Is a saab 9-3 linear really as slow as the numbers I am seeing from automatics? [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Is a saab 9-3 linear really as slow as the numbers I am seeing from automatics?

BrendanG
15th September 2014, 08:51 PM
I know it is 175 HP but still I would think it would be in the 7s. I am in the market for a Saab and will be tuning it to stage 1 most likely but I was wondering if I should drop the extra money and save for an Aero model that I would tune to stage 1 or is the stage 1 linear reasonably quick?

SovangW
15th September 2014, 09:05 PM
I know it is 175 HP but still I would think it would be in the 7s. I am in the market for a Saab and will be tuning it to stage 1 most likely but I was wondering if I should drop the extra money and save for an Aero model that I would tune to stage 1 or is the stage 1 linear reasonably quick?

Aero, I bought a Linear when I knew nothing about SAAB. Ever since I got on this forum I began to wish I took the time to find an Aero, not only an Aero but an 06'. I ended up swapping turbos and injectors, have cams that I am waiting to install. All that could have been avoided had I just got the Aero, I would then only be worrying about appearance rather than performance and appearance.

Diggs
15th September 2014, 09:19 PM
Get an Aero or Arc.

BrendanG
16th September 2014, 10:11 AM
Thanks for clearing it up an Arc or Aero model is what I will be looking around for.

BrendanG
16th September 2014, 10:12 AM
Get an Aero or Arc.
What is the difference between the Arc and Aero?

Swededemon
16th September 2014, 11:28 AM
Luxury models included upgraded radio, climate control, larger sway bars, nicer wheels 17", alluminum interior trim(some models) and supposedly nicer seats.

2003: Linear - 175hp base model, notated by 2.0t badge

2003: ARC - 210hp sport model, notated by 2.0T badge

2003: Vector - 210hp Luxury model, notated by 2.0T badge

2004+: Linear/93 - 175hp base model, notated by 2.0t badge

2004-2005: Aero - 210hp luxury model, notated by Aero badge

2006-2009: Aero - 250hp V6 turbo, notated by Aero badge and dual exhaust

2010+: Aero - 210hp Luxury model, notated by Aero badge

Swededemon
16th September 2014, 11:49 AM
Please note ALL Saabs are slow off the line. With an open differential, front wheel drive setup the car has all the makings of being an extremely poor performer for 0-60 runs and or stop light races.

The second factor is that the B207 engine is limited to around 300hp before upgraded pistons will be required(uncertainty here) but the F35/F40 transmissions cannot take the torque created at these horsepower levels.

So a 3,100+lb car with a small displacement engine, with a small turbo and one wheel drive is a recipe for a commuter car and nothing more.

Now you can cryo your transmission gears, install a limited slip differential, get a set of forged pistons and look at a custom Holset turbo setup and be knocking on the door of some of the fastest street cars but if you search around this board, it has happened VERY VERY few times.

The reason for this is likely due to the predecessor being much more robust and cheaper not only in ownership but modification as well.

The Saab 93 2003+ is a good looking car that can be peppy on the highway when modified but unless you are ready to walk up hills both ways in the snow, you will never have a fast car.

BrendanG
16th September 2014, 06:05 PM
Thank you for clearing it up. I do not really care about 0-60 because I like the rush of putting it down while already moving. I just thought that the 0-60 was a good number to go off of. I am glad to hear that they are faster from a roll which is exactly what I want in a car. Thank you very much for clearing it all up for me!!

Venom55
16th September 2014, 07:26 PM
Thank you for clearing it up. I do not really care about 0-60 because I like the rush of putting it down while already moving. I just thought that the 0-60 was a good number to go off of. I am glad to hear that they are faster from a roll which is exactly what I want in a car. Thank you very much for clearing it all up for me!!

2.0T (big T) are already slow in stock form , cant imagine what a linear small t auto can be.

If you do get a linear t , get it tune youll be more than happy

Aplatitsin
16th September 2014, 07:39 PM

Ill sell you my 05 Aero Stage 3

berkeleydojah
21st September 2014, 06:54 AM
Would love to see someone do a xwd conversion. We pretty much have the parts for em. (I think)

Pace
21st September 2014, 11:45 PM
The second factor is that the B207 engine is limited to around 300hp before upgraded pistons will be required(uncertainty here) but the F35/F40 transmissions cannot take the torque created at these horsepower levels.

Do you have any examples or info to back this up? This is the first I've heard of the F35/F40 transmissions' inability to handle those torque levels. AFAIK, there are both B207x and V6 guys who are putting down well over 300 lb/ft on stock manual transmissions (excluding clutch or DMF in some cases).

Most of the emphasis with tunes and limiting torque tends to revolve around the automatic transmission. Yet even some of those are holding surprising amounts of torque.

v8e39i
23rd September 2014, 01:59 AM
Take it from me, I have an 05 Linear and even with a few bolt on's and a stage 2 BCB tune, I'm only about where this car should have been from the factory. I have a manual and that helps a lot but dang this car is slowwww. I'm just going to go 9-5 aero soon because that B235R is a much more robust foundation for a build.

9-3gotboostAERO
23rd September 2014, 09:25 AM
Do you have any examples or info to back this up? This is the first I've heard of the F35/F40 transmissions' inability to handle those torque levels. AFAIK, there are both B207x and V6 guys who are putting down well over 300 lb/ft on stock manual transmissions (excluding clutch or DMF in some cases).

Most of the emphasis with tunes and limiting torque tends to revolve around the automatic transmission. Yet even some of those are holding surprising amounts of torque.

Correct, some are holding 400ft/lbs with no issues except for the clutch

Take it from me, I have an 05 Linear and even with a few bolt on's and a stage 2 BCB tune, I'm only about where this car should have been from the factory. I have a manual and that helps a lot but dang this car is slowwww. I'm just going to go 9-5 aero soon because that B235R is a much more robust foundation for a build.

If your looking for a good platform for power, you should find a V6 9-3 aero... better chassis, better power.

Swededemon
23rd September 2014, 09:45 AM

My apologies for not seeing this sooner. The F40 failures are far less common and usually attributed to clutch setups and or shift cables tangling causing grinding, see the Fiero boards for this but the F35's have sheared main shafts and gears on hundreds of cars. Cobalt SS is a good starting platform.

63 Nova SS
8th October 2014, 11:34 AM
I can comment on the cobalt ss's cause i have 1. F35 transmissions in stock form are very good, as long as you dont have lots of torque hitting at once ( below 3,000 on a tuned 2.0). With as low a horsepower/torque the saab version puts out, there really shouldnt be any concerns, unless you went big turbo. Most lnf cobalts running around now, are on aftermarket tunes, and with the stock turbo, most are putting around 310hp/380ft lbs of torque to the ground, and doing fine. The f40 is what alot of the big turbo swapped cars are running, and other than putting an lsd differential in them, they are living with 430-500 hp in otherwise stock form.
F35's, when they fail, always do it in 3rd gear due to not having any shaft support, in the middle of the trans. Thats what i know about them on the cobalts.
Going with a 4.05 or 4.55 gearset in the trans, verses something like a 3.55-3.82, and cryoing the trans, can make them hold 400-430 hp at the wheels. At least in the cobalts. ( with a lsd of course)
Hope this helps.

aerowolf
21st October 2014, 08:19 AM
[QUOTE=If your looking for a good platform for power, you should find a V6 9-3 aero... better chassis, better power.[/QUOTE]

Does the Aero have a different chassis/suspension set-up?

I have a baby t with a Stage 1 from Maptun. Supposedly brings it back to big T level of play. It certainly feels more whooshy (jargon, sorry) than my gf's big T, but it's probably just throttle/turbo mapping being more ambitious.

I'd definitely recommend a Stage 1 at the very least, but if you want real power, find a better starting point. VTuner now has an ECM and turbo upgrade for the 2.0 now, which is worth looking into. Will at least get the ECM on the next car.