Swedespeed7's 2009 9-3 Turbo4 "Tally" [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Swedespeed7's 2009 9-3 Turbo4 "Tally"

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

swedespeed7
11th June 2013, 12:42 AM
Finally got around to this. This is a list of everything I've done to my car since purchased new from the dealer in 2010. Feel free to comment or ask questions.

Overview

- 2009 SAAB 9 Turbo4 SportSedan
- Automatic 5-speed Transmission
- Snow Silver Metallic
- Comfort and Cold Weather Packages
- Purchased new in 2010

Under The Hood

- JZW Stage 2 tune (previously Stage 3+ E85 w/bigger injectors, 3" turbo-back)
- Custom dual exhaust using OEM Aero V6 mufflers and 4 inch angle-cut round Vibrant exhaust tips (logo-free)
- Magnaflow center resonator
- Single electronic exhaust cutout (DMH) with heavy duty rocker switch in seat trim
- AEM UEGO Wideband/Boost failsafe gauge
- Mishimoto Z-line FMIC w/silicone hoses and stainless t-bolt clamps
- GS anodized black brake fluid cap
- Mobil 1 0w-40 synthetic and NGK BCPR7ES plugs gapped to 0.9mm

Suspension

- Koni Yellow Sport adjustable struts/shocks
- H&R sport springs (lowered front 1.4 inches, rear 1.3 inches)
- SPC EZ camber bolts

Wheel and Tire

- Miro 112 / 19x8.5 / 5x110 / ET32 wheels with 245/35/R19 Continental Extreme Contact DW tires
- SAAB ALU50 17x7 wheels/Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 snow tires
- Akebono pads, Brembo rotors, ATE fluid

Exterior

- Auto dimming side mirror retrofit
- TRS 5000K HID conversion with hidden Morimoto Canbus 35W ballasts, XB-35 H11 bulbs, 3" clear TRS lenses
- Plastidipped orange corner reflectors Anthracite
- TRS fog light 5000K V2 COB LED halo rings w/plastic diffuser cases
- Anti-tailgater white bulbs installed to rear fogs
- OEM front fog light kit
- Tailgater rear warning LEDs with mini strobe controller on dash
- CREE 25-watt LEDs (50-watt total) retrofitted into reverse lights with relay retrofit
- 25-watt amber CREE LEDs in front and rear turn signals with relay retrofit
- Tunerdomes license plate festoon LEDs with relay retrofit
- Hirsch rear exhaust diffuser
- Hirsch front splitters in body color
- SAAB accessory front lip spoiler
- 2012 SAAB Griffin rear lip spoiler
- Updated OEM rear badging , Hirsch badges, all Plastidipped Anthracite
- Painted brake calipers and rotor hats high-temp silver
- WeatherTech LampGard protection film on headlights and foglights
- Custom honeycomb mesh upper and lower grills
- Paint-matched windshield washer nozzles
- LED puddle lamps under side skirts (5 each side)
- PIAA EuroSport horns
- Train horns with dedicated air compressor in trunk

Interior

- Re-configured headlight switch to Auto/parking lights/ON
- Disabled seatbelt chime at startup
- "Shaved" front door lock pulls
- Disabled TPMS
- Rear window "express-up" retrofit
- Painted interior trim metallic silver
- OEM SAAB manual shift boot
- All interior lights replaced with pure white LEDs
- Green LED conversion for cigarette lighter backlighting
- Custom green accent LEDs in front door handles and pockets
- Green security system LED
- Custom Valentine 1 concealed color display in place of OnStar switchpack
- Hirsch interior leather kit (door handles, e-brake, smartslot cover)
- Maxpider 3D rubber mats
- Center vent modification = much easier removal

In-Car Entertainment

- PA20-GM interface with stock head unit
- Hidden bluetooth receiver, on at key OFF, Wireless OEM steering wheel controls
- JL 10? sub in custom cubby box fiberglass enclosure (made by fellow SC member!) + JL 250W mono amp
- Infinity Reference 3002CFX front dash speakers
- Dynamat on all 4 doors and door panels
- Foam sound deadening in parcel shelf, C-pillars, headliner

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-yICPJiCMntk/U5veTfwaBMI/AAAAAAAADFs/7G25OgXQcVc/s1024/_DSC6418_19_20_tonemapped.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-qYf3L_Xn-P0/U5veMPg2PuI/AAAAAAAADFs/-g58QGskxdI/s1024/_DSC6413.JPG

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/--3nMMfGiUJw/U6Ebzw9Y0mI/AAAAAAAADG0/i_lwZYtcytc/s1024/_DSC6407fxd.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-yivkt7X1q1o/U5vdmSie7cI/AAAAAAAADFs/pt72JvrEhqo/s1024/_DSC6374.JPG

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-fV9Bji8BQ8o/U5vhBb_kWMI/AAAAAAAADFs/DwrMH2Gfc_M/s1024/_DSC6358fxd.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-E0hJ_MxxSW4/UbaiCpQWiGI/AAAAAAAAFhY/wZ_qhqbbJpY/s720/_DSC1153.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-qRACkcLAJsA/UbahYORsLkI/AAAAAAAAE3Q/_6YNCzripGE/s720/_DSC4661.JPG

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-S84iseXeQcw/UbanMPA547I/AAAAAAAAF-I/xjGtRTlWLNY/s720/_DSC4731.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-7WHQjDyzvOs/UfsJJ49HGeI/AAAAAAAABIQ/IW3WcDL1wRI/s512/_DSC4961.JPG

MarkoPoloo
11th June 2013, 01:17 AM
love it man!

berkeleydojah
11th June 2013, 05:33 AM
questions about these upgrades:

Re-configured headlight switch to OFF/Auto/parking lights/ON
Disabled seatbelt chime at startup
All interior lights replaced with LEDs
Custom green accent LEDs in front door panels/handles
USASpec iPod interface (can control iPod from stock radio, also charges iPod)

how did you reconfigure the headlight switch to off? i would LOVE to do that for mine i think its POINTLESS to waste the life on it and having it on during the day. i must know how you got this done!

and also how to disable the chime too!

and what exact interior lights were replaced? and can you link me the products please? as well as how you did the green accents on the doors! looks great!

and which ipod interface you bought for your saab. i have a 2011 saab 9-3 conv turbo4. i would like to get the bluetooth to work because i have the buttons on my steering wheel but no bluetooth....smh!

and for the fog light, do you need to buy the stock headlight switch WITH the front fog light button? and did you need an HID conversion kit ? thanks!
my car currently has NO fog lights.. idk if yours did or didnt either but do you have to cut out the plastic covering it? or pull out the fog light kit?

bparker5512
11th June 2013, 08:33 AM
Beautiful man. Looks great! I love the fogs. I would love to do that but have no idea what you did haha. Very very nice upgrades man I love it.

billm0066
11th June 2013, 08:36 AM
I sent you a pm, but others might want to know the info as well. How long ago did you order the Hirsch parts? Saabparts.net said they can get the front splitters for my aero, but they quoted 6-8 weeks. Did your's take that long, and are they attached with just 3m tape?

Nice photos and a great looking car. Nothing ricey and it looks stock to a non saab owner. Seeing the spoiler makes me wish my car has one *cough* Shuizzy *cough* :cheesy:

swedespeed7
11th June 2013, 09:54 AM
I sent you a pm, but others might want to know the info as well. How long ago did you order the Hirsch parts? Saabparts.net said they can get the front splitters for my aero, but they quoted 6-8 weeks. Did your's take that long, and are they attached with just 3m tape?

Nice photos and a great looking car. Nothing ricey and it looks stock to a non saab owner. Seeing the spoiler makes me wish my car has one *cough* Shuizzy *cough* :cheesy:

Hey thanks! I actually ordered all the Hirsch stuff about 2 years ago, just never got around to posting it up. They still took around 8 weeks to arrive though. Ordered through saabusaparts.com. And no, they don't attach with 3m tape, they use a special adhesive compound called Sika-Flex. It was a huge pain in the butt to get them aligned and cleaned up.

skyeagle
11th June 2013, 11:12 AM
Do you have a detailed step by step how you got your fogs to look like that??;ol;;ol;

g12mcgov
11th June 2013, 11:47 AM
Finally got around to this. This is a list of everything I've done to my car since purchased new from the dealer in 2010. All work done by myself. Feel free to comment or ask questions. Happy SAABing to everyone!

Slideshow to all pictures (https://picasaweb.google.com/116463082196298701935/Tally#slideshow/5888070912424272802)

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-FUA76-nghP4/UbahTtREMaI/AAAAAAAAAWU/2oGBuIwh81g/s1024/_DSC4645.JPG

So in this picture are those the Ace Alloy V12's or the SAAB ALU50 wheels?

swedespeed7
11th June 2013, 11:58 AM
So in this picture are those the Ace Alloy V12's or the SAAB ALU50 wheels?

ACE V12's

g12mcgov
11th June 2013, 12:00 PM
ACE V12's

Those are my top choice right now, where did you find the 5x110 bolt pattern? and I see the black center lug caps thing are missing. Did you remove them from the wheels (since they come stock on them)

swedespeed7
11th June 2013, 12:01 PM
Do you have a detailed step by step how you got your fogs to look like that??;ol;;ol;

I don't sorry. It was pretty straightforward though, just took a long time. I tapped into the eyebrow LED circuit for power. Painted the fog light covers high gloss black w/silver trim. Installed CCFL halos on outside of housing (85mm ring diameter fits perfectly over stock fog housing) using silicone glue. Weatherproofed whole thing and good to go!

swedespeed7
11th June 2013, 12:02 PM
love it man!

Thank you!

swedespeed7
11th June 2013, 12:03 PM
Those are my top choice right now, where did you find the 5x110 bolt pattern? and I see the black center lug caps thing are missing. Did you remove them from the wheels (since they come stock on them)

Custom ordered through discount tire direct. ACE custom drills each set to your bolt pattern. They don't carry stock since each order is custom (color, offset, bolt pattern, style).

And yes, the caps are OEM SAAB. Didn't like the spider-style ACE covers.

swedespeed7
11th June 2013, 12:05 PM
Beautiful man. Looks great! I love the fogs. I would love to do that but have no idea what you did haha. Very very nice upgrades man I love it.

Thanks!

swedespeed7
11th June 2013, 12:28 PM
OK haha lets see if I can answer all your questions.

questions about these upgrades:

Re-configured headlight switch to OFF/Auto/parking lights/ON
Disabled seatbelt chime at startup
All interior lights replaced with LEDs
Custom green accent LEDs in front door panels/handles
USASpec iPod interface (can control iPod from stock radio, also charges iPod)

how did you reconfigure the headlight switch to off? i would LOVE to do that for mine i think its POINTLESS to waste the life on it and having it on during the day. i must know how you got this done!

Must be done with a GM Tech 2 diagnostic computer. And actually, I drive with my headlights on all the time, even during bright sunny days. It's a SAAB safety feature that I got used to back when I owned 9000's, OG9-3s. I just programmed it so that I could turn them off when parked in front of someone's house, etc.

and also how to disable the chime too!

Also done using GM Tech 2 diagnostic computer.

and what exact interior lights were replaced? and can you link me the products please? as well as how you did the green accents on the doors! looks great!

Website link is below. Prices and shipping is fair. Just type product numbers into search box and you'll find everything.

I spent a lot of time researching, measuring stock bulbs, and trying different bulbs and returning them to get the perfect combination while maintaining all the same color with these bulbs. All of these part numbers are the ones you want for the 9-3SS.

www.ledlight.com
(www.ledlight.com)

Part number, quantity, description:

64357, x 1, dome light for above rear seat area. Best bulb you can buy for this location.

78564, x 2, for front dome light ("map" light). Equally awesome.

47185, x 4, for door courtesy lights.

74237, x 1, for trunk light.

LED lights in door handles and door panels were custom. Drilled through back of panel and used very small green LEDs. Wired into circuit that illuminates door lock button.

and which ipod interface you bought for your saab. i have a 2011 saab 9-3 conv turbo4. i would like to get the bluetooth to work because i have the buttons on my steering wheel but no bluetooth....smh!

You may be able to retrofit a stock GM bluetooth unit to the car, but I have no idea how to do that. I just installed a Parrot CK-3100 in my wife's Viggen and it's BETTER than the SAAB OEM bluetooth for phone usage. Here is the iPod interface product link (I bet you this might work with an iPhone, but I haven't tried. If anyone's interested, I'll try hooking it up to my wife's iPhone. The only thing is that you wouldn't be able to use the car's microphone):

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_581PA20GM/USA-Spec-iPod-Interface-for-GM.html

And here's my review of the unit:

Works great in my 2009 Saab 9-3 w/Bose sound system. Yes, that's right, in my Saab. If you own a Saab 9-3 2007-2011, Bose system or not, this will work in your car (as long as you have XM radio, which I know was standard equipment for 2007-2009, not sure about 2010 and 2011). This will absolutely NOT work in a 2006 and older Saab 9-3. The factory head unit is a re-purposed, re-programmed, and re-trimmed version of the standard GM head unit that you find, for example, in a Chevy Silverado (Saab did this to cut costs). Installation is easy, just remove rear passenger trunk liner to expose the XM unit, plug in the USA Spec in between the car harness and the XM unit, run the iPod cable to the front center console. Crystal clear CD quality sound. I have had this for 2 years and I've compared the sound quality between the same song (USA Spec vs. physical CD in player), and I can't tell the difference. Allows you to control (and charge) the iPod from the factory head unit, or you have the option of controlling it from the iPod. Displays song title, artist, genre, etc., even scrolls if it's a longer title. Great solution if you're like me and wanted to keep the factory stereo look. See cons below for my 2 complaints.

Pros:
See above

Cons:

The biggest complaint, by far, is the inability to change the iPod tracks with the steering wheel controls. Whether or not this is because of USA Spec programming or GM programming, I don't know. If you try and use the steering wheel track change buttons, it changes the radio station and stops your music. So, you just use the track change buttons on the head unit. Second, the provided iPod cable is NOT long enough to run from the trunk to the front. You have to purchase an iPod extension cable.

and for the fog light, do you need to buy the stock headlight switch WITH the front fog light button? and did you need an HID conversion kit ? thanks!
my car currently has NO fog lights.. idk if yours did or didnt either but do you have to cut out the plastic covering it? or pull out the fog light kit?

For the fog lights, you need to buy the fog lights themselves, the headlight switch with the fog button, and the harness. You don't need to cut the plastic dummy covers, they just pop out. And I didn't put HIDs in because the lenses aren't projector lenses and I'm extremely against people putting HIDs into non-projector housings that end up blinding people on the road. The fog lights come with halogen bulbs, left them in there.

Hope that helps!

g12mcgov
11th June 2013, 01:16 PM
Custom ordered through discount tire direct. ACE custom drills each set to your bolt pattern. They don't carry stock since each order is custom (color, offset, bolt pattern, style).

And yes, the caps are OEM SAAB. Didn't like the spider-style ACE covers.

Yeah there's some other guy on the forums who also has the V12's on his navy blue aero and he ordered them through Discount Tire Direct as well.

I found them available on Car iD.com and they say they have them available but not sure if that is true... how much was it all and all excluding rubber?

and they look great btw

swedespeed7
11th June 2013, 01:19 PM
Yeah there's some other guy on the forums who also has the V12's on his navy blue aero and he ordered them through Discount Tire Direct as well.

I found them available on Car iD.com and they say they have them available but not sure if that is true... how much was it all and all excluding rubber?

and they look great btw

Thanks! I would never buy anything from Carid.com. I've had 2 very unpleasant experiences with them. Horrible 45 min wait times and horrible customer service. Stick with discount tire. Wheels, hubcentric rings, together was under $750 shipped. Great deal for some very nice + lightweight wheels.

skyeagle
11th June 2013, 01:23 PM
I don't sorry. It was pretty straightforward though, just took a long time. I tapped into the eyebrow LED circuit for power. Painted the fog light covers high gloss black w/silver trim. Installed CCFL halos on outside of housing (85mm ring diameter fits perfectly over stock fog housing) using silicone glue. Weatherproofed whole thing and good to go!

Do you have a close up picture on the foglights that way I know what to work with? Did you remove the stock foglight assembly like the plastic glass?

Thanks!

g12mcgov
11th June 2013, 01:25 PM
Thanks! I would never buy anything from Carid.com. I've had 2 very unpleasant experiences with them. Horrible 45 min wait times and horrible customer service. Stick with discount tire. Wheels, hubcentric rings, together was under $750 shipped. Great deal for some very nice + lightweight wheels.

Holy sh** under $750 shipped?? That is incredible..

swedespeed7
11th June 2013, 01:29 PM
No, you don't need to disassemble the fog lights at all. You just glue the ring on the outside of the housing, then drill a small hole to run the wiring through. Doesn't involve the actual fog lights at all. I don't have any close-ups of the rings, sorry.

berkeleydojah
11th June 2013, 02:12 PM
i actually found the LED lights for saab on car id. made the purchase!

swedespeed7
11th June 2013, 02:14 PM
i actually found the LED lights for saab on car id. made the purchase!

Again, really don't recommend carid.com due to past experiences, but to each his own.

Diggs
11th June 2013, 02:46 PM
Looks awesome! Question about your LEDs. Do they strobe (interior or exterior?)

berkeleydojah
11th June 2013, 02:49 PM
im gonna give car id a shot. since they do have all the lights for saab and the simplicity of the website is straightforward. ill let you know how they deal with me

swedespeed7
11th June 2013, 02:52 PM
Looks awesome! Question about your LEDs. Do they strobe (interior or exterior?)

No they do not strobe because I retrofitted LED relays. Interior LEDs never strobe anyway, only the exteriors will strobe without relays.

skyeagle
11th June 2013, 06:43 PM
No, you don't need to disassemble the fog lights at all. You just glue the ring on the outside of the housing, then drill a small hole to run the wiring through. Doesn't involve the actual fog lights at all. I don't have any close-ups of the rings, sorry.

Sorry for bugging you again with the fog lights, where did you purchase the CCFL halos from if you don't mind me asking? I want to do this project, but want to make sure I am purchasing everything correctly.

Thanks!

swedespeed7
11th June 2013, 08:58 PM
Sorry for bugging you again with the fog lights, where did you purchase the CCFL halos from if you don't mind me asking? I want to do this project, but want to make sure I am purchasing everything correctly.

Thanks!

OK, well, I feel like it will help to read the whole story:

I purchased them originally from eBay, but then learned the hard way that 99% of the aftermarket CCFL halo ring kits sold are only designed to be used inside a headlight housing. If you install them on the outside, water will eventually seep in and turn the cathode this nasty yellow, and then the ring will fail completely. Same story for LED halo rings, except they'll skip the yellowing step and just fail completely. In order to install them on the outside, they must be weatherproofed. 99% of the halo kits are cathodes placed inside a plastic textured clear housing, which is then "sealed" from behind with a metal or plastic ring. This "open-system" design allows moisture to seep into the cathode chamber. The other concern when using CCFLs is that the ballast powering the ring and the ballast-to-ring connections must also be 100% sealed from the elements, even though they aren't in sight. Otherwise, the rings will fail. Trust me, I've spent way too much time correcting my mistakes!

The solution is a resin-dipped CCFL ring, which is done by hand and takes a fair amount of skill/expertise/time. A true "closed system". The rings are set up, placed in amine-based resin, left to sit overnight, and then checked on in the morning to see where it leaked over, bubbled up, or collapsed. The amines are messy and not very stable for reliable production, so there is potential to "fail" out in trial and error. Which is why most places shy away from resin-dipped rings. But, when done right, this completely seals the cathode from the elements (although I have had 1 fail due to a flying rock from the road).

Removing/installing the rings/ballasts takes about 2-3 hours per side, which includes bumper removal, fog trim/light removal, drilling, ring placement and adhesive setting, installation, and electrical work. Quite a bit of work, but it was worth it to me since I love the uniqueness factor. I've never seen another car on the road with fog halos (although I did see a rusted 90's Dodge Grand Caravan with some LED version halos once, not a great look :nono;). I've seen a few pictures on the web of fog halos, but not many. It also requires that your fog light housing be circular, as they are on 2008-2011 9-3s.

As far as where to get a resin/hand-dipped CCFL halo kit, I had to do lots of research and call around, but I finally found a place that does it (or at least used to do it on a regular basis, they've since stopped offering it on a regular basis since the guy who does the dipping is no longer around/sometimes? around). After I had 1 fail due to a rock chip, I had to wait a good few months for someone to do the resin dipping and send out replacements. The company is called Retro Solutions and is based on the East Coast. Here (http://retro-solutions.net/cmspage.php?page_id=8) is their contact page. Best of luck!

Moosepuck
12th June 2013, 08:22 AM
:o Wow, very nicely done. I believe that's the best looking SS I've ever seen.

bparker5512
12th June 2013, 08:30 AM
How did you disable TPMS completely?

Also, where are you located? I'd be willing to pay you to do my lights..

billm0066
12th June 2013, 09:22 AM
How did you disable TPMS completely?

Also, where are you located? I'd be willing to pay you to do my lights..

Tech 2

https://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=250950

I have it saved because I will be getting this done as well.

bparker5512
12th June 2013, 09:27 AM
Tech 2

https://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=250950

I have it saved because I will be getting this done as well.

Thanks man. Like your sig btw haha

swedespeed7
12th June 2013, 10:19 AM
If you guys are ever in Chicago, PM me and I'll do anything Tech II/CANdi/TIS2000 related for free or very cheap, depending on how much time I have!

swedespeed7
12th June 2013, 11:53 AM

Thanks Moosepuck, very kind words!

g12mcgov
12th June 2013, 11:59 AM

It's the rims dude. It's because they look so close to the hirsch wheels.

meisme33
12th June 2013, 04:33 PM
Can we get some shots of the interior painted parts?

swedespeed7
12th June 2013, 04:46 PM
Can we get some shots of the interior painted parts?

As requested! Link (https://picasaweb.google.com/116463082196298701935/Trim#slideshow/5888699380804244258) to before and after slideshow.

Pain in the butt getting the door trim pieces off. They are plastic-welded to the panels. Easiest part was the shifter surround. Glovebox isn't too bad. 2 coats of primer (paint will not adhere to factory trim finish), 3-4 coats of Duplicolor Metallic Silver pain (matches door handles and shifter top.

Couldn't justify spending upwards of $500 for OEM metallic trim, so I painted instead and turned out pretty well. Plus I can always repaint if needed, but no scratches yet!

swedespeed7
13th June 2013, 12:45 AM
Well, here's the latest update. Tirerack sent out a recall bulletin for FSDs that are installed in conjunction with lowering springs. Turns out the FSD kit for our cars will wear out a lot faster when used with lower springs. After almost a year with the FSDs, Tire Rack/KONI is recalling the struts and having me swap for new Bilstein B6 HDs. Should fix the bottoming out/suspension slam that I get when driving over highway dips and taking hard on-ramps.

Just an FYI for anyone else with FSDs and lowering springs. You'd have to get in contact with whomever you purchased them through and take it from there if you wanted to pursue. Also, FSDs work fine with OEM springs. FSDs also work fine with several other lowering spring applications (other cars), just not officially on the Saab 9-3.

meisme33
13th June 2013, 07:13 AM
A) interior bits look good! B) doesn't it say everywhere that FSDs aren't to be used with lowering springs? Was tire rack telling people otherwise?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App (http://www.autoguide.com/mobile)

swedespeed7
13th June 2013, 11:35 AM
A) interior bits look good! B) doesn't it say everywhere that FSDs aren't to be used with lowering springs? Was tire rack telling people otherwise?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App (http://www.autoguide.com/mobile)

Yes, these disclaimers can now be seen. At my time of purchase, I called and spoke with a KONI North America tech directly who told me I could most definitely use the FSDs with the H&R lowering springs. Tirerack told me the same thing. I guess they changed their mind!

Diggs
13th June 2013, 12:20 PM
Interesting. A Koni rep came through here many years ago and said not to pair with lowering springs (which is why I went with yellows). See post 23:

https://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84483&highlight=koni

swedespeed7
13th June 2013, 12:28 PM
Interesting. A Koni rep came through here many years ago and said not to pair with lowering springs (which is why I went with yellows). See post 23:

https://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84483&highlight=koni

Yikes. How on earth did I miss this post??? I thought I had done my research, but apparently not. Have no idea why KONI told me it would be okay. Thanks.

SAABalingus
13th June 2013, 12:42 PM
Thank you!

If you use the USASpec In between the XM module, do you lose the use of your XM radio or can u toggle between the 2? Just asking cuz I love my satellite radio.

Gs04aero
13th June 2013, 01:01 PM
I believe if you call Koni and talk to them they will tell you that it's ok to lower on the FSD's. Someone just posted about that a few weeks ago I remember. Something about our cars not being included on the "do not lower" list ha.

g12mcgov
13th June 2013, 01:12 PM
Considering the lamborghini gallardo comes stock with Koni FSD's I think you're all good.

swedespeed7
13th June 2013, 01:19 PM
If you use the USASpec In between the XM module, do you lose the use of your XM radio or can u toggle between the 2? Just asking cuz I love my satellite radio.

Yes, XM radio still works.

Diggs
13th June 2013, 02:03 PM
I've seen enough posts of people unhappy with FSD+lowering springs that I decided against it. One guy is on his 3rd pair I believe because they keep failing. Not once has anyone complained about the yellows. I get no such bottoming out/suspension slam.

g12mcgov
13th June 2013, 02:05 PM
I've seen enough posts of people unhappy with FSD+lowering springs that I decided against it. One guy is on his 3rd pair I believe because they keep failing. Not once has anyone complained about the yellows. I get no such bottoming out/suspension slam.

This is why i went with the Koni Yellows. I did tons of research and came close to FSD's but I wanted the stiffer, more aggressive feel (for handling purposes) and they seemed like a better product overall. Plus the Yellows were designed to handle lowering springs.

swedespeed7
13th June 2013, 02:40 PM
This is why i went with the Koni Yellows. I did tons of research and came close to FSD's but I wanted the stiffer, more aggressive feel (for handling purposes) and they seemed like a better product overall. Plus the Yellows were designed to handle lowering springs.

I'd go for the Yellows but I think the Bilsteins will do just as well. Tire Rack doesn't sell KONI Yellows and they're giving me the Bilsteins at cost.

g12mcgov
13th June 2013, 02:45 PM

If you can afford the extra cost, get the yellows. They're adjustable which is nice and I have read on other forums they are a more aggressive shock designed with improved handling more in mind. Besides, I think GS is having their annual sale on Konis right now. (yeah I know lots of people hating on GS lately) but that's where I got mine. I paid about $800 they're on sale for about $586 right now great deal

9-3gotboostAERO
13th June 2013, 03:08 PM
(yeah I know lots of people hating on GS lately)

Hating on GS and Fed up with GS lack of customer service plus all around Bullspit are two completely different things...

g12mcgov
13th June 2013, 03:10 PM
Hating on GS or Fed up with GS lack of customer service and all around Bullspit are two completely different things...

I'm definitely not a fan of them either or their awful customer service, though I have ordered a lot of stuff from them over the years and their special on the Konis is a great deal so yeah just putting it out there. lol Don't get me wrong by no means am I on the GS bandwagon but let's not open up that argument here haha

Diggs
13th June 2013, 03:14 PM
I think the Bilstein's will be just as good and if buying at cost I'd go for it. I bought my yellows from shox.com. Same price, no hassles (not that I've had any with GS).

9-3gotboostAERO
13th June 2013, 03:15 PM
Diggs- I read that before you edited, i was like wtf is shix.com? lol

mcgov- Agreed

swedespeed7
13th June 2013, 05:21 PM
OK so what do you guys think?

Bilsteins (normally $675 shipped but I'm getting them for $550 shipped because of the recall/warranty)

or

KONI Yellows ($615 shipped (currently 20% off) from shox.com)?

g12mcgov
13th June 2013, 07:17 PM
OK so what do you guys think?

Bilsteins (normally $675 shipped but I'm getting them for $550 shipped because of the recall/warranty)

or

KONI Yellows ($615 shipped (currently 20% off) from shox.com)?

Koni's. get em while they're cheap and splurge the extra $65

swedespeed7
13th June 2013, 08:11 PM
Koni's. get em while they're cheap and splurge the extra $65

What's the rationale for getting the Konis instead of the Bilsteins?

swedespeed7
13th June 2013, 08:33 PM
Nevermind, just spoke with a suspension mastermind at shox.com (Mark). He advised to go with the Koni Yellows, so that's what I'll be doing. Thanks guys.

Anthony1s
19th June 2013, 10:21 PM
swedespeed7, Can you link me to where you got the leather door handles, smartslot, and e-brake?

Also, what's the added switch on your seat do?

swedespeed7
19th June 2013, 10:31 PM
swedespeed7, Can you link me to where you got the leather door handles, smartslot, and e-brake?

Also, what's the added switch on your seat do?

It's the Hirsch Leather Interior Kit, which is unfortunately no longer made by Hirsch (discontinued). I bought it here (http://www.saabusaparts.com/product-p/880008300.htm), you might try emailing them to see if it's still available. Well actually I didn't buy it, my wife got it for my birthday!

The rocker switch on the seat panel is how I open and close my electric exhaust Y-pipe. When I want the car loud and throaty, I open the valve. When I want the car quiet, I close it.

Anthony1s
19th June 2013, 10:39 PM
It's the Hirsch Leather Interior Kit, which is unfortunately no longer made by Hirsch (discontinued). I bought it here (http://www.saabusaparts.com/product-p/880008300.htm), you might try emailing them to see if it's still available. Well actually I didn't buy it, my wife got it for my birthday!

The rocker switch on the seat panel is how I open and close my electric exhaust Y-pipe. When I want the car loud and throaty, I open the valve. When I want the car quiet, I close it.

Wow. $460 for that. You have a great wife. Maybe I can find an upholsterer that can do it for cheaper. Definitely something I wanna do to mine.

swedespeed7
20th June 2013, 12:01 AM
Wow. $460 for that. You have a great wife. Maybe I can find an upholsterer that can do it for cheaper. Definitely something I wanna do to mine.

I don't think it was quite so expensive at time of purchase, definitely under $400. Something I'd never buy for myself though ;)

Another route you can go is vinyl. A lot of members here have vinyl-wrapped their handles/smart slot/e-brake covers with carbon-fiber vinyl, etc. A lot cheaper, too. All you need is a hairdryer.

Anthony1s
20th June 2013, 02:07 AM
I don't think it was quite so expensive at time of purchase, definitely under $400. Something I'd never buy for myself though ;)

Another route you can go is vinyl. A lot of members here have vinyl-wrapped their handles/smart slot/e-brake covers with carbon-fiber vinyl, etc. A lot cheaper, too. All you need is a hairdryer.

Yea, I have a bunch of vinyl samples I bought for my computer. Used to think maybe gold vinyl wrap would look good over the metallic grey accents. (I have a Parchment '07 Aero) - Leather over the handles, e-brake, and smart slot is still classier... Found an auto upholster in my town. Gonna call them tomorrow.

weenrock
20th June 2013, 07:37 PM
Nice car! You gave me the inspiration to add the ccfl halo rings on my fogs!

Just to clarify, you have the OEM Saab halogen fog light kit and installed the CCFL over the foglight covers that surrounds the bulbs?

Did you buy the rings from retro and then had them protect them?

I assume you never use the fogs because it would look weird with the halogen bulb and ccfl right?

Also, what HID kit did you use? I ask because you have 5000k bulbs and wondering how close they match the ccfl above the headlights and the fog lights? 35w or 55w?

Cheers!

iksnoved25
20th June 2013, 08:03 PM

Just to clarify, you have the OEM Saab halogen fog light kit and installed the CCFL over the foglight covers that surrounds the bulbs?

I assume you never use the fogs because it would look weird with the halogen bulb and ccfl right?

Also, what HID kit did you use? I ask because you have 5000k bulbs and wondering how close they match the ccfl above the headlights and the fog lights? 35w or 55w?

Cheers!

I second everything he just said. Picked up a 2010 2.0T and wanna do the same. You're ride looks suh wheat.

swedespeed7
20th June 2013, 11:01 PM

Thanks! Let me know if you need any help. Just please do it right the first time and save yourself the headache!

Yes.

They did the resin dipping and I bought the CCFLs through them as well.

Does not look weird at all. The fog lights overpower the CCFLs anyway so you can't really tell they are there when fogs are on. I don't use my fog lights unless there is fog! (unlike many of today's fog light warriors)

I used a 35W HID kit with CANBUS circuitry. I've read that 50W HID gets too hot for many housings. Also, it's unnecessarily bright. More light isn't always better, it's the way the light is dispersed!

Cheers!

I second everything he just said. Picked up a 2010 2.0T and wanna do the same. You're ride looks suh wheat.

Thank you suh.:cheesy:

weenrock
21st June 2013, 12:17 AM
Thank you suh.:cheesy:

Gracies for the reply!

I am still debating on getting hids because they are not adaptive lights and worried on blinding people, and I guess just not looking good. But now that I think of it, I probably should get hids if I get the ccfl rings. Otherwise they probably will look bad with my oem halogens.

Ever notice the resin becoming a problem with clarity of the lights?

Cheers!

swedespeed7
21st June 2013, 12:29 AM
Gracies for the reply!

I am still debating on getting hids because they are not adaptive lights and worried on blinding people, and I guess just not looking good. But now that I think of it, I probably should get hids if I get the ccfl rings. Otherwise they probably will look bad with my oem halogens.

Ever notice the resin becoming a problem with clarity of the lights?

Cheers!

I don't think the adaptive xenon versions adapt to up/down, they just curve left/right when turning, which won't help you. I am immensely against blinding others and can't stand people who put HID retrofits into non-projector housings. Glare glare glare. I have NEVER been flashed by oncoming traffic while driving my car at night. I've even watched my car while driving my other Saab as my wife drove mine and there is not a single issue with the HIDs. Since our cars have projector housings, it's all good. I just changed to HIDs for the light output and the slightly whiter color.

All you need to do is make sure your headlights are adjusted properly and you're set.

weenrock
21st June 2013, 12:48 AM
[QUOTE=swedespeed7;2403697]I don't think the adaptive xenon versions adapt to up/down, they just curve left/right when turning, which won't help you. I am immensely against blinding others and can't stand people who put HID retrofits into non-projector housings. Glare glare glare. I have NEVER been flashed by oncoming traffic while driving my car at night. I've even watched my car while driving my other Saab as my wife drove mine and there is not a single issue with the HIDs. Since our cars have projector housings, it's all good. I just changed to HIDs for the light output and the slightly whiter color.

All you need to do is make sure your headlights are adjusted properly and you're set.[/QUOTE
Really? I thought that's how xenon lights are legal, because of the adaptive lights. Or it could be because they came from the factory. Awhile ago I looked for oem xenon headlights = $$$. Either way, I always assumed they are illegal. But because we have projectors, they are legal?

Who knows. I am still getting them now. Thanks for the tips!;ol;

iksnoved25
21st June 2013, 12:55 AM
[QUOTE=swedespeed7;2403697]I don't think the adaptive xenon versions adapt to up/down, they just curve left/right when turning, which won't help you. I am immensely against blinding others and can't stand people who put HID retrofits into non-projector housings. Glare glare glare. I have NEVER been flashed by oncoming traffic while driving my car at night. I've even watched my car while driving my other Saab as my wife drove mine and there is not a single issue with the HIDs. Since our cars have projector housings, it's all good. I just changed to HIDs for the light output and the slightly whiter color.

All you need to do is make sure your headlights are adjusted properly and you're set.[/QUOTE
Really? I thought that's how xenon lights are legal, because of the adaptive lights. Or it could be because they came from the factory. Awhile ago I looked for oem xenon headlights = $$$. Either way, I always assumed they are illegal. But because we have projectors, they are legal?

You'll be fine to put the hids in. People with civics put them in which blind drivers because they don't have the projector lenses on theirs. Just the bulb with the mirror behind it. We have the actual projector...the only difference between ours and stock hids are that the stock hids are bi-xenon, meaning one bulb(one behind projector) does high and low beam. Their projector moves to adjust wether it is high or low beam. Essentially just pick up a low beam kit and install into projectors. Keep the high beam as it currently is. Low beam will be xenon, high will be halogen.

iksnoved25
21st June 2013, 01:00 AM
So SweedSpeed...what you did was buy the halo kit and install (meaning they come dipped in that resin already), or did you have to have them do that custom?

" you have the OEM Saab halogen fog light kit and installed the CCFL over the foglight covers that surrounds the bulbs?

Yes."
The kit is installed on the OUTSIDE, correct?

Also, Do the rings come on when the headlights come on? fog lights come on? Separate button to turn them on/off?

You mentioned that when the fogs are on it over powers them..so my though was that they are on, when the fogs are-not on...then wondering How?

swedespeed7
21st June 2013, 01:06 AM

You should start a build page with pics so we can check out your car!

swedespeed7
21st June 2013, 01:08 AM
So SweedSpeed...what you did was buy the halo kit and install (meaning they come dipped in that resin already), or did you have to have them do that custom?

" you have the OEM Saab halogen fog light kit and installed the CCFL over the foglight covers that surrounds the bulbs?

Yes."

Also, Do the rings come on when the headlights come on? fog lights come on? Separate button to turn them on/off?

You mentioned that when the fogs are on it over powers them..so my though was that they are on, when the fogs are-not on...then wondering How?

Yes, the rings are on the outside. However, you and I have completely different cars. Isn't yours a 2003? If your car is a 2003, your fog lights are somewhat rectangular...

swedespeed7
21st June 2013, 01:13 AM

Yes."

Rings are always on unless headlight switch is in "AUTO" position and it's daylight OR car is in park. No separate button. Your last sentence doesn't make any sense to me, can you re-state?

billm0066
21st June 2013, 01:33 AM
You'll be fine to put the hids in. People with civics put them in which blind drivers because they don't have the projector lenses on theirs. Just the bulb with the mirror behind it. We have the actual projector...the only difference between ours and stock hids are that the stock hids are bi-xenon, meaning one bulb(one behind projector) does high and low beam. Their projector moves to adjust wether it is high or low beam. Essentially just pick up a low beam kit and install into projectors. Keep the high beam as it currently is. Low beam will be xenon, high will be halogen.

Not completely true. There are differences between the halogen projector and hid projector. The halogen projector does a good job of not blinding people (with an hid kit), but it does not perform as good as the HID version. Not enough to warrant me tearing open a set of lights to change them out, but it is noticeable.

Also the projector does not move for the hi beams. The shield moves up and down via a solenoid.

SAABalingus
21st June 2013, 03:18 AM
I don't think the adaptive xenon versions adapt to up/down, they just curve left/right when turning, which won't help you.

All you need to do is make sure your headlights are adjusted properly and you're set.

Actually they do go up/down as well as left and right. Mine do anyway, I think it's part of the auto leveling feature.

SAABalingus
21st June 2013, 03:21 AM
[quote=iksnoved25;2403769]

Not completely true. There are differences between the halogen projector and hid projector. The halogen projector does a good job of not blinding people (with an hid kit), but it does not perform as good as the HID version. Not enough to warrant me tearing open a set of lights to change them out, but it is noticeable.

Also the projector does not move for the hi beams. The shield moves up and down via a solenoid.

You're right. When I swapped my OEM halogen e55's out for the OEM E55 xenons in my '04, you could definitely see in a side by side that the xenon projector was much better made. And the beam pattern was much better, the optics of the reflector are better.

iksnoved25
21st June 2013, 10:12 AM
[quote=iksnoved25;2403769]

Wait...what part wasn't completely true? Yeah you'll be fine to put them in, but obviously they won't perform as good because they aren't bixenon. Lots of people have put hids in halogen projectors but yes, they won't do both hi and low beam as well as auto level and turn when you drive.

If it is as easy as it was to put in hids in a pre-facelift fog housing, it isn't that hard. Just a matter of wireing.

berkeleydojah
22nd June 2013, 07:00 AM
Again, really don't recommend carid.com due to past experiences, but to each his own.

your right. i had them shipped, not only were they a HUGE hassle to barely fit, they were strobing.. can you help me identify why the lights do that? even when they arent being used they just tend to flash...

billm0066
22nd June 2013, 08:12 AM
Wait...what part wasn't completely true? Yeah you'll be fine to put them in, but obviously they won't perform as good because they aren't bixenon. Lots of people have put hids in halogen projectors but yes, they won't do both hi and low beam as well as auto level and turn when you drive.

If it is as easy as it was to put in hids in a pre-facelift fog housing, it isn't that hard. Just a matter of wireing.

Putting an HID kit in halogen projectors will not perform as good as the factory HID projectors. It wont blind people if properly aimed, but the output wont match the oem HID version. I am not talking about them being bi xenon or not. I am referencing low beam output only.

swedespeed7
22nd June 2013, 11:51 AM
Putting an HID kit in halogen projectors will not perform as good as the factory HID projectors. It wont blind people if properly aimed, but the output wont match the oem HID version. I am not talking about them being bi xenon or not. I am referencing low beam output only.

I'd have to disagree with you on the light output. At one point, I had both a 2008 Aero vert w/factory xenons and my 2.0T with aftermarket HIDs in halogen projector housings and I couldn't tell the difference in light output. Just my opinion.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-hExeBHajgWM/UcXGWhteR2I/AAAAAAAAA20/rrMCbf26EJ8/s1024/_DSC6227.JPG

swedespeed7
22nd June 2013, 11:55 AM
your right. i had them shipped, not only were they a HUGE hassle to barely fit, they were strobing.. can you help me identify why the lights do that? even when they arent being used they just tend to flash...

Have you read this thread?

https://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167350

swedespeed7
22nd June 2013, 12:23 PM
Forgot to mention I put a set of WeatherTech LampGards on my headlights and fogs. Nice, thick, invisible protection film that will stop flying rocks and scratches in their tracks! Great stuff. Had it on my 9k Aeros too.

http://www.weathertech.com/saab/2009/9-3/lampgard/

Also added a set of PIAA Sport Horns 500Hz/600Hz yesterday. Also put a set on the Viggen. Much improved sound, nice high-tone European sound and MUCH louder. I had tested out a set of Wolo air horns I had laying around a few months ago but eventually took them off. The PIAAs fit perfectly in factory locations (1 behind grille, 1 behind passenger fog/below intake). No wiring modifications or relays needed. Preferred the sound of the PIAAs to the Hella Supertones, which would be the alternative. Shout-out to Grant (g12mcgov) for details about his Hella install, thanks Grant! If you live in a crazy city with millions of distracted drivers all crammed together, I highly recommend!

PIAA Sports Horn: http://www.amazon.com/85112-115db-500HZ-600HZ-Sports/dp/B00079V5ZI

Hella Supertone: http://www.amazon.com/HELLA-003399803-Supertone-High-Tone/dp/B0030YWM0Y/?tag=5336714586-20

billm0066
23rd June 2013, 01:08 AM
I'd have to disagree with you on the light output. At one point, I had both a 2008 Aero vert w/factory xenons and my 2.0T with aftermarket HIDs in halogen projector housings and I couldn't tell the difference in light output. Just my opinion.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-hExeBHajgWM/UcXGWhteR2I/AAAAAAAAA20/rrMCbf26EJ8/s1024/_DSC6227.JPG

I've done retrofits on over a half dozen cars and have owned quite a few sets of each projector. Not a bad alternative and just about zero light above the cutoff, but the output wasn't quite as good. Good enough that I will be installing an HID kit in my wifes 08 after I buy a Tech 2 and change her car to xenon.

swedespeed7
23rd June 2013, 01:15 AM
I've done retrofits on over a half dozen cars and have owned quite a few sets of each projector. Not a bad alternative and just about zero light above the cutoff, but the output wasn't quite as good. Good enough that I will be installing an HID kit in my wifes 08 after I buy a Tech 2 and change her car to xenon.

You don't need to change the car to xenon in Tech 2, at least I didn't have to. Unless you are fitting factory xenon headlights?

swedespeed7
30th June 2013, 10:44 PM
FSDs came off, Koni Yellows went on with new SAAB spring supports. Huge difference noticed. The Yellows are amazingly comfortable yet firm and sporty. Very satisfied. Adjusted the rears 1 full turn tighter, fronts are on softest setting (this is my daily driver).

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-KdVYDaELwjk/UdDgqAUbjII/AAAAAAAAA58/NaNj93nFM3s/s1024/_DSC4808.JPG

Also installed the Mishimoto Z-line intercooler this weekend. No modifications needed. Removed stock intercooler, hooked up Mishimoto intercooler with 2 90 degree reducer elbows, good to go. No hose kinks at all. Immediate difference noticed under load in hotter temperatures. The pics don't show it, but I mounted the intercooler using the middle nut on the intercooler and bolted it to the bumper with a corner bracket and some zinc-plated hardware. Nice and tight. Got my turbo power back!!!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-gNmq5L11zTA/UdDgSwrvULI/AAAAAAAAA4U/0_0cR89gycE/s1024/_DSC4795.JPG

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-FTrLWfrLr78/UdDgSGwceII/AAAAAAAAA4I/yrwP12Ng_j8/s1024/_DSC4798.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-xgvhPkmK7hE/UdDgZAv-YCI/AAAAAAAAA4g/jgYYv3sBf4c/s1024/_DSC4800.JPG

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-keGHNAujXiY/UdDsnx9sdEI/AAAAAAAAA6w/qTpj8TVHmBg/s720/_DSC4805.jpg

9-3 AeroCombi
1st July 2013, 05:25 PM
Looks good how tough is it to get the bumper off on the facelift models?

swedespeed7
1st July 2013, 08:01 PM
Looks good how tough is it to get the bumper off on the facelift models?

Exceptionally easy. 2 Torx screws and 4 plastic push-to-release rivets on the top crossmember by the hood latch, 4 screws in each wheel well, remove wiring harness, remove and clamp washer fluid hose, take bumper cover off. Super easy compared to my old 9000.

g12mcgov
2nd July 2013, 01:17 AM
swede,

looks great! You really nailed it with that install job... looks very clean/well secured. I also love the SAAB flag in the background ;ol;

Glad to see another person running the Z-line.

swedespeed7
2nd July 2013, 10:47 AM
swede,

looks great! You really nailed it with that install job... looks very clean/well secured. I also love the SAAB flag in the background ;ol;

Glad to see another person running the Z-line.

Thanks Grant! Thanks again for your help with the hoses and clamps.

g12mcgov
2nd July 2013, 10:55 AM
Thanks Grant! Thanks again for your help with the hoses and clamps.

No problem!

But god... those wheels... I might have to come steal them from you. Still can't fathom how good they look.

swedespeed7
2nd July 2013, 11:16 AM
No problem!

But god... those wheels... I might have to come steal them from you. Still can't fathom how good they look.

Haha thanks. Super affordable through discount tire!

swedespeed7
4th July 2013, 07:50 PM
Quick pic of the intercooler:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-CpN8zMJH57A/UdDnfMXvlJI/AAAAAAAAA6Y/Nq1piZWXA3Q/s1024/_DSC4824.jpg

beotch
4th July 2013, 09:14 PM
Quick pic of the intercooler:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-CpN8zMJH57A/UdDnfMXvlJI/AAAAAAAAA6Y/Nq1piZWXA3Q/s1024/_DSC4824.jpg

So nice!

If everything goes well I will have those Halo's on my gay swede [email protected]!

dave

swedespeed7
15th July 2013, 04:32 PM
Going stage 3 this week, very excited. OBX downpipe, 3" turboback, and JZW tune (thanks again John!). Pics of updated exhaust soon!

g12mcgov
15th July 2013, 04:39 PM
Going stage 3 this week, very excited. OBX downpipe, 3" turboback, and JZW tune (thanks again John!). Pics of updated exhaust soon!

I will be awaiting those pics good lad :D

swedespeed7
15th July 2013, 04:42 PM
I will be awaiting those pics good lad :D

I'll have them up ASAP! I'm going to do the DP myself, do a quickie exhaust repair to connect to stock section, then have 3" pipe welded in on Saturday by my exhaust guy. Thanks again for your help!

swedespeed7
16th July 2013, 11:31 AM
It's a big week for Tally. Just ordered a passenger seat with electric motor so my passengers (especially my wife) can recline without inverting their arm. SAAB did a lot of things right, but the reclining "wheel" is just plain wrong!

Thanks to GTurner for being the guinea pig on the seat swap! Somehow I was able to get ahold of a seat from a 2009 junk car.

SovangW
17th July 2013, 07:52 PM
why are you swapping the fsd for koni yellows?

Ksamaran93V
17th July 2013, 11:37 PM
FSDs came off, Koni Yellows went on with new SAAB spring supports. Huge difference noticed. The Yellows are amazingly comfortable yet firm and sporty. Very satisfied. Adjusted the rears 1 full turn tighter, fronts are on softest setting (this is my daily driver).

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-KdVYDaELwjk/UdDgqAUbjII/AAAAAAAAA58/NaNj93nFM3s/s1024/_DSC4808.JPG

What springs are you using with the Koni Yellows?

swedespeed7
18th July 2013, 02:43 AM
why are you swapping the fsd for koni yellows?

read back a few pages

swedespeed7
18th July 2013, 02:44 AM
What springs are you using with the Koni Yellows?

H&R springs

swedespeed7
18th July 2013, 02:51 AM
OBX DP is in! Install wasn't that bad, I PB Blasted the turbo studs for a few nights and the nuts came off like butter. Unfortunately, when I cut the stock pipe just before the resonator, I didn't leave enough pipe and there was a bulge, so I couldn't fit the extension pipe to connect the OBX to the resonator. So, I'm going to drive the car w/open DP to the muffler shop tomorrow while sounding like a monster truck. I'm certainly going to get some stares!!!

Ksamaran93V
18th July 2013, 06:57 AM
H&R springs

how do you like the set up so far? im thinking of doing the same thing.

swedespeed7
18th July 2013, 08:06 AM
how do you like the set up so far? im thinking of doing the same thing.

Koni Yellow + H&R springs = best setup ever for me personally. Nice tight ride quality, not too jarring.

swedespeed7
18th July 2013, 10:58 AM
Everything is welded back up. Sounds great! Can't tell any difference between noise levels on stock DP vs. OBX, which I like very much. I can always open my cutout for more noise ;)

Getting the stock downpipe out was relatively easy, I did it mostly myself. I PB Blasted the turbo studs for a few nights before and the nuts came off like butter. That front lower nut was a pain, my ratcheting 13mm wrench wouldn't fit over the nut, so I used a 3/8 socket wrench, a very long extension, a 13mm shallow socket, and a 1/4" U-joint socket adapter. I fed the whole wrench setup through the coolant hoses and ended up turning the actual socket wrench a good 1.5 ft from the nut! Worked great though. To get the OBX in, I had my wife climb onto the engine (while the car was up in the air!) and guide the DP in with the doughnut ring in place as I fed the DP in from below and hung it on the hangers. I'm glad it's over!

I kept the stock resonator because I've already tried it without it and it's too droney for me. So the setup is OBX DP to stock resonator to dual Y-split/e-cutout to rear V6 Aero mufflers to 4" Vibrant tips. 3" piping for most of the exhaust.

New NGK BCPRES7 plugs and JZW stage 3 tune going in tonight! :)

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-hrpxNN2D8TI/Uef-3fy4wDI/AAAAAAAAA88/T1tahcRmNsA/s912/DSC00109%2520%25281%2529.JPG

EuroDriver
18th July 2013, 05:14 PM
Slick ride. Where did you source the intercooler from?

<<must resist modifications to the saab...>>

swedespeed7
18th July 2013, 07:26 PM
Slick ride. Where did you source the intercooler from?

<<must resist modifications to the saab...>>

Thanks!

Here is where I got the IC:

http://www.amazon.com/Mishimoto-MMINT-UZ-Universal-Intercooler-Line/dp/B00368PEHC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1374189963&sr=8-2&keywords=mishimoto+z-line

theSandySaab
19th July 2013, 06:22 AM
Hi Swede,
Nice thread, even nicer car.... Good Job! I wish i had the time and resources to spend on half of your upgrades. While I presently looking at upgrading the Head Unit, I do live in very hot part of the world and have been thinking of a more efficient intercooler to improve performance (with Vtuner). The Mishimoto looks really good, but wonder of you did any comparison between the stock OEM and the Mishimoto? Do you have any data for the OEM unit? Can you quantify the perceived difference?
Also, your leather interior looks really good. As Hirsch does not manufacture this anymore, I have just ordered these from Germany:
http://www.saabsunited.com/2013/05/brand-new-interior-leather-trim-for-saab-9-3-now-available.html
Keep posting, looks fantastic!

theSandySaab
19th July 2013, 08:00 AM
Just realized you have the 2.0T. I am looking for an iC for the 2.8T...
Not same, I guess...???

EuroDriver
19th July 2013, 12:48 PM
I actually was tempted to follow up with an engineering study I did for my first degree...and I have a digital datalogging manometer and data logging two channel k type thermocouple unit...

I did this study on my Volvo testing the stock air to air piece against a custom air to liquid unit I assembled...

I will have to look into the MM IC you posted for fun, at that price..it may be worth checking [and if not, I have another built turbo engine I purchased for my Volvo recently...should be fun!]

swedespeed7
19th July 2013, 02:06 PM
Hi Swede,
Nice thread, even nicer car.... Good Job! I wish i had the time and resources to spend on half of your upgrades. While I presently looking at upgrading the Head Unit, I do live in very hot part of the world and have been thinking of a more efficient intercooler to improve performance (with Vtuner). The Mishimoto looks really good, but wonder of you did any comparison between the stock OEM and the Mishimoto? Do you have any data for the OEM unit? Can you quantify the perceived difference?
Also, your leather interior looks really good. As Hirsch does not manufacture this anymore, I have just ordered these from Germany:
http://www.saabsunited.com/2013/05/brand-new-interior-leather-trim-for-saab-9-3-now-available.html
Keep posting, looks fantastic!

Thanks! I don't have any hard numbers to compare, sorry. I just definitely felt the difference in high ambient temps.

And that's pretty cool about the leather kit, I had no idea someone else was going to make them!

EuroDriver
19th July 2013, 02:31 PM
Also installed the Mishimoto Z-line intercooler this weekend. No modifications needed. Removed stock intercooler, hooked up Mishimoto intercooler with 2 90 degree reducer elbows, good to go. No hose kinks at all.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-gNmq5L11zTA/UdDgSwrvULI/AAAAAAAAA4U/0_0cR89gycE/s1024/_DSC4795.JPG

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-FTrLWfrLr78/UdDgSGwceII/AAAAAAAAA4I/yrwP12Ng_j8/s1024/_DSC4798.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-xgvhPkmK7hE/UdDgZAv-YCI/AAAAAAAAA4g/jgYYv3sBf4c/s1024/_DSC4800.JPG

So tempted to do this sooner than later after I was looking at the Amazon link...nice work.

Did you notice any "flimsy" charactersistics on the intercooler fins? I.e. were they extremely thin fins?

The intercooler seems to have some better quality on the end tank photos I have looked up instead of standard cheap ebay cores I have seen friends/others use on projects.

They also have this in black too for anyone looking, but the silver does look good and still stealth...since no on expects much from a Saab anyway [which is awesome] :)

swedespeed7
19th July 2013, 02:59 PM
So tempted to do this sooner than later after I was looking at the Amazon link...nice work.

Did you notice any "flimsy" charactersistics on the intercooler fins? I.e. were they extremely thin fins?

The intercooler seems to have some better quality on the end tank photos I have looked up instead of standard cheap ebay cores I have seen friends/others use on projects.

They also have this in black too for anyone looking, but the silver does look good and still stealth...since no on expects much from a Saab anyway [which is awesome] :)

Thanks! This intercooler is the real deal. I've purchased ETS intercoolers in the past for my 9000 Aeros and this one is just as solid of construction. Fins and end tanks are very high quality, welds are beatiful, even the packaging was triple-corrugated heavy duty cardboard haha. Good stuff.

Yeah I looked at the black one too but decided I'd like to see a bit of it.

swedespeed7
19th July 2013, 08:32 PM
Got the "electric" junkyard seat today. As you can see, it's not electric. :(

Plus it looks like crap. Poop. Try, try, try again I will.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-Plj-P1OiGyA/UenaIZNZaUI/AAAAAAAAA-M/rs9LMgiqOog/s640/photo%2520%25283%2529.JPG

swedespeed7
19th July 2013, 08:47 PM
Some more random pics for you guys:

Cool reflection of my car in a shiny Cadillac:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-iNdRYc9_ZYU/UenZLIdy8tI/AAAAAAAAA9k/3TJxs9mc5wc/s800/DSC00082.JPG

Winter setup, loaded with a crap ton of wood I used to build a workbench:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-rJZuA56gXJU/UenZlmT9SlI/AAAAAAAAA9s/ufUNIonWgWs/s800/DSC02666.JPG

Another winter setup shot, running stock suspension:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-T3MRHV6bw4Y/UenZs1kqf0I/AAAAAAAAA90/jJUMI3OoSSk/s800/DSC02321.JPG

Before the Hirsch diffuser and before the dual exhaust:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-TE5eUDj1FyY/UenZun_IprI/AAAAAAAAA98/mVTXFeDD3UI/s800/DSC02282.JPG

swedespeed7
19th July 2013, 09:28 PM
On the way back from some singletrack in Wisconsin:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-1bDdY5vKb_E/UencRkQjjQI/AAAAAAAAA-c/BdzfudZwqFQ/s1024/DSC_6857d.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-U0t0ZemU810/UencWZNV-lI/AAAAAAAAA-k/QSZ8caUsVJk/s1024/DSC_6858d.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-gbs-Z5VaFvQ/Uencc36hlKI/AAAAAAAAA-s/RlChmAped3Y/s1024/DSC_6859d.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-AWqcgwlsn2o/Uencgl-0kgI/AAAAAAAAA-0/PQGkIRBw1Oc/s1024/DSC_6861d.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-jjphJdAe1uI/UencrTsEyGI/AAAAAAAAA-8/oH3BnlriBPc/s1024/DSC_6883fixedd.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-j8oq_1D-Ssc/UencvWeICGI/AAAAAAAAA_E/nIfGlJOWjDg/s1024/DSC_6885df.jpg

swedespeed7
19th July 2013, 09:32 PM
Some SAAB "water landing" :cheesy: pics:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-hfJlk060Rzg/Uenc2nfSKsI/AAAAAAAAA_M/iGfn1HwNwRU/s1024/_DSC8788.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-myfndadSASY/Uenc_HXFidI/AAAAAAAAA_U/ji-fxuC8o9Q/s1024/_DSC8809.JPG

All of my old and silly license plates (again, I swear I didn't copy you Paco!):

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-5F-YF4l-zpE/UenaEq2gSvI/AAAAAAAAA-E/dMfJpYFdv5Q/s912/DSC02389.JPG

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-A9eY2wbvNms/UendSCEypNI/AAAAAAAAA_k/bXQ6CysBExg/s1024/_DSC3658.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-qkzS-dC3a64/UenoCiPkOSI/AAAAAAAAA_0/B9UCt_jtHQM/s590/IMG_0025.jpg

swedespeed7
19th July 2013, 09:33 PM
If you reply, please don't quote the pics, it just makes the thread messy!

swedespeed7
19th July 2013, 09:34 PM
JZW stage 3 tune is in and the car is a MONSTER. Even in 100 degree Chicago heat the thing still pulls like crazy! Can't wait for cooler temps. My BSR stage 1 tune (I know, not a direct comparison) felt like a golf cart compared to John's tune.

I highly recommend JZW for any of your tuning needs. John is very responsive to both calls and emails and never seemed bothered that I was contacting him, which is a first for me in the tuning world. The PPC is a really nice piece of hardware too. Thanks again John!

Also, the downpipe was tapping against the subframe, so I had it adjusted today. By the way, if anyone needs any exhaust work done in the Chicago area, this guy is the BEST. His name is Cesar and he runs/owns Victor Muffler, here (http://victormufflers.com/) is the info. Very meticulous and amazing prices. He will do the job right the first time.

Also had a Magnaflow resonator welded in place of the stock resonator because the stock one was falling apart inside. Amazing since the car isn't that old. Stainless pipe was also used to connect everything. Sounds great now, no highway drone either. Here is a quick and dirty panoramic pic that I took with my Sony Ericsson phone from 2006 (sorry for the messy image stitching):

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-S03XssB28OY/UenS_wrFl8I/AAAAAAAAA9U/o8aUuc5LQb0/s1280/DSC00112.JPG

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-On2CnGqyHOw/UenS_aZbyeI/AAAAAAAAA9Q/Q0wzgmuEbUg/s912/DSC00111.JPG

swedespeed7
19th July 2013, 09:51 PM
The icing on the cake :cheesy:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-QxbjeUGx4EA/UeWm2B8740I/AAAAAAAAA8s/Y3QmleEzhfE/s1024/CJS_110625_e9632_lr8-1411631289-O.jpg

Sorry I couldn't resist. This was my groom's cake at my wedding 2 years ago. My wife said I could pick whatever I wanted, so it was a no-brainer hahaha.

swedespeed7
22nd July 2013, 05:35 PM
Valentine 1 Concealed Display (custom w/color LEDs) mounted next to cupholder:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-qRACkcLAJsA/UbahYORsLkI/AAAAAAAAAXM/fZKMUD8_u_M/s1024/_DSC4661.JPG

Unit stays dark way up top (clipped to headliner):

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-0r4xqsIJjuM/UbahX75DInI/AAAAAAAAAXI/fKS6c8olt9s/s1024/_DSC4662.JPG

Full iPod connectivity:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-tTV4MQxmyV4/UbanNUIgP2I/AAAAAAAAAZM/ftxpf5FDdgY/s1024/_DSC4725.JPG

Door handle LEDs:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-E0hJ_MxxSW4/UbaiCpQWiGI/AAAAAAAAAYU/UD6OM_atGzw/s1024/_DSC1153.JPG

E-cutout switch on driver's side seat support:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-KtG2Oq102nQ/UbahZb53ksI/AAAAAAAAAXU/YOPsFMo9usI/s1024/_DSC4665.JPG

g12mcgov
22nd July 2013, 05:39 PM
Valentine 1 Concealed Display (custom w/color LEDs) mounted next to cupholder:

Full iPod connectivity:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-tTV4MQxmyV4/UbanNUIgP2I/AAAAAAAAAZM/ftxpf5FDdgY/s1024/_DSC4725.JPG

WOW. Eric you sure have some skill that looks fantastic... how did you cut out that section like that and what is the plastic bezel you used for around the remote display?

Also, How did you get full iPod connectivity?!?!?

swedespeed7
22nd July 2013, 05:45 PM
New combo digital gauge going in car soon (probably on top of center speaker as a sort of HUD-type of thing), color matched to dash (green on black) and with 5 second SAAB start-up logo:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-DzCFxTEnU1M/Ue2m-NtcgpI/AAAAAAAABAc/gvbNnQ29EC4/s912/DSC01175.JPG

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-pOncuUtKA24/Ue2m-MM4QVI/AAAAAAAABAY/wA8cd1JALiM/s912/DSC01176.JPG

swedespeed7
22nd July 2013, 05:50 PM
WOW. Eric you sure have some skill that looks fantastic... how did you cut out that section like that and what is the plastic bezel you used for around the remote display?

Grant, this:

My review:

Works great in my 2009 Saab 9-3 w/Bose
Written By Eric, Chicago, IL on Sunday, January 27, 2013

Works great in my 2009 Saab 9-3 w/Bose sound system. Yes, that's right, in my Saab. If you own a Saab 9-3 2007-2011, Bose system or not, this will work in your car (as long as you have XM radio, which I know was standard equipment for 2007-2009, not sure about 2010 and 2011). This will absolutely NOT work in a 2006 and older Saab 9-3. The factory head unit is a re-purposed, re-programmed, and re-trimmed version of the standard GM head unit that you find, for example, in a Chevy Silverado (Saab did this to cut costs). Installation is easy, just remove rear passenger trunk liner to expose the XM unit, plug in the USA Spec in between the car harness and the XM unit, run the iPod cable to the front center console. Crystal clear CD quality sound. I have had this for 2 years and I've compared the sound quality between the same song (USA Spec vs. physical CD in player), and I can't tell the difference. Allows you to control (and charge) the iPod from the factory head unit, or you have the option of controlling it from the iPod. Displays song title, artist, genre, etc., even scrolls if it's a longer title. Great solution if you're like me and wanted to keep the factory stereo look. See cons below for my 2 complaints.

Pros:
See above

Cons:
The biggest complaint, by far, is the inability to change the iPod tracks with the steering wheel controls. Whether or not this is because of USA Spec programming or GM programming, I don't know. If you try and use the steering wheel track change buttons, it changes the radio station and stops your music. So, you just use the track change buttons on the head unit. Second, the provided iPod cable is NOT long enough to run from the trunk to the front. You have to purchase an iPod extension cable.
1 out of 1 people found this helpful
Was this review helpful? Yes | No

swedespeed7
22nd July 2013, 05:57 PM

I removed the OnStar button pack, used a Dremel tool and a hobby knife to carefully enlarge the hole, then placed the V-1 display in with some super glue. Originally used that grippy foamish pad you see for sale by registers to hold cell phones etc to car dashboards for the bezel. I didn't like how squishy it was so I switched it out recently with harder material that matches the dash better. I used a black stair gripper and carefully cut it out with sharp scissors, then super-glued it to the dash. I'll post up a newer pic soon of the newer bezel, it's a cleaner look.

Thanks for the kind words!

titeness
22nd July 2013, 07:24 PM
Grant, this:

My review:

Works great in my 2009 Saab 9-3 w/Bose
Written By Eric, Chicago, IL on Sunday, January 27, 2013

Pros:
See above

Cons:
1 out of 1 people found this helpful
Was this review helpful? Yes | No

I'm thinking about ordering this I have an '08 that came with XM, Do you know if the track title/text works with all the audio apps, for example does is display artist/track for spotify or pandora?

swedespeed7
23rd July 2013, 12:40 AM
I'm thinking about ordering this I have an '08 that came with XM, Do you know if the track title/text works with all the audio apps, for example does is display artist/track for spotify or pandora?

Yes, it displays artist/track info for Spotify, and you can change Spotify songs from the car stereo. Not sure on Pandora, don't use it since I have Spotify Premium.

swedespeed7
24th July 2013, 11:25 AM
Updated pic of the V1 display using stair no-slip guard as bezel material:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-kT3UveIRGJA/Ue_xlA3zEqI/AAAAAAAABAs/vu-ntm_eoOc/s912/DSC00113.JPG

9-3gotboostAERO
25th July 2013, 09:23 AM
Need info on that gauge combo brah, looks awesome

swedespeed7
25th July 2013, 09:37 AM
Need info on that gauge combo brah, looks awesome

https://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2530834#post2530834

swedespeed7
27th July 2013, 02:45 AM
Got it installed tonight with my LC-1. Looks great, matches dash color perfectly, very accurate as far as I can tell. Heads-up display keeps my attention on the road, where I like it. ;ol;

Gauge installed:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-HCoV2ypAqKE/UfNnl4fjHUI/AAAAAAAABBM/-Wd25g-SG6Q/s1024/_DSC4854.JPG

Custom startup image:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-4MvqpRnREF8/UfNnlFyMsxI/AAAAAAAABBA/gALyi4MX_iQ/s1024/_DSC4861.JPG

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-EJkSzAzo4Pw/UfNnlBeyfkI/AAAAAAAABBE/bD7jjvbZnpc/s1024/_DSC4863.JPG

Better pic:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-Lh9gIAySpgA/UfNnotI00WI/AAAAAAAABBc/7mQ6QWSI_JU/s1024/_DSC4867.JPG

swedespeed7
27th July 2013, 02:45 AM
MAP sensor mounted on firewall:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-ZhcQnNbbmuo/UfNnxVNCl2I/AAAAAAAABCE/ebIFtjY_Mc0/s1024/_DSC4880.JPG

LC-1 calibration button and LED hidden inside fuse panel:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-pNKJQQG6hkQ/UfNnt7IcWMI/AAAAAAAABBw/lrx0obOq6wU/s720/_DSC4877.JPG

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-PLTYaZ_sj94/UfNnubDLysI/AAAAAAAABB0/X0_1bYPAqQ4/s1024/_DSC4878.JPG

Ground used:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-9s_mL6M8pLw/UfNnwJEdjKI/AAAAAAAABB8/0KfLKsraEnE/s1024/_DSC4879.JPG

billm0066
27th July 2013, 08:23 AM
You can tell you don't just put things together for the heck of it. Your installs are very clean.

swedespeed7
27th July 2013, 12:54 PM
You can tell you don't just put things together for the heck of it. Your installs are very clean.

Thank you!

swedespeed7
27th July 2013, 04:40 PM
Snapped some shots today in daylight. Also some better shots of the V1 display.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-U-7eqDhUyYM/UfQvbARKiKI/AAAAAAAABDA/MnIGt2vSNHo/s1024/_DSC4887.JPG

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-cQ9NwpTFb7k/UfQvbCJnCnI/AAAAAAAABDE/QqceMLRq5As/s1024/_DSC4888.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-ag3Nlynxkkw/UfQvhKIGvYI/AAAAAAAABDM/wDvvaNvylGY/s1024/_DSC4889.JPG

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Nt7kBdr1HXI/UfQva-mdfYI/AAAAAAAABC8/nK8-UWQzEDc/s1024/_DSC4886.JPG

For size reference:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-d_HppjIopBo/UfQviOt7XGI/AAAAAAAABDY/c2NXSXAjbXQ/s1024/_DSC4892.JPG

V1 with newer bezel:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-sUuF-a7rbKI/UfQviOyWVSI/AAAAAAAABDc/NRnqmM7mWqw/s1024/_DSC4895.JPG

swedespeed7
29th July 2013, 10:09 PM
Took a hacksaw to the vertical slats in the front bumper last night. Looks much cleaner and now I can see more of the intercooler. Gave the front end a quick paint job tonight with satin black spray. FYI if you paint the front end, don't forget to poke out the ambient temp sensor and tuck it behind the masking, I almost forgot to do this (you will ruin your sensor). Also getting ready to change out the trans fluid using Idemitsu trans fluid, which is the OEM manufacturer for SAAB trans fluid. Got it for $50/case of 12 from a buddy who runs a shop (wholesale pricing). If anyone needs any, let me know!

Better pics without masking tomorrow.

Before:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-g7m4zYAux0U/UfcdpYgP72I/AAAAAAAABE0/ryG6KsRpot8/s1024/_DSC3676.JPG

After:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-FkwMDNNdDZA/UfceJZPGFmI/AAAAAAAABE8/wscTGCPsFBw/s1024/_DSC4911.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-528Mmfk-cI8/Ufcb331UX9I/AAAAAAAABEk/nuQpTdinMhU/s1024/_DSC4917.JPG

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-NL6yeYECRCc/Ufcb1bDbkDI/AAAAAAAABEY/Q2VspYAs_aE/s1024/_DSC4916.JPG

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-58Qw7tUfZx4/Ufcb1c5sSiI/AAAAAAAABEU/dGivaHVSvwM/s720/_DSC4912.JPG

swedespeed7
29th July 2013, 11:34 PM
While I had the bumper off, took a quick pic of the intercooler mount (L-bracket) for those that were asking.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-zLYr5Tb9nRc/Ufcz_oifv8I/AAAAAAAABFY/QKhuIUalzvI/s1024/_DSC4920.JPG

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-siluJZcXQuI/Ufcz_Zj0LkI/AAAAAAAABFU/k5m5skBLA7Q/s720/_DSC4921.JPG

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-orklnTtZQI0/Ufcz_x1yLvI/AAAAAAAABFc/L6dsz_Hh2kE/s720/_DSC4922.JPG

swedespeed7
30th July 2013, 11:45 PM
Didn't like the satin black look, too shiny, so I resprayed the front end to flat black tonight, looks much much better. Rain here in Chicago so new pics in a few days. Also going to do a leather shift boot conversion soon and clean up the plain looking shift console (I know, I know, it's an auto, but I miss my shift boots from my old cars. Not doing it at all to look like a manual, just personal taste).

titeness
31st July 2013, 02:05 AM
Yes, it displays artist/track info for Spotify, and you can change Spotify songs from the car stereo. Not sure on Pandora, don't use it since I have Spotify Premium.

Can you change the tracks via the streering wheel controls?

96mn12
31st July 2013, 09:54 AM
Door handle LEDs:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-E0hJ_MxxSW4/UbaiCpQWiGI/AAAAAAAAAYU/UD6OM_atGzw/s1024/_DSC1153.JPG

E-cutout switch on driver's side seat support:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-KtG2Oq102nQ/UbahZb53ksI/AAAAAAAAAXU/YOPsFMo9usI/s1024/_DSC4665.JPG

Would you mind posting how you wired the LEDs? Did you just drill a hole in the back of the door cover and wire it to where? The puddle lamps?

Also, can you elaborate on the e-cutout switch? Whats that for?

I am starting to dig your muffler mod. A dream of mine is to put electrically-operated butterflies a la maserati/Aston, push the "sport" button and have the 'flies open.

How did you do yours?

Thanks

swedespeed7
31st July 2013, 10:09 AM
Can you change the tracks via the streering wheel controls?

No, and this is a bummer. It will change radio stations, but that's not what you want. I wrote this as a "con" in my review at Crutchfield if you read above. I've just gotten used to changing with the deck.

swedespeed7
31st July 2013, 10:25 AM
Would you mind posting how you wired the LEDs? Did you just drill a hole in the back of the door cover and wire it to where? The puddle lamps?

Also, can you elaborate on the e-cutout switch? Whats that for?

I am starting to dig your muffler mod. A dream of mine is to put electrically-operated butterflies a la maserati/Aston, push the "sport" button and have the 'flies open.

How did you do yours?

Thanks

Drilled a small hole, fixed the LED into place, tapped into the door lock backlighting circuit. That's it!

Your exhaust question/post is a bit confusing. My e-cutout (electric cutout) switch operates my electric "butterfly" valve, which you also mention. That momentary rocker switch on my car is my "sport button".

I have one of these:

http://www.dmhperformance.com/index.html

96mn12
31st July 2013, 10:31 AM
Drilled a small hole, fixed the LED into place, tapped into the door lock backlighting circuit. That's it!

Sounds easy enough. I was thinking you would tap into the puddle lamp as to not have the light always on. Which I guess should have been my first question. Are those always on?

Your exhaust question/post is a bit confusing. My e-cutout (electric cutout) switch operates my electric "butterfly" valve, which you also mention. That momentary rocker switch on my car is my "sport button".

I have one of these:

http://www.dmhperformance.com/index.html

Ok to clear up a couple of questions:

1) do you have the factory "sport" button? I guess when you want to bypass the mufflers you hit both buttons?

2) how much of a difference does it make? Would you mind if I ask you to post a clip of it with/without the ports open?

Thanks again

swedespeed7
31st July 2013, 10:59 AM
Sounds easy enough. I was thinking you would tap into the puddle lamp as to not have the light always on. Which I guess should have been my first question. Are those always on?

Ok to clear up a couple of questions:

1) do you have the factory "sport" button? I guess when you want to bypass the mufflers you hit both buttons?

2) how much of a difference does it make? Would you mind if I ask you to post a clip of it with/without the ports open?

Thanks again

Ah I'm sorry I misunderstood your question. I didn't know you meant the actual SAAB "SPORT" button on our dashboards, which yes, I do have one. No, I don't really use the SPORT button on the dash, since it just changes the shift points. I most always use Sentronic mode and shift manually. A future project of mine would be to somehow wire my cutout to the " - " button on the dash (the useless button). I've already figured out the wiring via diagrams, just need to take the time to figure out the rest.

As far as differences go, it makes a huge difference in sound. Stock sound when closed, race sound when open. Very nice feature if I'm just cruising, on a long trip, or whatever if I want it nice and quiet. I also open it when I really want to romp on it to bypass the mufflers. It "feels" a bit faster with the valve open. Can't be sure of performance gains without a dyno, but there's definitely less backpressure due to there not being a muffler.

I don't have a video clip but I'll try and post one soon.

swedespeed7
31st July 2013, 10:53 PM
Pics of front end with flat black re-spray and horizontal bar removal (forgot to push temp sensor back into center holder in these pics). Nice clear view of the FMIC.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-xCzft2wLvao/UfnMs9Lz2_I/AAAAAAAABGw/P8Ia8rRrF3k/s1024/_DSC4930.jpg
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-TeEh9e3AuBg/UfnMtGZAKJI/AAAAAAAABG0/laT5jcJvDCA/s1024/_DSC4938.jpg

swedespeed7
31st July 2013, 11:03 PM
Finished the shift boot tonight. Bark at me if you must, but I love the look (really didn't like the "P R N D" trim plate, very plain-ish). Matches the stitching on both the Hirsch leather interior kit and the seats. Again, I love my auto and I'm not trying to look like a stick!!!

P.S. -footwell lights look blue/purple in these shots for some reason, but are actually bright white in person.

P.P.S. - Props to Abarth for doing this mod first!!

see pics on next page

SAABalingus
1st August 2013, 03:21 AM
Finished the shift boot tonight. Bark at me if you must, but I love the look (really didn't like the "P R N D" trim plate, very plain-ish). Matches the stitching on both the Hirsch leather interior kit and the seats. Again, I love my auto and I'm not trying to look like a stick!!!

P.S. -footwell lights look blue/purple in these shots for some reason, but are actually bright white in person.

P.P.S. - Props to Abarth for doing this mod first!!

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-4UwM0luHtyk/UfnN9O7oH1I/AAAAAAAABHM/w2HG1KmKqeo/s1024/_DSC4926.JPG
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-C0o3WeiCm0Q/UfnN8xEX5DI/AAAAAAAABHI/htcXQPQJ_S4/s720/_DSC4925.JPG
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-pH_03UQ7Nm0/UfnN9CeKf5I/AAAAAAAABHQ/9l4ZrW5ikmc/s1024/_DSC4927.JPG

2 things, could u post a how to on the shift boot mod. I likey. And what kind of LED's did u use? Do they have to be a certain kind so not to damage/overload the door lock lighting circuit?

g12mcgov
1st August 2013, 10:41 AM
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-orklnTtZQI0/Ufcz_x1yLvI/AAAAAAAABFc/L6dsz_Hh2kE/s720/_DSC4922.JPG

Yep this is exactly how I attached mine!

swedespeed7
1st August 2013, 11:39 AM
2 things, could u post a how to on the shift boot mod. I likey. And what kind of LED's did u use? Do they have to be a certain kind so not to damage/overload the door lock lighting circuit?

I used these in 3mm green: http://www.oznium.com/prewired-leds

And I just bought a used manual trans shift bezel w/boot, then transplanted it onto my auto. Super easy!

beotch
1st August 2013, 02:19 PM
Pics of front end with flat black re-spray and horizontal bar removal (forgot to push temp sensor back into center holder in these pics). Nice clear view of the FMIC.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-xCzft2wLvao/UfnMs9Lz2_I/AAAAAAAABGw/P8Ia8rRrF3k/s1024/_DSC4930.jpg
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-TeEh9e3AuBg/UfnMtGZAKJI/AAAAAAAABG0/laT5jcJvDCA/s1024/_DSC4938.jpg

Eric,

did you clear coat your front lip soiler? I just got mine today from Neo Bros and I am curious.

Thanks,

dave

swedespeed7
1st August 2013, 02:23 PM
Eric,

did you clear coat your front lip soiler? I just got mine today from Neo Bros and I am curious.

Thanks,

dave

Nope, just Rustoleum Enamel flat black, 4 light coats about 20 min of dry time in between coats, around 75 degrees ambient air temp.

iksnoved25
1st August 2013, 02:28 PM

I just finished painting mine. My car is black, so having it flat black would stand out. I picked up some duplicolor black then some black gloss enamel and a bottle of k2 clear coat. I figured this weekend I'd finish that up and put my carbon-fiber wrapped Turbo X spoiler on and see how it looks. Worse comes to worse, I'll take off the turbo x spoiler and buy some splitters.

Also, I love the look of the removed verticle bars on the front grill. You mentioned there is a temperature sensor there I should worry about if I do the same? correct?

swedespeed7
1st August 2013, 02:48 PM
I just finished painting mine. My car is black, so having it flat black would stand out. I picked up some duplicolor black then some black gloss enamel and a bottle of k2 clear coat. I figured this weekend I'd finish that up and put my carbon-fiber wrapped Turbo X spoiler on and see how it looks. Worse comes to worse, I'll take off the turbo x spoiler and buy some splitters.

Also, I love the look of the removed verticle bars on the front grill. You mentioned there is a temperature sensor there I should worry about if I do the same? correct?

Yeah it's that thing in the center of the lower portion, you can see it in pics. I decided to leave it in the factory location rather than cut it out and move the sensor. Just don't paint the sensor itself.

It takes a lot of work to go from boring to interesting on the base models! As you know, this is the stock look:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-hfJlk060Rzg/Uenc2nfSKsI/AAAAAAAAA_M/iGfn1HwNwRU/s1024/_DSC8788.JPG

And the new look:

Quite a difference if you ask me.

beotch
1st August 2013, 02:53 PM

Mine I black as well. I thought about doing it the silver that is around the grille like this one below.

swedespeed7
1st August 2013, 03:00 PM
Mine I black as well. I thought about doing it the silver that is around the grille like this one below.

Ick. I do not like that mesh at all. I really like the factory upper grill, so I left it alone. It's the bottom part of the bumper that needed some spice.

To each his own though.

iksnoved25
1st August 2013, 03:02 PM
I hadnt thought about painting it silver...I'd love to paint the fog lights silver like the aero models as well.

swedespeed7
1st August 2013, 03:07 PM
Is that lower part in that pic painted silver or is just really bright sunlight? If it's painted it looks a lot like a stock 9-3X:

http://photo.netcarshow.com/Saab-9-3X_2010_photo_01.jpg

If I had a black car, I would probably paint the center part silver instead of black. Gotta have some color contrast!

swedespeed7
1st August 2013, 03:09 PM
Oh, and one other thing. Painting the fog light surrounds with silver trim on mine was kind of pointless since my car is silver. If I do it again I'll paint the whole fog surround gloss black.

Would look great on any car that's not white or silver though.

beotch
1st August 2013, 03:09 PM
Ick. I do not like that mesh at all. I really like the factory upper grill, so I left it alone. It's the bottom part of the bumper that needed some spice.

To each his own though.

not a fan of the mesh either. I do believe that was a one off by hirsch. In Oz Nigel mentioned that this is how the car came as an option.

dave

beotch
1st August 2013, 03:12 PM
Is that lower part in that pic painted silver or is just really bright sunlight? If it's painted it looks a lot like a stock 9-3X:

http://photo.netcarshow.com/Saab-9-3X_2010_photo_01.jpg

If I had a black car, I would probably paint the center part silver instead of black. Gotta have some color contrast!

It is silver, like the pics I just posted.

dave

swedespeed7
1st August 2013, 03:20 PM
Gotcha. I'd prefer the Hirsch Honeycomb over that mesh any day. Glad that grill was only a one-off!

I'm now thinking that if you have a black car, then perhaps a gunmetal/gray paint on the center spoiler instead of a true silver?? Might look nice. Although the silver matches the upper grille, too.

beotch
1st August 2013, 03:24 PM
Gotcha. I'd prefer the Hirsch Honeycomb over that mesh any day. Glad that grill was only a one-off!

I'm now thinking that if you have a black car, then perhaps a gunmetal/gray paint on the center spoiler instead of a true silver?? Might look nice. Although the silver matches the upper grille, too.

I know,

going to do a run over to crappy tire and have a look. That was the one thing about the turbo x not being the true silver but a gun metal type that I always loved. Besides, I think it might be hard to find something that almost looks chrome like the grille surround.

dave

swedespeed7
1st August 2013, 03:37 PM
I know,

going to do a run over to crappy tire and have a look. That was the one thing about the turbo x not being the true silver but a gun metal type that I always loved. Besides, I think it might be hard to find something that almost looks chrome like the grille surround.

dave

Yeah that chrome silver is tough to match. It's a satin-chrome, which I like much better than 100% chrome.

P.S. - what's "crappy tire" ?

beotch
1st August 2013, 03:44 PM
Yeah that chrome silver is tough to match. It's a satin-chrome, which I like much better than 100% chrome.

P.S. - what's "crappy tire" ?

Canadian tire. :D

swedespeed7
1st August 2013, 03:56 PM
Canadian tire. :D

Gotcha.

iksnoved25
1st August 2013, 04:00 PM
Well, its pretty much all the way painted black...just waiting on nice weather to do clear coat. I did pick up some of the new Anthracite Grey Metallic finish Plastidip from dipyourcar that I planned on putting on a set of ALU50s I picked up...I tried to strip the flat black paint on them to the stock silver and totally screwed up the stock powder coat.

I think I'll get a can of silver, spray the lip silver, check out how it looks...then use some plastidip on it to get the color down to see how it looks.

How hard was it to paint the fog light surrounds?
I assume you popped them out (after removing the bumper), taped it up, and sprayed it?

swedespeed7
1st August 2013, 04:02 PM
Well, its pretty much all the way painted black...just waiting on nice weather to do clear coat. I did pick up some of the new Anthracite Grey Metallic finish Plastidip from dipyourcar that I planned on putting on a set of ALU50s I picked up...I tried to strip the flat black paint on them to the stock silver and totally screwed up the stock powder coat.

I think I'll get a can of silver, spray the lip silver, check out how it looks...then use some plastidip on it to get the color down to see how it looks.

How hard was it to paint the fog light surrounds?
I assume you popped them out (after removing the bumper), taped it up, and sprayed it?

Yeah super easy. Just make sure you use good masking tape so the lines don't bleed.

iksnoved25
1st August 2013, 04:11 PM
Yeah super easy. Just make sure you use good masking tape so the lines don't bleed.

Any suggestions of how far in (width) I should paint them? I don't know anyone with an aero to ask. I guess the tough part is figuring out which color silver/chrome to pick up. I figure I would paint the lip the same color then.

swedespeed7
1st August 2013, 04:31 PM
Any suggestions of how far in (width) I should paint them? I don't know anyone with an aero to ask. I guess the tough part is figuring out which color silver/chrome to pick up. I figure I would paint the lip the same color then.

I wouldn't worry about that. Mine doesn't come close to the dimensions of the Aero trim color scheme. Just do it how you like!

I used Duplicolor GM Metallic Silver for my interior pieces, I imagine it would work the same on the outside.

Pretty sure this was it:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00407V4UE/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=automotive

beotch
1st August 2013, 04:38 PM
Went to the good old crappy t and they did not have a satin chrome. The chrome they had looked like I should be driving a 300.

The only duplicolor they had that was chrome was a chrome aluminum.

what do you think?

dave

swedespeed7
1st August 2013, 04:50 PM
Went to the good old crappy t and they did not have a satin chrome. The chrome they had looked like I should be driving a 300.

The only duplicolor they had that was chrome was a chrome aluminum.

what do you think?

dave

I would go with the Amazon link I posted above.

beotch
1st August 2013, 04:56 PM
Went to Krylon's web site. They have a good selection of gray's.

http://www.krylon.com/color-center/colors/gray/

not sure which one. my eyes are starting to go crazy.

dave

swedespeed7
1st August 2013, 05:12 PM
You really have to buy and try. Online stuff is so hard to tell the difference, especially with different monitor color schemes on your computer/viewing device.

swedespeed7
1st August 2013, 09:20 PM
Y'all probably think I'm super detail-obsessed by now. Well I am.

I adjusted the shift boot to close the gap between the lock collar and the shift knob. It was bugging me. New pics:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-7WHQjDyzvOs/UfsJJ49HGeI/AAAAAAAABIQ/IW3WcDL1wRI/s720/_DSC4961.JPG
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-C77PIVVuOnU/UfsHo33DQFI/AAAAAAAABH8/WxGJS8Fqd4k/s1024/_DSC4957.JPG

iksnoved25
2nd August 2013, 05:00 PM
I wouldn't worry about that. Mine doesn't come close to the dimensions of the Aero trim color scheme. Just do it how you like!

I used Duplicolor GM Metallic Silver for my interior pieces, I imagine it would work the same on the outside.

Pretty sure this was it:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00407V4UE/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=automotive

I picked up 2 cans of that paint from pep boys. So far so good, but I have a feeling it is going to come out too metallic-y. First coat looked good but the second looked very metallic. I may use up the rest of the can then exchange the second with a matte silver spray.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App (http://www.autoguide.com/mobile)

9-3turbo270
3rd August 2013, 11:32 AM
swede, where did you get that beautiful shifter boot?? was it easy to install?

swedespeed7
3rd August 2013, 12:43 PM
swede, where did you get that beautiful shifter boot?? was it easy to install?

Got it used on eBay, came off a 2007 9-3 w/manual trans. That's why it fits so well! Super easy, no modifying or anything.

shuizzy
3rd August 2013, 01:22 PM
Got it used on eBay, came off a 2007 9-3 w/manual trans. That's why it fits so well! Super easy, no modifying or anything.

How'd you install it? Did you use adhesive?

96mn12
3rd August 2013, 10:38 PM
Y'all probably think I'm super detail-obsessed by now. Well I am.

I adjusted the shift boot to close the gap between the lock collar and the shift knob. It was bugging me. New pics:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-7WHQjDyzvOs/UfsJJ49HGeI/AAAAAAAABIQ/IW3WcDL1wRI/s720/_DSC4961.JPG
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-C77PIVVuOnU/UfsHo33DQFI/AAAAAAAABH8/WxGJS8Fqd4k/s1024/_DSC4957.JPG

Did you only use the boot, or did you also do #9?
http://i.imgur.com/CyzeAE0.png

swedespeed7
4th August 2013, 12:24 AM
How'd you install it? Did you use adhesive?

No adhesive needed. Just inverted the boot and zip tied it nice and tight to the shifter lock collar.

Did you only use the boot, or did you also do #9?

#9 was already holding the boot to the silver trim, so yes I did use #9, but it wasn't involved in my install.

All I did was buy a used manual shifter which included the boot and silver surround. Then I removed my auto shift knob, removed the auto trim, removed the PRND plate, pried open the LED circuit for the PRND plate, unplugged the cable from the LED circuit, removed the extra auto trim clip holder, slipped the boot (already attached to the silver manual shift trim with #9) over the shift shaft, secured with a zip tie, pressed trim into place, and reinstalled the auto shift knob. Sounds complex but it was very easy, took me 15 minutes.

96mn12
4th August 2013, 09:37 AM
#9 was already holding the boot to the silver trim, so yes I did use #9, but it wasn't involved in my install.

All I did was buy a used manual shifter which included the boot and silver surround. Then I removed my auto shift knob, removed the auto trim, removed the PRND plate, pried open the LED circuit for the PRND plate, unplugged the cable from the LED circuit, removed the extra auto trim clip holder, slipped the boot (already attached to the silver manual shift trim with #9) over the shift shaft, secured with a zip tie, pressed trim into place, and reinstalled the auto shift knob. Sounds complex but it was very easy, took me 15 minutes.

Seems more complex (i.e. $$$) than I thought it would be. Didnt know you had to replace the console trim/surround as well.

Couldn't you leave the prnd+- indicator in there?

swedespeed7
4th August 2013, 02:37 PM
Seems more complex (i.e. $$$) than I thought it would be. Didnt know you had to replace the console trim/surround as well.

Couldn't you leave the prnd+- indicator in there?

You could try and retrofit a shift boot to the auto shift surround, but it would take more work for sure.

And no, you can't leave the PRND trim in there because the frame piece that the PRND trim attaches to has to come out for the new manual trim to fit. Why would you want to leave it in there? It comes out with removal of 1 screw, took me about 7 seconds to do.

swedespeed7
10th August 2013, 11:37 PM
Did this real quick tonight. Super easy and practical modification. I don't know about anyone else here, but I know I'm always annoyed (or a passenger is) when I go to rest my arm on the door panel and get poked or even pinched by the door lock pull. So, I came up with a solution. I "shaved" off the door lock pulls by unscrewing the top plastic piece, bending the actuator rod into the door panel, and zip-tying the actuator rod to a wire harness so it could still function and was out of the way of the window's operation.

I was going to wire red LEDs to the alarm LED circuit, but changed my mind and just put blanks in. I used universal body fasteners with a washer and nylon lock nut underneath. Completely reversible. Left the rear doors alone since the locks are on the front of the panels and don't interfere with arm resting, and also in case of emergency to escape the vehicle (although if ACM deploys airbags, doors are automatically unlocked).

Before (rear door shown for example):

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-LP2nloFLfbk/UgcECiPepWI/AAAAAAAABJI/bE1ZTQjgUL0/s1024/_DSC5018.JPG

After:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-wedJvUVPg6E/UgcECz-mWzI/AAAAAAAABJM/emYG3KiZFO4/s1024/_DSC5017.JPG
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-fkguUMJ6zwY/UgcEC-Z1ZDI/AAAAAAAABJQ/IaZL4afjw3w/s1024/_DSC5016.JPG
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-p6aUZR1JUDM/UgcEFjrQyBI/AAAAAAAABJY/rzRjJpeD1MI/s1024/_DSC5019.JPG

Nijee
11th August 2013, 03:19 AM
Did this real quick tonight. Super easy and practical modification. I don't know about anyone else here, but I know I'm always annoyed (or a passenger is) when I go to rest my arm on the door panel and get poked or even pinched by the door lock pull. So, I came up with a solution. I "shaved" off the door lock pulls by unscrewing the top plastic piece, bending the actuator rod into the door panel, and zip-tying the actuator rod to a wire harness so it could still function and was out of the way of the window's operation.

I was going to wire red LEDs to the alarm LED circuit, but changed my mind and just put blanks in. I used universal body fasteners with a washer and nylon lock nut underneath. Completely reversible. Left the rear doors alone since the locks are on the front of the panels and don't interfere with arm resting, and also in case of emergency to escape the vehicle (although if ACM deploys airbags, doors are automatically unlocked).

Wow - had a PM discussion with Saablingus on this very topic a few weeks ago. USA spec cars have the press button lock actuator on both sides in front of the internal door handle. Aussie spec cars only have them on the drivers side. I was wondering like you what purpose the door lock pulls serve. Thought this after my Hyundai i45 has no door lock pulls either. Plus they look really low rent. Well done.

swedespeed7
11th August 2013, 12:35 PM
Wow - had a PM discussion with Saablingus on this very topic a few weeks ago. USA spec cars have the press button lock actuator on both sides in front of the internal door handle. Aussie spec cars only have them on the drivers side. I was wondering like you what purpose the door lock pulls serve. Thought this after my Hyundai i45 has no door lock pulls either. Plus they look really low rent. Well done.

Thanks. The only 2 things I can think of would be:

1) that the pulls are there for extreme emergencies when the power locks don't work (if the car flips or gets into a bad accident). However, knowing that the locks unlock when the airbags go off gives peace of mind, but that's also why I left the rear doors with pulls.

2) the pulls are there for convenience, or possible due to market cross-over and cost-cutting measures (Australian vs. U.S. cars is a great example). Or the pulls are there in case the battery is dead? Maybe someone else can shed some light on this.

Cafasco
11th August 2013, 02:36 PM
WOW! Your car is amazing! Mine is same color and I now know my next project...the lower front is going black (may try plasti-dip, which is holding up great on the lower part of the rear bumper, not sure how well it will in the front though) and verts removed.

What was that exhaust system on it before you went duals? Curious if you noticed any difference?

And I'm guessing you disabled your TPMS via Tech II? I think I missed that.

Yeah I read that FSDs and lowering spring worked fine, but also was told they do not, so conflicting info there, but sounds like they are on same page now. I have the FSDs with stock springs (which are so much better than OEM struts shocks), but now kind of wish I would have gone with yellows and springs.

Anyway...Cheers on a fabulous 9-3!

swedespeed7
11th August 2013, 06:28 PM
WOW! Your car is amazing! Mine is same color and I now know my next project...the lower front is going black (may try plasti-dip, which is holding up great on the lower part of the rear bumper, not sure how well it will in the front though) and verts removed.

What was that exhaust system on it before you went duals? Curious if you noticed any difference?

And I'm guessing you disabled your TPMS via Tech II? I think I missed that.

Yeah I read that FSDs and lowering spring worked fine, but also was told they do not, so conflicting info there, but sounds like they are on same page now. I have the FSDs with stock springs (which are so much better than OEM struts shocks), but now kind of wish I would have gone with yellows and springs.

Anyway...Cheers on a fabulous 9-3!

Thanks Cafasco! Answers to your questions:

1. The previous exhaust setup was just a straight-through design stainless rear muffler with an oval tip, nothing fancy. No performance gains, just looks and sound.

2. Yes, I disabled TPMS via Tech II, here is my write-up: https://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=250950

3. Yeah, unfortunately FSDs and lowering springs don't play nice together on some cars, ours included. It depends on the application. Although it was nice to have purchased both springs/shocks through TireRack because they honored the compatibility issue and did a full refund. Still had to R&R, though, and that was time/labor. Love my Koni Yellows now.

Thanks again!

Anthony1s
13th August 2013, 03:19 PM
Thanks. The only 2 things I can think of would be:

1) that the pulls are there for extreme emergencies when the power locks don't work (if the car flips or gets into a bad accident). However, knowing that the locks unlock when the airbags go off gives peace of mind, but that's also why I left the rear doors with pulls.

2) the pulls are there for convenience, or possible due to market cross-over and cost-cutting measures (Australian vs. U.S. cars is a great example). Or the pulls are there in case the battery is dead? Maybe someone else can shed some light on this.

I know that if I lock my girlfriend in my car, the switches for the door locks are disabled once the alarm sets. The only way she can get out is to pull up the door locks. But then the alarm goes off once she opens the door.

swedespeed7
13th August 2013, 04:06 PM
I know that if I lock my girlfriend in my car, the switches for the door locks are disabled once the alarm sets. The only way she can get out is to pull up the door locks. But then the alarm goes off once she opens the door.

Indeed you are right, mine does the same thing. Another reason to leave the rear door lock pulls in place, especially if you have kids riding with you.

cupdeez
13th August 2013, 05:09 PM

Also installed the Mishimoto Z-line intercooler this weekend. No modifications needed. Removed stock intercooler, hooked up Mishimoto intercooler with 2 90 degree reducer elbows, good to go. No hose kinks at all. Immediate difference noticed under load in hotter temperatures. The pics don't show it, but I mounted the intercooler using the middle nut on the intercooler and bolted it to the bumper with a corner bracket and some zinc-plated hardware. Nice and tight. Got my turbo power back!!!

This looks amazing. So i have a few questions about the intercooler.

1. I also have JZW tune and I'm running stage 1 aggressive (20PSI). How many PSI does stage 3 do? 25PSI? The only reason i'm concerned is because I live in Florida. The intercooler says the maximum recommended is 22 PSI.

2. Where did you order the "2 90 degree reducer elbows" from?

swedespeed7
13th August 2013, 05:36 PM
This looks amazing. So i have a few questions about the intercooler.

1. I also have JZW tune and I'm running stage 1 aggressive (20PSI). How many PSI does stage 3 do? 25PSI? The only reason i'm concerned is because I live in Florida. The intercooler says the maximum recommended is 22 PSI.

2. Where did you order the "2 90 degree reducer elbows" from?

1. That sounds a bit high. I hit maybe 18 psi at WOT on stage 3 software, which John tells me is perfect. I live 600 ft above sea level. Unless you're supposed to be hitting 20 psi?

2. http://www.siliconeintakes.com/product_info.php?cPath=14&products_id=952&osCsid=e844078df808889fa8c16ae3e6a1970d

Silver2.0T
13th August 2013, 06:35 PM
Swedespeed your car is the inspiration of mine. I will probably be doing a lot of the mods that you did but will try to keep from building a replica of your car and mix it up a bit. Anyhows I love your car man. Snow Silver ftw

Diggs
13th August 2013, 08:45 PM
You could always just cut the locks down.

https://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113999

swedespeed7
13th August 2013, 08:53 PM
You could always just cut the locks down.

https://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113999

Yeah I saw that thread. It would be nice to see if the door was locked/unlocked, but then I would have to program the locks to lock on driveaway and then unlock all 4 doors at key out. Don't really want those features. Only lock feature I have programmed now is driver door unlock at key out, which is all I want at this point. I'll see how the blanks go, it's only been a few days. Thanks for the heads up though.

swedespeed7
13th August 2013, 08:58 PM
Swedespeed your car is the inspiration of mine. I will probably be doing a lot of the mods that you did but will try to keep from building a replica of your car and mix it up a bit. Anyhows I love your car man. Snow Silver ftw

Thanks I'm honored haha! Yeah you gotta give it your own touches here and there. There isn't a whole lot of stuff available on the aftermarket for our cars, which I see as a fun challenge because it makes you really think and plan out your mods, even if some of them are small ;ol;. Let me know if you have any questions, I'd be happy to help!

Silver2.0T
14th August 2013, 09:39 AM
Yeah I saw that thread. It would be nice to see if the door was locked/unlocked, but then I would have to program the locks to lock on driveaway and then unlock all 4 doors at key out. Don't really want those features. Only lock feature I have programmed now is driver door unlock at key out, which is all I want at this point. I'll see how the blanks go, it's only been a few days. Thanks for the heads up though.
Can you do all that with the Tech 2?

cupdeez
14th August 2013, 09:52 AM
1. That sounds a bit high. I hit maybe 18 psi at WOT on stage 3 software, which John tells me is perfect. I live 600 ft above sea level. Unless you're supposed to be hitting 20 psi?

2. http://www.siliconeintakes.com/product_info.php?cPath=14&products_id=952&osCsid=e844078df808889fa8c16ae3e6a1970d

The silicone 90 bender how did you connect that to the stock tubing? Do you have some metal pipe in the middle so the clamps get tight and keep the pressure sealed?

Yeah, so I guess they are much different tunes. My gauge hangs around 18-20 PSI.

http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9761/q360.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/829/q360.png/)

I was thinking of using this intercooler that has the 2.25 in/out and possibly 45 degree silicone tubing. I don't think the stock tubing is long enough what do you think?

Amazon.com: Godspeed Type L Turbo Intercooler 350-400hp Full Aluminum: Automotive

swedespeed7
14th August 2013, 11:35 AM
Can you do all that with the Tech 2?

Yes you can.

cupdeez
14th August 2013, 01:39 PM
After looking at your pictures I figured the 90 degree bend was a bit aggressive. I decided to use a 45 degree bend. Let me know if you see anything I should be alarmed about.

This is what I ordered for my custom turbo install:

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/4533/3d9r.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/266/3d9r.jpg/)

This is the turbo I ordered. I figured was larger than the Mishimoto one and just a big larger core than the stock Saab intercooler.

Intercooler:
http://www.godspeedproject.com/type-l-intercooler

swedespeed7
14th August 2013, 03:22 PM
After looking at your pictures I figured the 90 degree bend was a bit aggressive. I decided to use a 45 degree bend. Let me know if you see anything I should be alarmed about.

This is what I ordered for my custom turbo install:

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/4533/3d9r.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/266/3d9r.jpg/)

This is the turbo I ordered. I figured was larger than the Mishimoto one and just a big larger core than the stock Saab intercooler.

Intercooler:
http://www.godspeedproject.com/type-l-intercooler

Looks like you're set for a new intercooler! 90 degree bend worked fine for me, in fact I think it would be more difficult with a 45. But let us know how it works!

P.S. - Do you have your own build thread? If you don't you should make one and post your progress there.

AKS_Muzik
14th August 2013, 04:29 PM
wow really great work, very impressed with the changes you've made espically all the gagets inside the car.

swedespeed7
14th August 2013, 06:50 PM
wow really great work, very impressed with the changes you've made espically all the gagets inside the car.

Thanks very much!

beotch
20th August 2013, 06:10 PM
Well,

I finally installed my stuff. I have not hooked the lights up since the two places in town will not touch my car and I do not feel confident enough to do it myself. Anyone in the GTA deal with Stage 9 yet?

Big props for Swedespeed and the ideas (or theft) for my car. I almost got the front splitters however we get so much snow here I would be afraid they would become a snowplow feature.

Have a look tell me what you think.

dave

iksnoved25
20th August 2013, 06:56 PM
I did the same, but added the Turbo X lip that I carbon fiber wrapped...Thanks again Swedespeed. ;ol;
http://imageshack.us/a/img839/8140/7ueq.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img197/8419/2yti.jpg

Well,

I finally installed my stuff. I have not hooked the lights up since the two places in town will not touch my car and I do not feel confident enough to do it myself. Anyone in the GTA deal with Stage 9 yet?

Big props for Swedespeed and the ideas (or theft) for my car. I almost got the front splitters however we get so much snow here I would be afraid they would become a snowplow feature.

Have a look tell me what you think.

dave

beotch
20th August 2013, 08:28 PM
[QUOTE=iksnoved25;2639953]I did the same, but added the Turbo X lip that I carbon fiber wrapped...Thanks again Swedespeed. ;ol;

That carbon looks nice. Thought about doing that for the front lip but seemed like too much work and not sure if clear coating it would look nice or mess it up.

I have rear carbon door sills and rear spoiler and they look dead the same, did not want it to look out of place either.

You need a rear spoiler now!!!!!

dave

iksnoved25
20th August 2013, 09:13 PM
That carbon looks nice. Thought about doing that for the front lip but seemed like too much work and not sure if clear coating it would look nice or mess it up.

I have rear carbon door sills and rear spoiler and they look dead the same, did not want it to look out of place either.

You need a rear spoiler now!!!!!

dave
Can you PM me some pics of the spoiler? I thought about it also, but didn't want it to look weird. Also, I did not clear coat the lip either. I was unsure if it would mess it up also so I decided not to. Worst case scenario, I have to wrap it again, or just tear it all off and go black.

Ksamaran93V
20th August 2013, 09:51 PM
Well,

dave

I've done alot of stuff with them so far, but I'm one of the few advocates for them on this forum. I know Brechnar uses them as well (he recommended them to me). They've been great.

I think anyone who owns a saab in the GTA should go to them

Ksamaran93V
20th August 2013, 09:56 PM
Well,

dave

I've done alot of stuff with them so far, but I'm one of the few advocates for them on this forum. I know Brechnar uses them as well (he recommended them to me). They've been great.

swedespeed7
21st August 2013, 12:10 AM
Looks great guys!! Let's see a pic with those rings turned on!

billm0066
21st August 2013, 09:18 AM
You should take a photo from headlight level from about 15 feet back so we can really see the front bumper. I think everything looks really good and OEM.

beotch
23rd August 2013, 09:51 PM

Ksamaran,

might have to hit them up. Just got back from Detroit this evening and on the way back I had talked with Aktive the other day about coming in and having a look at the lights. The dude on the phone said no problem, I told him 3. Rolled in after 5 + hours in the car and the guy in there told me that I was to be in that morning. I told him he was wrong that that I had just driven from Detroit for this and he did not seem to care. Said he had 6 other cars and only 3 hours until they closed and that my car would take hours. I said it would not and that I had made the appointment. He told me I was wrong. Too bad, I have dealt with Christian every time I have been there and he is nothing but amazing.

dave

swedespeed7
23rd August 2013, 09:54 PM
I blew a charge hose today, one of the big ones connecting the intercooler piping. Scary stuff and weird sounds!!! Clamped it nice and tight with the t-bolt clamp and good to go. Had to do a hard battery reset because car was stuck in LHM. Back in business!

berkeleydojah
5th October 2013, 12:45 AM
Finally got around to this. This is a list of everything I've done to my car since purchased new from the dealer in 2010. All work done by myself. Feel free to comment or ask questions. Happy SAABing to everyone!

Slideshow to all pictures (https://picasaweb.google.com/116463082196298701935/Tally#slideshow/5888070912424272802)

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-FUA76-nghP4/UbahTtREMaI/AAAAAAAAAWU/2oGBuIwh81g/s1024/_DSC4645.JPG

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-z-u6GDJc2zk/UbahbeQFZEI/AAAAAAAAAXo/X7vYLJyurbk/s1024/_DSC4675.JPG

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-BbNSqvcqXLo/UbahackQsjI/AAAAAAAAAXc/-ThMD7bvKIk/s1024/_DSC4667.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-NHZCqSGbJTM/UbahV15HNbI/AAAAAAAAAWs/DaAXGShkXxU/s1024/_DSC4651.JPG

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-E1QIbScTeko/UbahrVEAQMI/AAAAAAAAAYA/iL_aNhDJSyQ/s720/_DSC3668.JPG

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-S84iseXeQcw/UbanMPA547I/AAAAAAAAAZE/JySFlTGoN9o/s1024/_DSC4731.jpg

Our SAAB family:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-Ef9tz0aPJO8/UbapzP0nWwI/AAAAAAAAAZw/MF0nIbz-gb4/s912/DSC02341.JPG

- 5000K HID conversion with hidden ballasts
- Custom-made fog light CCFL halo rings (hand-dipped in resin for exterior all-weather use)
- Re-configured headlight switch to OFF/Auto/parking lights/ON
- Completely disabled TPMS
- JL 10” sub + JL mono amp
- USASpec iPod interface (can control iPod from stock radio, also charges iPod)
- All interior lights replaced with LEDs
- Custom green accent LEDs in front door panels/handles
- Custom Valentine 1 concealed color display
- CREE 25-watt LEDs (50-watt total) retrofitted into reverse lights with relay retrofit
- Tunerdomes super bright LEDs on license plate with relay retrofit
- Hirsch rear diffuser
- Hirsch front splitters
- OEM SAAB front lip spoiler painted satin black, middle support bar also painted satin black
- OEM SAAB Griffin rear lip spoiler imported from Sweden, painted, and custom installed without drilling template
- BSR tuned stage 2
- Custom dual exhaust using OEM Aero V6 mufflers and 4 inch Vibrant exhaust tips
- Single electronic exhaust cutout with heavy duty rocker switch
- Koni Yellow Sport struts/shocks (rear at 1 full turn)
- SPC EZ Camber bolt pair front
- BSR intake w/oversized AEM Dryflow filter (7 inch media length)
- ACE Alloy V12 5x110 18x8 wheels/Continental ExtremeContact DW summers
- SAAB ALU50 17x7 wheels/Dunlop Winter Sport M3 performance snows
- OEM Saab mud mats
- Updated OEM rear badging , matte silver OEM Hirsch badge
- Painted brake calipers high-temp silver
- PIAA Sport Horn 500Hz/600Hz kit

for the upgraded size you used for that air filter, you think you can link me the exact one you used? will that AEM filter throw a CEL? or would it work fine? my 2011 9-3 is tuned at 260 hp and 280 torque. i have the bsr intake now.

swedespeed7
5th October 2013, 12:53 PM
for the upgraded size you used for that air filter, you think you can link me the exact one you used? will that AEM filter throw a CEL? or would it work fine? my 2011 9-3 is tuned at 260 hp and 280 torque. i have the bsr intake now.

Part number is 21-2027DK. No CEL.

berkeleydojah
5th October 2013, 06:03 PM
Part number is 21-2027DK. No CEL.

any difference between the bsr filter? other than its double the size almost

swedespeed7
5th October 2013, 06:44 PM
any difference between the bsr filter? other than its double the size almost

The BSR filter is an oil-based filter. After you clean it, it needs to be re-oiled. Same goes for K&N.

AEM Dryflow filters don't need to be oiled after cleaning, which means no oil on the MAF, and less work for me.

Comes down to personal preference I guess. Haven't really heard of issues with using oil-based filters with our cars, so either way you'd probably be fine.

Anthony1s
5th October 2013, 06:49 PM
The BSR filter is an oil-based filter. After you clean it, it needs to be re-oiled. Same goes for K&N.

AEM Dryflow filters don't need to be oiled after cleaning, which means no oil on the MAF, and less work for me.

Comes down to personal preference I guess. Haven't really heard of issues with using oil-based filters with our cars, so either way you'd probably be fine.

From what I researched, the MAF problem isn't usually from the oiled filters. It's caused from K&N using a large inlet pipe for the air filter, throwing off the readings on the MAF. The BSR intake uses a stock inlet pipe and I haven't seen a single reported issue of a MAF malfunction due to it.

swedespeed7
5th October 2013, 06:52 PM
From what I researched, the MAF problem isn't usually from the oiled filters. It's caused from K&N using a large inlet pipe for the air filter, throwing off the readings on the MAF. The BSR intake uses a stock inlet pipe and I haven't seen a single reported issue of a MAF malfunction due to it.

Exactly why I said this:

Haven't really heard of issues with using oil-based filters with our cars, so either way you'd probably be fine.

Dizzlenator05
8th October 2013, 10:44 AM
This thread has be SOOO enlightening. Gave me a HUGE list of stuff to do to mine and a lot of it is at minimal cost, which is definitely good working for the shutdown government. Thanks for all of the links and what not. Found the intercooler in black on Amazon, and I'm thinking it's going to have to be a purchase in the very near future. Makes me think I should start a thread as well. Looking forward to it. Thanks for the inspiration on an incredible looking car.

EuroStyle
8th October 2013, 12:15 PM
Updated pic of the V1 display using stair no-slip guard as bezel material:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-kT3UveIRGJA/Ue_xlA3zEqI/AAAAAAAABAs/vu-ntm_eoOc/s912/DSC00113.JPG

This is perfect!!

So the unit is glued to the enlarged opening from the On Star and then you made the bezel to cover the cut and make it neat? How is the rubber bezel attached?

Final question....is this a Home Depot type stair pad?

Also where did you tap 12v and ground for the unit (I assume you did ignition switched) and what route did you take to get the wire up near the mirror?

I am trying to do this in my Vert before we leave Friday for a 1k road trip...

Sean

swedespeed7
8th October 2013, 01:21 PM
This thread has be SOOO enlightening. Gave me a HUGE list of stuff to do to mine and a lot of it is at minimal cost, which is definitely good working for the shutdown government. Thanks for all of the links and what not. Found the intercooler in black on Amazon, and I'm thinking it's going to have to be a purchase in the very near future. Makes me think I should start a thread as well. Looking forward to it. Thanks for the inspiration on an incredible looking car.

Thanks for the kind words!

swedespeed7
8th October 2013, 01:24 PM
This is perfect!!

So the unit is glued to the enlarged opening from the On Star and then you made the bezel to cover the cut and make it neat? How is the rubber bezel attached?

Final question....is this a Home Depot type stair pad?

Also where did you tap 12v and ground for the unit (I assume you did ignition switched) and what route did you take to get the wire up near the mirror?

I am trying to do this in my Vert before we leave Friday for a 1k road trip...

Sean

Sean,

Yes, the Valentine 1 unit is wedged/glued into the enlarged OnStar opening. Mostly wedged, it's very tight. Used some super glue to hold it in place, hasn't moved since, and I press that button a LOT. Yep just cut the bezel to size and super glued that as well. 12V power and negative comes from the lighter socket. Routed the RJ-11 wire behind the glovebox, up the passenger A-pillar, and stuffed under the headliner near the windshield.

Hope that helps!

Ksamaran93V
8th October 2013, 01:42 PM

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-keGHNAujXiY/UdDsnx9sdEI/AAAAAAAAA6w/qTpj8TVHmBg/s720/_DSC4805.jpg

I see where you mounted the bracket to the intercooler, but is there a hole already in the bumper member to attach the L-bracket to?

Is that the only place where you mounted the intercooler?

swedespeed7
8th October 2013, 02:59 PM
I see where you mounted the bracket to the intercooler, but is there a hole already in the bumper member to attach the L-bracket to?

Is that the only place where you mounted the intercooler?

There is a hole in the bumper member, but it's only on the forward-facing side. I took advantage of that hole and continued drilling through the other side, rear-facing. attached with an L-bracket, a short bolt to the intercooler, and a long bolt and lock nut to the bumper. The inlet and outlet on the intercooler is also triple zip-tied to a bracket on the car to hold it away from the condenser. The zipties are purely for placement purposes. The single bolt/bracket is more than enough holding power; the intercooler is rock solid in place.

Ksamaran93V
8th October 2013, 05:29 PM
There is a hole in the bumper member, but it's only on the forward-facing side. I took advantage of that hole and continued drilling through the other side, rear-facing. attached with an L-bracket, a short bolt to the intercooler, and a long bolt and lock nut to the bumper. The inlet and outlet on the intercooler is also triple zip-tied to a bracket on the car to hold it away from the condenser. The zipties are purely for placement purposes. The single bolt/bracket is more than enough holding power; the intercooler is rock solid in place.

Oh I see, how hard was it to drill through the bumper? Another build thread said he went through 2 carbide bits =P.

How long did the whole job take you to do?

swedespeed7
8th October 2013, 05:53 PM
Oh I see, how hard was it to drill through the bumper? Another build thread said he went through 2 carbide bits =P.

How long did the whole job take you to do?

1 titanium drill bit and 5 mins of drilling. Whole job about 2 hours, most of which was spent trying to fit the silicone elbows onto the intercooler. Had to heat them up in a bucket of hot water and use some oil to slip them on.

Ksamaran93V
8th October 2013, 06:17 PM
1 titanium drill bit and 5 mins of drilling. Whole job about 2 hours, most of which was spent trying to fit the silicone elbows onto the intercooler. Had to heat them up in a bucket of hot water and use some oil to slip them on.

haha that's not too bad. I heard using Hair spray is a good way to put silicone pipes on.

Thanks for the help man, I'll probably have to do this sometime soon as my intercooler is starting to leak a little and is throwing a P0101 code.

SovangW
8th October 2013, 06:19 PM
would this work on my year saab as well? the 03 9-3ss.

is this the right one?http://autoplicity.com/products/2662549-mishimoto_mmint_ur__intercooler.aspx?utm_source=go ogle&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=2662549NOFITMENT&utm_campaign=GSNOFITMENT&adtype=pla&kw=&utm_term=&adpos=1o4&network=g&gclid=CLKsuMqkiLoCFYU5QgodfR4A6Q

i cant justify spending 600 for ETS if i can just use this one

Ksamaran93V
8th October 2013, 06:33 PM

is this the right one?http://autoplicity.com/products/2662549-mishimoto_mmint_ur__intercooler.aspx?utm_source=go ogle&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=2662549NOFITMENT&utm_campaign=GSNOFITMENT&adtype=pla&kw=&utm_term=&adpos=1o4&network=g&gclid=CLKsuMqkiLoCFYU5QgodfR4A6Q

This should work in our generation.

Mishimoto MMINT-UZ Universal Intercooler Z Line : Amazon.com : Automotive

That is the one he used for his.

SovangW
8th October 2013, 06:35 PM
This should work in our generation.

Mishimoto MMINT-UZ Universal Intercooler Z Line : Amazon.com : Automotive (http://www.amazon.com/Mishimoto-MMINT-UZ-Universal-Intercooler-Line/dp/B00368PEHC)

That is the one he used for his.

would you happen to know what diameter the hoses would be? thanks!

swedespeed7
8th October 2013, 08:27 PM
would you happen to know what diameter the hoses would be? thanks!

Here's what I ordered:

2 x Silicone Reducer, 90 bend - 2.5" to 2.25" - Black
$39.98

2 x Stainless Steel Joiner, 2.25"
$15.98

2 x T-Bolt Clamp for 2.5" Silicone Parts
$5.20

6 x T-Bolt Clamp for 2.25" Silicone Parts
$15.60

www.siliconeintakes.com

Tmarter
9th October 2013, 01:51 AM

The ETS ones are nice because they are a little thicker than stock, but cover a lot more surface area than the "lower grill FMIC's", also like the CX racing one I have. The engineering on the mishi is nice by all means, but the ETS is definitely a good intercooler also. Especially because it uses all the stock mounting and hose plumbing, and all three grilles up top, along with the lower grille get that cold air, not just the open lower grille. But the mishi is a good price too...cheaper than the ETS by a good amount

berkeleydojah
10th October 2013, 02:44 AM

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-z-u6GDJc2zk/UbahbeQFZEI/AAAAAAAAAXo/X7vYLJyurbk/s1024/_DSC4675.JPG

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-BbNSqvcqXLo/UbahackQsjI/AAAAAAAAAXc/-ThMD7bvKIk/s1024/_DSC4667.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-NHZCqSGbJTM/UbahV15HNbI/AAAAAAAAAWs/DaAXGShkXxU/s1024/_DSC4651.JPG

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-E1QIbScTeko/UbahrVEAQMI/AAAAAAAAAYA/iL_aNhDJSyQ/s720/_DSC3668.JPG

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-S84iseXeQcw/UbanMPA547I/AAAAAAAAAZE/JySFlTGoN9o/s1024/_DSC4731.jpg

Our SAAB family:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-Ef9tz0aPJO8/UbapzP0nWwI/AAAAAAAAAZw/MF0nIbz-gb4/s912/DSC02341.JPG

- 5000K HID conversion with hidden ballasts
- Custom-made fog light CCFL halo rings (hand-dipped in resin for exterior all-weather use)
- Re-configured headlight switch to OFF/Auto/parking lights/ON
- Completely disabled TPMS
- JL 10” sub + JL mono amp
- USASpec iPod interface (can control iPod from stock radio, also charges iPod)
- All interior lights replaced with LEDs
- Custom green accent LEDs in front door panels/handles
- Custom Valentine 1 concealed color display
- Tunerdomes super bright LEDs on license plate with relay retrofit
- Hirsch rear diffuser
- Hirsch front splitters
- OEM SAAB front lip spoiler painted satin black, middle support bar also painted satin black
- OEM SAAB Griffin rear lip spoiler imported from Sweden, painted, and custom installed without drilling template
- BSR tuned stage 2
- Custom dual exhaust using OEM Aero V6 mufflers and 4 inch Vibrant exhaust tips
- Single electronic exhaust cutout with heavy duty rocker switch
- Koni Yellow Sport struts/shocks (rear at 1 full turn)
- SPC EZ Camber bolt pair front
- BSR intake w/oversized AEM Dryflow filter (7 inch media length)
- ACE Alloy V12 5x110 18x8 wheels/Continental ExtremeContact DW summers
- SAAB ALU50 17x7 wheels/Dunlop Winter Sport M3 performance snows
- OEM Saab mud mats
- Updated OEM rear badging , matte silver OEM Hirsch badge
- Painted brake calipers high-temp silver
- PIAA Sport Horn 500Hz/600Hz kit

i would love to know where you got those fog lights and for how much? and maybe do a vid or step by step how to install them. i have the fog light harness ready all i need is the headlight switch and im ready!

and how did you get that LED reverse light to work without it strobing? what part do you need?

swedespeed7
10th October 2013, 10:20 AM
i would love to know where you got those fog lights and for how much? and maybe do a vid or step by step how to install them. i have the fog light harness ready all i need is the headlight switch and im ready!

and how did you get that LED reverse light to work without it strobing? what part do you need?

berkeleydojah - do a search or read my build page from start to finish, lots of good info. Also, no need to re-quote the pictures every time you post. Are you clicking "quote" from my very first post every time? You can just click "Reply" at the bottom of the page.

The fog lights are not difficult to install, and they come with instructions when purchased from SAAB. The reverse light has 2 aftermarket relays that I installed, one on each side. There's also plenty of info on this, just do a search.

Good luck!

berkeleydojah
26th October 2013, 02:50 PM
ive been trying to do my tail lights in LED i just dont know how the installation works. ive been looking all over the place. a photo of your relay layout would be great!

swedespeed7
26th October 2013, 03:31 PM
ive been trying to do my tail lights in LED i just dont know how the installation works. ive been looking all over the place. a photo of your relay layout would be great!

I wouldn't bother with LED tail lights. Won't be bright enough, plus you don't even see them so you can't enjoy them!!!

Do a SC search for "LED relay". My posts should come up.

billm0066
28th October 2013, 02:50 PM

Functional led taillights would require a complete retrofit. Meaning opening the lights, creating boards, and soldering led's to the boards. I thought about learning a couple years ago but I just didnt have the time for it. hidplanet.com in the led section will be your best place to learn. If you want something a little easier, you can look into v-led elef bulbs. It's a pnp bulb with a hi power led with optics to distribute the light. Much easier than a retrofit, but it's not guaranteed how well they work on all lights. Results have been good so far from what I read.

Cafasco
30th October 2013, 01:53 AM

First off! That is one amazing looking 9-3! WOW! And all the custom bits you have done is nothing short of impressive! What a clean beautiful ride! And those wheels are so kick ***!

SHAT! I got FSDs to run with my oem springs last Jan/Feb. WOW did that make the car a joy to drive, yet have been yearning for a bit better cornering...found a good deal on H&R Sport springs. Contacted Koni...Rep said no problem works great. So I go for it. Well I traded great cornering for a bit of a bouncy annoying ride over rougher roads. So, I'm holding off on an alignment until I can decide...go with FSD and Aero springs or spring for the yellows n keep the H&R springs? UGH! I'm going crazy! But I'm glad to see your experience with the FSD/H&R >>> Yellow/H&R thing...now I'm drifting in that direction, but pisses me off I'm so stupid I didn't get that set up from the get go. GRRRRRRRRRRR. :)

swedespeed7
30th October 2013, 11:21 AM
First off! That is one amazing looking 9-3! WOW! And all the custom bits you have done is nothing short of impressive! What a clean beautiful ride! And those wheels are so kick ***!

SHAT! I got FSDs to run with my oem springs last Jan/Feb. WOW did that make the car a joy to drive, yet have been yearning for a bit better cornering...found a good deal on H&R Sport springs. Contacted Koni...Rep said no problem works great. So I go for it. Well I traded great cornering for a bit of a bouncy annoying ride over rougher roads. So, I'm holding off on an alignment until I can decide...go with FSD and Aero springs or spring for the yellows n keep the H&R springs? UGH! I'm going crazy! But I'm glad to see your experience with the FSD/H&R >>> Yellow/H&R thing...now I'm drifting in that direction, but pisses me off I'm so stupid I didn't get that set up from the get go. GRRRRRRRRRRR. :)

Thanks for the kind words!! And yeah I was pretty upset when I found out why my car was bouncing all over creation. Go for the Yellows with H&Rs, you won't regret it. Best combo I've ever been in for a daily driver.

96mn12
30th October 2013, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the kind words!! And yeah I was pretty upset when I found out why my car was bouncing all over creation. Go for the Yellows with H&Rs, you won't regret it. Best combo I've ever been in for a daily driver.

Do you have a side shot of the car? I wonder how low does it look compared to stock.

swedespeed7
30th October 2013, 12:42 PM
Do you have a side shot of the car? I wonder how low does it look compared to stock.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-WedyHiYR6HQ/UbahUH558hI/AAAAAAAAAWc/2BL5FCRCJgg/s1280/_DSC4637.JPG

berkeleydojah
31st October 2013, 02:15 AM
oops i do click quote lol. well i bought green LED dome lights and courtesy lights and they worked fine! no modifications! i wonder how the side marker lights would work. ill look it up.. i couldnt find the relay thread

swedespeed7
31st October 2013, 10:28 AM
oops i do click quote lol. well i bought green LED dome lights and courtesy lights and they worked fine! no modifications! i wonder how the side marker lights would work. ill look it up.. i couldnt find the relay thread

Changing interior lights to LEDs does not require any modification, since those bulbs aren't monitored. Side marker lights are a waste of money, I tried it (I already had old LEDs from my last car) and I couldn't tell the difference between LEDs and the incandescent bulbs, except the incandescent were brighter and had better light spread. Stay stock.

Here is the thread, scroll down to post #33 for my diagram: https://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167350&page=2

Cafasco
31st October 2013, 02:33 PM

Thanks! I will! I'm glad the yellows are the ticket with those springs. The bounce is annoying!;oops:

berkeleydojah
31st October 2013, 03:46 PM
eh it was a few dollars so i didnt mind. at least i would never have to change them again

berkeleydojah
20th November 2013, 04:42 AM
what kind of paint did you use to do your middle front bumper?

swedespeed7
20th November 2013, 09:31 AM
what kind of paint did you use to do your middle front bumper?

Flat black.

berkeleydojah
20th November 2013, 02:53 PM
is there a certain brand i should get? from an autoshop?

swedespeed7
20th November 2013, 03:33 PM
is there a certain brand i should get? from an autoshop?

Berkeley, I'm totally happy to help you out and tell you exactly what I've used for all my mods/projects, but you should take the plunge and try out a few things on your own! Plus, after you've finished, you'll be proud of your work and proud of the fact that you figured it out on your own. That's what makes SAAB owners and their cars stand apart from the cookie-cutter cars on the road. A little bit of originality goes a long way! I hope this doesn't come across as snobbish or rude, I'm just offering some genuine encouragement.

With that said, I just used basic Rustoleum flat black spray paint. Bought it at Home Depot.

berkeleydojah
20th November 2013, 11:53 PM
i gave up on the LED lights. i just switched out the whole interior lights with green LEDs to match the dash. yeah your right, i wish i knew alot about cars tho. this is my first car i try to find and do as much research as i can and also got the WIS for my car so im getting there! :cheesy:

i wanted to know what paint to get because all the black plastic exterior parts are almost gray now, so i wanted to redo all that without choosing the wrong paint. i wanna try doing a dyi for these FSD's i bought today unless theres already one.