I need tips for og93 interior - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab Ownership General Topics > Auto Detailing & Body Repairs

Auto Detailing & Body Repairs Discussions about auto interior & exterior detailing, products and autobody repairs.

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 15th March 2019

Join Date: Sep 2017                                                
Default I need tips for og93 interior

Seeing as how the book is unclear, I could use a few tips and tricks that will help.
Specifically,
How do you get the triangular trim peices on the rear doors off without breaking them?
I tried gently prying one from the back with a nylon trim tool forking the lower pin and the piece just broke in half. And this is on the "good" interior, mine is way more brittle.
I was going to do a full interior swap but if just about every peice of plastic breaks it will be worse than what I have.
Are there specific pry points?
Are there hidden tabs I should be aware of?
Hidden screws?
Slot style like the kickers, hiding out?

Are junkyard parts my only option if I break plastic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 15th March 2019
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Oct 2009                                                
My Saabs: 2*9-5 Hirsch & 9-3 Aero cab

You have to remove door card first.
Old 15th March 2019

Well, now I feel really dumb.
I thought it was like the front door and I was trying to remove that bit so that I could get the card off.

Any tips for removing the headliner?

Old 16th March 2019
Saab Lunatic

My Saabs: 2*9-5 Hirsch & 9-3 Aero cab

Remove sun visors, rear view mirror surrounding (and mirror), weather strips from door openings, A-pillar, B-pillar and C-pillar trims, handles fastening clips (turn 90 degrees and they will open), reading lamps and lift out from tailgate opening.
Old 16th March 2019
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Oct 2011                                                
My Saabs: 1997 900S Coupé, 2003 9-5 Linear Wagon

WIS lays out the procedure for headliner removal.

Removal and especially installation works much better with two people.
Old 21st March 2019

Things haynes didnt mention, that would have been nice to know...

There are metal pinch clips on the foreword mounts on the mirror surround (pn 4707733). You have to get between them and the body to have any chance of removing it intact. I have failed twice, and I knew what to expect the second time. Good thing they can be had new for the low cost of $40.

The grab handles need to be pried off. There are feather pins on the handles that pass through the headliner and into a honeycomb spacer of sorts. I destroyed 2 spacers trying to wiggle them off before I figured this out. The layers just separated.

My frustration comes from vague instructions like "remove x part" and "gently pry off" with no indications as the what location/direction to pry or mention of other fasteners that are not obvious.
That is why I asked here, where people know the specifics.

Also, wis is not an option for me as I have no computer available.

Of course... Plastics that have been sun baked will probably crumble when messed with, and I knew that going in.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Saabista

My Saabs: '03 9³ 'vert; '01 9³ 5d & parts car;

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterabbitt View Post
Things haynes didnt mention, that would have been nice to know...

... My frustration comes from vague instructions like "remove x part" and "gently pry off" with no indications as the what location/direction to pry or mention of other fasteners that are not obvious...

Haynes is famous for this. They'll give you all kinds of detailed instructions and a half dozen photos telling you how to remove some part that is incredibly obvious in attachment... then drop you cold with a (example) "next remove the center console" and no instructions at all.

Find an old laptop... any reasonable old computer will run the WIS for you. It's not perfect as they make some assumptions too, but it's another tool in your arsenal. Asking here is, of course, always a great idea. There are lots of tricks when working on these cars that help you prevent breakage. When in doubt, I go to the u-pull and learn there first.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Oct 2011                                                
My Saabs: 1997 900S Coupé, 2003 9-5 Linear Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSaabit View Post

Find an old laptop... any reasonable old computer will run the WIS for you. It's not perfect as they make some assumptions too, but it's another tool in your arsenal. Asking here is, of course, always a great idea. There are lots of tricks when working on these cars that help you prevent breakage. When in doubt, I go to the u-pull and learn there first.
+1 on the old laptop.

+100 on the "go to the you pull yard". Sometimes it's only obvious how to remove a part after you have broken it during removal.

Sometimes I keep broken trip pieces, not because I will reuse them, but because I can look as say "hmm, here's where the tabs are (or were)".
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Feb 2004                                                
My Saabs: LOTS. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdT View Post
+100 on the "go to the you pull yard". Sometimes it's only obvious how to remove a part after you have broken it during removal.
WORD.

I find the c-pillar trim to be a major roadblock. Here is what it looks like from the back:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AqwvoBt9ZBp2gpBe52uxBufR4K2xZQ
Old 3 Weeks Ago

My pick n pull is sitting in my driveway 😆

I have been removing the worst part between the 2 cars first, just in case it breaks. So far the only critical fails have been the mirror surrounds and the plastic triangles on the rear driver side door. Those items just broke outright.
As long as one of two is useable, I consider it a success with 20 yr old plastic in Texas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement