Fitting Steering Rack Brace & Uprated rear ARB - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab NG900, 1994-1998 and OG9-3, 1999-2002 & '03 Convertible (NG=new gen/OG=old gen) > NG900 & OG9-3 Performance, Mods & Tuning

NG900 & OG9-3 Performance, Mods & Tuning Covers Tuning & Performance modifications for the NG900 (1994 to 1998) & OG9-3 (1999-2002) & '03 Convertible

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 18th February 2007
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Jan 2003                                                
My Saabs: Sensonic NG900T, a gagle of rusty c900's
Thumbs up Fitting Steering Rack Brace & Uprated rear ARB

Just spent the day doing these two so thought i'd do a little write-up with pic's to help anyone else wanting to do the mods.

Started with the Rack Brace, it's reletively straight forward, i've got no A/c so that's a bonus as the a/c pipes can get in the way. You need a standard 13mm socket for the top bolt and ideally a longer socket for the bottom nut as the stud head protrudes out quite far, once they are both off with the use of a pry-bar you can loosten the old clamp, work it away at the bottom to start with as you have to clear the stud, once you get the clamp over that it comes away reletively easily with a bit of manouvering, the rubber bush can then be pulled away.

The back plate goes on without any real issues, again try to get the bottom placed over the stud then rotate it until the top is lined up, the outer part of the brace goes on without any issues.

The brace is reletively straight forward to fit, just one bolt to remove from the ABS box mount and it can be positioned.

After it is all tightened up you will most likley need to loosen it to get rid of any stiffness in the steering, i've had to loosen it of by about 2-3 turns top and bottom and there is still a bit of stiffness, just remember to loosen the bolt to the brace before adjusting the bottom bolt head, you can just about fit a 17mm spanner in the space availiable so you don't need to completely remove the brace to adjust the clamp, remember to re-tighten the brace nut once you have loosened off the main bolt head.

That's it, probably about 30 mins to fit then after 3-4 adjustments the steering should feel about right, you can tell if it's to tight as the steering goes from being power assisted to feeling like a manual rack!

Last edited by Si; 18th February 2007 at 04:07 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18th February 2007
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Mar 2006                                                
My Saabs: 1997 900SE 2.0t

Everything is on the wrong side!

Quite the improvement, eh?
Old 18th February 2007
Saab on the Brain!

Now for the Uprated rear ARB, this is a little trickier, but should'nt take more than an hour. As i'm pretty lanky i could do this without getting the car up on a ramp, so if your over about 12 stone, you may end up getting wedged under the car!

If you don't have access to metal cutting tools, i would consider getting it done in a garage as some of the bolts holding the standard ARB can be a bugger to remove, of the four, one came loose, one would'nt budge and on the last two the bolt head snapped off, it maybe advisable to spray them down with WD40 or one of the bolt loosening sprays 24hrs before hand to avoid the above.

So as i could'nt get one bolt out i had to grind the head off, once that was done using a pry bar again you can ease the ARB off.

Now the second problem, i could'nt get the top plate with the nuts out because of the remains of the 2 bolts which the heads snapped off, so out with the grinder again and remove the excess length on the bolts, then after 10-20 mins of wangling the top plate/nuts can be extracted.

The next part is easier if you pop the plastic clamp holding the brake line & ABS wiring off the ARB mount.

Now using my head to rest the uprated ARB i got the outer bolts in place as you have a little more room to hold the nuts in place while you push the bolt up though. Once you have to 2 outer bolts in place i found it handy to gaffer tape the ARB to the axle so it sits in the right place.

Once you have got the 2 inner nuts/washers in place you can push the bolt up and turn it a few times to hold the nut on.

As you are working upside down i found it easier to use a couple of 14mm spanners to tighten the nuts/bolts, holding the ratchet upside down for more than a few mins made my shoulders hurt!
Hey presto, Uprated ARB fitted!

Last edited by Si; 18th February 2007 at 04:08 PM.
Old 18th February 2007
Saab on the Brain!

Quote:
Everything is on the wrong side!
No it's on the RIGHT SIDE (looking at the engine bay anyway!)

Quote:
Quite the improvement, eh?
I think i'll probably need to loosen the rack brace off a bit more, but i will report back later with my thoughts .

Edit, i've had to loosen it off a little more as it was getting very tight near full lock on either side, maybe another 1/2 turn required now to get it perfect.

Excellent overall, well worth doing both of these mod's, if your buying a NG900 budget getting the rack brace & ARB with the price, it makes a huge difference.

Steering is so much more solid, does'nt ramdomly want to change directions when the wheels are on different surfaces or when you put the power down.

One happy bunny .

Last edited by Si; 18th February 2007 at 04:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement