Stage 2 [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Stage 2

ninjaff21
29th September 2014, 10:37 PM
Im going to do the BCB stage 2 on my saab 9-3 linear and i was wondering the best air filter for this. also would like to hear some insight on if its worth the money i just beat a mercedes 280SL in a 4 mile race. 90k original miles 1971 amazing car it kept up and at the very end i finally pulled ahead for the win.

SaabKen
29th September 2014, 10:49 PM
Im going to do the BCB stage 2 on my saab 9-3 linear and i was wondering the best air filter for this. also would like to hear some insight on if its worth the money i just beat a mercedes 280SL in a 4 mile race. 90k original miles 1971 amazing car it kept up and at the very end i finally pulled ahead for the win.
I've got BCB Stg 2, and simply replaced the stock paper filter with a K&N drop-in. IF you can do without driving your car for up to a week (by sending them your ECU) you save a couple of hundred bucks. I bought the handtuner as well so my bill was just north of $500. But WELL worth it ..... 210 -> 260HP, 225 lb-ft -> 280 lb-ft that's pretty healthy bump for the price. ;ol;

ninjaff21
29th September 2014, 11:28 PM
Not sure if i can go that long ill have to wait till november probably. but now ill finally be able to beat my friends annoying 2012 maxima he talks up so much

Pace
30th September 2014, 09:28 AM
You'll most likely need more than the "stage 2" tune to beat a '12 Maxima. They're rated for almost 300hp and don't have a significant weight difference over our Saabs.

Swededemon
30th September 2014, 07:44 PM

4 mile? How were either of you not sitting at your speed limiter at mile two?

You can fab a custom CAI for around 45 dollars with parts from Autozone(many have done that here, there is a write up). I would shy away from oiled filters as the oil has been known to foul sensors and cause misfires. Mustang drivers and Camaro drivers hate them(I've had both).

You still won't touch a Maxima in any race unfortunately. You have the worst Saab for it. He will take your lunch money and possibly steal your sneakers. They are a quick car and quite a bit faster than you. Stock to stock they have a 100+hp advantage.

ninjaff21
1st October 2014, 04:56 PM
Oh no i meant it in a 4 mile track not a drag.

Swededemon
1st October 2014, 06:34 PM
Unless you are the far superior driver, you will be demolished. It traps nearly 10mph higher in a 1/4 mile which means it will be bus lengths in front of you on the straights and unless they get out to push it around the corners, you likely will not catch up. With a tune, you will be within car lengths but it still will 100% pull on you.

The two cars you raced were old cars with very low hp figures in today's world.

ninjaff21
1st October 2014, 06:38 PM
The person i race i kept up with rather well cause my "track" has very few straights and he doesn't like corners at all i always win in them and i have a good defense he just gets me on the final straight to the finish line. with a tune can ibeat him faster in the corners and play a harder defense on the straight could i possibly win?

Swededemon
1st October 2014, 06:48 PM
You are asking an arbitrary question. If you feel your track gives you a driving edge, then sure, you might win. It is so speculative though.

Car for car, it is faster and given equal drivers it will smash you in every type of race, except whose car depreciates quicker.

There is no way for the internet to know if a tune will account for the driving advantage of two people who are speculative on an unnamed race track.

Stage 2 will put you at around 225hp/250lbft. In my opinion not enough.

Deli-Llama
2nd October 2014, 05:26 PM
The "best" air filter is the OEM paper filter in the OEM air box. Even at "stage 2", the Garrett turbo will not max out the OEM air intake. You are wasting your money for no gains on anything else!

ninjaff21
2nd October 2014, 05:44 PM
Ok so i really don't need to change anything to stage 2. only stage 3 requires any upgrades

Deli-Llama
2nd October 2014, 08:08 PM
I would think so. My 2.0t has the smaller (compared to the 2.0T) TD04 turbo but Aero injectors. I can also fill the tank with E85 and the peak power is around 230HP but the OEM air intake still isn't maxed out. I'd concentrate on the exhaust before the intake.

ninjaff21
2nd October 2014, 10:07 PM
I would think so. My 2.0t has the smaller (compared to the 2.0T) TD04 turbo but Aero injectors. I can also fill the tank with E85 and the peak power is around 230HP but the OEM air intake still isn't maxed out. I'd concentrate on the exhaust before the intake.

Is the aero injectors a mod or did it come stock? if its a mod what does it take? and what stage are you at to run e85

Diggs
2nd October 2014, 11:39 PM
Is the aero injectors a mod or did it come stock? if its a mod what does it take? and what stage are you at to run e85

He is in Australia. You have the blue injectors. You really need something even bigger than the 2.0T green injectors to run E85. 600cc Deka will work. Might as well get a bigger turbo and then on and on and on.

Deli-Llama
3rd October 2014, 12:31 AM

No hardware mods, came like that from the factory (BioPower). ECU has the stage 0 upgrade from VTuner. The BioPower injectors are 350 cc/min and are fine on E85 with the stock turbo and 1 bar boost.

Deli-Llama
3rd October 2014, 06:23 PM
Oh and if you want to read up on what hardware is needed to convert a 2.0t to flex fuel, this is a great thread:

https://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3690146

Deli-Llama
3rd October 2014, 06:32 PM
To summarise my last couple of posts:

If you stick with the OEM Garrett turbo, you'll hit a limit of around 230 HP - regardless of whether or not you use bigger injectors, E85 or fit a free flowing exhaust. The air intake is not the peak power bottleneck - the turbo just can't produce the required air flow.

ninjaff21
4th October 2014, 08:47 AM
So bigger turbo= bigger chance of winning races

Deli-Llama
4th October 2014, 07:22 PM
Yep, pretty much sums it up. You'll have to upgrade other hardware/software when you upgrade the turbo but I think you already understand that.