SaabCentral Forums banner

Is stage 1 vtuner worth the extra $ over stage 0?

8K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  ride5000 
#1 ·
I have an 06 aero. I was about to order stage 0 from vtuner but wondering if I should just spring for stage 1? Worth it? Thoughts?

Looking for better off the performance not top speed.

#2 ·
Not sure if you're aware of this, but stage 1 includes: Turbo Upgrade (Super 19T Compressor), Denso Iridium Spark Plugs, K&N Sport Filter

So it's not just a simple reflash.

#5 ·
Pretty sure all the tuners limit the torque output of 1 and 2 gear because it's a fwd. Bigger compressor is going to mean it will spool up a little later than the stock compressor and give more power later in the powerband. Sooo more top end than low end IMO

#9 ·
The car doesnt spin-spin-spin like you would expect, my drag launches somewhat soft. Not sure why i have it on full power in 1st, it improves throttle response off the line i guess because it doesnt need to think about torque control. I feel the front suspension components are taking a beating though...

As for stage 1 vs stage 0, if youre on the path and have the budget for stage 1 why not stage 2? Take full advantage of the turbo upgrade.

#10 ·
it depends on what you mean by "off the line."

there's normal day to day driving, in which case the EXTREMELY low stock threshold for boost will be somewhat raised with a larger comp wheel and light turbine clip. this may be interpreted as being "slower," because gentle starts begin somewhere around 1k rpm which is below the point where the turbo wakes up.

then there's launching the car, which means starting at some elevated rpm and attempting to accelerate as quickly as possible. chances are that elevated rpm will be high enough to generate enough boost.

once the car is moving and the rpms are above say 2k5, then the larger turbo will undoubtedly provide more torque.

you didn't mention if your car is an auto or a manual...

#12 ·
Thanks that's helpful. I have the 6 speed manual. I've got the money for stage 0, 1 or 2, but I don't want to spend it just to find out that I need a racetrack to really feel the difference between them.

I'm looking for the most torque at the lowest RPM I suppose. If stage 1 or 2 just boost at the upper end of the RPM range, then that wouldn't be worth the money for me, because I don't have the opportunity to drive at high speeds.

But if they really improve performance from say 25mph to 70mph (just as an example), then that would be great. But if they just turn it into a 150mph (or whatever) car, that's useless to me.

#14 ·
I am no modding expert but I just want to clarify what you are after. On paper our cars make a heap or torque at low RPM even stock, the issue we has is poor throttle responsive as we have essentially 10 year old turbo technology (get in an Audi 2T and get back to me).

You can have 600nm or torque at 2,000 RPM but that turbo has to spool.

#15 ·
On the day to day i dont think you will notice a difference because on paper the 2 tunes make roughly the same torque. The bigger compressor wheel allows torque to be maintained at a higher rpm so you don't get the drastic dropoff like us stage 0 drivers do after 5000 rpm.

#16 ·
Vtune 0,1,2???

I have had two 9-3s Vtuned Stage 0.
It is truly amazing, after my first tune on my -06 Aero, I was all smiles. It was the fastest FWD car I've ever driven. The removal / reduction of torque limits on 1st and 2nd combined with the higher torque available is fantastic. However, there are some control issues both in terms of spin and steer... Awareness is required. Unfortunately you quickly get used to the extra torque, and I was underwhelmed when doing the same tune on the TurboX. Admittedly, it starts off at 280hp so the increase is not so dramatic, and I think I feel the XWD transmissions losses. The XWD has amazing grip though, so maybe its because its smoother and less touchy to drive than the FWD.
In any case, I think you'd be happy and satisfied to start with Stage0 on a FWD 9-3, imho... ;ol;

#17 ·
As TitanSaab notes the real difference is the drop-off post 5000-ish RPM. Strictly 25 to 70 MPH you're probably not to notice (much). Passing 50 to 80 you will :).

My experience doesn't translate perfectly to FWD, though, as XWD does smooth out (per Sandy) power to drivetrain.

When I went from Stage 0 to 1 I also added the catless 3 inch DP so that might have magnified the stage change some; and possibly mitigated any spool issue in going to 19T. For time being feel I'm at the 'sweet spot' (automatic limits too; I also understood that fuel economy -- already dismal stock, no change tuned 0/1-- would become that much worse w larger injectors).

Kanundrum may wish to pipe in (he too graduated from 0 to 1, manual X [RIP]).

#18 ·
; I also understood that fuel economy -- already dismal stock, no change tuned 0/1-- would become that much worse w larger injectors).
well, fuel economy doesn't HAVE to be worse with proper larger injectors--that is, injectors that retain proper spray patterns and atomization.

however, it often ends up being worse because the extra power/torque that is released by be able to inject sufficient fuel for additional airflow ends up highly addictive... :evil::cheesy:

but on a long steady road trip, cruise control, etc. it should be no worse than st 1.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.