Review - Tuning by MPS B207R Stage 2 tune. [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Review - Tuning by MPS B207R Stage 2 tune.

SaabSton
26th February 2015, 08:39 AM
Found Mike threw the classifieds here on Saab Central (https://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262329) (https://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262329)
and did some research and liked the reviews so I sent him a message on his Facebook page as he suggested http://www.facebook.com/TuningbyMPS. I received a reply back within a few minutes. I told him about my 2005 Arc with 3" downpipe and BSR intake which Mike told me would qualify me for a stage 2 tune (275hp, 380nM). I was offer standard or overnight return shipping both at reasonable rates.
I opted for standard return shipping. Mike issued an invoice to my email address through a card processing service called ProPay which I never heard of before but it was just as quick and easy as Paypal. I send Mike the ECU on Monday and he tuned it and had it back at my house by Thursday evening which was much faster then I expected. It may also be noteworthy that I sent Mike my ECU in a USPS padded envelope and it came back bubble wrapped in a box! In the box was a decal with his logo and my ECU which also included his logo.
While my car was down I changed my plugs to a set of NGK plugs that Mike suggested so I was all ready to go. I installed my computer and started the car. On the first start it seemed to go up and down for a second and then smoothed right out and idled very nice. I let the car warm up for a few minutes and began on my way. Everything felt just as it should driving threw town until I finally got my foot into the pedal... WOW! It was honestly more then I expected it to be... my car is an automatic and spun the tire all threw 1st and 2nd gear anytime I wanted it to. It feels so much more linear when it is pulling and never seems to run out of steam. I am told my gas mileage should increase too but it has not on the last 2 tanks of gas but I think that is because I have been driving it like a crazy man... I cannot get enough of it!
Thank you Mike for the tune, I will be back in touch when I upgrade my exhaust and intercooler for sure! Dealing with him made me feel like I was talking to a friend, he made me feel comfortable in my decision 110%... I will admit, sending a main part of my car across the country to someone I never met was a bit unsettling but everything worked out perfect.

I highly recommend Tuning by MPS to anyone looking for something more out of their car!

;ol;

Roscoe_P_Coltrane
26th February 2015, 09:07 AM
I have a Stage 1 tune from MPS. Mike is a great guy and his tune has been nothing but reliable and fun for me.

I have the 6-speed manual transmission. When the time comes to replace the clutch and flywheel, I think I'll go for parts from the newer Regal that are rated for a higher output. That's really the only thing stopping me from going with a stronger tune. The stock clutch/flywheel is known to start slipping once the torque is ramped up too much. Mike did a great job of giving me a tune that gives me a lot of fun but also doesn't spike the torque curve too quickly to help save wear and tear on the stock clutch. He could have gone more aggressive but I told him that it's my daily and I don't want to burn things up too quickly. I've been 100% happy with his work.

iamamused
26th February 2015, 10:37 AM
I have a Stage 1 tune from MPS. Mike is a great guy and his tune has been nothing but reliable and fun for me.

I have the 6-speed manual transmission. When the time comes to replace the clutch and flywheel, I think I'll go for parts from the newer Regal that are rated for a higher output. That's really the only thing stopping me from going with a stronger tune. The stock clutch/flywheel is known to start slipping once the torque is ramped up too much. Mike did a great job of giving me a tune that gives me a lot of fun but also doesn't spike the torque curve too quickly to help save wear and tear on the stock clutch. He could have gone more aggressive but I told him that it's my daily and I don't want to burn things up too quickly. I've been 100% happy with his work.

How long / how many miles have you put on since having this tune?

Roscoe_P_Coltrane
26th February 2015, 11:49 AM
How long / how many miles have you put on since having this tune?

Been running the tune for about a year now. I've put close to 20k on the car in that time. It's probably time for new plugs as I'm running the same copper ngk plugs that Mike recommended. Coppers don't tend to last as long, but the car is still running great. New plugs are just something I like to do as a part of general maintenance at least once per year regardless of them causing issues.

Fuel mileage has been slightly better unless I'm in a "spirited" mood. I can get 26-27mpg if I keep it conservative while doing a mix of city/hwy driving. Long hwy trips with the cruise set at 70mph will get me 32+mpg. Putting my foot down more often will drop my average per tank down to about 23-24mpg.

I've never dynoed and using the torque app is not completely accurate but I've seen hp/tq readings in the 250hp/280tq range using the app, and the boost will spike at about 17-18psi then drop and hold closer to 12-13psi.

iamamused
26th February 2015, 12:12 PM
Been running the tune for about a year now. I've put close to 20k on the car in that time. It's probably time for new plugs as I'm running the same copper ngk plugs that Mike recommended. Coppers don't tend to last as long, but the car is still running great. New plugs are just something I like to do as a part of general maintenance at least once per year regardless of them causing issues.

Fuel mileage has been slightly better unless I'm in a "spirited" mood. I can get 26-27mpg if I keep it conservative while doing a mix of city/hwy driving. Long hwy trips with the cruise set at 70mph will get me 32+mpg. Putting my foot down more often will drop my average per tank down to about 23-24mpg.

I've never dynoed and using the torque app is not completely accurate but I've seen hp/tq readings in the 250hp/280tq range using the app, and the boost will spike at about 17-18psi then drop and hold closer to 12-13psi.

Dude, thanks a ton for your feedback. I have a 2007 2.0T - basically the same car as you. And my head's been spinning on what tuner to go with, what kind of tune to get, and whether or not tuning will result in any issues.

Its great to know your clutch has been doing fine.

Outta curosity how many miles were you at when you decided to tune?

Roscoe_P_Coltrane
26th February 2015, 12:42 PM
Dude, thanks a ton for your feedback. I have a 2007 2.0T - basically the same car as you. And my head's been spinning on what tuner to go with, what kind of tune to get, and whether or not tuning will result in any issues.

Its great to know your clutch has been doing fine.

Outta curosity how many miles were you at when you decided to tune?

bought the car in December 2013 w/ 59k on it. Tuned it sometime in Jan or Feb of 2014 I think, so it probably had about 62k on it by then. I'm at 84k now. Don't worry too much about mileage. I also have a 2000 1.8T A4 w/ 180k miles on it that runs a tune without issue. A basic ecu upgrade, aside from possible clutch issues if you go too aggressive, should not be a huge issue for higher mileage engines.

tour96se
27th February 2015, 08:43 AM
I have a 2003 linear 5mt that ibhad mike tune to sstage 1. At the time Ihad 193k . Now i have 199k . If your car had/has been maintained I wouldn't worry about mileage too much. Of course the clutch should always be taken into consideration.
He'sa good guy and will be doing my reflash when iI finish the turbo swap.

99subigt
7th March 2015, 07:43 PM
Mike tuned my 2005 arc 5sp last summer. Drove almost 2 hours I think, and I drove back with a huge smile, stage1,and still running stock clutch, and still loving it, kinda getting the itch of more hp so I might call Mike over the summer

CamoKing88
11th May 2015, 12:21 AM
I don't mean to come on here and disrespect Mike (he's a great guy) or what he does but other than his lowest level stage, all of the power numbers seem a bit lower than any other company I've found, can anyone comment on why that is? I haven't asked Mike but it interests me, maybe I should shoot him a message but if you all are happy with his work, I'm tempted just to say forget the few extra HP when I get my intercooler and exhaust done and just deal with him.

stopsign
11th May 2015, 04:48 AM
I don't mean to come on here and disrespect Mike (he's a great guy) or what he does but other than his lowest level stage, all of the power numbers seem a bit lower than any other company I've found, can anyone comment on why that is? I haven't asked Mike but it interests me, maybe I should shoot him a message but if you all are happy with his work, I'm tempted just to say forget the few extra HP when I get my intercooler and exhaust done and just deal with him.

My power levels are pretty on par with all the other tuners out there... What are you basing your statement on? Drop me a line and we can discuss.

Diggs
11th May 2015, 09:12 AM
Dyno results are highly variable. To do a legit comparison you would need to have the same car on the same day on the same dyno. I'm sure they all give similar output.

CamoKing88
11th May 2015, 10:09 AM
I was only referring to the power numbers each company posted. I would cite some examples but I'm stuck on mobile for a few days. At the time when I was looking, I thought it was a pretty sizeable difference (over 10 HP to comparable stages) but then again, they can claim anything. Just wanted to make sure Mike wasn't playing it too safe or the other tuning companies were more dangerous or anything like that. Mike, you'll be hearing from me when I get these coil packs replaced. Thanks for the help everyone.

Roscoe_P_Coltrane
11th May 2015, 11:59 AM
Mike will vary his tune according to YOUR wants/needs. Even when I had him do my Stage 1, he gave me a few options in terms of output and let me decide what I thought was best given my driving habits. Going more aggressive is not always a more desirable thing depending on the outputs and the torque curves involved. It's not necessarily "dangerous", just not enjoyable from an everyday driving perspective. It can also lead to reducing the lifespan of the clutch if you crank the torque up too soon and/or too fast. Clutch slippage is a very common result of pushing torque specs up on the oem clutch.

I told Mike that my 9-3 2.0T was my daily driver and that I wanted to increase performance but not at the expense of reliability/longevity of parts and not at the expense of everyday driving comforts. He had a specific version of his Stage 1 tune that had a more natural/gradual torque curve so that I wasn't being jerked or tossed back constantly by the torque at lower rpms. It's been over a year now. I've put over 25k miles on the car within that time and the car and the tune has been absolutely perfect.

Don't pay attention to 5-10hp differences between what others quote. Those are all estimates, not exact output numbers, and Mike can create a tune that fits exactly what you want within the specs of what mods you are running (if any).

stopsign
11th May 2015, 12:02 PM
Mike will vary his tune according to YOUR wants/needs. Even when I had him do my Stage 1, he gave me a few options in terms of output and let me decide what I thought was best given my driving habits. Going more aggressive is not always a more desirable thing depending on the outputs and the torque curves involved. It's not necessarily "dangerous", just not enjoyable from an everyday driving perspective. It can also lead to reducing the lifespan of the clutch if you crank the torque up too soon and/or too fast. Clutch slippage is a very common result of pushing torque specs up on the oem clutch.

I told Mike that my 9-3 2.0T was my daily driver and that I wanted to increase performance but not at the expense of reliability/longevity of parts and not at the expense of everyday driving comforts. He had a specific version of his Stage 1 tune that had a more natural/gradual torque curve so that I wasn't being jerked or tossed back constantly by the torque at lower rpms. It's been over a year now. I've put over 25k miles on the car within that time and the car and the tune has been absolutely perfect.

Don't pay attention to 5-10hp differences between what others quote. Those are all estimates, not exact output numbers, and Mike can create a tune that fits exactly what you want within the specs of what mods you are running (if any).

Well said!

I outta hire you as a P.R. rep!

iamamused
29th January 2016, 11:55 AM
Hey Roscoe - still liking the tune? Stock clutch still holding up?

Sassyness77
29th January 2016, 08:21 PM
I also dealt with Mike at MPS tuning, wonderful. I have his stage one tune on a TD04 swapped 2003 linear, 260hp/260tq the car is a whole new animal. Wonderful communication, great customer service, he went above and beyond my expectations. Highly recommend. Thanks again Mike!

greenwood
5th February 2016, 10:07 AM
stage 1 from Mike.

It woke the car up a lil, I am happy.