6 speed clutch options [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: 6 speed clutch options

johno504
24th January 2015, 03:10 PM
selection of parts seems limited compared to 5 speed box. Vector has 93k now and I plan to go with bcb stage 1. no issue with clutch slipping now, but wont be surprised when this becomes an issue. not going beyond stage 1,so what would be "best " clutch combo for this package for strictly street use ?

Swededemon
24th January 2015, 04:06 PM
A stage one likely won't require a clutch upgrade. I am tuned higher than your planned goal and have more miles than you.

I would look into an uprated pressure plate when you do go to swap it out though or purchase the clutch kit for the Buick Regal GS as that option would hold through stage 3+.

Saabohème
24th January 2015, 06:04 PM
Search is your phrendd.

Reinforced performance Sachs clutch (http://www.sachsperformance.com/Sachs-Performance-Clutch-Powerclutch/Saab/Saab-9-3-YS3F-09-00-/2-0-T-129-kW-;-09/2002-/Replacement-Clutch-Kit-Custom-Made-Reinforced::647.html);

Clutchnet (http://clutchnet.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=7936&Itemid=140);

Abbott Racing uprated pressure plate (http://www.abbottracing.net/product.php?id_product=409)

Black Diamond uprated clutches (http://www.partsforsaabs.com/index.php?cPath=86_227_600)

and

FMSR (http://www.fmsrperformance.com/test/index.php?route=product/category&path=20_112_71) stage 2-4, claimed to be good for 250 lbs/ft to 600

Clutch Options for 2.0T 6spd (https://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=355866&highlight=clutch)

Black Diamond vs KY vs Abbott (https://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=396202&highlight=clutch)

johno504
25th January 2015, 10:20 AM
I did the search, but I am not a fan of mix and match combos. spending $800.00 for a clutch won't happen for a car that cost $ 2,800. I was seeking input for a mild tune , lower cost option. hope the stock clutch holds up longer than I expect it to, if so, will have plenty of time to mull this over. thanks

Saabohème
25th January 2015, 12:09 PM
I did the search, but I am not a fan of mix and match combos. spending $800.00 for a clutch won't happen for a car that cost $ 2,800. I was seeking input for a mild tune , lower cost option. hope the stock clutch holds up longer than I expect it to, if so, will have plenty of time to mull this over. thanks
Understood. That was not clear from your question as asked:
selection of parts seems limited compared to 5 speed box. Vector has 93k now and I plan to go with bcb stage 1. no issue with clutch slipping now, but wont be surprised when this becomes an issue. not going beyond stage 1,so what would be "best " clutch combo for this package for strictly street use ?

johno504
25th January 2015, 04:26 PM
can you tell me the year BUICK GS clutch pack that will work, and what engine has this trans ? thank you

athauglas
26th January 2015, 04:29 PM
can you tell me the year BUICK GS clutch pack that will work, and what engine has this trans ? thank you

These are the part#s I used when I did my car. It's holding 280-ish hp and 300-ish tq just fine, as it should given how close that is to factory GS output:

Flywheel: 24260639 Slave Cyl: 55565331 Disc/PP: 55581277

This kit should apply to every model year with a 6-speed manual and the 2nd generation ecotec block. 2014- uses the 3rd gen, which I can't confirm is the same but honestly probably is.

You must have the 6-speed to use this kit.

johno504
26th January 2015, 07:02 PM
Many thanks , exactly info I was seeking.

8valvegrowl
27th January 2015, 08:38 PM
MapTun sells a clutch that they claim holds 450 N-m of torque for both the 5-speed and the 6-speed. It is a solid disk, so it is for the DMF. The price is about 350USD (not including shipping, etc).

Anyone have experience with this?

I'm torn. I really don't like the feel or rev characteristics of the DMF.

But my car is also a DD, and I don't want some rattly, noisy, racy sounding clutch setup, shame coz a lighter SMF and a mildly aggressive sprung clutch would be sweet.

My old Stage 3 '99 9-3 had the perfect setup. I machined 4 pounds off the flywheel and installed a Viggen clutch/PP combo. It was perfect for the street. Wish I could replicate something like that for my SportCombi.

Havok
28th January 2015, 03:09 PM
I'm in the same boat - need an inexpensive setup for my Stage 2 Vector, a daily driver. I went on the AC Delco parts lookup site and those numbers are not coming up.

Where did you purchase your parts? And are these just bolt on replacements?

These are the part#s I used when I did my car. It's holding 280-ish hp and 300-ish tq just fine, as it should given how close that is to factory GS output:

This kit should apply to every model year with a 6-speed manual and the 2nd generation ecotec block. 2014- uses the 3rd gen, which I can't confirm is the same but honestly probably is.

8valvegrowl
28th January 2015, 04:08 PM
I googled the part numbers and found the Buick parts on several GM parts sites.

This is good info. Thanks athauglas! I think preserving the DMF and going with a stronger OEM Clutch/PP is just the ticket.

Swededemon
28th January 2015, 04:54 PM
I'm in the same boat - need an inexpensive setup for my Stage 2 Vector, a daily driver. I went on the AC Delco parts lookup site and those numbers are not coming up.

Where did you purchase your parts? And are these just bolt on replacements?

When I searched "part xxxxxxxx" in google, I got them all to come up. Right about $500 dollars total on average. Not a bad option for our cars. ;)

Havok
11th March 2015, 08:35 PM
Getting ready to drop the hammer on this one. Just to confirm: these are the only three parts I will need, and it covers the flywheel, pressure plate, friction disk and release actuator? (Besides a clutch alignment tool?)

I don't suppose we have a removal\installation guide on here? (Was unable to find one with search)

'97 Saab SE Turbo
11th March 2015, 09:13 PM
You might want to add a slave cylinder, if that's still the politically correct name for what manufacturers to call those today... Ron

Swededemon
12th March 2015, 01:08 PM
You might want to add a slave cylinder, if that's still the politically correct name for what manufacturers to call those today... Ron

The correct term is freedom inhibited cylinder.

athauglas
12th March 2015, 05:25 PM
Getting ready to drop the hammer on this one. Just to confirm: these are the only three parts I will need, and it covers the flywheel, pressure plate, friction disk and release actuator? (Besides a clutch alignment tool?)

I don't suppose we have a removal\installation guide on here? (Was unable to find one with search)

You should definitely replace the rear main seal while you have access, because it will be a long time before you separate the transaxle and the engine again after doing the clutch, and the original seal might not last. Saab WIS will have the official procedure, but I personally don't have access to that. An experienced garage can have it done in a few hours.

Also note that the GS pressure plate is NOT self-adjusting like the saab OE part, which should make installation a little easier and also improve reliability somewhat.

Pillow
17th September 2015, 12:01 PM
Bump for some GM take off parts from Europe!

Good timing as the BCB Stage 2 makes 3rd slip like crazy from a dig. Great torque, just a bit more than the stock PP can handle.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131169486516?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I sent ZZP a question on US vs Europe part # interchangeability... I will let you all know when I know.

THANK YOU to athauglas for the much neglected 6-Speed performance info!

wschable
26th January 2016, 10:44 AM
Any luck on these pull offs? If so I am ordering one now.

Pillow
26th January 2016, 12:06 PM
Not yet. Fixed the oil leak and t-stat... Now the damn car wont start. Effing Saab electronics are overly complicated for their task. Plus it is under a pile of snow at the moment. :)

Soon I hope!

wschable
26th January 2016, 05:05 PM
I've got to do the clutch and wheel hubs on all four corners like yesterday! The winter here isn't doing either part any favors.

Gedankenexperiment
20th June 2016, 10:52 AM

I love this option, thank you athauglas. I wanted to see if you weighed the flywheel. 30mins of google search could not bring me the weight of that flywheel. It would be really nice if it was any lighter than the stock one.

That or I can see if someone made an aftermarket one for a Buick Regal.

Koko_Loko
11th August 2017, 10:15 AM
Also regarding the Buick Clutch package:

Flywheel: 24260639
Slave Cyl: 55565331
Disc/PP: 55581277

Is the flywheel the same type (dual mass) as the stock Saab? I'm highly considering it but I have no plans of tuning the car and I like how smooth it currently drives... Would like to keep that.

Thanks!

Koko_Loko
24th August 2017, 06:58 AM
Anyone with the part number for the matching Buick Regal slave cylinder?

About to order the clutch kit but having a hard time finding the slave cylinder for this Buick Regal..

Thanks in advance!

SpoolinAero88
18th December 2017, 05:34 PM
Hey guys, sorry to bring up an old thread, but I just did a stage 2 tune on my 2007 9-3 2.0T with a 6 speed and the clutch is not holding at anymore than half throttle. Its the original clutch with 130k on it so its time for a new one. I wrote down all the part numbers listed on the first page for the Regal clutch kit and went to see my buddy at the GM parts counter. ( I used to work there a few years ago ) He ran the part numbers and said they were all still good. However for the Regal GS 6 speed its showing 2 flywheel part numbers available. Both for the F40 6 speed. So I was wondering where this flywheel part number came from...the 24260639?? The other option I was given was 55574137. Same price and also available next day. So Im just trying to clarify. I also found the stretch bolts needed to install the clutch and the flywheel, that was no problem. Anyone have any input?

iamamused
18th December 2017, 06:16 PM
Can't really tell you the difference in part numbers, but I just got my regal clutch installed using the same part numbers last week at nelsons in Wallingford, ct. Figured I'd chime in, seeing that you are in CT.

Hey guys, sorry to bring up an old thread, but I just did a stage 2 tune on my 2007 9-3 2.0T with a 6 speed and the clutch is not holding at anymore than half throttle. Its the original clutch with 130k on it so its time for a new one. I wrote down all the part numbers listed on the first page for the Regal clutch kit and went to see my buddy at the GM parts counter. ( I used to work there a few years ago ) He ran the part numbers and said they were all still good. However for the Regal GS 6 speed its showing 2 flywheel part numbers available. Both for the F40 6 speed. So I was wondering where this flywheel part number came from...the 24260639?? The other option I was given was 55574137. Same price and also available next day. So Im just trying to clarify. I also found the stretch bolts needed to install the clutch and the flywheel, that was no problem. Anyone have any input?

SpoolinAero88
18th December 2017, 06:31 PM
By any chance did you have to also change the hydraulic line and the master cylinder as well?

iamamused
19th December 2017, 11:13 AM
By any chance did you have to also change the hydraulic line and the master cylinder as well?

I'm responding to this over on the Buick Parts feedback thread.