CARB Legal T5'd '85 SeudoPG - Page 5 - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab C900, 1979-1993 & '94 Convertible (C=classic) > C900 Performance, Mods & Tuning

C900 Performance, Mods & Tuning Covers Tuning & Performance modifications for the Classic 900 (C900)

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 2nd March 2019
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Feb 2004                                                
My Saabs: LOTS. :)

Had a mild break in the weather so I yanked the exhaust manifold off. I was pleased with how quick the work went - all the hardware came right off.

I grabbed these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

for same-day delivery and removed the EGR diverter from the exhaust manifold. Despite being pretty cheap, those burrs ripped through the manifold quick-fast. I am very happy with their performance!

Tomorrow I will send it off to Performance Coatings in Washington to be ceramic coated in & out. Hopefully next weekend the head will come off so it can be double-checked by a machine shop.

Installation is reverse of removal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 9th March 2019
Saab Lunatic

Looks like more rain for us, so I'm cramming in work where I can.

Intake manifold is off, clutch is out. Basically all that is left is to remove the head itself, which at this point can't be 30 minutes of work.

No, wait, that's a lie. I also need to remove the rear engine cover, as resealing that and replacing the RMS is on the to do list. Meh, not a big deal.

Something I am going to tackle while it's apart like this is fully eliminating the coolant circuit that normally runs through the PCV tube and throttle body. That feature doesn't exist on my car... because I removed the "duplex" PCV hose, and brass fittings on the throttle body. Then filled in the holes with JB Weld. AIN'T NO TURNING BACK! And, the "stick a bolt in the hose" just isn't doing it for me anymore.

That means finding a replacement for the rubber hose that goes between the heater core and the water pump housing, and modifying that metal pipe that runs under the intake manifold. Of course, that rubber hose is 22mm on one side and 24mm on the other, so a universal elbow hose is an unlikely solution. Time to get weird.

Edit:

Lightning strike, but the answer to the heater hose may be a hose from an 8v 900, #9324609. Can't be a coincidence I have such a hose in The Drawer of c900 Molded Hoses.

Last edited by jvanabra; 9th March 2019 at 02:51 PM.
Old 12th March 2019
Saab Lunatic

(I'm still not paying for an HTTPS image host, so you can either use IE to view this thread and see pictures inline, or I added direct links you can click on)

Spent some time over the weekend "finishing" the dismantling. Head came off easily, and I was surprised at how clean the pistons were. The odometer on the car was 240k when I got it, and I really didn't have a reason to doubt it... it's got about 254k now... about because I ran without an odometer for several years and had to approximate.

http://www.sacsaabs.org/sacsaabs.org...pg_headoff.jpg

So, "finishing" is in quotes up there because I found out I was not done. The lower timing chain guide is damaged and needs to be replaced.

http://www.sacsaabs.org/sacsaabs.org...chainguide.jpg

That means pulling the power steering pump, alternator, oil pump, and front cover... A lot of No Fun.

While I considered options on the chain guide, I modified the coolant pipe that runs under the manifold to fully complete my vision of 1) no throttle body heater, and 2) no PCV heater:

http://www.sacsaabs.org/sacsaabs.org...oolantpipe.jpg

Happily, the little tube is perfectly sized to run an M10 tap through! I put 20mm worth of M10x1.25 (fine) threads in and then screwed a bolt in... I used a JIS style bolt with a little 14mm head to keep it as clean looking as I could. Threads are coated with Permatex thread sealant, so it shouldn't leak and shouldn't rust in my lifetime.

Yesterday I dropped the head off at my favorite machine shop (been a customer since 1998!), and last night I took the rear cover off, and during the cleaning process found this:

http://www.sacsaabs.org/sacsaabs.org..._transbite.jpg

I *swear* out of 50+ c900s I have never, ever seen a car with so much random, incidental damage. It's like this car never knew the loving caress of a Snapon chrome-plated wrench and was only worked on by some neanderthal with a pipe wrench. How do you even break a chunk like that off a transmission???

Whatever. I finished the night by getting the crank pulley off, which was less work than I thought it was gonna be. Things are a lot more accessible without a cylinder head in the way!

