$1000 dollar best suspension [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: $1000 dollar best suspension

berkeleydojah
20th October 2014, 08:38 PM
For that max price I would spend. I want the most reliable, sporty, shock/spring setup this value can get me. Any recommendations?

berkeleydojah
22nd October 2014, 04:12 AM
bump lol

emjohn4
22nd October 2014, 08:21 AM
Koni's + all replacement parts (springs / mounts / end links / etc).

berkeleydojah
22nd October 2014, 03:10 PM
i have the koni FSD's but i honestly want to lower my car. people say not to use fsd with lowered springs. some say its ok. im just neutral about it.

z0fo
22nd October 2014, 06:43 PM
koni's yellow with vogtland springs! best performance for the money! got them on my baby and I could cut lanes like butter!
koni yellow sport/strut set all 4 will run you for $698 on ebay and the vogtland springs $184, total of $882 and you still have some money to play with like HID light kit!

20Tsaabsteve
26th October 2014, 06:05 PM
For that max price I would spend. I want the most reliable, sporty, shock/spring setup this value can get me. Any recommendations?

Although not adjustable, I would recommend bilstein b8's for handling. As far as springs go, I can't really recommend one as all of the aftermarket springs don't have spring rates, so I would say get aero springs.

berkeleydojah
26th October 2014, 09:23 PM
i have aero springs. i added these powergrid adjustable sway links the other day. wow. forget those crap meyle HD "uprated" links. those died on me after the first month. highly recommend these.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120220566224?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

qwikredline
26th October 2014, 09:30 PM
I'm with 2.0 steve. Bilstein B 8. Glad u like the power grids lol

berkeleydojah
27th October 2014, 01:11 PM
Here's the proof. Can anyone give me insight? Greatly appreciated. People claim the FSD's shouldn't be dropped. But some say you can to an extent

Diggs
27th October 2014, 04:17 PM
Because plenty who dropped theirs on FSD's ran into issues.
Also, a Koni rep came through here years ago and said not to.

See post #37 and read on:

https://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254765

berkeleydojah
28th October 2014, 12:13 AM
thank you. yeah i remember reading that post actually. that combo is STILL on tirerack lmao. honestly these new sway links from powergrid changed the game.

Diggs
28th October 2014, 10:16 AM
i have aero springs. i added these powergrid adjustable sway links the other day. wow. forget those crap meyle HD "uprated" links. those died on me after the first month. highly recommend these.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120220566224?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

That's a chunk of money right there....

TunnanXWD
29th October 2014, 02:43 PM
Have you sorted out what kind of performance you want. I live in moderately hilly country and a turn to the left or right from the state road will take me down narrow twisty country lanes, narrow and some stretches aren't paved. If on the other hand you are doing cruising on well maintained roads your car should be set up very different than I would set my car up. You just can't blindly ask "what's the best".

berkeleydojah
29th October 2014, 11:48 PM
I live in hilly and windy roads. They are not maintained at all. Honestly I get poppy sound when I hit a bad bump. I replaced lower control arm bushing with polyethylene. I think that's how it is, but I want comfort, and a lot less body roll

TunnanXWD
30th October 2014, 07:06 AM
You say you want to lower your car and live in a hilly, bumpy and twisty area? Doesn't sound like a good place to lower a car but a good way to shed body parts and get exercise on a long walk home.

emjohn4
30th October 2014, 07:48 AM
I live in hilly and windy roads. They are not maintained at all. Honestly I get poppy sound when I hit a bad bump. I replaced lower control arm bushing with polyethylene. I think that's how it is, but I want comfort, and a lot less body roll

Buy a truck.

You're not going to get comfort on a lowered car (or even a stiffly damped one at stock height) on bumpy roads.

Hell, even with my freshly revamped stock suspension on my Linear; the car can feel over-damped over certain roads and bumps; and it certainly does not ride in a manner I would call overly comfortable. Sporty...yes. Comfortable? Not really over bumpy roads.

qwikredline
30th October 2014, 12:21 PM
That's a chunk of money right there....

Chip Minich makes these in Michigan, a retired GM engineer. 150 plus shipping is not a lot of money for an outstanding quality spherical all weather part that will outlast the car and is adjustable to boot? That Meyle crap lasts less than Six months. The OP found that. So did I.

As for the OP and slammed cars and handling, you folks are right , u need ride travel to handle. But aero springs... I wonder do you all consider this slammed ?

20Tsaabsteve
30th October 2014, 11:25 PM
Wish there was demand to develop springs for this platform, I would take the aero springs and send them to hyperco! Get a nice progressive spring built for ride quality/some track use. Minor drop. Those and b8's.... Now that would be great! Requesting quote I guess.

berkeleydojah
31st October 2014, 03:38 AM
Buy a truck.

You're not going to get comfort on a lowered car (or even a stiffly damped one at stock height) on bumpy roads.

Hell, even with my freshly revamped stock suspension on my Linear; the car can feel over-damped over certain roads and bumps; and it certainly does not ride in a manner I would call overly comfortable. Sporty...yes. Comfortable? Not really over bumpy roads.

ok. but my car isnt lowered. and its not comfortable at all. whatsoever. i use these FSD's and its so brutal. ughhh

qwikredline
31st October 2014, 10:09 AM
Wish there was demand to develop springs for this platform, I would take the aero springs and send them to hyperco! Get a nice progressive spring built for ride quality/some track use. Minor drop. Those and b8's.... Now that would be great! Requesting quote I guess.

I agree with you. Hyperco make springs for me, they are very good people to deal with and super responsive to a joint project. We have talked many times about the SAAB deal as they do get calls.

The key is to ante up 10,000 dollars to source, test develop and produce a run of rising rate high grade silicone steel wire springs. It worked for me working with Hyperco, for the GM Delta platform as I had some experience with it and so on.

For Saab I would love to do it, but the market is small and the buyers very price sensitive and appear to know what they know. That means its hard to gauge true interest before making a move. Easy to get burned. I cant spend 10k just to put decent springs on my 9-5. I would go buy a Passat or Audi wagon first. ( ugh)

for example: if a new set of SAAb springs trim to the aero or slightly below aero trim height, it wont be enough for many folks. They will point to aftermarket springs and how they "settle" "nice and low". Springs that settle lose rate, are junk and break. Include Eibach in that category, they have softer rates than stock springs, thats how they get low cheaply.

With a new rising rate high quality spring, handling balance would reduce the understeer the car has built in, but not too much. But the ride balance would be hard to get perfect the first run. That is to say without development ride and handling testing, on track and on street, and VHF rig testing and that means doing a run of springs and spending a lot of money.

If the spring needs changes you are stuck with a bunch of springs that dont work well. One set at a time is not really possible at Hyperco or any spring manufacturer.

So very difficult to take the plunge. Oh and one more thing. H&R for example sell springs for saab in eBay for 185 dollars shipped. Like right! Those are not rising rate decent springs but whatever. Our springs from Hyperco run 360 shipped. They sell very well because folks have discovered goodness is worth it. But the majority, especially on here, would look at 185/360 and say " thats a rip off how can you charge that much for springs?"

so. Takes time and money.

qwikredline
31st October 2014, 10:14 AM
O and steve if you have a set of used aero springs for a 9-3 I could compare them to 9-5. but I would also have to buy new stock aero springs to see what they rate at. So we can get hard data. Then look at eibach, H&R etc to see what they test to; thats about $1500-2000 in springs to check for rate. And good luck for me selling them after we have tested them. market aint that big...

I do think that Bilstein B6 or B8 would be a great shock to use and the Koni would be sad in comparison for damping performance. Monotube Bilsteins are a superior product.

hcollins88
4th November 2014, 09:52 PM
got koni yellows on my 2006 aero...i like them

geczy
10th November 2014, 09:32 AM
Koni doesn't make a set for AWD vehicles :(

Diggs
10th November 2014, 09:56 AM
Koni doesn't make a set for AWD vehicles :(

Nope. Gotta go Maptun.

veritas137
11th November 2014, 01:58 AM
Anyone have any experience with this setup?

http://www.partsforsaabs.com/product_info.php?cPath=2_189_206&products_id=4388

I like the 20mm drop but finding the Hirsch springs I want is a bit difficult over here.

Diggs
11th November 2014, 08:59 AM
Anyone have any experience with this setup?

http://www.partsforsaabs.com/product_info.php?cPath=2_189_206&products_id=4388

I like the 20mm drop but finding the Hirsch springs I want is a bit difficult over here.

I've heard the B8 is pretty stiff compared to Koni Yellow. I'm sure the springs are fine.

swedespeed7
11th November 2014, 12:38 PM
I've heard the B8 is pretty stiff compared to Koni Yellow. I'm sure the springs are fine.

Yes, Bilsteins will make your teeth fall out!

sds
20th November 2014, 10:38 AM
My understanding is that the bilsteins are monotube high pressure while the koni's are twin tube low pressure--from my experience monotubes tend to have firmer low speed compression damping...so they would be a bit harsher around town.

qwikredline
20th November 2014, 10:39 AM
Just change to a taller sidewall tire

20Tsaabsteve
3rd December 2014, 03:52 PM
The thread is best suspension, not which is softer. It's going to be a preference debate.

Qwik - thanks for the information. Too bad your yyz's wouldn't fit the bilsteins. Plus who knows how the vehicle would behave if they did fit. One nice thing is whatever spring is developed for the 9-3 could be used on the g6/Malibu/aura. Still not enough demand though.

qwikredline
3rd December 2014, 08:05 PM
I keep dancing around deciding what to do next. Your analysis is correct I am afraid. Right now, amazingly the Infiniti and Audi sedans the lower end ones appear to be popular used cars for the "in " crowd, but they want it slammed to the ground. Never mind the crappy ride horrible handling and huge risk with broken oil pans dragging exhaust and worn out sub frames.

Rising rate YYZ springs on bilstein would be a strong performer if the 9-3 and 9-5 springs could interchange I could be persuaded....maybe. Lol. Good luck with your quest

Cafasco
7th January 2015, 12:54 AM
Wow FSDs too stiff? Hum. To repeat my story:

Well I got FSDs and installed them with my stock (non-sport suspension) standard springs. They were way better than the OEM dampeners, but still a bit more body roll than I like.

Contact Koni rep, "Yep FSDs okay with lowering springs" he says. So I get H&R springs. Talk about a crappy bouncy ride...TERRIBLE! The H&Rs were hyperactive for the FSDs (hence excessive bounce - like a uber lowered ricer) so I spring for the Koni yellows. WOW! Car handled like a cat on carpet! But I couldn't take the brutal stiff commute to work everyday on the crappy Ada County roads not to mention scraping the nose of my car several times a day.

So in my quest for the prefect suspension, I decided to try some OEM SPORT SUSPENSION springs and the FSDs...last straw if you will. I finally found some after much research and many phone calls. OEM sport suspension springs & my FSDs...perfection! Handles nearly as good as yellow/Eibach set up, but not nearly as harsh and I have plenty of clearance. Its perfect combo for me. I do feel the road more with these springs but they are strangely not as harsh riding as the standard springs.

In my opinion, if you think the FSDs and OEM standard springs (assuming that is what you have) is too harsh, I don't think you will like the yellow/vogland, H&R, Eibach spring set up. You may or may not like the FSDs and OEM Sport springs either. So what to do? Ah...coilovers! But your gonna need more cash!:o

Gah3535
10th January 2015, 12:38 AM
I wonder if the aero or lowering springs off of the v6 models will fit on to the 2.0T. Wouldn't they have stiffer spring rates? Hell I could use a car that is around stock height with stiffer springs.

berkeleydojah
11th January 2015, 02:41 PM
They will fit, those are the sport or aero springs same thing. Didn't notice a difference because that's my setup right now lol

dsanders16
11th January 2015, 05:36 PM
I replaced everything on my suspension and used Koni Yellows + Vogtlands and it came out to around $1000 after getting all the new mounts, bellows, rear spring pads, etc.

Honestly, the Koni's are great, but progressive rate springs like Vogtland and the others with the dead coils are garbage. They rattle like crazy, and I swear the springs are causing resonance vibration during acceleration. The rattle can be solved easily enough with a coil wrap using polyethylene tubing, but still.

I'm actually trying to find a used set of Aero springs and put them back on in the spring.