2.0T Stage 5 [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: 2.0T Stage 5

Tmarter
13th September 2013, 08:48 PM
Almost finished dropping this bad boy in...TD04HL-20T custom built.

Going to be running it on E85, and still running a block off plate in place of the the diverter valve to keep using the Synchronic BOV. Here's a pic of the Linear Garrett GT2025, the Arc TD04L-14T, and my new TD04HL-20T, all together for size reference:

And the Turbine wheels (kinda hard to tell the size by the angle...but it's a noticeably big difference)

I'll be trying to make it into a dyno some time next week when I get some free time ;ol; I'll post a pull video up here when everything is all tuned up and adjusted

Pace
13th September 2013, 09:29 PM
I like this. Patiently awaiting dyno results. ;ol;

weenrock
13th September 2013, 10:23 PM
Are you worried about reliability or breaking anything in the transmission with the 20T?

Tmarter
14th September 2013, 07:21 AM
Are you worried about reliability or breaking anything in the transmission with the 20T?

I'd probably break something else before the trans...if I launched it all the time I would be concerned about the axles, but I'm looking into that, along with poly mounts soon too

9-3gotboostAERO
14th September 2013, 09:06 AM
Good stuff man, where'd you get the 20-T built again?

Honestly I think your block and your tranny will hold fine, I've never seen anything to tell me different except for people who haven't pushed something to it limits tell what they heard on the internet... like that french model...

I'd keep close eye on those EGT's though.

weenrock
14th September 2013, 12:47 PM
I'd probably break something else before the trans...if I launched it all the time I would be concerned about the axles, but I'm looking into that, along with poly mounts soon too

You are probably right. I saw a video posted by GS on youtube where they shredded the axle. I believe you have the F35 tranny right? I am not familiar with the specs, but I just looked up the limits via wikipedia:

"The GM transmissions are usually numerically designated in newton metres that means F35 is rated at 350 Nm, the weaker rod shifted SAAB version of the F35, the F25, at 250 Nm, F40 at 400 Nm, M32 at 320 Nm, and so on."

But I haven't heard of many people breaking these trannys. Are you going to do anything to the internals? New pistons or rods?

Good stuff man, where'd you get the 20-T built again?

Honestly I think your block and your tranny will hold fine, I've never seen anything to tell me different except for people who haven't pushed something to it limits tell what they heard on the internet... like that french model...

I'd keep close eye on those EGT's though.

Personally if I hit 300hp, I would want to, at a minimum upgrade the pistons/rods. I have only heard that the block is rated for 300hp with stock internals. I am not mechanically inclined yet to do a piston swap or take apart the head. But I'd love to learn because I am paranoid with preventative maintenance. :cool:

9-3gotboostAERO
14th September 2013, 01:23 PM
Exactly, you have only "heard" that.
However its been proven MULTIPLE TIMES that the block can handle 350 to wheels (easy 400hp)

weenrock
14th September 2013, 01:27 PM
Yeah, but I am the type of person who would rather play on the safe side and look at the long-term. I don't doubt the block can handle 400hp, but for how long? ;)

My saab now is a daily driver and one day I'd love to gut it and turn it into a track car. Just not now.

Tmarter
15th September 2013, 11:58 PM
Down the road I'll probably invest in the engine, next thing I'd like to do is replace the mounts and bushings, and LSD.

That is... when I get it running. Almost finished the swap, and I broke the damn coupler for the coolant feed that I was taking off my old td04...its always the little stuff :evil: lol but i'm swinging by the dealer or jegs or somewhere after I get off tomorrow, so I can pick up a new one and finish this up

weenrock
16th September 2013, 11:13 AM
Down the road I'll probably invest in the engine, next thing I'd like to do is replace the mounts and bushings, and LSD.

That is... when I get it running. Almost finished the swap, and I broke the damn coupler for the coolant feed that I was taking off my old td04...its always the little stuff :evil: lol but i'm swinging by the dealer or jegs or somewhere after I get off tomorrow, so I can pick up a new one and finish this up

Engine mounts and suspension bushings? I would love a quaife...

I hate it went that **** happens. I was doing brake lines (not on a saab) and kept having to buy special parts. :evil:

The stock TD04-14t just has oil feeds, not both right? So you had to slice them from somewhere?

Tmarter
17th September 2013, 12:45 AM
Engine mounts and suspension bushings? I would love a quaife...

I hate it went that **** happens. I was doing brake lines (not on a saab) and kept having to buy special parts. :evil:

The stock TD04-14t just has oil feeds, not both right? So you had to slice them from somewhere?

Both the garrett and the td04 have oil and coolant lines, feed and drain for a total of 4.

So apparently the coupler on the back of the turbo (coolant feed), is a 12mm x1.25, screws into the turbo, and the banjo bolt feeds into that...That is what allows the coolant line to actually reach the port on the turbo, otherwise it would be blocked by the compressor housing.

Went to NAPA, IPS Motorsports, Home Depot, local hardware store, didn't have anything. Then went to the dealer...there is apparently 1 (one, yes ONE) of those by part number in circulation across the entire US, it would have taken a couple weeks to get it.

Sooo....I had to improvise. Went to Jeg's and bought fittings and made a custom braided stainless coolant feed.

Have the day off tomorrow, and have the whole day to get it fine tuned ;ol;

wardak33
17th September 2013, 04:52 AM
Did you go through turbo lab? They upgraded my compressor wheel to a billet 50x61mm wheel which is slightly larger than the 20t with the HL wheel and HOLY **** does it pull lol i'm still tuning it, figuring out some limp mode issues with JZW but it's awesome lol

Tmarter
17th September 2013, 10:44 AM
nope, actually picked it up from a local guy, this one has the billet 20T compressor, HL turbine wheel, alloy thrust bearing and gapless rings, so the turbo itself should last a hell of a lot longer when its being pushed hard

what's putting you into limp mode?

MR.SAAB
17th September 2013, 04:28 PM
any info on where the turbo was assembled? the brand and exact size of the compressor wheel? is the cold side ported?

Tmarter
18th September 2013, 01:31 AM
58mm exducer, 47mm inducer, compressor housing is ported as well as the turbine housing to fit the HL wheel. Not sure the brand of the wheel or where the work was done, bought the turbo as it was, but it was originally a td04L-14T before it was upgraded.

*UPDATE*
Was hitting 26psi earlier today...2nd gear isn't near as limited as before, and when it hooks up, starts to put you back in your seat a little bit now. This tune is pretty mild to start out with, but still a lot more power than the last setup I was running, which was supposedly 327/395 at the crank...Looking at hopefully getting everything dialed in on the money here throughout the week when I have time, and I'll post a video when people get out of the way and give me enough road for a 3rd gear pull :cheesy:

Then dyno time mid next week!

Gah3535
23rd September 2013, 10:09 PM
Tmart less dyno. More pulls. Give us some 1/4 mile 0-60 etc even if its with torque app only. <3

Tmarter
2nd October 2013, 03:37 AM
Well...postponed the dyno schedule. Was blowing hoses and enough was enough. Was also burning a little oil, and made a HUUGE production out of a few small things.

-Rebuilt the turbo to check for any seals that were bad or causing oil to be burnt...turns out the seal on the turbine shaft had a lot of play in it and was causing the problem. Replaced all the other seals and o-rings and fixed 'er up.

-In the process of making aluminum hard pipes for the whole system to help with air flow, get rid of the rubber hoses that were cut to fit the FMIC, and reduce the amount of clamps and weak spots. New pipes are 2.5" except for the aluminum pipe that is going around the oil pan, and before the throttle body where I'm going to remount the MAP sensor. Trying to have a shop roll beads on all the ends so the damn things don't pop off any more.

-Made a custom braided oil drain line because
1) Stock one sucks and doesn't seat to the pan and it will sometimes leak a little...

2)Aftermarket REALLY sucks because it has the same design as the stock one, but with 3 bends in the line instead of 1...each bend restricts the flow of oil back to the pan, since the only thing draining the oil is gravity. The new line has no bends and is a straight shot to the pan.

3)It's also a larger diameter at -8AN to allow more oil to travel back quicker, since the turbo is operated at higher pressure, and brings in more oil than the 14T. Also been reading up about people modding the td04's, and a common problem is oil backing up do to the sizing of the drain line, or the design being too restricting...this results in the oil not being able to drain fast enough, where it can blow back past the sealing rings which then necessitates a rebuild...hopefully that will all be avoided now.

4) Looks pretty nice ;ol;

I got all the stuff from a local shop and am fabbing it all up myself...taking my time with everything to make sure everything is 100% perfect. If you guys are interested in an oil line (or coolant line or f**k, any line... lol) I have a bunch of hose left and can either whip some up for people, or I'll just buy more connectors and make braided lines for the other 2 I haven't done yet.

Tmarter
2nd October 2013, 04:05 AM
Tmart less dyno. More pulls. Give us some 1/4 mile 0-60 etc even if its with torque app only. <3

WELLL you'll have to wait til it's running again :cheesy: and I don't have torque so 1/4 and 0-60 are N/A. lol Because I want actual numbers and not butt dyno's from a passenger, I should probably get torque anyways. Been wanting to, just havent ordered the obd connector

TankTak
2nd October 2013, 04:05 AM
-In the process of making aluminum hard pipes for the whole system to help with air flow, get rid of the rubber hoses that were cut to fit the FMIC, and reduce the amount of clamps and weak spots. New pipes are 2.5" except for the aluminum pipe that is going around the oil pan, and before the throttle body where I'm going to remount the MAP sensor. Trying to have a shop roll beads on all the ends so the damn things don't pop off any more.
Instead of finding a shop to roll beads onto your piping why not fabricate and do it yourself....heres a easy how to How to make a Bead Roller - YouTube

Tmarter
2nd October 2013, 04:09 AM
hmmm well looks like something else on my to-do list ;ol; I've seen that before, but it's probably worthwhile now that I think about how much cheaper it would be most likely...

btw that guy looks like Steve lol

9-3gotboostAERO
2nd October 2013, 07:59 AM
Hairspray, use it on the ends of the pipes/silicone right before joining them together.

Works amazingly

KaMiKaZi_t0M
2nd October 2013, 10:51 AM
Hairspray, use it on the ends of the pipes/silicone right before joining them together.

Works amazingly

+1. We've got it done on my boss's talledega and it runs around 28PSI. Nothing but hairspray baby,

Tmarter
3rd October 2013, 12:18 AM
Figured I'd save 20 bucks or whatever from making a bead roller, I just took a set of grips and flared the ends, then bent them back in, and sanded the edges with a dremel to make it easier on the silicone couplers. Also got one of those Mother's polisher balls for an electric drill, an extension, and polished the insides of the pipes. 3 cheers for fabbing ;ol;

Gah3535
3rd October 2013, 12:37 AM
Figured I'd save 20 bucks or whatever from making a bead roller, I just took a set of grips and flared the ends, then bent them back in, and sanded the edges with a dremel to make it easier on the silicone couplers. Also got one of those Mother's polisher balls for an electric drill, an extension, and polished the insides of the pipes. 3 cheers for fabbing ;ol;

Thats a nice fap.

Tmarter
3rd October 2013, 02:53 AM
Thats a nice fap.

I'll have you know, nobody beats my fapping.

20Tsaabsteve
3rd October 2013, 10:47 AM
Watching your build! Do you still have the 207l cams or did you install the 207R? Also, did you get an assortment of piping that was already bent?

With the 20T upgrade, what are the power limits of the turbo on pump gas? 350whp? I know you are running e85, so maybe 375whp? Or am I way off?

For myself, I am wondering if it would be beneficial just to plan on using the Cobalt LNF turbo, as people have been able to hit 350whp on the stock turbo and 370's with e85. That is probably well passed the turbo's efficiency range as well though.

Wish we had more options that either bolted to the saab manifold or the LNF cobalt manifold, as it is twin scroll and pretty solid flow wise up to 450 hp or so. Maybe I will just build an equal length manifold with a common t3 or v-band flange and be done :P

Also, we have to be able to get these cars into the low 12's. Cobalts can, and I don't think they are even that much lighter.

I like your custom lines too! Did you check your oil return flange ID and compare it to the ID on the turbo? I have been reading a lot lately of the flanges being a lot smaller than the turbo size, also causing more restriction. Sounds like you are aware of those issues though. :)

Are you running an aftermarket intercooler?

Sorry for all of the questions lol, too much coffee this morning.

9-3gotboostAERO
3rd October 2013, 11:00 AM
Hasn't been one 9-3ss to hit a flat 13 mark, only the V6's have approached low 13's
We're heavier and not setup to make a crap-ton of power below 40mph. These cars are setup for highway.

Also the LNF is DI so naturally makes more power.
A 20T on 93 octane on a 9-3ss will prob hit 320whp... maybe less

Tmarter
4th October 2013, 01:33 AM
Watching your build! Do you still have the 207l cams or did you install the 207R? Also, did you get an assortment of piping that was already bent?

With the 20T upgrade, what are the power limits of the turbo on pump gas? 350whp? I know you are running e85, so maybe 375whp? Or am I way off?

For myself, I am wondering if it would be beneficial just to plan on using the Cobalt LNF turbo, as people have been able to hit 350whp on the stock turbo and 370's with e85. That is probably well passed the turbo's efficiency range as well though.

Wish we had more options that either bolted to the saab manifold or the LNF cobalt manifold, as it is twin scroll and pretty solid flow wise up to 450 hp or so. Maybe I will just build an equal length manifold with a common t3 or v-band flange and be done :P

Also, we have to be able to get these cars into the low 12's. Cobalts can, and I don't think they are even that much lighter.

I like your custom lines too! Did you check your oil return flange ID and compare it to the ID on the turbo? I have been reading a lot lately of the flanges being a lot smaller than the turbo size, also causing more restriction. Sounds like you are aware of those issues though. :)

Are you running an aftermarket intercooler?

Sorry for all of the questions lol, too much coffee this morning.

Yep still have linear B207L cams. If anything it's just a little more power lower end rather than up top. I'm not sure if there could be another build for a bigger turbo in the future, but I'd like to get the timing perfect and a decent manifold compared to the log-type stock one....but since it bolts on fine now, I'm not planning on messing with it.

As far as the oil return flange goes, you're exactly right about the drain lines being too restricting, and it's especially the case when I have a bigger turbine wheel than the 4 bangers would normally have on the td04's. Not only with our turbos, but garretts, TE04 TD05 TD06 etc all use the same flange for the oil return, and oil backing up and blowing past the seals isn't an uncommon problem if you look around... Stock line measured at 10mm ID, while my new line is -8AN, and the -AN sizes are measure in 1/16"...so 8/16 = 1/2 or 12.7mm...which is a good bit bigger over the stock one, and there are no bends at all, which is a straight shot to the oil pan.

CX Racing Intercooler 27x10x3

At this point as far as options go, most of it's all going to be custom stuff from this point...besides technical stuff.

And honestly I'm not 100% sure what kind of power it will make, I supposedly had 327hp/395tq crank with the 14T...this thing is a monster compared to that. Plus this is on E-85 not gas

Tmarter
4th October 2013, 01:42 AM
hasn't been one 9-3ss to hit a flat 13 mark, only the v6's have approached low 13's

challenge accepted.

Tmarter
4th October 2013, 03:42 AM
Ok, so even though I made beads on all the pipes I was going to put in, I ended up taking them to a buddy's place and we welded them up. Here's the cool side, all the pipe going from the intercooler to the throttle body, all 2.5" and a lot less bends than the original hoses, and no weak spots for hoses to pop off ;ol; Painted the piece with high temp ceramic base paint and clearcoat. Silicone couplers at each end, a bit longer one for the throttle body, one 90 for the FMIC

Then, to attach the MAP sensor and replace the black plastic pipe, we welded a bung that seats the sensor perfectly, and seals up pretty damn tight with an O-ring...but we'll put RTV sealer around it when it goes in for an extra firm hold against boost pressure.

Also drilled and tapped a hole for a 90 brass vacuum barb that goes to the boost control solenoid.

9-3gotboostAERO
4th October 2013, 08:08 AM
Looking very good keep it up

weenrock
4th October 2013, 01:37 PM
Yep still have linear B207L cams. If anything it's just a little more power lower end rather than up top. I'm not sure if there could be another build for a bigger turbo in the future, but I'd like to get the timing perfect and a decent manifold compared to the log-type stock one....but since it bolts on fine now, I'm not planning on messing with it.

As far as the oil return flange goes, you're exactly right about the drain lines being too restricting, and it's especially the case when I have a bigger turbine wheel than the 4 bangers would normally have on the td04's. Not only with our turbos, but garretts, TE04 TD05 TD06 etc all use the same flange for the oil return, and oil backing up and blowing past the seals isn't an uncommon problem if you look around... Stock line measured at 10mm ID, while my new line is -8AN, and the -AN sizes are measure in 1/16"...so 8/16 = 1/2 or 12.7mm...which is a good bit bigger over the stock one, and there are no bends at all, which is a straight shot to the oil pan.

CX Racing Intercooler 27x10x3

At this point as far as options go, most of it's all going to be custom stuff from this point...besides technical stuff.

And honestly I'm not 100% sure what kind of power it will make, I supposedly had 327hp/395tq crank with the 14T...this thing is a monster compared to that. Plus this is on E-85 not gas

Why did you put the 207L cams in? You do it yourself? I assume you had to make sure the timing chain didn't move?

9-3gotboostAERO
4th October 2013, 01:50 PM
Why did you put the 207L cams in? You do it yourself? I assume you had to make sure the timing chain didn't move?

His car is a 2.0t, factory 207L cams.

weenrock
4th October 2013, 02:25 PM
Oh!

I assumed Tmarter had the B207R because of the "2.0T."

Gracies for the answer ;ol;

Very impressive work for doing this with the B207L. :D I would love to do some of this to my B207R, but student loans/car loan/food/rent > car mods.

Do you think the oil drain line upgrade would be beneficial for a 16T upgrade? Or overkill?

edusaab
4th October 2013, 02:54 PM

it's me or that "gracies" it's catalan? corious...:cheesy:

regards

Tmarter
4th October 2013, 03:08 PM
Oh!

I assumed Tmarter had the B207R because of the "2.0T."

Very impressive work for doing this with the B207L. :D I would love to do some of this to my B207R, but student loans/car loan/food/rent > car mods.

Do you think the oil drain line upgrade would be beneficial for a 16T upgrade? Or overkill?

It would be a good idea if you have the HL turbine wheel, I think the 16T still uses the L wheel. But the stock line that could have a bunch of miles on it( haven't heard of anyone replacing their oil lines as preventative maintenance, you'll usually find out one of your lines is clogged when it's too late...) and after a while, the could be deposits that could restrict the flow over time.

We all know how hard it is to get ahold of the stock lines, especially new ones that are OEM, this would be cheaper, more efficient, and without restriction (look at the pics above to see the comparison of the bends in the 3 lines: OEM vs aftermarket ebay line vs Custom

weenrock
4th October 2013, 03:13 PM
it's me or that "gracies" it's catalan? corious...:cheesy:

regards

Whoops. Good catch. Not catalan at all!

Gah3535
4th October 2013, 03:39 PM
It would be a good idea if you have the HL turbine wheel, I think the 16T still uses the L wheel. But the stock line that could have a bunch of miles on it( haven't heard of anyone replacing their oil lines as preventative maintenance, you'll usually find out one of your lines is clogged when it's too late...) and after a while, the could be deposits that could restrict the flow over time.

We all know how hard it is to get ahold of the stock lines, especially new ones that are OEM, this would be cheaper, more efficient, and without restriction (look at the pics above to see the comparison of the bends in the 3 lines: OEM vs aftermarket ebay line vs Custom

You don't know how eagerly I await your results.

20Tsaabsteve
4th October 2013, 04:13 PM
Hasn't been one 9-3ss to hit a flat 13 mark, only the V6's have approached low 13's
We're heavier and not setup to make a crap-ton of power below 40mph. These cars are setup for highway.

Also the LNF is DI so naturally makes more power.
A 20T on 93 octane on a 9-3ss will prob hit 320whp... maybe less

The 5 speeds have the same exact transmission as the cobalt SS. Maybe the final drive is slightly different, but from what I gather from the cobalt drivers (I own an A body, this is why I know) first and second gear are useless unless they have good tires/suspension setup, so they have the same issues saab's do.

Looked up the curb weight, yes the difference is roughly 260lbs, but still that isn't enough to equate to a 1 second difference in the 1/4. I think the biggest limiting factor is tunability of the Saab.

True about the LNF as direct injection is more efficient, but I was referencing the LNF strictly to compare turbo output to see if it would be beneficial to do a turbo swap from the LNF vs. a 20T swap.

Tmarter, any pics of the oil return line installed?

Tmarter
4th October 2013, 05:14 PM
The 5 speeds have the same exact transmission as the cobalt SS. Maybe the final drive is slightly different, but from what I gather from the cobalt drivers (I own an A body, this is why I know) first and second gear are useless unless they have good tires/suspension setup, so they have the same issues saab's do.

Looked up the curb weight, yes the difference is roughly 260lbs, but still that isn't enough to equate to a 1 second difference in the 1/4. I think the biggest limiting factor is tunability of the Saab.

True about the LNF as direct injection is more efficient, but I was referencing the LNF strictly to compare turbo output to see if it would be beneficial to do a turbo swap from the LNF vs. a 20T swap.

Tmarter, any pics of the oil return line installed?

Working on that right now, I'll get back soon with a pic

edusaab
5th October 2013, 04:18 AM
Whoops. Good catch. Not catalan at all!

jajajajaja, it looks weird, when I say it everyday and in the middle of an English sentence, jajaja

Regards!!

weenrock
5th October 2013, 09:11 PM
jajajajaja, it looks weird, when I say it everyday and in the middle of an English sentence, jajaja

Regards!!

Jaja, yo hablo un poco de espanol.

I visited some friends in Granada last October ;ol;

20Tsaabsteve
8th October 2013, 09:40 AM
still waiting tmarter :)

Tmarter
8th October 2013, 01:07 PM
still waiting tmarter :)

Hold your horses! :lol: Got a pic when the turbo was out of the car, I'll grab another picture of where it plugs to the oil pan when I'm under the car in a little bit. Also added a heat shield to the hose, since it's going to be close to the downpipe where it gets pretty hot.

http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s374/Tyler_Marter/IMG_20131004_180554_744_zpsc2ad1aae.jpg (http://s1048.photobucket.com/user/Tyler_Marter/media/IMG_20131004_180554_744_zpsc2ad1aae.jpg.html)

http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s374/Tyler_Marter/IMG_20131004_180516_672_zps50e58032.jpg (http://s1048.photobucket.com/user/Tyler_Marter/media/IMG_20131004_180516_672_zps50e58032.jpg.html)

Been busy with work this week, and running into stupid stuff, like re-welding the pipes because we angled one of the pipes pointing the wrong way, then re-welded them again to make sure we got the vacuum port and MAP sensor bung in the right spot. Almost done now, have the day off and I'm going out to finish the rest of it now

Tmarter
9th October 2013, 02:00 AM
Of course the one pipe I didn't put a bead on blew off. Just the straight piece that connects the turbo to the aluminum charge pipe, that I replaced because they were old and looked like ****...I'll get a bead and some hairspray on that thing in the morning, put the stronger tune in and see how it does.

No issues with relocating the MAP sensor to the new custom hard pipe on the cold side, so that clears that up ;ol;

Saab_93_1999
10th October 2013, 12:18 PM
Subed to this :)! can't wait to see the results!!

kimvette
10th October 2013, 11:56 PM
I want to do this to my 2.0t :)

Sadly still not in the budget, yet. . .

Tmarter
10th October 2013, 11:58 PM
So ran it around a little more today and everything looks good, eyeing the oil level and watching for leaks and none so far, everything looks good ;ol; no boost leaks, fixed that last pipe with a bead and holds strong, MAP sensor is holding strong in that bung and haven't had any issues yet.

