what constant mph gives optimal fuel economy? - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-5 Mk.I, 1998-2009 > 9-5 Workshop

9-5 Workshop 9-5 Workshop (1997 to 2010) Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 23rd October 2006

Join Date: Feb 2006                                                
My Saabs: '03 9-5 Aero
Default what constant mph gives optimal fuel economy?

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knew what the optimal speed is for a 9-5 Aero to get maximum fuel economy? For example the owners manual for a ford focus 1.8 diesel states that for maximum fuel economy, you should go at 56mph at 2000rpm in 5th gear. I looked through my Aero manual and whilst it did give optimal gear change times (3rd at 25mph, 4th at 40mph etc.), it didnt seem to list an "overall" speed/rpm combination like the ford.

Out of interest, the best ive got is doing a steady 70mph (using cruise) on the motorway which gives me a solid 46.3 mpg. Citywise, im scraping 30-31 mpg if I drive conservatively (which is hard in this car lol).

Anyone got any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 23rd October 2006

Join Date: Aug 2003                                                
My Saabs: 2005 9-3 ARC CV, 2000 9-5 SW 2.3lpt

Generally, the lowest RPM in top gear will yield best efficiency. My guess would be around 90 Km/hr.
Old 23rd October 2006
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jul 2005                                                
My Saabs: '99 9-5 SE 2.3lpt, 5spd, JSP Stage 3

It would depend on how slow/fast you want to go. I get 30-32mpg at 85mph (136kph). Good enough for me. I have gotten 35+mpg at 65mph (104kph).

Taliaferro Open Intake - Forge Motorsport 007 Recirculating Dump Valve - Remus SaabSport Exhaust - Aero Clutch and PP - Taliaferro Transmission Mount - JSP 3" Downpipe w/ Racecat - JSP Stage III Tuned - Koni Fully Adjustable Shocks - Aero Springs/Sways - Silicone Vacuum Lines - PCV Update #6 - Brand new Fuel Tank and Walbro 255lph Pump - Autometer Boost Gauge - MHI TD04 Big 19T 6cm2 Turbo Awaiting Installation
Old 23rd October 2006
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Nov 2002                                                
My Saabs: MY04 Hirsch 9-5 Aero 4-door auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAM_wants_an_Aero
I was wondering if anyone knew what the optimal speed is for a 9-5 Aero to get maximum fuel economy? For example the owners manual for a ford focus 1.8 diesel states that for maximum fuel economy, you should go at 56mph at 2000rpm in 5th gear. I looked through my Aero manual and whilst it did give optimal gear change times (3rd at 25mph, 4th at 40mph etc.), it didnt seem to list an "overall" speed/rpm combination like the ford.

Out of interest, the best ive got is doing a steady 70mph (using cruise) on the motorway which gives me a solid 46.3 mpg. Citywise, im scraping 30-31 mpg if I drive conservatively (which is hard in this car lol).
Depends on whether it's an auto or manual.

If an auto, 56mpg won't be very economical, especially using cruise control, as at that speed the auto will kick down a gear too easily when wanting to accelerate for inclines etc, rather than on a manual where you would just use the torque in 5th.
On my Sentronic auto I find I get better economy driving in M+ mode on a run. Never use the cruise as a result on the 9-5. Used to use it a lot on my old manual 9k Aero.

I'd say anything between 70-80 would be at it's most efficent for econony on a run, as youve already deduced.

If you are getting 30-31 for city driving your doing well........I've never got better than 23-24mpg for London 'city' driving in mine. I can get that up to 26-27 if staying out of too much stop-start traffic.
Old 23rd October 2006
SaabNut!

Join Date: May 2006                                                

With a 2.3 lpt auto, my best is 37mpg with the cruise on 65mph.
Old 24th October 2006
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Aug 2005                                                
My Saabs: 1998 95 2.3 lpt se nordic tuning

best ever was 40mpg on the m5 to bristol at a tad under 70 with the cruise on, was so bad being passed by everything
Old 24th October 2006

Join Date: Sep 2006                                                
My Saabs: '99 9-5 2.3t 5spd

this is so weird. im getting like 16-17 mpg within the city in my car, and i drive conservatively MOST of the time. im not getting any leaks or anything. there must be something wrong with my car.
Old 24th October 2006
Saabista

Join Date: Sep 2004                                                
My Saabs: 04 9-5 Vector 2.2Tid

If you have a 5 speed manual and you're getting 16-17mpg around town then you do have a problem, what do you get on a run?
Old 24th October 2006
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Aug 2005                                                
My Saabs: 1999 9-5 2.3lpt Auto Nordic Stg. 3+
Garage

I get about 13.3l/100km (17mpg) driving hard with sport mode on in the city (with a 4spd auto - often locked in second/third gear), and 8.0l/100km (30mpg) on the highway, cruising at 135km/h (~85mph) with 4 in the car.

I hope my conversion is right.

Last edited by stipud; 24th October 2006 at 05:58 PM.
Old 24th October 2006
SaabNut!

Join Date: Feb 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2005 9-5 AERO Wagon 2.3L Auto

I think we may have some apples and oranges going on here. Are the UK/Ireland posts in Miles per "Imperial" Gallons and the US posts in Miles per US Gallons? These are not the same and give different values. Conversions are about:

Miles per Imperial Gallon = 283/(L/100km)
Miles per US Gallon = 238/(L/100km)

Incidentally, the best highway mileage is determined by two things: the Cd or aerodynamic drag coefficient, and the net efficiency of the drivetrain. It will be somewhere between 55 and 70 miles per hour. A more aerodynamic car will have a higher optimum speed. Rolling friction has a minor effect at highway speed.

I haven't found the 9-5 to be all that great on fuel, averaging between 10 and 11 L/100km. Best 8.2, worst 12.5.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement