Possibly saying goodbye... - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Cabrio ('04+), Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > 9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop

9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X , 2003 - 2012 Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 24th October 2006
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Jul 2005                                                
My Saabs: '03 9³ Vector
Default Possibly saying goodbye...

to the 9-3SS forum.

I am in the midst of purchasing a '99 Lightning Blue Viggen. The SS is just not worth spending an extra grand or so on an extended warranty in my eyes, if it were the 6 speed I probably would keep it. But I can save myself some cash and heartache by not completly saying goodbye to Saab. A LOT of things have been replaced under warranty on the Viggen and its virtually brand new. Getting it for around $10,000-11,000 with under 60,000 miles on it.

Hopefully it all works out and I can get rid of my Vector soon.

Wish me luck!!

Oh and by the way, I still love my Vector, its just time to move on to something a little bit more "saab" with a bit more power and fun factor. Just gotta get rid of that torque steer on the viggen and Ill be a happy camper.

Just felt like sharing... like anyone cares hahaha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 24th October 2006
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Jul 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2007 Saab 9³ SS Aero; Laser Red

congrats. the viggen is a highly coveted saab product by many saabists
Old 24th October 2006
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Feb 2004                                                
My Saabs: SAAB-less

Viggens are great - wish I'd kept mine - the thought of selling my Aero and finding a Viggen has crossed my mind as well. The interior and stock stereo are much better than what my Aero came with. However the Aero handles circles around the Viggen and has much better structural rigidity. Get the steering rack clamp/brace kit and you'll get rid of a lot of the rubbery feel of the front end and the torque steer. You can also get an upgraded rear sway bar (stiffer) and further improve the handling. The ride is brutal but 3rd gear at WOT is pure goodness.
Old 24th October 2006
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Mar 2004                                                
My Saabs: '06 Aero ‘Silver Bullet’

If everything checked out OK on the Viggen....no fluid leaks, no sludge history, no blown engine, no pings/knocks on acceleration, etc....then have fun with it.
It was a blast to drive and admire....it's definitely a looker. Oh, and the trunk space can fit 4 bodies ....erhmm.....nevermind.
Old 25th October 2006
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Sep 2006                                                
My Saabs: Saab 93 Vector 2.0T 2006

r u saying u gonna trade a newr car for an older one? Well that's sort of strange to my eyes. Of course if yr 03 is giving u trouble..........
Old 25th October 2006
Saab Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilo
r u saying u gonna trade a newr car for an older one? Well that's sort of strange to my eyes. Of course if yr 03 is giving u trouble..........
Were talkin about a lightning blue Viggen here man. People buy E36 M3's all the time... because, well those kind of cars are special. The 9-3SS I absolutely love. But like Ive always said, its like a crazy, good looking girlfriend. The 9-3SS is sexy as hell on the outside, but too many little quirky problems, and I dont see it worth the 1,500 to extend the warranty. The Viggen is something Ive always wanted, and its a lot more "saab" than the SS. The Viggen is just as sexy (if not sexier in some aspects) as the SS if you ask me, but with much more power.

I will always love my SS, and miss it tons, but the problematic auto trans has got on my last nerve. It has to go. Like I said, if it were a 6 speed, there would be no question... Ide keep it.
Old 25th October 2006
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Feb 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9-3SS 2.0t Vector, Steel Grey (OOW)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnifex
A LOT of things have been replaced under warranty on the Viggen and its virtually brand new. Getting it for around $10,000-11,000 with under 60,000 miles on it.
You see, it's not just the 9-3SS that has quality issues and lots of warranty claims!

Hope the Viggen works out for you - the NG900/9-3 was the last of the "proper" Saab-looking Saabs IMO and a great car. I was torn between a previous generation 9-3 and the SS when I was looking for mine. As the others have said, the torque steer and handling issues can all be tamed with a bit of cash.

I love my 9-3SS but do worry that in 10 years it'll be the electronics that'll eventually send it to the scrappers. Yes, the Viggen isn't a simple car (it is still a modern car after all) but treat it well and it'll go on forever and ever. I'm not sure the same will be true of the SS...

May be it's just old age, but the older I get the more I feel like selling the modern car and buying an older, uncomplicated "classic" that'll last me years and years...
Old 25th October 2006
Saab Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBob
You see, it's not just the 9-3SS that has quality issues and lots of warranty claims!

Hope the Viggen works out for you - the NG900/9-3 was the last of the "proper" Saab-looking Saabs IMO and a great car. I was torn between a previous generation 9-3 and the SS when I was looking for mine. As the others have said, the torque steer and handling issues can all be tamed with a bit of cash.

I love my 9-3SS but do worry that in 10 years it'll be the electronics that'll eventually send it to the scrappers. Yes, the Viggen isn't a simple car (it is still a modern car after all) but treat it well and it'll go on forever and ever. I'm not sure the same will be true of the SS...

May be it's just old age, but the older I get the more I feel like selling the modern car and buying an older, uncomplicated "classic" that'll last me years and years...
Yep, when I talked to the guy about all the warranty work he had done, he sounded like me. He really milked the hell out of the warranty while he had it, which is what I have been doing to my SS. I swear my SS's interior is brand new haha. Most of the warranty things he had done were things he wanted done and werent needed.

I agree with you on the point about the NG900/9-3 being the the last "saab-looking" saabs. There is just something about the SS I love though, I guess its been my love for sedans like the 3-series and C230's body style that pulled me into the SS, because it is far superior to the 3 series and C-Class in the looks department IMO.

I will be saving a lot of money by doing this, so I plan on throwing some money into the Viggen to really get the handling and torque steer under control. I totally agree with you about the whole electronics thing with the SS. I just dont trust my car in the long run. For god sakes the key is electronic too, its just too risky if you ask me, although I really havent had any problems thus far.

It's time to move on, but not say goodbye to Saab, so the Viggen seemed like the best answer for me
Old 25th October 2006
Saab Crazy

haha i was looking at pictures of viggens earlier and stumbled across this photoshop. crazy...

Old 26th October 2006

Join Date: Jun 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2001 SaAB 9-5 v6

Now if that was made especially I would but that in a quick jiffy. That looks so sexy and superior it would be original in its class.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement