SaabCentral Forums banner

95 (98-05) Blend Door Repair Kit

218K views 382 replies 127 participants last post by  Mimmi 
#1 ·
Have you guys bought this $225 kit? Please let me know, I know for the fact that this is my problem. Stealer charges about $1900 for this fix(%90 of it is labor). I would love to get a feedback, like how long does it take, and pictures if you have it. This is the only problem I have so far with my car. Here is the page, bottom part is what I am talking about(part number is SSBDRK.

http://www.thesaabsite.com/95/95Cabinfan.htm

Your feedback is sincerely appreciated.

Thank you

#27 ·
Thanks for your information, Nimisys.

Can you privide instructions/diagrams etc. and a list of necessary tools to do the job?

Also, can you recommend a testing proceedure that I can use to narrow down the problem?

I am going to try and remove some more parts today to see if I have the "08" broken part.

Thanks again

#28 ·
Mie Saab said:
Also, can you recommend a testing proceedure that I can use to narrow down the problem?

I am going to try and remove some more parts today to see if I have the "08" broken part.
Sorry if I'm being dense:confused: , but did you run the ACC diagnostics and get the 08 fault code? The diagnostic routine is run by pressing the OFF and AUTO buttons at the same time and seeing if a code other than 0 is returned.

#29 ·
Mie Saab said:
Thanks for your information, Nimisys.

Can you privide instructions/diagrams etc. and a list of necessary tools to do the job?

Thanks again
the drivers blend door is on the left side of the car, mode is on the right. you will need to remove the glove box and lower glove box panel, and generally pulling the vent tube also helps. there are 4 25 torx screws for the lower panel, then 3 25 torx for the lower edge of the glove box. opent he glove box and there are 4 more on the top edge. the peice of carpeting on the side of the center console you remove by pushing in the center of the pins then pulling out the outer ring. the vent tube should pull right out. IIRC the motor you want is the more accessable of the two front ones (one being the passenger side blend door motor), which i believe is the one higher up. while holding your hand on the motor, command it to change vent positions. if the motor vibrates or you cna feel it tryign to move then it means its getting the signal. if it does nothing, and none of the other ones do either, then its most likley the motor that needs replaced. if the motor works, then turn off the car and remove the motor formt he side of the box. its been awhile so i have forgotten the size screws that hold it on, but there should be two. now try t turn the shaft by hand. it should move freely and smoothly without any binding.

#30 ·
Many thanks to robw and Nimisys.

Robw, I have run the dignostics and usually don't get the "08" code, but it has appeared once. I still haven't removed the elbow and motor to examine the suspect part. At present, I just run the system for short periods because regardless of the temperature I set, the heat is full bore out of the defrost vents.

Nimisys, thanks for the detailed instructions. I'll give it a try over the weekend if it warms up any.

In an earlier post by a name I don't recall, reference was made to adjusting the flaps/doors manually. Can either of you explain how to do this?

Thanks again.

#31 ·
Blend Door Kit

Hi everyone - thanks so much for the information on the blend door kit.

We ordered it last week and received it on Saturday. My husband put it in and the heat is working great!!!

Thanks again. The Saab dealer quoted my $2600.00 for a new heater box and charged my $54.00 to look up the fault code 08. We are going to try to get our $54.00 back. What a racket!!!

Judy:D

#32 ·
Well done ;) And good luck :)

#33 · (Edited)
Fixing stop lever, but no air flow

Hi all... just registered to this incredibly useful site.
Special thanks to RobW for the detailed pics on the stop arm. Have the exact same problem, and the pics will get me through the stop arm fix for $17. Sweet!!

Unfortunately, I have no airflow, hot or cold into the cabin. Guessing its a problem with the acc fan. Diagnostics give 1 - 08. Will check again after fixing the stop arm, but don't think the stop arm is the end of my road.

I've done some searching, and didn't come across any posts on no airflow.

Any thoughts or links to checking the fan?

Sweatin' in PA.

Thanks.

#34 ·
Hey there,
Search for "ACC 08" in this forum. Sometimes the gear on the stepper motor can come off causing the flaps to not work right. It's late so I can't really do a search for ya right now. I had the same problem, just pushed that gear back on and it worked fine!

Good luck!

#35 ·
Curryman,

Jamison? You're in my backyard! Glad the post was helpful to you. ;) When you turn on the AC, do you hear ANY fan noise, or is it all quiet? Have you noticed it blowing poorly lately? The cabin fan will often act up prior to dying on you. Have you checked all of the fuses?

Here are some instructions on replacing the fan if that's what is needed:
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56818&highlight=cabin

#36 ·
Yup... Jamison, right down the road.
Thanks for the response.

No fan noise at all... just quiet.

Guessing I need a new fan, but is there anything else I should check? Saw a post on relay #12 (i think it was 12)... any other fuses, relays or electrical problems that might case the fan not to work.

looked at the fan replacement post... looks time consuming.

Any thoughts appreciated.

#37 ·
I've just encountered some weird sounds with my cooling system. I ran the ACC diagnostic and it showed 1...08. However, the heating/cooling in the car is fine, from all vents. What prompted me to run the check is that everytime I step on the gas, I can hear this mechanical "whiz" sound in my left ear (I'm in the US), coming from what seems to be directly beside my seat. If I slam on the brakes, I get a slightly different "whizzing" sound... almost like something's opening and closing depending on which way I jolt the car.

Can the 1...08 fault code effect something other than the blend door thing under the dash? This sound is definitely not coming from the dash area... more to the side of the car. I'm going to follow the directions posted previously and check under the dash just in case, though.

#41 ·
Will the 08 (or any ACC code) cause the compressor to be disabled? I'm getting the 08 code and the compressor does not come on.

#44 ·
bigmac,

super glueing might work, but it will probably give again in a little while or may break in another spot. I would suggest you go out and buy a new one - they're cheap. If you are set on glueing, try a good plastic epoxy of some type - super glue just doesn't last and can't hold up to any torquing IMO.

#49 ·
Hey guys

First off.... dammmmm this is not something for me to be working on, actually thought about driving the car into the harbor... I am not good with small spaces and my fat hands he he

ANYWAY.... I have a code 1 - 13 and then a 2 - 08.

I have checked the everything I could and the left door blend is fine, it works and all.

As I read from the link to the explanations on what the faults codes means i should have a:
1 - 13 air distribution motor that is jammed.... is there any info on that?

2 - 08 left blend door that is loose but it's not, it works fine??????

I am really lost right now...

Hope some of you can help.

#50 ·
At lowest setting only getting outside temperature. Heat works great.

I'm getting the 1...08 (all the time) and 2...13 (intermittently). I get no better than the outside temp at the lowest setting on my ACC, but the heat works great. No leaks, decent fan spead, coolant fine. There is a high pitch whining that comes on with the A/C that lingers for a few seconds after I turn it off. I'm not sure if this is just a red herring but I'm also not convinced that the 08 error is responsible for the lack of A/C cooling. I've got an extended warranty which I think covers these issues but I hate to leave the car for days while they try to figure it out. Any thoughts?

#51 ·
camaro,
are you having any problems with the AC other than getting the codes? If not, then what's the worry? If you are having troubles, then can you describe them?

connie,
If this is covered by your warranty, get it in and have them sort it if they will give you a loaner as this can be a bit of a PITA to diagnose. If you're really reluctant to take it in, go read from the beginning of this thread and get prepared to climb under the dash to take a few things apart and see what's going on.

#52 ·
No A/C function

The code 08 in itself does not bother me however for the past two summers the A/C does not blow anything but the outside temp (100 summers in the south are painful). The techs at saab (new working on saab cars though). Changed out the ACC, changed the drier motor, and filled the coolant. It did provide some cool air but only for about a week. Eventually the air is hot assuming it is outside air passing over a hot engine. After reading this forum I learned to check the ACC and started getting the 08 and 13 code hope this is the problem. Any other thought greatly appreciated. If I have to go back to the saab dealer I'd like to give them some guidance.

Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.