Today I got a call from the machine shop. The head is straight, but the exhaust valves are leaking badly. They're tearing it down and will rebuild it... I contemplated abandoning it and using a rebuilt one I have in the garage, but these days one can't be so cavalier with c900 parts. :|

This "quick head gasket" is already spiralling out of control, so with nothing but a transmission and a bare block in the engine bay, I'm looking seriously at picking up a new power steering rack and pump. I've been driving without power assist for ten years! TBH, I have no complaints, the car is VERY drivable, but it's a bit of a handful to park. I was hoping to do an EHPS system, but the equation is $50 pump and all good, or $250 EHPS pump+$150 115a alternator+fabrication, and after everything else I gotta do my "c900 project portfolio" is gonna be full for 2019.

Tonight I will hopefully find a reputable source for a rebuilt c900 rack, and figure out where to order:

30543193 - oil pump oring
9321795 - cover gasket
30543193 - fms
21343505 - lower timing chain guide
8858276 - upper timing chain guide
8048670 - timing chain tensioner seal

plus a new water pump (I mean, at this point it'd be the only not-new accessory).

Old 12th March 2019
Saab Lunatic

Some steering rack research:

Cardone send-in $129 + core
AC Delco $129 + core
Eeuro Atlantic $200 (backordered)
Autohaus Maval $320 + core
eBay Maval $250
Parts Geek Maval $200 + core

Core prices vary but hang out around $50.

I have never not bought a Maval rack, but it's been 15 years since I last did. Still, I will probably go that way. I don't want to deal with sending a core, so I am leaning towards eBay or Parts Geek as they end up being about the same money, and probably the same amount of unreputable seller risk. Hmm.
Old 13th March 2019
Saab Lunatic

After doing some research on Parts Geek, I chose to stay away. Too many "sent wrong part, wouldn't take return" horror stories for me. It's weird because Parts Geek shows up in *any* google search for auto parts of any type. I have never ordered from them because I've never had a reason, but the price on the Maval rack was good enough I almost did. Almost.

But, I went the ebay route instead. I would have preferred to support AutoHaus but +30% was too much for me on this order.

Even though this extra, unplanned work is a bit frustrating, I'm starting to get excited about having power steering again.
Old 13th March 2019
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jun 2012                                                
My Saabs: 2004 9, 1984 900 T8

I feel you, scope creep is real and hard to contain. Years ago I tore down the 1.9L turbodiesel in my MK3 Jetta to address oil circulation issues and ended up upgrading damn near every component in the process. Was aiming for around 150 whp, double what it started with. That engine is now sitting on a pallet at my dad's farm waiting for a body.

My internal justification is simply "I'm this deep into it, why not replace/upgrade ________ while I'm in here?". I say go nuts!!
Old 13th March 2019
Saab Lunatic

Haha... that's about where I end up.

Unfortunately every additional task I do on this car means something else, somewhere else, isn't getting done. I should be putting a clutch on my Fiero, and instead I am doing this. :|

"Good news" is that I can't find any good source for *any* MR2 EHPS pump right now, and am hesitant to try and employ a TRW pump since they don't work too great in limp home mode. So, regular ol' belt driven pump it is for now. Makes things a bit easier.
Old 13th March 2019
Saab Lunatic

Got the rear of the motor cleaned up today so started putting that end back together.

I picked up The Tool from Pelican Parts maybe 10 years ago when it was randomly half off. I didn't touch it until about 2 years ago, and I've used it probably five times since. It's wonderful!

http://www.sacsaabs.org/sacsaabs.org...pg_rmstool.jpg

It installs them rear seals like real good!

http://www.sacsaabs.org/sacsaabs.org...5spg_rmsin.jpg

Tomorrow I'll finish getting the clutch in, then I'm waiting for parts I guess!

(Really hope I did a good job sealing the plate... I blew that once before and it was a real PITA fixing my error!)
Old 14th March 2019
Saab Lunatic

I turned to rockauto for my next order. Oddly, finding a power steering pump from normal Saab vendors turned out to be problematic. Weird. Also, rockauto's prices on the power steering hoses was like half of everywhere else... and frankly Gates is probably the superior brand, too.

ACDELCO 45A0287 Tie Rod End @ $ 11.53
ACDELCO 36P0197 Power Steering Pump @ $ 56.79
GATES 364680 Power Steering Return Hose @ $ 14.48
GATES 358860 Power Steering Pressure Hose @ $ 19.24
TIMKEN 331227H Crankshaft Seal @ $ 8.58

I LOVE IT WHEN A $100 HEAD GASKET JOB TURNS INTO A SECOND MORTGAGE!
Old 14th March 2019
Saab Lunatic

Got my big (well, relatively) 9" clutch installed. The resting position of the pressure plate's finger seem unusually compressed, but the clutch works well and appears to fully release, so I'm rolling with it.

http://www.sacsaabs.org/sacsaabs.org...5spg_228mm.jpg

Also got my ceramic coated manifold back. Performance Coating always does such a nice job!

http://www.sacsaabs.org/sacsaabs.org...icmanifold.jpg

It makes the removal of the EGR diverter look very nice!

http://www.sacsaabs.org/sacsaabs.org...anifoldegr.jpg

This weekend: Pull the timing cover, remove the steering rack.

I kinda like working on cars at a medium pace!

Last edited by jvanabra; 15th March 2019 at 10:46 PM.
Old 15th March 2019
Saab Lunatic

17" wheels mean you can pretty easily remove tie rod ends without removing the wheels. That's neat.

http://www.sacsaabs.org/sacsaabs.org..._tierodend.jpg

And with a lot of the engine gone, there is good access to the rack...

http://www.sacsaabs.org/sacsaabs.org...g_psrackin.jpg

So much room, the rack can come out the top:

http://www.sacsaabs.org/sacsaabs.org..._psrackout.jpg

I went ahead with the next part order - seals and whatnot needed to put it back together. I also tossed in some Powerflex "Race" steering rack bushings and some Powerflex "regular" swaybar bushings.

I think that's it? Hope? IDK.

The steering rack will be here at the end of next week, so now I've got not much to do!

Last edited by jvanabra; 15th March 2019 at 11:05 PM.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Saab Lunatic

The developments:

1. Got my Maval remanufactured steering rack and it looks good. Clean anyway. Ebay seller QE Parts delivered!

2. Got my AC Delco reman power steering pump and tie rod ends from rockauto.

3. Still waiting on my eeuroparts shipment, but it shipped a week ahead of schedule. I need the Powerflex bushings for the steering rack before I can do any more work...

4. My machine shop ran into a roadblock on the head, which is that valve guides for the B212/B234 head are NLA. After a painful amount of research, I determined that all pre-T7 valve guides share the same ID and OD, and vary only in length. Early B202 guides are 49mm long, B2123/B234 guides are 45mm long, and the T5 "short" heads are 42.5mm long. So, I have a set of 16 49mm B202 guides coming from thesaabsite, which will be cut down to 45mm and used.

4a. I have determined this is gonna be the last time I deal with an old "long" head. Next time, it's a T5 head. On Saturday, I enlisted my wife to help me yank a T5 "short" head from a '98 900SET that I'll get to work on. And by "I'll" I mean, "Will pay a machine shop."

5. The next roadblock is lack of stock on the "top" or "left" or "swinging" timing chain guide. Eeuroparts emailed to say they were out of stock, and nobody else in the US had any. Found a few in Canada, and they are en route now. (And then a shipping confirmation from eeuro said it was shipped anyway, so I'm not sure what the score is!).

6. I started looking into a filter for the power steering system, and while measuring the inlet and outlet of the power steering fluid reservoir I think I introduced a future failure... I heard a tiny *crack* when pulling off the suction hose. I've been done with the c900 reservoir for a long, long time so now's my chance. My plan is a reservoir from a BMW - it's the same black ZF bottle as Saab uses BUT with inlet & outlet pointing straight down. It fits in a 9-5's bracket, which I will mount where the AC evaporator used to be. Only gotcha is the ZF bottle uses a 1/2" inlet and the c900 a 3/8" inlet, so I'll use a little hose barb union and address that issue. These black ZF bottles have a built-in filter and are on all sorts of cars. And cheap new. And available. WIN.

