Vermont "Six Gaps & a Gulf" Saab Cruise - 6/19/11 [Archive] - SaabCentral Forums

: Vermont "Six Gaps & a Gulf" Saab Cruise - 6/19/11

coggs
18th March 2011, 09:20 PM
Last year “serial Saab cruise organizer” Luke L. and I co-hosted a Saab Cruise thru the White Mountains of New Hampshire which culminated in the climb up the Mt. Washington Auto Road. We plan to do that again in the early fall but I’ve wanted to give the neighboring Green Mountains equal billing. So this June 19th I will be leading another New England cruise open to all Saab drivers. What I have planned is a 132 mile figure eight loop which includes the 6 major Gaps (“Yankee speak” for passes) as well as one lesser climb thru Vermont’s Green Mountains. This route is known in New England as “Six Gaps and a Gulf” and is popular with car and cycling clubs, as well as fall foliage “leaf peepers”. The start and finish is in Rochester, Vt. and the route will include the Middlebury, Lincoln and Brandon Gaps and the Granville Gulf. This is an extremely hilly route with total climbing in excess of 11,500 feet and sections on some of the grades exceeding 25%. Your car should be in good condition. Particular attention should be paid to make sure your brakes, clutch and cooling system are in good working order. A few short sections of the route are unpaved. Pace will be unhurried with stops to enjoy the vistas from several of the gap summits and to let your brakes and clutch cool off! Stops at general stores in the valleys are also planned. These are New England back roads and depending on turnout we may need to break up into smaller groups to avoid congestion on the road and at scenic areas. There will be an opportunity for the entire group to meet for a meal and group photo at the end of the day. I realize many people will have travel a distance to get to Rochester. As the date gets closer more information will be given about various convoy rendezvous locations & times, as well as info on possible hotel or camping accommodations.

I think these links don't violate forum guidelines.

You can visit the Face Book Event page for more information:
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=196296467059939

If you have not been on one of our cruises this video of last year's quickly thrown together "Saabs on the Summit" (Mt. Washington) should give you an idea.
http://www.vimeo.com/15824409

Jim C.

bigred222
19th March 2011, 02:32 PM
Sounds sick count me in

redrider7202
23rd March 2011, 09:52 AM
If i can make it i'll be there

bigred222
25th March 2011, 12:26 PM
whats the roster looking like so far? It'd be nice if i had someone to cruise up there with coming from the SW corner of CT

redrider7202
25th March 2011, 01:09 PM
I was thinking today that this is somewhere where a stay over wouldn't be bad. i'm talking six hours just in getting there and back at least. Maybe have to bring a second driver.

Saabman900
25th March 2011, 01:56 PM
Interesting.. I should be able to make this one. Sounds pretty cool.

EDIT: However my only issue though is the section about the "unpaved roads".. My car is lowered and not sure if its a good idea to bring it depending on that terrain.

Never mind. Just looked at that video. Seems like a couple of cars there are just as low or close to my height so I'm good to go lol.

jph28
25th March 2011, 05:09 PM
This post really makes me miss the VT mountains! I've taken my previous Saab ('88 9000T) through Lincoln Gap (and others) many times - now it's a bit of a drive for me ;)

watkins
25th March 2011, 07:31 PM
I might make it.

SaabVT
25th March 2011, 08:31 PM
Count me in, ;ol; though it's not much a drive from my doorstep. Beautiful scenery, and if weather cooperates, top down through the gaps is great fun.

coggs
25th March 2011, 09:34 PM
I know we have at least 8 cars going from the initial Facebook invite list. Don't think any of the posters here are from that list. So given the time we have to get the word out it wouldn't surprise me to get 20+ if it's a good weekend.

I wouldn't worry about the unpaved section. It's less than a mile of packed gravel and likely in better shape than some of the paved road we will be on. We had some low slung Viggens do Mt. Washington with no issues. I'm leaving my Sonett at home but because of the brakes (or lack thereof) :o, not the road clearance. I'll be doing a recon run a few weeks before and will report back.

I'm going to lead convoy up from my home just north of Worcester, Ma. It's about 3.5 hours from there to Rochester. Tack on a good 3 hours for the cruise and then the drive home and it's admittadly a long day. People could look into staying over. Not much in the Rochester area but White River Junction has hotels about 30 minutes away. There is also a nice camping area in Gaysville right near the rally point.

Thanks for everyone's interest so far.

