How to Retrofit OEM Bluetooth Functionality into 2007-2008 9-3 SS/SC/CV - Page 6 - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab Ownership General Topics > Audio, Video, Navigation & Security

Notices

Audio, Video, Navigation & Security Discussions about in-car infotainment, navigation and security systems - independent of car model and year.

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 21st November 2012
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Sep 2009                                                
My Saabs: '08 9-3 Aero XWD SC, '92 900 T16 Convt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dephtones View Post
So I think we clarified this earlier in the thread, but this won't work with an '08 double din CD player HU will it?

Edit* to clarify, I have an 08 2.0T sedan with the standard CD/XM/MP3 HU unit (no navigation). I've been told that it just won't work to get the VCIM and BT antenna. The radio will show up as being able to be paired with, but the voice prompts will not be there.

Anyone else can confirm this?
Not precisely. But I can confirm that it doesn't work with the Bose HU. It's just as you say. The SWBs don't work so you can't get the pairing voice prompts. The only guys who have ever gotten it working have Nav HUs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 21st November 2012

Join Date: Oct 2012                                                
My Saabs: SAAB 93 1.9TID Sportcombi Anniversary

Got Bluetooth in my 07 Sportcombi Ann, together with navi, steering wheel controls and voice recognition and info visible on SID, love it and use it all the time! By the way it's righthand drive.
Old 8th February 2013
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Apr 2012                                                
My Saabs: Ltd. Edition 2008 Lynx Cabrio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzman View Post
Thanks for the answers, 96mn12.

Hey, RhodyDave, so the answer is I did have it fully working, but now only partially. I did, because the original setup in my '07 was the Saab/GM "corporate radio" (non-nav HU), the TEL1 adapter (no OnSTAR), and non-Bose. I installed the Saab UHP, which is the BT unit that Saab put into non-US cars. Works great - love it, great sound, uses the SID.

Then I successfully changed out the original HU for the Saab SAT-NAV HU, which works great EXCEPT for the fact that it won't work correctly with the UHP. I'm fairly certain this is because I have (naturally) a US instead of EU version (same hardware, different firmware), which appears to be ignoring commands from the BCM and, instead, awaiting commands from the currently non-existent OnSTAR unit.

So, I'm looking at the Gen 8 VCIM as an alternative solution as well ... though because I don't currently have the OnSTAR components in the car, I have a bit farther to go than you, I think.
Can I ask what was needed to upgrade to the factory Nav head unit? I have an '08 with the 300 watt premium system with disc changer, and the gen 7 onstar vcim. Did u need any wiring harness modifications or was it plug and play? Thanx for any help u can offer.

Old 9th December 2013

Join Date: Aug 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2008 9 Aero SS, 2011 9-4X Aero
Garage
Default Revival

So I just bought a 2008 SportCombi. Picked up a non-nav head unit from a 2009, put it in. Put a bluetooth VCIM in. Used a Tech 2 to add the OnStar module. When I hit the PTT green phone button on the steering wheel, the phone icon comes up on the head unit display, but nothing else happens. I can also see the General Motors bluetooth on my cell phone. But there are no voice prompts from the car. Any ideas? Did I forget to do something?
Old 14th December 2013

Garage

So here's the deal. I compared HU harnesses on my 2008 and 2009, both came from factory with BOSE systems and non-navi units. I also compared OnStar harnesses. I tried putting my 2009 head unit in the 08 with both VCIMs (the one I bought and the one from my car that I know works), neither worked. Here is the kicker: I tried the '09 non-nav single CD radio I bought in combination with the VCIM I bought in Tally ('09), and it worked, I got "Bluetooth ready". No combination would work in the 2008 though, my radio/new radio, new VCIM/my VCIM. I just hit the green PTT button on the SW and the phone icon would come up on the HU but no voice prompt at all.

I also didn't see any differences between the diagrams on top of each HU (08 vs 09).

Back to the harnesses. On my '09, there were 2 extra wires going into the back of the HU on one of the connectors (connector K16), a gray wire and a green wire (see attached screenshots of WIS). My '08 does not have these 2 wires, they are simply empty terminals. Not sure about the black wire in the screenshot.

Now, on the OnStar harness in the rear parcel shelf, my 09 also has 3 extra wires on one of the connectors (connector K12 I think). The extra wires on my '09 OnStar connector are yellow, blue, and white/green, which I failed to locate in WIS. Maybe you you can. The '08 simply does not have these wires in the harness. I'm pretty sure these correlate with the extra 2 wires on the HU harness.

I was going to try and run extra wires but my head started to hurt so I gave up. I feel like I'm so close! Any help would be amazingly appreciated! If I can't get it I'll just do a Parrot kit with SWC from JustCarKits.

Onstar 2009 wiring diagram:

Onstar 2008 wiring diagram:

2009 headunit wiring diagram:

Sudden realization - I think this is why a bunch of people with '08 non-navs couldn't add factory BT with the VCIM. Everyone though it had something to do with the head unit, which it kind of does, but doesn't. '08 cars with nav have the right wiring harness to incorporate the BT VCIM, but '08 cars with non-nav have different harnesses with less wires. Poop.

I'd be willing to run new wires from HU to VCIM but I can't seem to figure out where to run them, since the colors are different. This is getting messy and my head is spinning.
Old 14th December 2013
SaabNut!

Join Date: Dec 2010                                                
My Saabs: 10 9-5 aero , 08 Aero combi

subscribed, very interested in any progress with this as Id like to get this going in my ladies 08.sadly I dont think I have the tools at the moment to try to contribute.
Old 14th December 2013
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Mar 2004                                                
My Saabs: '06 95 SC & '08 TurboX SC - Tech2

Ok. You're correct that the 08 are missing wires. You need to run 2 wires from the radio to the onstar box from the 09 to make it work. Check my thread on putting in the factory nav into my turbo X.

I ran the wires from the head behind the steering wheel into the kick panel, under the carpet to the trunk and into the vcim.

And if your car is non-Bose, I'll sell you my non-Bose nav and buy a Bose nav.

Last edited by Melovesha; 14th December 2013 at 07:04 PM. Reason: Forgot about the Bose.
Old 14th December 2013

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melovesha View Post
Ok. You're correct that the 08 are missing wires. You need to run 2 wires from the radio to the onstar box from the 09 to make it work. Check my thread on putting in the factory nav into my turbo X.

I ran the wires from the head behind the steering wheel into the kick panel, under the carpet to the trunk and into the vcim.

And if your car is non-Bose, I'll sell you my non-Bose nav and buy a Bose nav.
I see the light!!! Going to try this right now, will look up your thread. THANK YOU!!!

Old 14th December 2013
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by swedespeed7 View Post
I see the light!!! Going to try this right now, will look up your thread. THANK YOU!!!

Like I tried to tell u in my email. Not sure if u got it, since I didn't hear back from u. In the pics uu sent me, do u notice that the '08 radio diagram says pins 7 & 15 (N/C) that means NO CONNECTION cuz those wires are the ones missing in the '08's harness. U see the '09 says (mono mix + & mono mix -), those need to be the Onstar RETURN wires to the radio. It's odd that your '09 radio diagram says pins 4 & 5 are phone, just like the '08. Cuz on my radio 4 & 5 are (mic+ & mic-) maybe cuz mine is a NAV unit. Either way u need to run the wires from the Onstar box to the HU. Look in your '09, wherever the wires are in the Onstar harness that your '08 is missing. U need to connect to those pins and run those forward to the HU pins 7 & 15, don't worry that there are 3 wires missing at the Onstar and uu only have 2 at the radio. One line is a drain wire that reduces EMI in the comm lines. The 3'rd wire is really unnecessary as I did an install for another member and he bought the GM VR harness, it only had the 2 wires. Also the one I did with Melovesha In his car only had the 2 wire GM harmness off Ebay.
Old 14th December 2013

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABalingus View Post
Like I tried to tell u in my email. Not sure if u got it, since I didn't hear back from u. In the pics uu sent me, do u notice that the '08 radio diagram says pins 7 & 15 (N/C) that means NO CONNECTION cuz those wires are the ones missing in the '08's harness. U see the '09 says (mono mix + & mono mix -), those need to be the Onstar RETURN wires to the radio. It's odd that your '09 radio diagram says pins 4 & 5 are phone, just like the '08. Cuz on my radio 4 & 5 are (mic+ & mic-) maybe cuz mine is a NAV unit. Either way u need to run the wires from the Onstar box to the HU. Look in your '09, wherever the wires are in the Onstar harness that your '08 is missing. U need to connect to those pins and run those forward to the HU pins 7 & 15, don't worry that there are 3 wires missing at the Onstar and uu only have 2 at the radio. One line is a drain wire that reduces EMI in the comm lines. The 3'rd wire is really unnecessary as I did an install for another member and he bought the GM VR harness, it only had the 2 wires. Also the one I did with Melovesha In his car only had the 2 wire GM harmness off Ebay.

SAABalingus you are BRILLIANT!!! And NO I didn't get your email, I just thought you were busy and didn't have time to reply! But I just figured it out 2 mins ago and I have it fully working!

I now have OEM bluetooth with non-nav headunit in a 2008!!!

;

Thank you to ALL who made this AMAZING accomplishment possible. This forum is THE BEST!!!
Old 15th December 2013

My Saabs: 2007 9-3 2.0T conv, 1988 900 Turbo HB

Quote:
SAABalingus you are BRILLIANT!!! And NO I didn't get your email, I just thought you were busy and didn't have time to reply! But I just figured it out 2 mins ago and I have it fully working!

I now have OEM bluetooth with non-nav headunit in a 2008!!!

;

Thank you to ALL who made this AMAZING accomplishment possible. This forum is THE BEST!!!
Congrats - that is awesome!
Old 15th December 2013

Garage

Also, side note, did you guys know about the "voice" command? You say "bluetooth", then say "voice", then you're patched through to your cell phone's voice commands (iPhone Siri for example!). This eliminates the need to store numbers and nametags on the car and just use your phone!
Old 15th December 2013
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Also, side note, did you guys know about the "voice" command? You say "bluetooth", then say "voice", then you're patched through to your cell phone's voice commands (iPhone Siri for example!). This eliminates the need to store numbers and nametags on the car and just use your phone!
Yeah, knew that. It is a cool feature though, works great with the Android platform too. So what exactly was your solution? What wires did u move where and what not, so other non NAV peeps can do this too. It's great that so many of us are getting the BT working.

Note: if u store people u call a lot in the car system, it will announce the name when u get a call.
Old 15th December 2013

Garage

Quote:
Yeah, knew that. It is a cool feature though, works great with the Android platform too. So what exactly was your solution? What wires did u move where and what not, so other non NAV peeps can do this too. It's great that so many of us are getting the BT working.

Note: if u store people u call a lot in the car system, it will announce the name when u get a call.
This of course is assuming you have a Bluetooth VCIM, part number 20787107 or 12842801. I ran 2 wires from the VCIM to the head unit. See below diagrams of connectors. First pic is of OnStar connector, second is of head unit connector. Match the red to red and blue to blue and hey, presto! you've got Bluetooth!!!

And yeah I knew about the name announcing, I don't have a smart phone so I like that feature in my '09.

Old 15th December 2013

My Saabs: 08 9-3 2.0T (sold), 04 9-3 2.0t (sold)

What technique did you use to add the wires into the harnesses?
Old 15th December 2013

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmo View Post
What technique did you use to add the wires into the harnesses?
For the main run from front to back (ran on passenger side), I used simple 18-gauge stranded power wire (red/black combo). For the connectors, I used very small home alarm system solid wire (24 gauge maybe?). This allowed me to poke the solid wire through the connector holes and make contact with the pins on the units. Wrapped the wire around the connectors and zip-tied. They're not going anywhere. Took maybe 20 mins.
Old 15th December 2013
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Oct 2009                                                
My Saabs: 08' 9-3 Droptop

Quote:
works great with the Android platform too. Note: if u store people u call a lot in the car system, it will announce the name when u get a call.
Are you talking about the "nametags" on the car system?

EDIT: anyone with factory satnav and btooth, do you get caller ID on the screen?
Old 15th December 2013
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96mn12 View Post
Are you talking about the "nametags" on the car system?

EDIT: anyone with factory satnav and btooth, do you get caller ID on the screen?
When someone in my tags calls, it announces the name and shows the incoming phone # on the NAV screen. There is a big blue rectangle that lights up in the middle of the screen, with the # that's calling.
Old 15th December 2013
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
This of course is assuming you have a Bluetooth VCIM, part number 20787107 or 12842801. I ran 2 wires from the VCIM to the head unit. See below diagrams of connectors. First pic is of OnStar connector, second is of head unit connector. Match the red to red and blue to blue and hey, presto! you've got Bluetooth!!!

And yeah I knew about the name announcing, I don't have a smart phone so I like that feature in my '09.

So it was 7 & 15 like I said. I'm glad uu got it working, I love my OEM BT and not having to buy those ridiculous Onstar minutes. Where did uu get your VCIM from, and what part number is it. Also, with the non NAV head unit are u able to use voice commands to control the radio too? With my NAV I can say XM, FM, AM, NAV, GO TO CH. ###, etc? and the radio does it by itself.
Old 15th December 2013
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Oct 2009                                                
My Saabs: 08' 9-3 Droptop

Quote:
When someone in my tags calls, it announces the name and shows the incoming phone # on the NAV screen. There is a big blue rectangle that lights up in the middle of the screen, with the # that's calling.
yep i used to have that come up, it also flashes the same box with "bluetooth" when it first connects.

fcking pisses me off the old dealer upgraded the code (i can only assume) and now lost all that functionality.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement