moog sway bar links [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: moog sway bar links

bryubpharm
12th November 2014, 10:07 PM
Had the original front sway bar links replaced on my 2006 9-3 aero with moog sway bar links and all I can say is it is the best $43 I have spent on the car. If the car would handle this much better I would have put these on when I bought the car 8 years ago! Handles the twistys with a lot less body roll.

Capriman86
16th November 2014, 01:33 PM
Unless you are lowered, I lost 1 set of Moogs already and I think this set is starting to clunk after a few months. I'm looking for alternatives next.

qwikredline
16th November 2014, 06:08 PM
Unless you are lowered, I lost 1 set of Moogs already and I think this set is starting to clunk after a few months. I'm looking for alternatives next.

I agree. Junkie. Powergridinc.com. Last set u will ever need to buy for the car u have

Capriman86
16th November 2014, 07:13 PM
I agree. Junkie. Powergridinc.com. Last set u will ever need to buy for the car u have

On my list....I don't have a problem with MOOG parts at all, mostly my first choice in a stock application, they don't don't fit the bill with the drop.

adefeatedman
16th November 2014, 08:56 PM

I just replaced one of mine after 60k miles (tool slipped and punctured the boot replacing the struts). Bought a brand new delco unit for $21. Unless you want to adjust the preload to fine tune your handling, that seems like a stout price to pay for endlinks.

Capriman86
16th November 2014, 09:19 PM
I just replaced one of mine after 60k miles (tool slipped and punctured the boot replacing the struts). Bought a brand new delco unit for $21. Unless you want to adjust the preload to fine tune your handling, that seems like a stout price to pay for endlinks.

Are you lowered or stock ride height?
I agree that is a lot to pay for endlinks if you are stock, but if not stock you will get tired of changing them out as I am, I am ready to bit the bullet and just buy them.

adefeatedman
18th November 2014, 12:41 PM
Are you lowered or stock ride height?
I agree that is a lot to pay for endlinks if you are stock, but if not stock you will get tired of changing them out as I am, I am ready to bit the bullet and just buy them.

I'm lowered, but only for a few months now. Never had an issue with a lowered car chewing through endlinks more often. How often do yours go bad?

qwikredline
18th November 2014, 01:16 PM
Smh. I notice more and more that folks will cheap out on stuff and also spend relatively big bux on things like coil overs, lowering springs, spoilers, hid headlights, stage xyz35577986 tune, etc and little to nothing in good brakes,suspension parts and regular maintenence.

Not referring to anyone in particular, just a General observation. The result is having to deal with.
Sludge
Blown motors
Crappy ride
Worn out suspension parts in very few miles

Never enough time or money to do it right. Always enough time to do it over. Although do you notice that some folks get frustrated and just bail on the car ?

qwikredline
18th November 2014, 01:25 PM
Ps. Let me add broken inter cooler. Radiator. Oil pan. Cradle. For slammed lowered cars. The one I had to fix last week the kid was so distressed. Thousand dollar repair but I did put regular struts etc back on for winter. Yes the end links were bad also but he had the Ksport coil overs, and the end link pickup on the coil over which of course is a threaded part was not locked in place so you might want to check that on your installation. . If the pickup for the end links on the coil over is not locked in position it will cause massive over angularity and the poor drop link doesn't have a chance.

"O" you say. " why was the Pickup not locked in place?"

Duh. You remove the lock rings so you can slam it more doncha know?

It's hopeless pretty much. Lol

adefeatedman
18th November 2014, 01:34 PM
Smh. I notice more and more that folks will cheap out on stuff and also spend relatively big bux on things like coil overs, lowering springs, spoilers, hid headlights, stage xyz35577986 tune, etc and little to nothing in good brakes,suspension parts and regular maintenence.

Not referring to anyone in particular, just a General observation. The result is having to deal with.
Sludge
Blown motors
Crappy ride
Worn out suspension parts in very few miles

Never enough time or money to do it right. Always enough time to do it over. Although do you notice that some folks get frustrated and just bail on the car ?

I am sure that wasn't specifically targeted at me, but the problem with forums also is that people try and convince you that you need race-grade parts, and you end up spending all your money and getting a car that rides like race car, when you just wanted upgraded suspension. It happened to me on my Camaro, and now I'm cognizant of what goes into my car. Until I have a need for an upgraded parts, I always stick with the quality OEM pieces, or proven aftermarket names.

And as for endlinks, unless they are wearing out rapidly, you will likely see no benefit to expensive ones. And what guarantee is there that an expensive one will outlast an OEM? And if a boot rips on an expensive endlink, it will fail just like an OEM.

Capriman86
18th November 2014, 08:42 PM
I'm lowered, but only for a few months now. Never had an issue with a lowered car chewing through endlinks more often. How often do yours go bad?

I swapped the OEM ones before the drop as they went bad, I then dropped the car and had to replace a set. I have been dropped since May? and now I have another set starting to clunk again, just starting. I was wondering if being lower now I would need an adjustable set as these might be too long now? I dont know........

qwikredline
18th November 2014, 09:24 PM
I am sure that wasn't specifically targeted at me, but the problem with forums also is that people try and convince you that you need race-grade parts, and you end up spending all your money and getting a car that rides like race car, when you just wanted upgraded suspension. It happened to me on my Camaro, and now I'm cognizant of what goes into my car. Until I have a need for an upgraded parts, I always stick with the quality OEM pieces, or proven aftermarket names.

And as for endlinks, unless they are wearing out rapidly, you will likely see no benefit to expensive ones. And what guarantee is there that an expensive one will outlast an OEM? And if a boot rips on an expensive endlink, it will fail just like an OEM.

There are lots of guarantees out there. I make a control arm bushing with a lifetime warranty. I have never ever in 14 years had to replace one with a defect. Replaced two that had bent control arms in a curb wreck . Not a fault with the cab but I wanted to look at it. In 14 years I have replaced one set of powergrid inc end links. In that case the customer over tightened the lock nut and broke the end link housing. I replaced it under warranty anyway as it was a good customer and he acknowledged that he was a doofus. Lol. So one replacement in my experience. I have sold a lot of them.

The stock stuff is so much junk. The aftermarket not better. I am not sure if you know how they make end links OEM , but the cliffs is this: A metal tube is welded to each end of a rod. A threaded ball end with bootie is fixtured into the end tube and plastic material is injected into the socket. Done So yes you are wrong. A proper spherical end link with all weather protection will outlast your car. My take

Jas86
19th November 2014, 09:59 AM
On my list....I don't have a problem with MOOG parts at all, mostly my first choice in a stock application, they don't don't fit the bill with the drop.

I'm not lowered, but I've been pretty happy with the Deezas I threw on mine a while back.

They did have a different size nut for their studs, which was weird, but they continue to work very well.

adefeatedman
20th November 2014, 12:50 PM
I swapped the OEM ones before the drop as they went bad, I then dropped the car and had to replace a set. I have been dropped since May? and now I have another set starting to clunk again, just starting. I was wondering if being lower now I would need an adjustable set as these might be too long now? I dont know........
Hmmm. I would check the strut mounts too to make sure its not that. I know my right strut mount has an ever so slight clunk to it, but not enough that you would hear it without focusing on it.

There are lots of guarantees out there. I make a control arm bushing with a lifetime warranty. I have never ever in 14 years had to replace one with a defect. Replaced two that had bent control arms in a curb wreck . Not a fault with the cab but I wanted to look at it. In 14 years I have replaced one set of powergrid inc end links. In that case the customer over tightened the lock nut and broke the end link housing. I replaced it under warranty anyway as it was a good customer and he acknowledged that he was a doofus. Lol. So one replacement in my experience. I have sold a lot of them.

The stock stuff is so much junk. The aftermarket not better. I am not sure if you know how they make end links OEM , but the cliffs is this: A metal tube is welded to each end of a rod. A threaded ball end with bootie is fixtured into the end tube and plastic material is injected into the socket. Done So yes you are wrong. A proper spherical end link with all weather protection will outlast your car. My take
I see what you are saying, but at what point is OEM not getting the job done? My Camaro has spherical end links on nearly every suspension component except the sway bar end links, ironically. I considered swapping out the pogo stick end links for high end adjustable spherical end links, but I don't see what problem I am solving. The OEM style (but with poly bushings) get the job done and I replace them for $20 a set every couple years. No problems. Now my spherical end links on the other hand, no matter what I do, end up clunking. They are designed for race applications. Most saabs on here are daily driven. If my OEM end links are toast before I get a year of lowered driving out of them (that's over 20k miles for me), I'll try other avenues. But for now, I'm lowered, I commute to NYC a couple times a month, and I have over 60k miles on a stocker, the other just being replaced after, like I said, I accidentally cut the boot (which I drove for a few months and still no clunking).

Colin Chapman used to say that if you put adjustable parts on a car, people will adjust it wrong and make it worse. Why add an extra variable into the equation when sorting out the car's ride?

Capriman86
20th November 2014, 01:11 PM
Hmmm. I would check the strut mounts too to make sure its not that. I know my right strut mount has an ever so slight clunk to it, but not enough that you would hear it without focusing on it.

Everything is new when I did the drop and the noise went away with new links but now its back, I am not saying it couldn't be something else but I really think its them, same symptoms.

Nijee
3rd December 2014, 02:43 PM

Here is the link, just ordered a set;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/03-09-Saab-9-3-Adjustable-Front-Sway-Bar-Links-/120220566224?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item1bfdb442d0

qwikredline
3rd December 2014, 08:08 PM
Sub'd for your feedback !!

swedespeed7
4th December 2014, 12:01 AM
Meyle HD are also superb links.

Nijee
4th December 2014, 03:56 AM
Sub'd for your feedback !!

Part of a suspension project on my car which includes Hyperco springs but definitely a 2015 activity as home renos rule at present :(

qwikredline
4th December 2014, 07:48 AM
Lol. House Window replacement and saab exhaust here.

qwikredline
4th December 2014, 03:09 PM
Meile HD are also superb links.

I had no success with Meyle. Whatever works for you
The part number called out for the 2007 9-5 rear did not fit from Meyle

qwikredline
4th December 2014, 03:29 PM
http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab140/qwikredline/SUSPENSION/phonedownloadsMay222014965_zps7ece8197.jpg (http://s857.photobucket.com/user/qwikredline/media/SUSPENSION/phonedownloadsMay222014965_zps7ece8197.jpg.html)
^^powergrid

http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab140/qwikredline/SUSPENSION/phonedownloadsMay222014964_zpsacb3381f.jpg (http://s857.photobucket.com/user/qwikredline/media/SUSPENSION/phonedownloadsMay222014964_zpsacb3381f.jpg.html)

Moog^^

http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab140/qwikredline/SUSPENSION/SAABendlinks001_zps12985d74.jpg (http://s857.photobucket.com/user/qwikredline/media/SUSPENSION/SAABendlinks001_zps12985d74.jpg.html)

Meyle^^^

http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab140/qwikredline/beckarnleyrearbardroplink_zps48081ec2.jpg (http://s857.photobucket.com/user/qwikredline/media/beckarnleyrearbardroplink_zps48081ec2.jpg.html)
rear 9-5 ^^^^Beck Arnley supplied meyl on picture right, OEM on picture left

swedespeed7
4th December 2014, 03:51 PM
MEYLE/Suspension Stabilizer Bar Link - 616 060 0004/HD

adefeatedman
4th December 2014, 05:40 PM
Part of a suspension project on my car which includes Hyperco springs but definitely a 2015 activity as home renos rule at present :(

You ever work out the issue with the back springs?

96mn12
7th December 2014, 12:32 AM
Will these fit 07+?

Saab 9-3 03-06 Front Part# 12M-120

qwikredline
7th December 2014, 12:49 PM
Will these fit 07+?

Saab 9-3 03-06 Front Part# 12M-120

Probably check the length of the end link stock if it's nine inches like my 9-5 the use the cobalt one. Not the one listed. IF the end link is 12 inches long then see if the shorter end link will work. You need to check sway bar travel if u use a shorter end link it's better but at full bump you need to make sure the sway bar where it curves out from the cradle is not hitting the control arm or the cradle through travel particularly in bump. The saab /cobalt/ion end links all have the same joints only the length of the rod is different. I update ions to the shorter end link but it requires control arm and sway bar changes to do that properly. No clue on your car but I amguessing the nine inch one would work best

qwikredline
7th December 2014, 12:50 PM
http://www.anzeengineering.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/PowerGrid-Sway-Bar-Link-Application-Guide-Retail-Pricing-2012-ANZE.pdf