SaabCentral Forums banner

High performance spark plugs

2K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  SaabScott 
#1 ·
OK ... I've seen a few postings about spark plugs and every one of them seems to recommend using the stock plug over platinum plugs.

Has anyone tried the new Iridium plugs?
http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/products/cars_trucks_suvs/iridiumix.asp?nav=11420&country=US

I have used these in a couple of cars and they seem to work at least as well as the platinum plugs ... and the ratings seem to suggest they are better than platinum.

So, are there any reasons that I should not try these plugs?

#4 ·
I wouldn't write these plugs off altogether. They're made by NGK who are excellent manufacturers. If they recomend a variety for your particular engine, why not give it a try? Agree with oslowley though, the handbook advises use of a particular spark plug because that's what is already considered to give optimum performance for your engine. As a final point, clean, correctly gapped generic plugs will probably perform better than the finest in the world if these are filthy and gapped incorrectly.

#5 ·
I understand that car companies use certain plugs for a reason, but they can only use what is current ... and since technologies are changing constantly (and improving for the most part), I'm just wondering if anyone has tried current plugs and if so, have they noticed any sort of difference.

If not, then I will do some further investigation before I install them myself (I'll keep a spare stock set on hand in case) and let everyone know how they work.

#7 ·
Its either you're ignorant, or you're ignorant. There's no reason to be acting like a child, if you have a point, state it and move on. The electrical systems on most new cars are especially sensitive, what is the purpose of having a hotter spark plug when not only can the car not utilize it but these same Godsend plugs can and probably will damage your cars ignition system.

#8 ·
On the same point, unlike Mr whippy the 2 post king, I am speaking from experience, the heat range of the plugs have to be compatible with the cars ignition system. On my 330 I decided to do the service myself and went to the neighbourhood autoparts store and bought the most expensive sparkplugs there, guess what 2 weeks later check engine light $1500 dollars of damage directly attributed to the plugs (oxy sensors , ingition etc.)

#9 ·
This is quoted from a developer of the Saab Trionic Engine Management System.

Hi !
We have done extensive sparkplug tests in our labs, the result so far is USE ONLY NGK sparkplugs. For T5 cars use BCPR7ES-11 gapped to 1.10 mm if you have got a few extra horses under the hood. If the engine misfires at high boost, maybe reduce the gap slightly.
But, 1.10 mm has proven to work nice in a 300 bhp setup. And, yes, the plugs has to be replaced more frequently, then you get the chance do inspect "whats going on" inside the combustion chambers.

Since the plug is being used as a ion sensor, both the shape and material is important for the ion result. Incorrect ion current results in a false knocksignal, this can be either way, indicating knock without really knocking. Or even worse, NOT indicating knock when it´s knocking, as a result there can be extensive engine damage. This is the reason why you MUST use the correct brand and type of plugs.

So, please, do your selves a favor, trust the results from our labs, we have done the tests for you.....

#11 ·
I've heard the same thing from an experienced auto-electrician, modern engine ECU design relies heavily from a feedback signal from the plugs, you must be careful what you fit. I would like to find out though how sensitive the V6 is to plug fitment as it is an engine sold through about 5 or 6 GM subsiduries, with differing part choice.

#12 ·
2 weeks later check engine light $1500 dollars of damage directly attributed to the plugs (oxy sensors , ingition etc.)
That's scarey :( Did you try chasing the spark plug manufacturer for compensation :-??

I'm still stuck with the feeling that if NGK (for example) recomend a componant for your car then it should be OK but agree with the principal that while technology moves on, you're stuck with technology in engine and componants that's at least as old as the car.

#15 ·
I recently blew out my old DI cassette and I was told by my SAAb tech. that it was because of the plugs. I was using a slightly diifferent model NGK than I was supposed to. Stick to stock.

#16 ·
Mr Whippy said:
Thats just dumb really, the iridium plugs available now, are better than stock items.
********* :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:*********

They may be better for some applications, but the Saab Trionic system, along with the DI cassette, REQUIRES the construction and materials of the stock NGKs! So, in the Saab, the iridium plugs are NOT better than the stock...

#17 ·
I just had the oil, plugs, and air filter replaced in my car yesterday ... and WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!

I used the stock NGK plugs, gapped as recommended, and everything seems to be great.
The engine is idling smoother, acceleration is smoother, and every other aspect of the drive train has been improved.

Thanks for all of the feedback ... your advise has been taken!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.