stage 2/best price/questions [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: stage 2/best price/questions

berkeleydojah
20th December 2013, 05:48 AM
finally have the money to get another tune. currently stage 0 vtuner (260hp 280torque) whats the best bang for my buck? how much power can my auto tranny take while being safe? do i have to swap out my turbo? i have an upgraded IC and full exhaust. i have KONI FSD's as a suspension upgrade. what should i do as far as handling to keep things steady?

T3KN1ne
20th December 2013, 07:35 PM
I guess you would get more answers in performance and tuning ;ol;

SAABalingus
20th December 2013, 07:53 PM
finally have the money to get another tune. currently stage 0 vtuner (260hp 280torque) whats the best bang for my buck? how much power can my auto tranny take while being safe? do i have to swap out my turbo? i have an upgraded IC and full exhaust. i have KONI FSD's as a suspension upgrade. what should i do as far as handling to keep things steady?

U can prolly do a 19T, with a bigger intercooler. And youd also change out the injectors for larger higher flow ones. When u say full exhaust. Is it a cat back, or do u have a 3" downpipe? Also whats the size of the exhaust going all the way back? 3"?

berkeleydojah
20th December 2013, 08:10 PM
i do have an upgraded IC. and yeah 3 inch piping. no downpipe :/ do i really really need one? whats the best tuner for decent price and most power? handling wise what should i upgrade as well?

Diggs
20th December 2013, 10:09 PM
For stage 2 you don't need a downpipe.

coosabrew
20th December 2013, 10:31 PM
A 3" downpipe will help out. Problem is that in good 'ol California, it will not pass smog with downpipe installed. Need to swap in stock downpipe every 2 years. I run a stage 3 on the A/T, no problems whatsoever.

berkeleydojah
21st December 2013, 02:46 PM
idk which one would be cheaper. vtuner or jzw! hmmm

9-3gotboostAERO
21st December 2013, 02:50 PM
You really need to research dude, this has been answered countless times with many different options and paths you can take. Just look around and read... if you want more power you need to get a downpipe, there is no way getting around that.

swedespeed7
21st December 2013, 07:55 PM
Anything above Stage 3 is really pushing the auto tranny and will significantly shorten it's lifespan.

berkeleydojah
21st December 2013, 08:41 PM
yeah thats what im concerned about. but some "stages" give you more power like vtuners stage 1 is 300hp and 325 torque as JZW stage 3 is 289hp and 300 torque. idk how much power my tranny could hold. its an auto

also. whats the point of having forged pistons?

swedespeed7
21st December 2013, 08:46 PM
yeah thats what im concerned about. but some "stages" give you more power like vtuners stage 1 is 300hp and 325 torque as JZW stage 3 is 289hp and 300 torque. idk how much power my tranny could hold. its an auto

also. whats the point of having forged pistons?

You dont need forged pistons for your application with an auto tranny. Forged pistons are for much higher power applications. And the concern with the auto tranny is torque, not hp, so you'd want to discuss your power goals/longevity with your tuner.

swedespeed7
21st December 2013, 08:50 PM
This is why you get forged pistons:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-Qpsa6ZHt5Bg/UbiT1D7_W8I/AAAAAAAABh8/bw4tdW4AcIg/s720/117__DSC5924.jpg

berkeleydojah
21st December 2013, 09:01 PM
ahhhh! was that yours? whats your setup?

North Toronto Punter
21st December 2013, 09:42 PM
Brian's [VTuner] Stage 1 is, as far as I'm concerned, the Sweet Spot on the 4cyl (doesn't need intercooler nor other add-ons to produce his numbers). Though any you'd be able to supplement (3 inch DP for instance, as I've done [GS]) would be a bonus.

Had the pleasure of driving Brian's Stage 1 'Mule' (manual FWD '08 Linear/Vector) at my last visit (to bring X to his Stage 2) and that car was a little Rocket. I don't think you'd want any more power going to those 2 wheels (auto or otherwise). XWD would not be wasted at these levels...

I have an '09 fwd auto tuned a la Maptun to their Stage 3 --but it needs a little more. The stock,small turbo runs out of steam where I'd like it carry forth another 500 + RPMs. The 16T solves that. Brian's torque curve peaks high and I'm quite confident the auto will handle such a modest increase (from Stage 0).

If in Sweden I'd carry forth along the Maptun trajectory but for a North American it's not cost effective...and then you'll have to take time zones into account...for (inevitable) support.

You just need to co-ordinate the mechanical installation (of injectors and Turbo, locally) with The Tuner (remotely, I presume-- it's a rather long drive Cali to VT :)).

Come Spring I'll be back in Sheldon to apply that stage on GF's car (possibly with water/meth kit... we'll see:cheesy:).

swedespeed7
21st December 2013, 10:13 PM
ahhhh! was that yours? whats your setup?

That was from my 9000 Aero, a much more robust engine (B234R) than the B207R. I was pushing 340 bhp and 420 ft/lbs. Car ran lean and I melted a piston and a spark plug tip. No good!

My setup in my '09 2.0T automatic is 3" turboback, FMIC, intake, and JZW Stg 3 tune, with torque held back for AT. Haven't dyno'd yet, don't know that I will. I try not to push the car too hard, but as we all know, turbo is pretty addicting!