04_maine aero
26th March 2011, 08:43 AM
I'd like to say count me in, it's a 3 hour drive from my house to rochester and it would kind suck doing the drive alone

Tentatively add me to the roster, it sounds like fun and I've actually never been to Mt Washington and I've lived an hour away my whole life, maybe I can meet up with some people to do the drive up to rochester.

coggs
26th March 2011, 07:08 PM
We had people from Portland do the Mt. Washington cruise. I'll keep you posted if we get anybody from the ME/NH seacoast expressing interest in Six Gaps. And we should have a date for Mt. Washington set by early July.

04_maine aero
26th March 2011, 08:39 PM
We had people from Portland do the Mt. Washington cruise. I'll keep you posted if we get anybody from the ME/NH seacoast expressing interest in Six Gaps. And we should have a date for Mt. Washington set by early July.

alright cool, ya idk if i could do 3 hours each way then a drive around on top of that, thinkin it might be a little too much

nastysaab
31st March 2011, 02:50 AM
well its been a long 5 years away from here. i'm finally back and id be def interested in this. Also living in the south shore of mass id like to meet up with a few guys for the cruise. New ride is a 2000 viggen 4dr silver. ( big plans for her )

redrider7202
31st March 2011, 10:02 AM
Any idea of the actual drive time for the loop?

Adrian92
31st March 2011, 10:41 AM
whats the roster looking like so far? It'd be nice if i had someone to cruise up there with coming from the SW corner of CT

If you're going, I might consider going, I'm from Central CT :D

coggs
31st March 2011, 12:02 PM
>>Drive time for the loop<<
I'll probably be doing a dry run in mid May and know better then, but since it's 132 miles I'd allow at almost 3.5 hours with stops. Some stretches are 55MPH, but they are the exception. There are a few options to bail out early as it's series of non-repeating loops. You would miss just the last two Gaps. You can see a map at the link below

http://www.northeastcycling.com/six_gaps_2007_files/six_gaps_map.pdf

mels
13th April 2011, 11:51 AM
Keeping an eye on this thread...

Saabman900
13th April 2011, 09:31 PM
well its been a long 5 years away from here. i'm finally back and id be def interested in this. Also living in the south shore of mass id like to meet up with a few guys for the cruise. New ride is a 2000 viggen 4dr silver. ( big plans for her )

Hey I live in the south shore and that would be awesome if I could drive up with someone else as well.

Adrian92
13th April 2011, 11:16 PM
Hey I live in the south shore and that would be awesome if I could drive up with someone else as well.

I too like mels, am keeping an eye on the thread. I'd be comming from the center of CT, so if mels is comming we can meet up. Then Saabman and nastysaab can also meet up, and all 4 of us could cruise up. Noslo also mentioned he might be interested in going, so that might be 5 of us from CT and Mass. Still a long time to go, but it'd be pretty cool to have a good turnout eh? ;ol;

Saabman900
14th April 2011, 09:23 AM
I too like mels, am keeping an eye on the thread. I'd be comming from the center of CT, so if mels is comming we can meet up. Then Saabman and nastysaab can also meet up, and all 4 of us could cruise up. Noslo also mentioned he might be interested in going, so that might be 5 of us from CT and Mass. Still a long time to go, but it'd be pretty cool to have a good turnout eh? ;ol;

Nice. Yeah would be cool to meet up with you guys just let me know once it gets closer where to meet up and I'll be there.

AeroJammer06
14th April 2011, 09:52 AM
On a side note, for the White Mountains meet up I have a house on New Found Lake that we should all meet at before/after for a big BBQ if we do it early enough in the fall. Absolutely incredible scenery up there, a glass lake surrounded by mountains is just stunning. Throw the colorful foliage in and its picture perfect! Ok, maybe a SAAB as well :)

coggs
14th April 2011, 02:07 PM
Sounds like fun. Issue I see is the Mt. Washington Run ("Saabs on the Summit") is already a very, very long day. A lot of people started the day at crack of dawn. There was a bit queqe to go up the Auto Road and we stopped at a pizza joint in N. Conway. Wasn't the fastest service but still, by the time we got back to I-93 it was dark. The CT and RI people didn't get home until after 8:00. What might work is a BBQ at Newfound Lake as an alternative to summiting Mt. Washington if the weather sucks (as it most often does!). We could just to the Kancamangus instead. Or if we do it on a Saturday (LL's call - it's his cruise) and you have room for folks to tent (ala Carlisle) that might work too.

bigred222
20th April 2011, 05:26 PM
If you're going, I might consider going, I'm from Central CT :D

sounds good man. ill let you know what my definate plans are. didnt want to drive all the way up there by myself.

possibly picking up another aero

SwedishChef
17th May 2011, 12:23 AM
You can add me to the list to the Mt. Washington area run when it comes up. I try to take a cruise up to this area one or two times a year and know the major routes up in the area.

A fun route if you do not want to go up Mt. Washington is to take the Kancamagus to Bear Notch Rd( The half-way point on the Kancamagus). Which will take you to Route 302. At Rte. 302 you can go right to head towards North Conway or the better route is left on 302 through Crawford Notch which will go past the Mt Washington Hotel and onwards through Franconia Notch and back toward I93. Very beautiful scenery in these areas and the roads are fantastic!

coggs
17th May 2011, 07:54 AM
I'll let you know as plans develope. Luke L. is the primary organizer for "Saabs on the Summit", I'll talk to him at Carlisle this weekend and make sure he's still going to pull this together and see if he has a weekend in mind. Despite the great weather we had last year mid October is pushing the envelope for the summit of that mountian. But sure is pretty for the rest of the drive.

coggs
2nd June 2011, 08:54 PM
Quick refresher update that the Six Gaps & a Gulf Saab cruise is still a go! It looks like we will have at least 20 cars. Plan is to meet in Bethel, Vt. around 11:15 on Sunday the 19th. Exact rendezvous spot not yet determined but likely a quick stop gas station / mini mart on Rt. 107 just off I-89 exit #3. Change in the start area means we will be doing the Gaps in a slightly different order, but it makes a lot more sense to do it this way.

I'm still trying to find a good place for the cruise participants to sit and eat as a group. Probably 2/3rds of the way through the loop in the Waitsfield area which will come mid afternoon, so bring a snack.

Please remember this is a rather extreme cruise with 11,000 feet of elevation gain in 133 miles, grades as steep as 24% and a few gravel sections. It's on a Sunday in a remote part of Vermont. Make sure your car is up to the task. It's a expensive tow home.

If you know of anybody interesrted in joining us please pass the word but I am trying to keep this Saab only due to the small back road nature of the route. As it is we may need to break up into two groups.

If it is a really crappy weather day the alternate plan is to take in the open house opportunity at the Collings Foundation vintage car and aeroplane collection in Stow, Ma. (not Vt!). It's only open a few days a year and is a very worthy alternative.

http://www.collingsfoundation.org/cf_OpenHouseEvents11.htm (http://www.collingsfoundation.org/cf_OpenHouseEvents11.htm)
http://www.collingsfoundation.org/cf_autos.htm

Eddy_AL
3rd June 2011, 11:57 PM
Damn..... I wish I was closer. I did this ride on a bicycle about 23 years ago.... Hmmm... The drive would take about 26 hours for to get there......

Cm452
7th June 2011, 05:50 PM
Mmm, well, I might go if I could go in convoy with other coastal Mass peeps:cheesy:
I do know its beautiful, but 3 hours, plus 4 hours, plus the 3 home, that's just asking for trouble. As a possibility to the ma crowd, maybe there is a hotel to split the drive into two pahhts;) Plus the shenanigans sure to ensue at said hotel rendezvous;)
-Cm

coggs
8th June 2011, 04:51 PM
>> but 3 hours, plus 4 hours, plus the 3 home, that's just asking for trouble.<<

On a normal working day I spend 10 hours away from home - and only two of those in my Saab. If your car is up for it (and that is a consideration for the Gaps loop part of this route) give it stong consideration. There are some people from the Boston area to convoy with - or meet me in Westminster (not the most direct route) and we can drive up together.

coggs
13th June 2011, 12:52 PM
Sorry for the late notice but I've finally selected a time and place to meet for the Six Gaps & a Gulf cruise.

M & N's Mini-Mart / Shell Gas
462 Vermont 107
South Royalton, Vermont

Very convenient to I-89. Just get off I-89 North at Exit #3 (Rt 107 Bethel / S. Royalton). Turn left at the end of the ramp, go about 150 yards and the Shell station is on your left. I've talked to a bunch of people and we are shooting to meet there at 11:30. I'll send each person that confirms my cell number so you can call if circumstances have you running late. But please try to be on time. It's going to be a long enough day.

Looks like we will have a group leaving from the Keene, NH to head up to the start of the cruise. If interested in joining that group just let me know. Right now the long term weather forecst calls for a beautiful day.

Rarelibra
15th June 2011, 09:32 AM
>> but 3 hours, plus 4 hours, plus the 3 home, that's just asking for trouble.<<

On a normal working day I spend 10 hours away from home - and only two of those in my Saab. If your car is up for it (and that is a consideration for the Gaps loop part of this route) give it stong consideration. There are some people from the Boston area to convoy with - or meet me in Westminster (not the most direct route) and we can drive up together.

If I didn't have to head down to NC this weekend, I would have driven the 9 hrs up on SAT, did the gaps on SUN, and drove back on MON.

bigred222
16th June 2011, 01:53 AM
Anyone from ct ri ny or mass or south of ny pm me so we don't have to drive up by ourselves looks like 1 confirmed for goin up with me at the momennt pm me please let's make the drive up more fun

coggs
16th June 2011, 07:57 AM
Looking forward to having you on the cruise. Right now I'm not aware of anybody coming from that part of Ct. Most people seem to be coming from Mass, RI and easter Ct. We have a small group meeting in Keene NH and hopping on to I-91 at the Ma/VT border but that's about 2/3rd of the way to Bethel. Heading south at the end of the day i'm sure there will be a group to spend part of the drive with.

Weather for Sunday is looking GREAT!

What are you driving?

bigred222
16th June 2011, 09:03 AM
The guy who I sold my car too wants to go so were goin together.

bigred222
16th June 2011, 03:44 PM
gps is pointing me directly up 91 almost all the way. anyone right off of it give me a call. pm for #

bigred222
19th June 2011, 07:06 AM
Bigred222 and Noslo enroute

Saabman900
19th June 2011, 09:02 AM
Looks like I can't make it. If you have it next year count me in or if you do something similar later in the season I'm in for sure.

bigred222
20th June 2011, 11:55 AM
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c108/zzgocartman/2011-06-19_11-19-20_605.jpg

Rarelibra
20th June 2011, 12:11 PM
So bummed I couldn't make it (but for a good reason - my Saab now has 17" 5-spoke EVOs).

Look forward to participating in the next event!

Cm452
20th June 2011, 11:10 PM
PLEASE keep the Mt. Washington Event! I'd love to do that one, especially since I hope to be stg 6 by the end of the summer and cold air +moutains+stg 6=:D:D:D
I'm pumped already!
-Cm

shipjumper
21st June 2011, 08:56 PM
where is VT again?

Saabman900
21st June 2011, 09:22 PM
PLEASE keep the Mt. Washington Event! I'd love to do that one, especially since I hope to be stg 6 by the end of the summer and cold air +moutains+stg 6=:D:D:D
I'm pumped already!
-Cm

I'd definitely be interested in the Mt. Washington event as well. Keep us posted ;ol;

Rarelibra
21st June 2011, 09:31 PM
where is VT again?

It's a suburb of Boston.. :lol:

bigred222
22nd June 2011, 02:15 PM
i'd definitely be interested in the mt. Washington event as well. Keep us posted ;ol;
yes when when when!!!!!!

bigred222
22nd June 2011, 02:15 PM
can someone make a online photo album of any videos or pictures anyone took please. alot on facebook but would be nicer to have them all in one place

shipjumper
22nd June 2011, 02:16 PM
It's a suburb of Boston.. :lol:

depends on the end! the north east kingdom is a suburb of canuckenstan, kee-beck, eh?

04_maine aero
26th June 2011, 09:20 AM
I'd definitely be interested in the Mt. Washington event as well. Keep us posted ;ol;

If you still have the saab..............

I'm pumped already!
-Cm

I as well would like to do the mount washington trip, how can there be only 1 picture of this event posted?

beyonce
26th June 2011, 09:01 PM
I'm pumped already!
-Cm

Oh there will be another Mt. Washington this year. Just make sure you have Stg6 brakes and coolant.

beyonce
26th June 2011, 09:03 PM
It's actually a really nice drive up, with views that just get progressively better, then you hit the auto road and it's actually pretty scary, but you can't stop because it's just too steep and narrow, and the whole thing is kind of stressful going up. I popped out of gear last year...

Rarelibra
26th June 2011, 09:10 PM
Oh there will be another Mt. Washington this year. Just make sure you have Stg6 brakes and coolant.

And your description of what Stg6 brakes and coolant means?