ABS Module intermittent failure - SaabCentral Forums
*
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum


Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-5 Mk.I, 1998-2009 > 9-5 Workshop

9-5 Workshop 9-5 Workshop (1997 to 2010) Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12th December 2007
SteveB SteveB is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005                                                
Location: Ascot
My Saabs: 9-5 2.3LPT
Posts: 28
Default ABS Module intermittent failure

Hi All,

I've checked the forum and found plenty of people have also had ABS module failure, symptoms being ABS warning light, Brake warning light, park warning light, and speedo failure.

My questions are: (1) Has anyone had intermittent failure (and fixing) both during driving and in between (parking and driving)? Sometimes it fails on engine start then starts working during driving. (2) Does anyone know of failure being caused by accidental damage during maintenance?

My car just had oil pressure switch replaced and the starter motor was taken off to get to it. When it was back on the ABS warnings started. I know the ABS unit is close to the starter so I'm thinking maybe the mechanic could have accidently given it a whack...

Cheers,
Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 12th December 2007
DJ53 DJ53 is offline
SaabNut!
 
Join Date: Jan 2005                                                
Location: Liverpool
My Saabs: 9 3 Aero
Posts: 433
Default

Hi Steve,Before I eventually changed my ABS module it did appear to be an intermittent fault.CAr would run fine for months then suddenly all the lights appeared. Ran around for a few days and it would work ok then it wouldnt. Over the course of a year it would come and go. The last time it went though the warning lights stayed on and wouldnt go off. I checked the wheel sensors etc and had the tech 2 read the ECU. Came back with unable to read main bus or some such.Laymans terms it couldnt communicate with main ECU which meant the ABS module knackered.
I cannot see your fault being associated with accidental damage as the actual Bosch unit is pretty much tucked away. In most of the cases logged its a fault that appears on older cars after about 4 years or so. I was told by a guy who repairs them that its just a bad design fault on these units and he has to perform some micro electronic surgery on them to bring them back to life.

Just old age I would think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 12th December 2007
SteveB SteveB is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005                                                
Location: Ascot
My Saabs: 9-5 2.3LPT
Posts: 28
Default

Hi Steve,Before I eventually changed my ABS module it did appear to be an intermittent fault.CAr would run fine for months then suddenly all the lights appeared. Ran around for a few days and it would work ok then it wouldnt. Over the course of a year it would come and go. The last time it went though the warning lights stayed on and wouldnt go off. I checked the wheel sensors etc and had the tech 2 read the ECU. Came back with unable to read main bus or some such.Laymans terms it couldnt communicate with main ECU which meant the ABS module knackered.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ53
I cannot see your fault being associated with accidental damage as the actual Bosch unit is pretty much tucked away. In most of the cases logged its a fault that appears on older cars after about 4 years or so. I was told by a guy who repairs them that its just a bad design fault on these units and he has to perform some micro electronic surgery on them to bring them back to life.

Just old age I would think.
Thanks for the reply DJ53, useful to know it can be intermittent before finally dying. I wondered about accidental damage as one previous poster broke the cable holder which caused a loose connection and showed the same symptoms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
  #4  
Old 2nd January 2008
SteveB SteveB is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005                                                
Location: Ascot
My Saabs: 9-5 2.3LPT
Posts: 28
Default

Finally found time to get an update after going down with flu the day I re-fitted the abs module.

Fantastic service from BBA Reman: posted registered Tuesday 17th Dec (6), received back Thursday 19th Dec registered post. Re-fitted on Saturday 21st Dec, one week after removal and instant fix. No lights or warning beeps, speedo and ABS all working again. Total cost 113.5 + 1.5 hours under the bonnet.

A few tips for anyone else making this change:
1) I removed battery and battery holder to get easier access to all 6 screws that need removing.
2) Removing bolts from fuse box allowed enough movement to make a difference, it's only 3 bolts. Removing it would have helped a lot but I couldn't see how to detach all the wires.
3) Removing the retaining clip was slightly tricky as you need to wiggle the clip AND lift the plug. The same was needed when re-fitting as it will not go back on without lifting and wiggle the plug.
4) Useful to use a flexible electric screwdriver driver bit as access to the screws can be tricky.

All in all a big recommendation for a DIY job. The dealership confirmed they will only replace the entire unit (including pump) which will cost 1,000+
Good luck to all and Happy New Year.

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 2nd January 2008
Chris 9-5's Avatar
Chris 9-5 Chris 9-5 is offline
Saab Sage!
 
Join Date: Jun 2003                                                
Location: SaabWorld
My Saabs: .
Posts: 22,211
Default

Well done Steve



__________________
I decline to grant to SAABCENTRAL.COM a non exclusive, royalty free, worldwide, perpetual license to reproduce, distribute, transmit, sublicense, create derivative works of, publicly display, publish and perform any materials and other information I submit to any public areas....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 2nd January 2008
8AA2YM's Avatar
8AA2YM 8AA2YM is offline
Active Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005                                                
Location: Denver
My Saabs: 2000 9-5 Gary Fisher Wagon
Posts: 69
Default

Good job. I posted this DIY on the web a long time ago.

Chris... I took pics etc of this if you'd like to post to the Mx Sticky.

Also have DIY for Heater Bypass Valve for your use here.

Johnny

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB
Finally found time to get an update after going down with flu the day I re-fitted the abs module.

Fantastic service from BBA Reman: posted registered Tuesday 17th Dec (6), received back Thursday 19th Dec registered post. Re-fitted on Saturday 21st Dec, one week after removal and instant fix. No lights or warning beeps, speedo and ABS all working again. Total cost 113.5 + 1.5 hours under the bonnet.

A few tips for anyone else making this change:
1) I removed battery and battery holder to get easier access to all 6 screws that need removing.
2) Removing bolts from fuse box allowed enough movement to make a difference, it's only 3 bolts. Removing it would have helped a lot but I couldn't see how to detach all the wires.
3) Removing the retaining clip was slightly tricky as you need to wiggle the clip AND lift the plug. The same was needed when re-fitting as it will not go back on without lifting and wiggle the plug.
4) Useful to use a flexible electric screwdriver driver bit as access to the screws can be tricky.

All in all a big recommendation for a DIY job. The dealership confirmed they will only replace the entire unit (including pump) which will cost 1,000+
Good luck to all and Happy New Year.

Steve
__________________
8AA2YM

Last edited by 8AA2YM; 2nd January 2008 at 03:06 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 2nd January 2008
Dagger969 Dagger969 is offline
Active Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007                                                
Location: Missouri
My Saabs: 2000 9-5 Aero
Posts: 86
Default

8AA2YM:

I cant get your PDF to load. I'm very interested to see it though. Any chance you could post it here or email it to me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 2nd January 2008
8AA2YM's Avatar
8AA2YM 8AA2YM is offline
Active Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005                                                
Location: Denver
My Saabs: 2000 9-5 Gary Fisher Wagon
Posts: 69
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagger969
8AA2YM:

I cant get your PDF to load. I'm very interested to see it though. Any chance you could post it here or email it to me?
It's done.
__________________
8AA2YM

Last edited by 8AA2YM; 2nd January 2008 at 04:33 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 2nd January 2008
Chris 9-5's Avatar
Chris 9-5 Chris 9-5 is offline
Saab Sage!
 
Join Date: Jun 2003                                                
Location: SaabWorld
My Saabs: .
Posts: 22,211
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8AA2YM
Good job. I posted this DIY on the web a long time ago.

Chris... I took pics etc of this if you'd like to post to the Mx Sticky.

Also have DIY for Heater Bypass Valve for your use here.

Johnny
Thanks



__________________
I decline to grant to SAABCENTRAL.COM a non exclusive, royalty free, worldwide, perpetual license to reproduce, distribute, transmit, sublicense, create derivative works of, publicly display, publish and perform any materials and other information I submit to any public areas....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 2nd January 2008
Dagger969 Dagger969 is offline
Active Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007                                                
Location: Missouri
My Saabs: 2000 9-5 Aero
Posts: 86
Default

Im not trying to jack this thread, but it seemed like an appropriate place.

1: I've noticed my car runs better when the ABS controller works. The boost gauge seems to go higher, can anyone confirm this?

2: I found a writeup on repairing the ABS controller myself (I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron), but I can't figure out how to get the little bugger open without damaging the case. Has anyone been able to open this?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11  
Old 2nd January 2008
gghh gghh is offline
Saab Lunatic
 
Join Date: Dec 2006                                                
Location: Hamburg Germany
My Saabs: BMW 530D Touring xDrive
Posts: 2,037
Default

Your ECU is desperate because of the missing speed signal when the abs controler is bad - so its possible there is a reduced power available
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12  
Old 2nd January 2008
8AA2YM's Avatar
8AA2YM 8AA2YM is offline
Active Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005                                                
Location: Denver
My Saabs: 2000 9-5 Gary Fisher Wagon
Posts: 69
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gghh
Your ECU is desperate because of the missing speed signal when the abs controler is bad - so its possible there is a reduced power available
True
__________________
8AA2YM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13  
Old 17th July 2008
Don1 Don1 is offline
Active Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008                                                
Location: Long Island, NY
My Saabs: 1999 Saab 9-5 SE 4cyl 2.3L
Posts: 55
Post ABS Module

I seem to have an ABS module problem on my 1999 Saab 9-5 but I am not sure what to do. I am getting the three (3) ABS module failure symptoms such as 'ABS warning light, Brake warning light, and speedo failure. IS this a DIY problem? Can i obtain a module from ebay or a salvage yard and have it work fine? I was told that there are different modules on each of the rear wheels. Is this true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14  
Old 20th July 2008
8AA2YM's Avatar
8AA2YM 8AA2YM is offline
Active Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005                                                
Location: Denver
My Saabs: 2000 9-5 Gary Fisher Wagon
Posts: 69
Default

These are hard to find in salvage. Just follow the posted DIY and you'll be fine.

You can drive without it for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don1
I seem to have an ABS module problem on my 1999 Saab 9-5 but I am not sure what to do. I am getting the three (3) ABS module failure symptoms such as 'ABS warning light, Brake warning light, and speedo failure. IS this a DIY problem? Can i obtain a module from ebay or a salvage yard and have it work fine? I was told that there are different modules on each of the rear wheels. Is this true?
__________________
8AA2YM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15  
Old 20th July 2008
Ryo's Avatar
Ryo Ryo is offline
Active Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007                                                
Location: Vancouver Canada
My Saabs: 03 Saab 9-5
Posts: 74
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8AA2YM
These are hard to find in salvage. Just follow the posted DIY and you'll be fine.

You can drive without it for a while.
I got a 03 9-5 with ESP, do you think i need to get the module with same part # or just get any 9-5 with ESP will be fine? and after you get it installed, do you need tech 2 to restart the computer? or just it is just plug and play?

ryo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #16  
Old 20th July 2008
8AA2YM's Avatar
8AA2YM 8AA2YM is offline
Active Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005                                                
Location: Denver
My Saabs: 2000 9-5 Gary Fisher Wagon
Posts: 69
Default

Just take out your module, send it away to be repaired, then put it back in.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryo
I got a 03 9-5 with ESP, do you think i need to get the module with same part # or just get any 9-5 with ESP will be fine? and after you get it installed, do you need tech 2 to restart the computer? or just it is just plug and play?

ryo
__________________
8AA2YM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #17  
Old 20th July 2008
Ryo's Avatar
Ryo Ryo is offline
Active Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007                                                
Location: Vancouver Canada
My Saabs: 03 Saab 9-5
Posts: 74
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8AA2YM
Just take out your module, send it away to be repaired, then put it back in.
i did, but somehow they told me that mine can't be fixed!!!! and i bought a used one from carparts and it is still not working and i returned it and tried the other one and still the same................now i am thinking what I should do, and i am driving without abs

ryo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #18  
Old 20th July 2008
8AA2YM's Avatar
8AA2YM 8AA2YM is offline
Active Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005                                                
Location: Denver
My Saabs: 2000 9-5 Gary Fisher Wagon
Posts: 69
Default

Did you talk to the guys at the Canadian place that fixes them?
__________________
8AA2YM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #19  
Old 20th July 2008
Ryo's Avatar
Ryo Ryo is offline
Active Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007                                                
Location: Vancouver Canada
My Saabs: 03 Saab 9-5
Posts: 74
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8AA2YM
Did you talk to the guys at the Canadian place that fixes them?
i went to the dealer and pull out the code at 145dollars cost!!
and they told me they need another couple hrs to figuar out what is the problem!? I feel something wrong from them and I just paid that and came back.

here is the thread from me. please read and let me know what you feel.

https://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=132667


ryo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #20  
Old 21st July 2008
jonneh's Avatar
jonneh jonneh is offline
Active Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006                                                
Location: West Hartford, CT
My Saabs: 2003 9 Aero 5spd
Posts: 89
Cool

I had the same issue right after I got my Aero, drove it a few days and bam all the brake-type lights came (ABS,TCS,Parking). It was still under warranty at the time and I had a dealer pull the codes and ended up replacing both rear wheel speed sensors. That was 2years and over 60k miles ago and it has happened a few times (maybe three) in the last 4-5months or so and has been entirely intermittent.

My solution has just been pull over when possible, shut off the car for a min and then start 'er back up. The lights haven't come back on after that. Really sounds like an electrical bit that wears out over time. My only gripe with it is the fact that I think at the time it feels like the TCS and ABS are def kicked off. At inopportune times that's just no good. I dunno if this switches off the ABS or if it's just a warning, the manual says ABS is always on under braking IIRC.

Good to know I can check on the state of the ABS module, I'll try and check that out.
__________________
_ jonneh |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


3" cti turbo back | k&n high flow intake | future... bilstein hds on stock aero springs| steg3?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SaabCentral Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:07 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

top of page | sitemap | email us



copyright © 2003 - 2011 saabcentral.com, All rights reserved http://www.whiter.co.uk - valid xhtml - valid css
SaabCentral is an independently run website and is not affiliated in any way to Saab Automobile AB.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
 

Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.