Originally Posted by Josdek
I am all in favor on trying this repair yourself. But....my only advice is to be conservative in your efforts. I repaired mine by very gently using a relatively cool iron. I restored about 95% and then succumbed to the "if a little is good more must be wonderful." On the second pass with the iron the substance that holds the ribbon cable on had had enough and seperated with almost zero force on it. It appears that whatever it is (it's sort of glue-like but isn't exactly glue), it will tolerate some heating once, maybe twice, but then starts to delaminate.
Let us know how it works, vicarious success is better than none at all (I think).
Same happened to me. I would just cough up the $70 and send it to BBA-Reman and have it done right the first time.