Best Exhaust for 04 Saab 93? [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Best Exhaust for 04 Saab 93?

ChosenZero
21st November 2013, 07:31 PM
I have a 04 9-3 and i was looking for the best exhaust system for it. Thanks a lot.

swedespeed7
21st November 2013, 10:25 PM
Your best bet is to have an exhaust shop make one for you. Pick your mufflers (Magnaflow, Borla, etc. lots of Youtube SAAB reviews), pick your tips, have a shop bend some pipe, and you're done. You won't see much in power gain unless you tune the vehicle afterward, exhausts are mostly for sound without a tune.

Cafasco
27th November 2013, 01:27 AM
The best thing you can do is replace the OEM down and mid pipe with a 3" downpipe.

http://www.genuinesaab.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=777

and bolt up this...

http://www.genuinesaab.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=44_76&products_id=455

But you can also go custom from the downpipe back if you can find someone to do it. Most shops won't touch a vehicle that has a CAT that looks a lot different then OEM. But you can do the above yourself...not hard.

I have the 3" DP and had a 18" stainless steel pipe custom mandrel bent to fit into the OEM resonator and remaining OEM exhaust. The truth is you wont gain anything by changing out the exhaust after the 3" downpipe unless you are going to something like a stage 5 tune. The OEM resonator back to the muffler is not very restrictive, but everything forward is. I had a Magnaflow installed in place of the OEM muffler and lost the bottom end. The resonation vibrated my fillings loose...course I didn't have a resonator installed at the time and they would not install one for me. The would not do anything in front of my rear wheels because of the 3" down pipe. They said I was missing the CAT...not so, but they wouldn't touch it anyway.

There is a lot of research showing that for turbo charged cars it's best to step down the exhaust from, for example, 3 to 2.5, to 2.25 as the hot compressed gas cools it condenses. Stepping down in size helps maintain velocity and savaging.

swedespeed7
27th November 2013, 09:03 AM
Wow Cafasco, Idaho seems a bit strict! Come to Chicago and any exhaust shop will do anything you want.

willsmysticcobra
27th November 2013, 12:54 PM
Wow Cafasco, Idaho seems a bit strict! Come to Chicago and any exhaust shop will do anything you want.

ehhhh kinda tried that today with no such luck lol. :cry:

swedespeed7
27th November 2013, 12:56 PM
ehhhh kinda tried that today with no such luck lol. :cry:

Huh? Where did you go? This my guy, he'll do anything and for a good price:

http://victormufflers.com/

willsmysticcobra
27th November 2013, 01:08 PM
Hit up a car-x, midas, and a mom and pop general mechanic shop. 2-3 said too much work because they need to create a "custom bend" for the magnaflow muffler, Midas wanted $200 to install it lol.... I walked out. These were all in the Schaumburg area today

swedespeed7
27th November 2013, 01:11 PM
Hit up a car-x, midas, and a mom and pop general mechanic shop. 2-3 said too much work because they need to create a "custom bend" for the magnaflow muffler, Midas wanted $200 to install it lol.... I walked out. These were all in the Schaumburg area today

Wow. I would have never gone to a Midas, Car-x, or the like. Mom and pop auto shops don't really do exhausts, just minor repairs, and most don't have a pipe machine, just a welder if that. I know because I used to work at one.

Custom exhaust fabricating shop is the place to go!

Cafasco
27th November 2013, 01:18 PM
That sucks Will! Looks like Swedespeed7 has your guy!

Yeah they are really strict here, which sucks cuz I want a couple joints welded and no one will touch anything in front of the rear wheels as they think I'm missing a CAT but can't confirm as diagram for my car is unavailable in their DB's. There is one more shop I can try but their rates are sky high...so I may stop in some day on way home and see if they will do any welds.

Getting the Magnaflow installed was not a problem...and for $40. Then turned around and uninstalled putting OEM muffler in N/C. Midas is a total RIP OFF! They have tried to scam me before. Never again!

willsmysticcobra
27th November 2013, 04:10 PM
went to good old velasquez mufflers and they did it for VERY cheap lol.... only con is the tip placement is way too low :cry: I may be able to adjust it.

https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1469793_10152038122675926_1344015037_n.jpg

Sorry for the hijack thread... sounds awesome though guys. Not too loud.

coosabrew
27th November 2013, 08:57 PM
I have a GS 3" downpipe with a glass pack in place of the mid pipe and 2.5" to a magnaflow muffler. Very happy with the sound. Stage 3 tune helps with the performance.

Ksamaran93V
28th November 2013, 11:11 AM
What kind of sounds are you guys getting from your redone exhausts? I'm looking to get a deeper/bellowing sound. I know that's harder to do with I-4's, but is it possible?

Also, does getting a tune affect your exhaust sound?

nkrptd
28th November 2013, 11:47 AM
What kind of sounds are you guys getting from your redone exhausts? I'm looking to get a deeper/bellowing sound. I know that's harder to do with I-4's, but is it possible?

You want it to sound like mine dont you?.... I know you do :cheesy: lol

Saabohème
28th November 2013, 01:27 PM
Also, does getting a tune affect your exhaust sound?I can think of one way - it increases the Doppler effect when you are accelerating away from someone.;)

Cafasco
28th November 2013, 01:46 PM
Hey Will,

Glad you were able to get it worked out! Yeah I agree that is too low. I'm surprised they would let it leave the shop like that. I would take it back and ask them to fix it. Who ever did it must have had Thanksgiving on his/her mind...

SAABalingus
29th November 2013, 05:54 PM
Hey Will. Yeah I agree that is too low. I'm surprised they would let it leave the shop like that. I would take it back and ask them to fix it.

+1 u paid for it to be done right, have them adjust it.

SovangW
29th November 2013, 09:56 PM
The best thing you can do is replace the OEM down and mid pipe with a 3" downpipe.

http://www.genuinesaab.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=777

and bolt up this...

http://www.genuinesaab.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=44_76&products_id=455

But you can also go custom from the downpipe back if you can find someone to do it. Most shops won't touch a vehicle that has a CAT that looks a lot different then OEM. But you can do the above yourself...not hard.

I have the 3" DP and had a 18" stainless steel pipe custom mandrel bent to fit into the OEM resonator and remaining OEM exhaust. The truth is you wont gain anything by changing out the exhaust after the 3" downpipe unless you are going to something like a stage 5 tune. The OEM resonator back to the muffler is not very restrictive, but everything forward is. I had a Magnaflow installed in place of the OEM muffler and lost the bottom end. The resonation vibrated my fillings loose...course I didn't have a resonator installed at the time and they would not install one for me. The would not do anything in front of my rear wheels because of the 3" down pipe. They said I was missing the CAT...not so, but they wouldn't touch it anyway.

There is a lot of research showing that for turbo charged cars it's best to step down the exhaust from, for example, 3 to 2.5, to 2.25 as the hot compressed gas cools it condenses. Stepping down in size helps maintain velocity and savaging.

this is what i did, outstanding!

Cafasco
1st December 2013, 03:48 PM

You Tube "Saab 9-3 Magnaflow" in the search field. Use headphones if your using a laptop or other speaker challenged device. It is a deeper tone. The turbo makes the I-4 sound better than it would otherwise IMO.

Cafasco
1st December 2013, 03:57 PM
this is what i did, outstanding!

SWEET! My 08 had twin turn down tips behind the rear bumper. This with mono color bumper cover was a real boner killer. The rear looked so de-balled. I cut of the tips, cut out the bumper, extended the tips kind of staggered with the shape of the bumper filling the hole and then used Plasti-Dip (stuff is awesome!) on the rear valiance section. Wow did that transform the car.

The exhaust is just right for me. Pretty quite but you can tell it's not stock. And can certainly hear it when you step on it. Seems to work perfectly with my JZW Stage 1+ tune and 3" GS DP. ;ol;

I have thought about the BSR 2.5" system from GS several times, but I really like the look of my staggered twin tips rather than one larger oval...so any further exhaust upgrades are way down at the bottom of the list...

willsmysticcobra
1st December 2013, 11:25 PM
Hey Will,

Glad you were able to get it worked out! Yeah I agree that is too low. I'm surprised they would let it leave the shop like that. I would take it back and ask them to fix it. Who ever did it must have had Thanksgiving on his/her mind...

Fixed them myself ;ol;

https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/600892_10152048095680926_1770612613_n.jpg

Cafasco
2nd December 2013, 06:40 PM
Ah much better!