It's raining again, but I am hoping for sunny skies this weekend so I can put the steering back together. I'm sure the head is another week out.

Last edited by jvanabra; 3 Weeks Ago at 05:42 PM.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Saab Lunatic

Of course UPS bungled my delivery. Work weekend of installing a steering system and cam timing gear shot. Boo.

I was 100% sure I would go into April with the car back on the road. PLANS SUCK.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Saab Lunatic

I had nothing better to do, so I helicoiled the exhaust bracket bosses on the transmission.

http://www.sacsaabs.org/sacsaabs.org...nshelicoil.jpg

Someone really stripped them out... more random damage!

I decided that with this stall I'm going to take all the bracketry over to a powder coating place and have them refinished. They're pretty rough after all this time - I'm a little happy they won't be an eyesore anymore!
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Saab Lunatic

PARTS!!!

But it's raining.

Made this janky contraption to get the brand new bushings out of the brand new rack so I could stick some Powerflex "Black" bushings in.

http://www.sacsaabs.org/sacsaabs.org...ackbushing.jpg

Ford 2.3t crank pulley makes a hell of a die.

Now I just gotta wait for sunny skies.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Saab Lunatic

Finally making some progress!

Got the head back from the shop - looks great! They had to weld up some erosion on the bottom of the head and then surface it, but it was flat so material loss is negigible.

http://www.sacsaabs.org/sacsaabs.org..._cleanhead.jpg

Got the swaybar bushings installed.... nice and clean (well, sort of), and nice and purple!

http://www.sacsaabs.org/sacsaabs.org...spg_purple.jpg

With any luck this weekend the steering rack goes in, and I can get the timing cover/chain guides done... Then I'm back to waiting for some powder coating to finish.
Old 1 Week Ago
Saab Lunatic

The weather was good this so I had the opportunity to keep working a bit. I got the new steering rack (and tie rod ends) installed pretty quickly, and dug into the timing chain housing:

http://www.sacsaabs.org/sacsaabs.org...imingchain.jpg

I did find some broken pieces of timing chain guide hanging around along with what I'm pretty sure are pieces of the old pad on the valve cover. Gah. Glad that's gone!

I then found out the hard way that the OE lower timing chain guide has a steel frame, but the PPS (all that's available...) replacement has a idiotic cast aluminum frame.

http://www.sacsaabs.org/sacsaabs.org...hainguides.jpg

Can't wait for that to break!

The differences sent me scrambling for new hardware. The thin steel guides use little allen head bolts, but aluminum guides are much, much thicker. I have a *crapload* of hardware scavenges from dozens of parts cars over many, many years, but (remarkably) finding right-sized M6 (?) hardware proved difficult. My M6 game is weak!

I put the cover back on and called it a day.

http://www.sacsaabs.org/sacsaabs.org...halfengine.jpg

Putting those end covers on is always nervewracking for me. I had a bad experience ~10 years ago and I don't do the job often enough to get over the anxiety. I am super-concerned about leaks between the engine & transmission - with the transmission under there it's just a really clumsy install. Hopefully everything goes ok.

I'd had enough bending over a lowered Saab all day... this week's goals are the oil pump & crank pulley and getting the head on. Then I'm on hold waiting for my shiny parts to come back. I'm out the next two weekends so I'm definitely pushing the boundaries on this project!
Old 1 Week Ago
Saab Lunatic

Got my parts back from the powder coating place. I'm a little sad to lose the gold (cadmium? zinc phosphate?) factory coating, but that wasn't a cost-effective option. "Bengal silver" was the choice, and no matter what it's better than "dirty and rusty."

http://sacsaabs.org/sacsaabs.org/mis...shinymetal.jpg
Old 1 Week Ago

Join Date: Jan 2017                                                
My Saabs: 1987 900

Looking great!
Old 1 Week Ago
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jun 2003                                                
My Saabs: 94 900SE V6, 2000 9-5 Aero mt

Those powdercoated parts look awesome! Would you mind giving a point of reference on how much that picture cost? I know things will be alot different from Ohio to California. Do you clean the parts at all, or do they do all that?

2000 9-5 Aero mt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement