Please sign petition against the Gov't pay by mile proposal - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab Cafe > The Lounge

The Lounge For general discussions

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 29th November 2006

Join Date: Jan 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2000 93 SE LTP, 1986 Carrera 911 3.23
Default Please sign petition against the Gov't pay by mile proposal

The governmentıs proposal to introduce road pricing will mean you having to purchase a tracking device for your car and paying a monthly bill to use it.

The tracking device will cost about £200 and in a recent study by the BBC, the lowest monthly bill was £28 for a rural florist and £194 for a delivery driver.

A non working Mum who used the car to take the kids to school paid £86 in one month.

On top of this massive increase in tax, you will be tracked. Somebody will know where you are at all times. They will also know how fast you have been going, so even if you accidentally creep over a speed limit you can expect an NIP with your monthly bill.

If you care about our freedoms and stopping the constant bashing of the Car/Van/Bike User, please sign the petition on No 10's new website: "

To sign up to the petition click here

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/traveltax/

I have done it, now spread the word to all fellow petrol heads

Last edited by beaky; 29th November 2006 at 11:41 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 29th November 2006
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Sep 2004                                                
My Saabs: 1993 T16 (xLPT) - 1994 RUBY!!!

im staying well out of this one.... after the agro that followed thr London Congestion Charge thread, i think my views on such matters are well and truly the minority (even among people who dont even live in the UK)

G

http://www.nicecupofteaandasitdown.com/

http://www.saabcentral.com/phpgallery/Gs-little-Saab
Old 29th November 2006
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Jan 2003                                                
My Saabs: Sensonic NG900T, a gagle of rusty c900's

Sorry, but i'm all for it, i do an average of 3,000 miles a year, at the moment i'm paying £140 tax to do that when someone travelling 100-200k miles pays the same.

If we really want to change things lets start a one horse political party, 'justice for drivers', if you take enough seats at local elections the gov will have to bow down and start listening to UK motorists.

You only need a few policies to get people on your side

1) Removal of all speed camera's that are not located in accident black spots or have been proven not to reduce injury/death.

2) More traffic police on the roads

3) Fuel consumption based taxation, no road tax, just a disk to show your vehicle is mot'd.

What will happen to this devise when you accidentally put it in the microwave and switch it or or 'accidentally' leave a very large magnet sitting on top of it
Old 29th November 2006
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Jul 2004                                                
My Saabs: 2004 9-3 Arc

Is making it too expensive to drive the goal over there? I understand that congestion and polution is a reall problem but is this the best way?
Old 29th November 2006

My Saabs: 2000 93 SE LTP, 1986 Carrera 911 3.23

I think you missed the point here, the proposal isn't just for road tolls, reduced camera's, but you will have to place a tracker in your car that means they can always now where you are and how fast you are travelling - AKA Big Brother is watching you, wheres my freedom of movement gone, I'll be living in a police state soon

Secondly this won't dramatically help congestion or climate issues, but it will fund government spending on another round of intrusive legislation, etc etc but not on roads & transport.
Old 29th November 2006
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jun 2003                                                
My Saabs: 94 900SE V6, 2000 9-5 Aero mt

Man that is just ridculous.

Frankly, I don't care if anybody knew the places I go, since I've nothing to hide. But there are some people I'd LOVE to have their every move watched. How about sex offenders hanging out in their cars by schools etc. But it is a little creepy. Couldn't they just make it a odometer device that just tracks mileage?

DO you carry a cell phone now? You've probably already given up your freedom of movement.

Tboy

Last edited by Tboy; 29th November 2006 at 12:34 PM.
Old 29th November 2006
Saab Lunatic

My Saabs: 1999 9-3 SE with a 5 speed!

Granted, I'm not privey to the intricacies of British driving habits and all, but this certainly seems like the current administration is trying to drive the economy down the crapper! If people have to constantly pay just to drive their car, they might sell it and focus on mass transit, or not even decide to go to work at all because it would cost more to travel than what they pay!

As if insurance, congestion taxes, pollution taxes, fuel costs and expensive registering costs aren't enough... Come over hear across the pond guys! All you need to drive is money for gas, insurance and any monthy payments currently made on your car!
5-Speed Manual Transmission
A Smile with every drive
Old 29th November 2006
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Aug 2005                                                
My Saabs: 1998 95 2.3 lpt se nordic tuning

the worse part about this is the road tax will not be abolished and fuel duty is already 80%. it's just another ripp off the motorist
Old 29th November 2006

Join Date: Nov 2006                                                
My Saabs: 1993lpt, now full turbo

i have t say that the comments posted so far, without wanting to offend anyone, are extremely narrowminded to say the least

does anyone actually realise that something like 80% of car journeys in the UK are less than 3 miles!?

i reckon this is a good proposal, but there HAS to be concessions....
the system will not work if fuel duty, road tax and road tolls remain unchanged, and the government will be essentially commiting suicide if they proceed without ammending other factors of motoring to compensate

maybe i am with drg23 on this, and am the eternal optimist, but to think that this is a personal attack against drivers is just naive. think about it. why would the government choose to ostracise (spelling? sorry) themselves from probably the single biggest demographic, as well as the huge income potential of the motorist?

from what i know of the situation (and without bragging or causing offence to anyone here i do know a little more of this than some), if we do not start to think about the bigger picture, not only are we not going to have the economics that will allow us to afford the luxury of driving cars (coz it is really, everyone actually has an alternative, albeit not necessarily as convenient!!), but we wont have the space or capacity on the roads to drive in the manner that we are used to!

3 years ago when i started my curent job, it would take 35 to drive the 19 miles to work, accross the city centre then 10miles motorway. now, it never takes me less than 50 minutes! is this progress? hardly

ps, i car share with 2 other people
Old 29th November 2006
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Mar 2006                                                

This is just crazy. I cannot believe that people would allow this. What is the point of this device other than to generate cash and keep track of everyone? What is this tracking information going to be used for?

You would love to say that it would be used for sex offenders or some other benevolent reason. In reality the innocent are always easier than the guilty for the government to prey on. The information will be used against the vast majority of innocent road users because you have more to lose. Johnny sex offender is probably going to be poor and wouldn't care if he had more jail time. Some times the security of prison life is better than the insecurity of life on the outside in which people shun you economically and personally.

Just for talking purposes, what would happen if everyone in the UK simply refused to put the boxes in their car? What could the government really do? Sure they could issue however many millions of tickets, but that in and of itself is a task that would be impossible. There isn't enough jails for everyone in the country nor enough courts to process all the cases either.
Old 29th November 2006
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Dec 2002                                                
My Saabs: Silver 5dr Viggen

If fuel is already taxed, which it is, then mileage is already being taxed. I mean, it's even more fair, becuase if you drive more vehicle, you usually get worse mileage, and pay more tax per mile...

Or they could have installed an odometer device that doesnt track position or speed. However, this could probably be fooled easily (Ferris Bueller method? Oh wait, that didnt work..)

I would not be happy about this one if it were happening to me. Seems like too much potential for ulterior motives. In the US, they'd probably just make the proposal to Congress really long, and paper clip a 'rider' to the back that allowed them to use the device for speed infractions, etc.

I took a bus from London to Amsterdam, and the bus had a mileage tracking device on teh bus that would tell an officer if the bus driver had travelled too far or too long or if they had been speeding. This translated into a much longer bus ride for us (45 minute break required every 4 or 5 hours, NO speeding) But it forced the driver to obey the law.It made sense with ~70 lives hanging in the balance. For a personal vehicle? Heck no!
Old 29th November 2006
Saab Lunatic

My Saabs: 1993 T16 (xLPT) - 1994 RUBY!!!

hooh-bloody-rah..... let me buy that man a cup of lovely tea
at last, someone that can think outside the box

if thi were to be implemented, despite the fact that i LOVE driving my car, and am probably the only one who gets to work with a smile on their face, i would gladly save myself the moeny and get the train to work.
yes it takes longer....
yes i would get a wet *** when riding in the rain
it wouldnt be the end of the world (no pun intended ) however

G

grrr.. *** = bottom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by old skool kool
i have t say that the comments posted so far, without wanting to offend anyone, are extremely narrowminded to say the least

does anyone actually realise that something like 80% of car journeys in the UK are less than 3 miles!?

the system will not work if fuel duty, road tax and road tolls remain unchanged, and the government will be essentially commiting suicide if they proceed without ammending other factors of motoring to compensate

maybe i am with drg23 on this, and am the eternal optimist, but to think that this is a personal attack against drivers is just naive. think about it. why would the government choose to ostracise (spelling? sorry) themselves from probably the single biggest demographic, as well as the huge income potential of the motorist?

from what i know of the situation (and without bragging or causing offence to anyone here i do know a little more of this than some), if we do not start to think about the bigger picture, not only are we not going to have the economics that will allow us to afford the luxury of driving cars (coz it is really, everyone actually has an alternative, albeit not necessarily as convenient!!), but we wont have the space or capacity on the roads to drive in the manner that we are used to!

3 years ago when i started my curent job, it would take 35 to drive the 19 miles to work, accross the city centre then 10miles motorway. now, it never takes me less than 50 minutes! is this progress? hardly

http://www.nicecupofteaandasitdown.com/

http://www.saabcentral.com/phpgallery/Gs-little-Saab

Last edited by drg23; 29th November 2006 at 02:57 PM. Reason: damn b u m filters
Old 29th November 2006

Join Date: Jul 2004                                                
My Saabs: '87 900 T16 vert, 911 SC,914,W123 Diesel

wow that is insane! I feel so sorry for you guys

That would suck sooooooo much.
Old 29th November 2006
Super Moderator EMERITUS

Join Date: Aug 2003                                                
My Saabs: 1995 9000 Aero.

You English lot deserve it. You've all had it easy for far too long.
Old 29th November 2006
Saab Lunatic

My Saabs: Black 9000 Aero, C900 - Sold

I have some very selfish, but serious objections to all of the government ideas about screwing the average UK citizen/worker where it hurts.

I drive to and from work every day on the only road into and out of the village I live in, in the correct direction onto the ring road around manchester - this would undoubtedly be a high rate road, after which I take the only road from the ring road that will take me anywhere near where I work, all of these heavily congested as they are routes that people take as there are no other options.

Anyway my daily commute works out to be around an hour to 1.5 hours a day dependant on traffic, and costs me maybe £5 a day in fuel (ignoring the robbery that is road tax to quality of roads etc etc etc) if I were to take public transport as I have done in the past my commute is increased to over 6 yes that is SIX hours, takes me around three times the distance, makes more pollution per person and costs double what it would to use my car. (and involves 3 types of vehicle not including the couple of miles of walking each direction)

Yes, I will gladly switch to public transport when I don't have to leave my house at 5.40 am to get to my office at 9:10am and then returning home after 8:30pm after finishing work t 5:30pm...

The way this country is run, and how it works makes me very angry sometimes.... so apologies for the rant, just this sort of thing winds me up.... (along with the unlicenced, uninsured, unmot'd drivers/cars on the road, and the fact that i pay a significant amount of my wage to exist in tax, for which i rarely see anything in return - except of course police forces that can't be bothered, an nhs that has no money, roads that have big holes in, and all of the other gripes grumbles and etc that keep us british)
Old 29th November 2006
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Aug 2006                                                
My Saabs: 1990 900 turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by old skool kool

Sometimes the "bigger picture" isn't the biggest picture. Sometimes basic personal freedom is more important than what's "good for the country". Gas taxes don't infringe on any personal freedom, and would be cheaper for the government to execute than building a whole network of tracking devices. Why, then, would the government want to spend all that extra money to set up a system so that they know (in a very general sense) where almost everyone is at all times? Think about it!
Old 29th November 2006
Saab Lunatic

My Saabs: 02 9-3 SE, 86 900 turbo convertible

In reference to the odometer tracking idea, what about all those c900s that have busted odometers?
They could somewhat implement that, our inspection stickers show the mileage at the time of inspection, all they would need to do is tally it up, as seen here on our receipts

I do agree that maybe people convicted in DWI cases and other risky cases should be tracked, but I dont agree with everyday people who've done nothing wrong having to be tracked everywhere. And its my guess that it'll be you innocent folks who will be paying for this new wild infrastructure
2000 Nissan Frontier XE 218k miles
Old 29th November 2006
Saabista

Join Date: Dec 2002                                                
My Saabs: 1989 900t, 1990 900t, 1990 900 S, 87 SPG

It's stupid... they already have that, it's called "gas tax". More miles more gas more money in tax. Added sideeffect if you drive a heavier car, that is harder on the road surface, burn more gas, pay more tax.
Turbo allows the valiant who has appeared at the wheel SAAB to gain momentum for 200 km/h Charm SAAB Turbo also that it to you not bad Porsche on it it is possible with speed of pregnant turtle feeling itself in full comfort which by the way our hero obeys a rudder reliably and confidently the truth management hardly will twirl a steering wheel by one finger uneasy. Without the hydraulic booster quickly enough perishes a steering shaft, but to change its hemorrhoids from the most fierce
Old 29th November 2006
Banned

Join Date: Mar 2004                                                
My Saabs: '96 9k Aero & '73 96 V4

There is no way for me or my girlfriend to get to work from where we live via public transport. We chose to move to our location as it was equidistant from each of our jobs (well nearly!) and the nearest city.

We do have buses, they only go to Derby. I work in Burton, taking me 20-25 minutes to drive. My significant other works in Ashby, taking 10-15 minute. If I went via public transport it would mean bus to Derby (45 minutes), train to Burton (15 minutes) and walk from there (30 miuntes) = 1.5 hours! I don't know if my girlfriend could even get to Ashby, maybe via Swadlincote, but it would take forever!

Some of us need our cars. I would love to use public transport if I could, the rat race to work and back does my head in, but I have no option. Well other than to move house!

Just quickly on the subject of speed cameras, road taxes etc etc (oh and the withdrawal of the 25 year free tax rule ), who voted for this idiot? Not me!

And that's enough politics from me, sorry.
Old 29th November 2006
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Nov 2004                                                
My Saabs: 2002 9-5 Aero

What do they do with the road tax and fuel tax now? What about places like Milton Keynes that were designed for car usage? There is no transport system here worth using. Im sick to death of this poxy lot "running" this country. Personally I find this Government sinister - thats my rant -and im sticking to it,until I can emigrate- f*** 'em
Sponsored Links
Advertisement