Shifting problem - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab C900, 1979-1993 & '94 Convertible (C=classic) > C900 Workshop

C900 Workshop Classic 900 (1979-1993 & '94 Convertible) Technical Forum.

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 23rd January 2007

Join Date: Nov 2006                                                
My Saabs: 1984 Saab 900 Turbo
Default Shifting problem

Having sorted at first thought my rich running problem (most likely a leak somewhere), I've got another problem which I would appreciate to no end if someone can help me out.

Unlike most shifting problems (5spd 84' T8), mine is beautiful at cold (notchy but goes into any gear reverse included, no whine, no jumping out of gear, downshifting OK but generally no problems). When it gets warm, it doesnt like to engage 1st gear at stationary. However if u roll to a traffic light stop, u can engage it like if it were cold. It also doesn't like reverse (even if u engage 1st gear first) and it crunches. All this problems only occur when the engine is warm, cold is beautiful. Which leads me to believe has something to do with oil? I'm using 10w30 pennzoil engine oil.

Also, when the engine is hot and is switched off, the gear changing (which was difficult before) suddenly becomes much better. Can anyone diagnose my problem please?

THanks (from a grateful saab owner)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 23rd January 2007
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Dec 2005                                                
My Saabs: 87 900t CV

Try shifting into third (keep the clutch down) and then going for 1st.
Works well...
There is no 1st gear synchro on these so you have to stop the cluter from spinning.
Old 23rd January 2007
Saabista

Join Date: Dec 2002                                                
My Saabs: 1989 900t, 1990 900t, 1990 900 S, 87 SPG

There is a synchro it's just weak...

What you want to do is match the speeds of the gears. Often releasing the clutch in neutral will slow down the input shaft to a good speed for engaging the gear. For example when I do stop signs on the arterial road to get out every morning, I go in 3rd around 35 mi/h, let go of the gas until 2000 revs, start braking, clutch in, neutral, clutch out, as I am just approaching the stop line, I push clutch and it slips into second beautifully since I am going precisely idle speed in 2nd gear. For 1st the same thing can be used but you are going much slower. If you are stopped (say red light), and idling in neutral, now the input shaft is too fast and you want to stop it. Just throw it in a forward gear like 3rd or 4th with a meaty synchro and it goes.

One thing I definately notice is that if you hold the clutch down for an extra second or two, it slips into 1st much much easier. I guess drag in the primary chains and in the gearbox slow the speed of the assembly so it is easier for the 1st gear synchro to immobilize it.
Turbo allows the valiant who has appeared at the wheel SAAB to gain momentum for 200 km/h Charm SAAB Turbo also that it to you not bad Porsche on it it is possible with speed of pregnant turtle feeling itself in full comfort which by the way our hero obeys a rudder reliably and confidently the truth management hardly will twirl a steering wheel by one finger uneasy. Without the hydraulic booster quickly enough perishes a steering shaft, but to change its hemorrhoids from the most fierce
Old 24th January 2007

Wow, that is quite technical . How come it only happens when the car's hot? Does the viscosity of the oil have anything to do with it? Also, it gets shifts fine when the engine is off so I'm guessing the linkages are good? Thanks for all the replies.
Old 24th January 2007
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 900t
There is a synchro it's just weak...
Are you sure about that?
From what I have been told, there is no synchro for 1st or reverse on the c900
Old 24th January 2007
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jul 2005                                                
My Saabs: '91 900 T16S on Megasquirt2/Extra

Think about it, first never crunches in the same way that reverse does, at least not for me. Its just difficult to engage. I find the best thing to do is to put it into first while rolling to a stop, then put it back into neutral while waiting for the lights etc. Now when you put it back into first it is lined up and will go straight in. YMMV.
Old 24th January 2007
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Feb 2006                                                
My Saabs: Wife's 9-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasaab
From what I have been told, there is no synchro for 1st or reverse on the c900
There is a first gear synchronizer, just as big and strong as the others. The first 4 gears all have the same part# synchro. First gear synchro just has a lot more work to do matching a spinning shaft with a stationary one.
There is no reverse synchro, but there is a brake that slows the shaft as you engage reverse.

10w-30 is the correct oil, your shiftng sounds normal to me.
Old 24th January 2007

Thanks Jim, and I'll try that manoeuvre next time at the lights philb. CHeers for all your input .
Old 24th January 2007
Saab Lunatic

Thanks Jim!
I was told there was not and either way, have adopted shifting into third right before first... Works like a charm.
Advertisement