New exhaust, nice but a little quiet.... [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: New exhaust, nice but a little quiet....

LeviPhx
6th August 2014, 11:25 PM
Alright so like the title says, I just got a new magnaflow exhaust system on my 03 2.0T. However, I'm a little disappointed in how quiet it is. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't looking to compete with someones 97 body kitted civic, I was honestly worried it would be too loud - not the case.

My question is, is there anything I can do to make it louder? I love the tone, it's got a nice rumble at idle but it sounds more like my stock setup when I get on it.

KillroyPete
7th August 2014, 05:45 AM
Wait a week, the sound will change. Them youll see if you like it.
Brand new mufflers are always extra-quiet the first week or so.

LeviPhx
7th August 2014, 10:57 AM
Cool. I had heard this from a few people but I really didn't know if it was true or not. I'm about 5 days in as of today, but I have only put maybe 150 miles in. So I guess I'll just have to wait and see! ;ol;

ChattySaaby
7th August 2014, 12:40 PM
I'm curious, I have a Saab factory Remus sport exhaust cat-back on my 9-5 Aero wagon, and it got a little quieter after it was broken in. Explanation I heard was that soot builds on inside. Any idea why one exhaust system gets louder but another one gets quieter?

LeviPhx
7th August 2014, 12:44 PM
See, I heard that it gets louder for that same reason. Something like the soot you mentioned changes the way sound travels through the system.... :roll:

LeviPhx
7th August 2014, 12:46 PM
On an unrelated note, I see we are both rocking 2003 MY cars, how is yours treating you??

tour96se
7th August 2014, 04:46 PM
pics or sound clips?
i have an 03ss as well, 190k miles and runs like a top, only issues are self leveling headlight malfunction, onstar malfunction warnings in my sid...that gets old to hit clear twice on every startup.

LeviPhx
12th August 2014, 06:14 PM
Oops. Sorry man didn't see your response...I'll try to upload a sound clip when I get home from work. I have to say though, since giving it a little time to break in, it's tone has gotten marginally (but noticeably) deeper. So that's nice.

Also, great to hear about the endurance of your car! 190k on any vehicle is a testament to great care from the owner, so congrats.

KillroyPete
13th August 2014, 04:28 AM
. Explanation I heard was that soot builds on inside. Any idea why one exhaust system gets louder but another one gets quieter?

If soot can affect the sound that fast, It means a LOT of soot? :o
I can be wrong, no problem, but I'm skeptical about soot beeing a factor.