dash removal - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab C900, 1979-1993 & '94 Convertible (C=classic) > C900 Workshop

C900 Workshop Classic 900 (1979-1993 & '94 Convertible) Technical Forum.

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 9th January 2007

Join Date: Mar 2006                                                
My Saabs: 1992 900 turbo convertible
Default dash removal

I'm trying to put a cd player in my 92 900, how do you take this dash apart? it seems as though the face (where all the buttons for the heat, etc are) slides right out,but it doesnt. i found 3 or 4 very long screws, i removed them from the bottom, including the one above the ash trey, any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 9th January 2007
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Jun 2006                                                
My Saabs: T16S

Quote:
i found 3 or 4 very long screws
There are 4 - make sure you remove them fully or you will break the mountings on the back.

You will also have to reach in the radio slot and unclip the vaccum connection from behind the air recirculation dial. Also all the remaining switches, dials etc will have to be disconnected after the dash has been pulled forward enough to reach behind.
Make a note of which connection fits which switch - there are lots.
The electric window controls connector pulls at a slight angle.

Dan.

Last edited by Dans_t16s; 9th January 2007 at 05:11 PM.
Old 9th January 2007

Join Date: Jan 2007                                                
My Saabs: 1986 900 turbo, 1989 900 turbo, 1982 tur

be aware of the long rod going to the heater temp control. When you put the dash back in you can reach through the speaker opening on top of the dash with one hand to line things up with the back of the dial.
Old 9th January 2007

Join Date: Dec 2003                                                
My Saabs: '92 900LPT, '90 900i vert

Why are you trying to take out the dash? There's a slot above the ventilation controls just for the CD player. You just need to locate the wiring in there, pull it out and connect up to the CD player.

or am I missing something?
Old 10th January 2007
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Oct 2002                                                
My Saabs: 86 900T

Yah I agree.. I've never taken the facia off to put a cd player in. Unless you're putting something other than a the typical DIN size in. Or are trying to run wires to a cd changer or something, either eay, I've always been able to do it by taking the front speakers out and laying under feeding wires through. Infact I rewired my entire car that way with larger guage wire.

One screw is on the clear left, one is to the left of the steering wheel, one to the right, and one clear on the right end. Keep them in order, they should have marks on them stating which position they go in, but mine were fiddled with and I think some of them came from a UK model or something becuase the lines are all screwed up, even through they still fit. They pull down, they're very long. Then if you unhook all of the buttons, AS WELL as the reostat for the dash lite illumination, then you should be ready to pull it out.

But why bother.
Old 10th January 2007

Join Date: Dec 2006                                                
My Saabs: 1986 900s Silver and Rust 221,000 k's

I just installed a deck in my 86 900s last week and i did in fact not properly mark the giant screws, and so i think i may have put them back in properly according to the hanes manual (scketchy at best) but i'm not suffering because the dash rattles worse than any car i've ever been in. But i agree, my new deck came with a tool that we kind of jimmed in and could have (but didnt) use to pull out the oem clarion, so its possibly to replace without removing dash facia.
Old 10th January 2007
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: May 2003                                                
My Saabs: Yamaha FZ6 Fazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by S. Speed
i did in fact not properly mark the giant screws
They're marked already with rings on them from 1-4.
Old 10th January 2007

Join Date: Aug 2005                                                
My Saabs: 1987 900 SPG Turbo

I also think you shouldnt have to take apart your entire dash. When you buy a deck it comes with the tools you need to pull out the stock deck. Just pop them in on the sides and you can slide it out. If you dont have those you can use hack saw blades (more ticky) or just ask a shop for the tools (they usualy have millions of them sitting around) I have installed a clarion pro audio deck with Ipod interface and Satalite interface. The two interfaces are big boxes that i was able to up behind my dash withough haveing to remove anything other than the deck and one of the front speaker covers. Maybe im missing something here but it seams overkill.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement