K&N Drop in-Anyone recommend? [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: K&N Drop in-Anyone recommend?

MeLvYnRaY
5th November 2014, 07:12 AM
Hey all! Im new here, only had my 9-3T for about a week.

I was looking into Intakes and all,i've noticed most are custom made, and there aren't many on the market.

So i was looking into the K&N drop in. I was just looking to get more air flow, maybe more of a nice engine noise, bypass valve action.

has anyone used just the drop in and suggest it? If not what would you suggest.

TunnanXWD
5th November 2014, 08:34 AM
Speaking with a few of the folks who do tunes you won't see any horsepower gain from a filter, the way they explained it was that if you run a car on a dyno 100 times and a few of those times it shows a 1.2 (or so), gain you can claim more power. Perhaps at the top end where you have all of the mods and the engine can really use additional flow it will actually do something.

My mech absolutely refuses to install one, even the K&N since they have been known to cause problems with the air monitoring systems since they substitute a filter matrix with an oil.

IMHO, your best bet would be to contact a tuner and see where they will be showing up and have them do a download; by meeting him I saved about half the cost (around $300), and am really happy; you will notice the 30/40 gain of a tune. Get the tune and then shoot for perhaps the cold air kit.

Vtuner is located in Vermont but he used to make trips to Florida so call him and a few others.

Diggs
5th November 2014, 09:17 AM
Drop in filters are fine. Been running an oiled JR filter for 10 years now. I wouldn't recommend this one though as it sorta collapses in the box.

http://www.partsforsaabs.com/product_info.php?cPath=28_178_293&products_id=1186

MeLvYnRaY
5th November 2014, 01:06 PM
Do you get a noticeable difference in sound?

Nijee
5th November 2014, 01:10 PM

Yes, that is about the only difference. More noticeable on the I4 than the V6.

nkrptd
5th November 2014, 04:33 PM

Huge sound difference, its awesome! But absolutely no performance change as the other guys have stated.

Take a look in the how to section. There are a few write ups on doing your own intake. Its pretty straight foward and easy, and satisfying hearing the change you made yourself.

Then if you want more power, get the tune. Many will attest that is your best bet ;ol;

Diggs
5th November 2014, 05:17 PM

Yes. For more sound pull out the snorkel that goes from the airbox to the front bumper. For max sound do a DIY intake as suggested above.

TunnanXWD
5th November 2014, 05:45 PM
Did I get lost in the Honda forum? :o

The devil made me do that. :cheesy:

Pillow
5th November 2014, 08:29 PM
I put in a K&N panel filter a couple weeks ago.

No sound diff IMO, but I drive easy.

Maybe .5-1 MPG diff in MPG.

I have always swapped out for K&N style filters because they are reusable and last the life of the vehicle, which is the real bonus IMO.

Plus BCB says it is needed for a Stage2. :)

qwikredline
5th November 2014, 08:57 PM
wait a couple of weeks and put the OEM filter back in. Your MPG will improve.

Swededemon
6th November 2014, 01:49 PM
A filter alone will not give you much of a "sound" improvement nor will you see any tangible gain in power, mpg, ect. We are talking 1-2CFM at max here.

When looking at any car you have to plan modifications accordingly. If you are looking to build a car like 99.9% of people on this board, you will have a "staged" Saab that still runs some form of the TD04 turbo. If this is the case, you will not have a bottleneck on the intake side so there is no need to spend 200-300 dollars for a fancy BSR or K&N unit.

Side note, any metal intake will be outperformed by an identically constructed plastic intake. Metal absorbs heat, heat is bad, period.

Take the 45 dollars and create your own custom CAI and be done with it. It will sound great and give you a false sense of modifying your car while you save up for a modification that will actually cause a real difference in driveability, e.g. struts, tires, tune, springs.

Chris

kilo
7th November 2014, 12:27 AM
My Car is now 8 years old and I thought of doing a few mods starting with changing the filter to a KN available here. But now I see is a waste of money.
To get a tuner in this country is unlikely:roll:. Anyone know of someone in Mauritius who tunes Id love to know.;ol;

Diggs
7th November 2014, 07:54 AM
My Car is now 8 years old and I thought of doing a few mods starting with changing the filter to a KN available here. But now I see is a waste of money.
To get a tuner in this country is unlikely:roll:. Anyone know of someone in Mauritius who tunes Id love to know.;ol;

Doubtful. Why not get a BSR handheld?

TunnanXWD
7th November 2014, 10:31 AM
Vtuner also sells a hand held that is just plug in and go.

Deli-Llama
8th November 2014, 01:25 AM
Vtuner also sells a hand held that is just plug in and go.

I ordered the VTuner hand held flasher online and had it shipped to Australia. Downloaded the stock tune and emailed it to VTuner. Had the stage 0 tune for my car the next day and flashed the ECU.

Zero down time and I couldn't be happier.

billm0066
8th November 2014, 05:34 PM
A filter alone will not give you much of a "sound" improvement nor will you see any tangible gain in power, mpg, ect. We are talking 1-2CFM at max here.

When looking at any car you have to plan modifications accordingly. If you are looking to build a car like 99.9% of people on this board, you will have a "staged" Saab that still runs some form of the TD04 turbo. If this is the case, you will not have a bottleneck on the intake side so there is no need to spend 200-300 dollars for a fancy BSR or K&N unit.

Side note, any metal intake will be outperformed by an identically constructed plastic intake. Metal absorbs heat, heat is bad, period.

Take the 45 dollars and create your own custom CAI and be done with it. It will sound great and give you a false sense of modifying your car while you save up for a modification that will actually cause a real difference in driveability, e.g. struts, tires, tune, springs.

Chris

I agree on no power improvement, but there is a big sound improvement. I have one on both of my Saabs and the turbo and bypass valve are much more audible. I have used k&n filters on cars for 10+ years and never had an issue. Most of them having a MAF too.

kilo
10th November 2014, 12:37 AM
Doubtful. Why not get a BSR handheld?

Good idea, any idea where this is sold.... thanx;ol;

Diggs
10th November 2014, 09:27 AM
Good idea, any idea where this is sold.... thanx;ol;

You can buy it directly from BSR.

http://en.bsr.se/tuning-kits

If VTuner will ship to Mauritius I would go that route instead. Probably cheaper.

Deli-Llama
10th November 2014, 08:58 PM
You can buy it directly from BSR.

http://en.bsr.se/tuning-kits

If VTuner will ship to Mauritius I would go that route instead. Probably cheaper.

Definitely cheaper based on my experience and product support was excellent.

TunnanXWD
10th November 2014, 09:40 PM
Holy Crap Batman! I don't know which car you have since you didn't list a year or the engine horsepower so I did a comparison of the BSR prices and performance versus what I have; that is a 280 horse V-6 which has had the Vtuner base tune and is rated at 320 horses.

It looks like the BSR puts out about the same at stage 3 but is over 3,000 pounds (UK), and that is expensive. I only paid a few hundred for my direct tune that he did so I don't have the device, which I don't feel a need for. The BSR that only goes to 300 horses is closer to Vtuner but a bit more expensive.