shocks can be expired at 60,000 miles given our weather extremes and your relatively stable environment.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Mar 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-5 Sedan, 2006 Sportcombi

The struts on my wife's old 06' sedan lasted until 80k. The ones on my 06' wagon got changed out at 140k. The rear shocks on my wagon lasted until around 90k. And the rear shocks on my wife's car got changed out at 120k. No rhyme or reason on how long they lasted.

I put Monroe's on my wife's car and they were great for 2 years up until we sold it. I have Bilstiens on my wagon. I only use oem bushings for the subframe since they tend to last longer and don't ride like ****.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement