Proformance upgrades to the 93 2.0 [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Proformance upgrades to the 93 2.0

Doctor_k
7th May 2014, 11:42 PM
Hey everyone,

After searching the forums didn't see a thread that answered my questions so i figured id asked. I did google it but most of the stuff is across seas.

I have a stock 2.0 and was curious to see what upgrades people are doing to their engine, trans and turbo. Im new to the Saab as ive only had it about 6 months. Thanks everyone.

Diggs
8th May 2014, 12:12 AM
You need to be more specific. What goals do you have? How much $ have you budgeted? Engine...suspension..?

First step is usually get a tune.

Saabohème
8th May 2014, 01:59 AM
Given the thread title, I moved the thread here into the Performance forum for 2.0 Liter and under. OP, your thread was correctly posted by you in the 9-3SS general performance forum, but we have a created 2 new sub-forums for performance mods for 9-3SS models, the 2.8 Liter, and the others.

Doctor_k
10th May 2014, 02:56 PM
Im mainly focusing on the engine area, anything to upgrade in that area. I would like to stay under 2k. Thought about doing a programmer and chip it then tune. Open to any ideas or thoughts of what everyone else has or may be doing ;ol;

billm0066
10th May 2014, 05:03 PM
Im mainly focusing on the engine area, anything to upgrade in that area. I would like to stay under 2k. Thought about doing a programmer and chip it then tune. Open to any ideas or thoughts of what everyone else has or may be doing ;ol;

Programmer, chip, then tune? I will save you some money. Just get a tune :lol: It's up to you to find a tuner as this topic is beaten to death and then some.

Swededemon
11th May 2014, 01:15 AM
Hey everyone,

After searching the forums didn't see a thread that answered my questions so i figured id asked. I did google it but most of the stuff is across seas.

I have a stock 2.0 and was curious to see what upgrades people are doing to their engine, trans and turbo. Im new to the Saab as ive only had it about 6 months. Thanks everyone.

Doc, I think some people are having fun at your expense and obvious lack of automotive knowledge, nothing wrong with that.

Make sure the car is in good working order and then look into one of the tuning companies that everyone uses: BCB, JZW, Vtuner, Nordic, ect. Read about each and make an informed decision.

You can go about this one of four ways:
1. Mail your cars ECU to a tuner and they will mail it back. Your car will be laid up for a week or so with this.
2. Order a hand held device with a tune for your car saved to it. It looks similar to a OBDII reader from autozone. There is no downtime and you can go back to stock whenever you like. It is quite a bit more expensive this way though.
3. Drive to a tuner and have them tune your car while actually driving it or dynoing it. This is a great option because they can actually adjust YOUR car rather than a tune created with safe parameters made ideally for all of that given make.
4. Have a tuner send you a tune through the internet and you download it to your ECU. You're going to need some know how for this one.

At the same time you will need a down pipe, which is the first part of the exhaust closet to the engine and attached to the turbo. OBX makes a great piece that is cost effective at around 250.00.

For a cold air intake, don't waste your money. Simply get a more free flowing filter or make one of your own from the countless do it yourself threads here and elsewhere on the internet.

Lastly, these cars from the factory are as suited for spirited driving as a shopping cart. Invest in a nice suspension to assist with putting the power to the ground. Everyone looks past this piece when building a car for speed.

Have fun.

KillroyPete
11th May 2014, 09:08 PM
And brakes!
Everyone looks past this piece when building a car for speed. :lol:

SaabKen
11th May 2014, 11:23 PM
And brakes!
Everyone looks past this piece when building a car for speed. :lol:

What the heck for ?!? Why do you even need to slow down ? :roll:;);)

Tmarter
16th May 2014, 07:58 PM
What the heck for ?!? Why do you even need to slow down ? :roll:;);)

So when you see your boys with the radar on the highway you can get back to 65 quicker and he'll pull over that Bimmer instead ;ol;