OBX downpipe owners [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: OBX downpipe owners

josht
15th December 2013, 03:10 AM
I was just curious to see if anyone on here has had their obx downpipe on for a decent amount of time and if they liked it. How has it held up and have you had any problems?

swedespeed7
16th December 2013, 02:33 AM
I was just curious to see if anyone on here has had their obx downpipe on for a decent amount of time and if they liked it. How has it held up and have you had any problems?

Lots of us here with the OBX. No known reports cracks or issues with build quality, I think I can speak for all of us when I say I'm pretty happy with the product. Really didn't like the EGT smaller bung, but that's a pretty easy fix. Maybe your 2004 has the EGT though? If your car does have an EGT, then it will bolt right up. Not sure one that, someone will hopefully chime in.

Also, don't forget it's catless, so you'll have to add a cat if you want one.

SAABalingus
16th December 2013, 11:41 PM
Lots of us here with the OBX. No known reports cracks or issues with build quality, I think I can speak for all of us when I say I'm pretty happy with the product. Really didn't like the EGT smaller bung, but that's a pretty easy fix. Maybe your 2004 has the EGT though? If your car does have an EGT, then it will bolt right up. Not sure one that, someone will hopefully chime in.

Also, don't forget it's catless, so you'll have to add a cat if you want one.

What happens when u get the car inspected? Here in NY they don't do a sniffer test on newer cars, they just plug into the OBD port. Would it give any red flags when getting the inspection, or would John at JZW alter my tune for the new pipe?

swedespeed7
16th December 2013, 11:47 PM
What happens when u get the car inspected? Here in NY they don't do a sniffer test on newer cars, they just plug into the OBD port. Would it give any red flags when getting the inspection, or would John at JZW alter my tune for the new pipe?

John turned my O2 error off, so I should be good for inspection.

JimGlock19
17th December 2013, 12:47 PM
Usually when error codes or CELs are cleared, the car will not pass inspections as it will show up that something was cleared and the tests come up as "not ready". Just a heads up! You will need to drive in a number of conditions to get the car to go through its codes. Cruising at 55mph for 5 minutes, accelerating at 30% throttle for a few seconds, accelerating at 50% throttle, decelerating from 50mph to 20mph without breaking or changing gears, letting the car sit for a period of time so it can do a cold start, etc.

swedespeed7
17th December 2013, 01:29 PM
Usually when error codes or CELs are cleared, the car will not pass inspections as it will show up that something was cleared and the tests come up as "not ready". Just a heads up! You will need to drive in a number of conditions to get the car to go through its codes. Cruising at 55mph for 5 minutes, accelerating at 30% throttle for a few seconds, accelerating at 50% throttle, decelerating from 50mph to 20mph without breaking or changing gears, letting the car sit for a period of time so it can do a cold start, etc.

Jim, the code was not simply "cleared", it was removed entirely from the ECU. The code does not "exist" anymore. This was done this past summer, and I've never had a problem since.

josht
17th December 2013, 11:29 PM
Honestly i don't think where i live they do any sort of testing for emissions. I feel like i would of known by now don't you think? Also wouldn't not having a cat make for better air flow, or does the cat on the gs not make a huge difference on air flow? Im looking at buying either obx or gs downpipe and the obx is cheaper so i am kind of considering it.How long have you had it on your car?

SAABalingus
18th December 2013, 12:32 AM
John turned my O2 error off, so I should be good for inspection.

Did uu do the install yourself? I'm gonna tackle mine, I have good mechanical skills annd all the necessary tools. How hard was it to remove the pipe off the turbo? And did it give uu any better sound with the new pipe?

swedespeed7
18th December 2013, 06:15 AM
Did uu do the install yourself? I'm gonna tackle mine, I have good mechanical skills annd all the necessary tools. How hard was it to remove the pipe off the turbo? And did it give uu any better sound with the new pipe?

Details here: https://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254765&page=6