This thing pulls like mad...not even full throttle and it will smoke second gear...I'll see if I can get a video up soon.

moesho
11th October 2013, 12:21 AM
So if I drive to Columbus you'll help me do some of this to my car?

kimvette
11th October 2013, 12:30 AM

It's very hard to do - fwd is one hurdle, and the small tires is another hurdle. The front suspension just isn't set up for hard acceleration; the shocks and spring rates are all wrong, and if you try putting wider tires on the front and launch hard on a concrete strip, you're liable to shatter the half shafts (or at least blow the CV joints), plus when you launch the weight shifts to the rear, further hindering launches. It doesn't matter how much torque you can make if you can't reliably put power to the ground. Oh, and the torque steer SAAB engineers worked hard to minimize? It'll be back with a vengeance!

The best suspension for the strip is a live axle; it's strong, less prone to wheel hop, and easy to control.

With XWD it might be very possible to get into the 12s or even 11s - if the transaxle+transfer case can handle the stress. It might not live long though. How is parts availability for Haldex components now?

Jeremy Clarkson is right - there is no one aspect of performance quantifiably great about a SAAB but you just can't get that stupid smile off your face while driving one.

I'm after a reasonably quick 0-60 - or 0-65 really (not like the stock snooze-inducing 7-8 seconds the stock tune delivers), and a really blistering 35-80 for merging and passing. :D Beyond that, meh. It's a low end to mid range luxury car that's fun to drive.

Tmarter
11th October 2013, 01:02 AM
So if I drive to Columbus you'll help me do some of this to my car?

Grab all the stuff and we can do whatever you want if you got the $ and time;ol; we can make hard pipes and lines too

moesho
11th October 2013, 07:39 AM
Grab all the stuff and we can do whatever you want if you got the $ and time;ol; we can make hard pipes and lines too

Sounds good all I gotta do is make the money and were set.

20Tsaabsteve
11th October 2013, 11:37 AM
So ran it around a little more today and everything looks good, eyeing the oil level and watching for leaks and none so far, everything looks good ;ol; no boost leaks, fixed that last pipe with a bead and holds strong, MAP sensor is holding strong in that bung and haven't had any issues yet.

This thing pulls like mad...not even full throttle and it will smoke second gear...I'll see if I can get a video up soon.

Video would be great. Your oil return looks real good. Are you still planning on putting it on the dyno?

Who is tuning the car again? Yourself? Are you using t8suite?

Nice work! ;ol;

Tmarter
11th October 2013, 12:32 PM
Video would be great. Your oil return looks real good. Are you still planning on putting it on the dyno?

Who is tuning the car again? Yourself? Are you using t8suite?

Nice work! ;ol;

Yeah still planning on the dyno, I'm probably going to replace the fuel pump soon before a dyno run... still runs fine but sometimes it gets weird at idle, but it did that back when I had the 14T in, still on stock fuel pump.

And John at JZW Tuning

20Tsaabsteve
11th October 2013, 02:23 PM
Yeah you are probably near the limits of the stock fuel pump. I don't think that would cause idle issues though, maybe a dirty mass air flow or throttle body.

Tmarter
12th October 2013, 02:08 AM
Yeah you are probably near the limits of the stock fuel pump. I don't think that would cause idle issues though, maybe a dirty mass air flow or throttle body.

It's rough cold starting, but that could be because of the E85, and because the spark plug gap is tighter than :o but both the TB and all the sensors are cleaned religiously...

although I could make a project out of cleaning out the intake and exhaust manifolds and do a port/polish...I know the intake manifold has seen better days. But the next time I get 2 days off I'll tear into that and clean it all up. Regardless I know it's going to need a new pump sooner or later... it's at 136k so it technically should've been replaced by now anyways

pacotaco
5th November 2013, 09:37 PM
tmarter read your pm, need an answer asap.

Tmarter
6th November 2013, 02:00 AM
tmarter read your pm, need an answer asap.

Got you covered, pm'd you back

So another update...don't have any pics unfortunately bc my phone was dead :evil:

Just threw in a Jay Racing 341lph fuel pump ;ol; should be a lot better than the stock one, especially looking at the filter bag at the end of the OE pump after it was out...all kinds of crud in it. We'll see how she starts in the morning, see if the better pump makes it easier on bone cold starts with e-85...

Also, you can all kick me for finally saying this...Pretty sure that the synchronic BOV isn't quite working out. Never had much of an issue until the bigger turbo went in, but it wants to idle leaner, and if left idling, it will slowly get leaner until its in the 20's and wants to die...not good. Think it's seeing the vented air from the BOV as a leak, and wants to try and compensate for that. Even have an anti stall kit on the valve that keeps air from going in the valve when it opens at idle...no boost or vac leaks. 99% positive it's the BOV.

I'll hopefully be working on making a custom hard intake with another port that I can use to recirculate the Synchronic...it's still an awesome design and works great, but it would be too much extra work to make a blow-thru MAF system to keep it VTA...would rather keep that than the stock diaphragm style BPV, especially with the high boost where it can rip and cause a leak.

Also did a cylinder compression [email protected] 141,000mi
#1 180
#2 187
#3 190
#4 195
;ol;

Gah3535
6th November 2013, 03:01 AM
It's very hard to do - fwd is one hurdle, and the small tires is another hurdle. The front suspension just isn't set up for hard acceleration; the shocks and spring rates are all wrong, and if you try putting wider tires on the front and launch hard on a concrete strip, you're liable to shatter the half shafts (or at least blow the CV joints), plus when you launch the weight shifts to the rear, further hindering launches. It doesn't matter how much torque you can make if you can't reliably put power to the ground. Oh, and the torque steer SAAB engineers worked hard to minimize? It'll be back with a vengeance!

The best suspension for the strip is a live axle; it's strong, less prone to wheel hop, and easy to control.

With XWD it might be very possible to get into the 12s or even 11s - if the transaxle+transfer case can handle the stress. It might not live long though. How is parts availability for Haldex components now?

Jeremy Clarkson is right - there is no one aspect of performance quantifiably great about a SAAB but you just can't get that stupid smile off your face while driving one.

I'm after a reasonably quick 0-60 - or 0-65 really (not like the stock snooze-inducing 7-8 seconds the stock tune delivers), and a really blistering 35-80 for merging and passing. :D Beyond that, meh. It's a low end to mid range luxury car that's fun to drive.

If I were a betting man. My money would be on tmarter and or PacoTaco reaching 13's .

pacotaco
6th November 2013, 10:09 AM
If I were a betting man. My money would be on tmarter and or PacoTaco reaching 13's .

mine is def in the 13's but i think my clutch is going to blow up, but my turbo might before the clutch does.

John Z Williams
6th November 2013, 01:29 PM

I have a 10.5 FWD Saab at 140mph in the 1/4 :-)

John Z Williams
6th November 2013, 01:32 PM
One thing you do need to drag race is a good working clutch ! Getting it out of the hole strong will wipe out a clutch quick.

Lots of things can be done for drag racing, its more about set up than the actual power in my opinion. Tires, size and compound are a huge factor, weight, fuel all play a part. I never like to race any of my cars on pump gas. I always want either e85 or a mix of race gas and pump gas.

John

Norm95
7th November 2013, 07:29 AM

Plus some crazy 1/4 mph trap speeds!

Tmarter
7th November 2013, 09:30 PM
After all the work I would at least hope it would be in the 13's if anything...lol but we'll see...plan on getting a LSD when I can afford it...that would be a huge difference especially for the 60ft.

Although the actaul diff + everything you need is going to be an expensive job...then there's the idea of putting a LSD in a stock trans with a lot of miles...hmmmmm damn I wish my pockets were full.

Donations for the Tmarter trust fund???

20Tsaabsteve
23rd December 2013, 09:57 PM
Well... Updates?

Tmarter
27th December 2013, 12:14 AM
Sorry, been extremely busy lately and all my projects have been on hold for awhile...

Just landed a new job as a Jaguar Tech, and will also be sent away to Atlanta for a year of training here soon...;ol;

But other than that nothing much is new... once things calm down, I'll have to see what else is going on, but I'm also not sure If I'll be able to bring the Saab with me while I'm away for training......If they are giving me a loaner while I'm down there it could possibly go up FS/FT...

iwantorangejuice
9th May 2016, 12:23 PM
sorry for reviving an old thread but is this still happening? I haven't seen anything about it recently or at any point during my time on SC...

Diggs
9th May 2016, 12:26 PM
Tmarter
Last Activity: 21st February 2015