SAI Pump pooping out. - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Cabrio ('04+), Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > 9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop

9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X , 2003 - 2012 Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 28th December 2006
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: May 2003                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9³SS Arc, 100k+ miles
Default SAI Pump pooping out.

Hi all. Had to pop in for a check see. Nice to see all the familiar faces around!

Yesterday I took the ol boy in for 2 recalls, one of which being the gas cap thing. I had a CEL, but they said the cap wasn't throwing the code. What was? My SAI pump.

Sigh.

So here's the cursory research I did so far (hard since SC won't let me search for SAI):
  • A new SAI costs around $305. Grrrr.
  • They were only on 2003 models (thanks ctrlz) so maybe it's redundant/no needed?
  • Labor to replace it will run around $3-400 (a 3 hr job)
  • My pump is not dead yet, but will be soon.
Here are my questions:
  1. Can I just rip it off my car, and if so, how? Has anyone done anything like this? (I have no emmisions requirements in MI).
  2. Has anyone replaced one on their own? If it takes a tech 3 hrs, that scares me.
  3. Even if I did pull off replacement, I'd prolly have to ask a tech to check/clear the code, right?
  4. Could it be the SAI sensor? It's a HECK of an easier fix, and that sucker's only $87.
  5. Are there seperate codes for Pump failure vs Sensor failure?

Thanks all...Sorry I ain't been round the hood more...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28th December 2006
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Aug 2005                                                
My Saabs: 2000 9-3 Base Coupe

I think the car will absolutely freak if you just rip it out. Oh, it will run fine, but you'll have to put some electrical tape over the CEL. The SAI is designed into the ECU software for 2003. Its part of the emissions system. There's no getting around that.
Old 28th December 2006
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Aug 2003                                                

I suspect this car runs clean enough without the SAI, and that's why it was deleted in subsequent years.

What does the SAI sensor do? I'll have to look into that. Does it simply measure output pressure from the SAI pump, verifying that the pump is in fact working?

If you read the WIS, you will note that the SAI is only used for a short time during a cold start. It is really not needed in most operating conditions.

Deleting the pump...
AFAIK it is illegal to delete orginal emissions equipment in almost all states. Doesn't matter if the car passes emissions levels without the equipment. The requirement is for the original equipment to be present and operating properly. In New Jersey the CEL cannot be lit for the car to pass inspection, regardless of how the vehicle actually performs in the tests.

Assuming it is legal to delete the SAI in Michigan, you probably need to fool the ECM into thinking it is there. That requires knowing more about the SAI sensor. Plugging up the hole in the airbox is easy (SAI inlet). The outlet from the pump goes through a silver check valve that is easy to see on 2003's. It is mounted just to the right of the engine as you face the car. Capping off a tube there would be pretty easy.

Look at post #1 in this thread. The check valve is top center. It would be very easy to cap off where that short run of black hose is attached.
SAI inlet is lower right, attached to the airbox by a 90 deg fitting.
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=90122

So how does the SAI sensor work?

May not be as easy as I thought if it works like this:
http://www.gti-vr6.net/library/engin...injection.html

Last edited by ctrlz; 28th December 2006 at 02:44 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 28th December 2006
Saab Crazy

Join Date: May 2005                                                
My Saabs: 06 93 TiD Combi, #2 TiD Combi soon

Sadly those SAI pumps fill up with water from condensation. Theres gotta be a way to rig the new one so it drains or drill a hole and fit a plug?
Old 28th December 2006

Join Date: Dec 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9-3ss

The SAI pump for my '03 just went bad last week. $800 parts and labor (ugh!). I'm hearing a lot of things about these pumps going bad. Any chance of a technical bulletin for Saab or (god forbid) a recall on these things -- or do these typically only last 60,000 miles?
Old 28th December 2006
SaabNut!

Join Date: Dec 2004                                                

My SAI pump went bad last month. Covered under warranty.

Lots of water in the thing. The computer program that Saab uses went step-by-step in diagnosing the problem. It turned out to be the SAI.

I just learned that the fuel filter in the 9-3 is incorporated into the fuel tank. You have to drop the tank to change the filter!
Old 28th December 2006
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Mar 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2006 93 2.0T

If the SAI pump really isn't needed then Saab could issue an update to disable it.

GM did something similar about 15 years ago--apparently they had cars with both MAF (mass air flow) and MAP (manifold absolute pressure) sensors. The MAF sensors had problems so GM issued new firmware (it was on a "MEMCAL" module in those days) that told the computer not to use the MAF sensor anymore and to use the MAP sensor instead.
Old 29th December 2006
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jul 2003                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-3 Aero Vtuner Stage 0 Rev 2.0
Garage

Uh oh. I have had my CEL coming on and off for a while now. I have a custom intake system. I really hope they wont void my warranty if that was the case.
Old 17th February 2011

Join Date: Feb 2011                                                
My Saabs: 9-3 Linear 2.0Turbo
Default SAI Recall

I called Saab to see if there has been a recall on this part. It seems that a lot of us owners have had similar problems. I was told that if enough owners call Saab and complain that they have cars with faulty Secondary Air Injection Pumps and Valves that they could issue a recall. If you have replaced the parts and a recall is issued Saab will issue a refund to you. I have filed a formal complaint with Saab on these parts PLEASE do the same. Saab 1-800-955-9007
Old 18th February 2011
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jun 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9-3SS Arc 6MT BSR Stg1.

If your handy with a set of wrenches and a few sockets, the SAI pump can be changed in under 2 hours. The hardest part will be getting the top starter bolt out.

I did mine last summer, and after some exploratory surgery, the culprit to the whole issue is actually the diaphragm inside the SAI pump check valve. The diaphragm is a soft rubber and after a while the heat from the exhaust and it's normal operation causes the rubber to disintegrate and allow hot exhaust gases to cool in the SAI system and condense, thus corroding and rusting out the motor for the SAI pump.
Old 18th February 2011
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jun 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9-3 Linear 2.0t

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweedishChef View Post
If your handy with a set of wrenches and a few sockets, the SAI pump can be changed in under 2 hours. The hardest part will be getting the top starter bolt out.

I did mine last summer, and after some exploratory surgery, the culprit to the whole issue is actually the diaphragm inside the SAI pump check valve. The diaphragm is a soft rubber and after a while the heat from the exhaust and it's normal operation causes the rubber to disintegrate and allow hot exhaust gases to cool in the SAI system and condense, thus corroding and rusting out the motor for the SAI pump.
Based on the route cause outlined above, and if by "SAI pump check valve" you mean the silver thing we all test by sticking our finger in (that does not sound good as I write it), it might be beneficial for 03 owners to PROACTIVLY change out the SAI valve and spend the $90 now vs $800 later. 4-5 years may be a good lifetime for the valve before the diaphram deterioration you reference sets in.

Based on dealer paper I got on my 03 when I purchased it used, says dealer "replaced SAI return valve and gasket" (I assume that the silver SAI valve itself). This was done in June 08. I may put a new one one in 2 yrs or so if car is still going strong.
Old 27th March 2012

Join Date: Jul 2007                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9-3 2.0T Vector
Garage
Default Sai pump

Is there a way to take the harness off the old seized pump and maybe put a resistor or capacitor in the harness to fool the ECU? My light just came on and I am not paying for some crap emissions pump.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement