98 900 SE Convertible "Check Latches" - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab NG900, 1994-1998 and OG9-3, 1999-2002 & '03 Convertible (NG=new gen/OG=old gen) > NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop

NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop NG900 (1994 to 1998) & OG9-3 (1999-2002) & '03 Convertible Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 18th January 2007
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Jan 2007                                                
My Saabs: 1982 900, 1963 SAAB 96
Default 98 900 SE Convertible "Check Latches"

I just recently bought a 900 SE convertible. I love it!

An annoying, albeit minor, problem is that when I start to move from a dead stop, the SID comes up with "Check Latches" and the accompanying warning sound. I can clear it by pressing any button on the SID. Sometimes it goes away on its own. You can imagine in traffic that it gets pretty annoying.

So, I checked all of the latches and they seem to be making contact appropriately. The only thing I haven't done is try to drive it with the top down to see if I get the same effect. Maybe when the temperature climbs above freezing I'll give that a shot!

Anyway, is anyone aware of this being a problem in general with convertibles? What can I check or do to isolate the problem and troubleshoot?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18th January 2007

Join Date: Dec 2006                                                
My Saabs: '06 Chili 9-3 Aero Manual

I think you'll get better results in the other forum that is for your model/year...

Maybe you can have a mod move it for you
Old 18th January 2007

My Saabs: 95 900 SE 4dr

Check latches meeans that the TSAS (convertible top) computer is not seeing a signal from one or more of the microswitches in the header (top of the windshield) or in the tonneau cover.

It's relatively easy to check with a tech II, a bit more time consuming without. If you look in the hole where the 1st rail studs seat in the header, you should see a tiny litle arm from the microswitches - make sure these depress enough when the studs seat in the hole.

SAme thing on the tonneau cover - there are two microswitches in the 5th bow latch holes, make sure these depress when the 5th bow catches go in.
Old 18th January 2007
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jan 2003                                                
My Saabs: '03 Audi allroad 2.7T with tip

Most of the time when this happens, it means that one or both of your header latches have worked loose - the sensor is picking up slight movement upon acceleration. Usually just a tighten of the nut solves it - that was the case on my '98...

Sold but never forgotten:
2003 9-3 SE Convertible, Midnight Blue Metallic / Beige, '03 Sport Kit, Sport Seats, Double 3-Spokes;
1998 900 SE vert - Amethyst Violet Mica Metallic...

Old 18th January 2007
SaabNut!

Join Date: Nov 2006                                                
My Saabs: 1996 900 SE Turbo

When I first got my 99 9-3 SE vert I had this problem even on the test drive, but for me it was nothing sensor related, it was very simple. When the top is up and in the locked position if you even touch the top button moving it to the rear slightly on the switch pack, it will trigger this SID alert. I am not sure if your problem is this simple, but just give it a try, next time you get that warning push the top switch forward all the way and see if that helps. Otherwise go with the professional advise above ^
Old 18th January 2007
Saab Crazy

Thanks everyone. I'll be checking everything out when I get home tonight. I'll repost when I get it figured out.
Old 19th January 2007
Saab Crazy

Ok, so when I left work yesterday, I checked to make sure that the roof switch was all the way forward. It was, but I noticed that it could go further and sort of stick forward, like when you raise or lower the windows all the way. So, with it in that position, Check Latches does not show in the SID. I noticed that I could hold it a little past it's normal position and Check Latches doesn't show there either.

So, I'm thinking this is a switch issue. Is there a way to adjust it? Leaving it "past forward" works but I'm concerned that I could, perhaps, be sending a signal to the roof motor continuously?

I know I must sound clueless here. I just don't want to tank my pretty new Saab and, honestly, the Fiat 124 I rebuilt in college didn't have all of these bells and whistles.
Old 19th January 2007

My Saabs: 95 900 SE 4dr

It's been a while, but if memory serves, the microswitches are held in place with two phillips screws, and have a little bit of play in the holes - aka adjustment room.

I seem to remember that getting to the screws was a pain, involving the removal and regluing of some weatherstrips, so I'm pretty sure that we would bend the microswitch's little metal arm outward in order for it to more positively contact the header rail latch post.

if you take a digi pic down either of those holes, I can show you what to do
Old 19th January 2007
SaabNut!

Join Date: Nov 2006                                                
My Saabs: 1996 900 SE Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by longjon76
So, I'm thinking this is a switch issue. Is there a way to adjust it? Leaving it "past forward" works but I'm concerned that I could, perhaps, be sending a signal to the roof motor continuously?

I know I must sound clueless here. I just don't want to tank my pretty new Saab and, honestly, the Fiat 124 I rebuilt in college didn't have all of these bells and whistles.
Well i wouldnt leave it past forward although it is supposed to snap back once released and return to the center position, this could be your problem. I would just leave it in the normal center position, then next time you get the SID warning push it forward for a second or two and see if the message goes away. At least then you will know that it is related to the switch.

not at all, the bells and whistles just take a little time to get to know, then you will appreciatethe car even more.
Old 26th September 2012

Join Date: Apr 2012                                                
My Saabs: 900se
Default latches

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Ted View Post
Most of the time when this happens, it means that one or both of your header latches have worked loose - the sensor is picking up slight movement upon acceleration. Usually just a tighten of the nut solves it - that was the case on my '98...
I just had my "check latches" come on. I tried pressing the conv. switch forward, and no luck. What nuts are I m to tighten?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement