DAB Radio on a 9-3? - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Cabrio ('04+), Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > 9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop

9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X , 2003 - 2012 Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 15th October 2006

Join Date: Jun 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2004 Saab 9-3 Aero SS 210bhp
Default DAB Radio on a 9-3?

HI there,

I have a 2004 9-3 Aero SS, and I have just fitted a revo DAB (UK Digital Radio) radio to it. It came with a stick on windscreen antenna that has rubbish reception.

There are lots of aftermarket antenna options for DAB, but they all look naff and aftermarket. Everything I have change on the car so far looks OE and I would like it to stay that way... a bee sting antenna connected to the outside would look rubbish.

Has anyone fitted a DAB radio to their car... what antenna option did you use?

Many thanks

Dan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 16th October 2006

Join Date: May 2006                                                
My Saabs: '05 93 1.9TiD Vector Sport.

Dan,

If you are not using it, there should be a connector under the dash for the phone kit. Apparently this includes an external antenna connection which ends up in the main external aerial stub - probably as a separate antenna as the GSM and FM aerials use different frequencies. I realise that DAB and GSM are also different (DAB is abut 200MHz I think), but it might be worth a try. If you do a search on TEL1 or TEL2 there are loads of threads on people trying to use this connector for the phone elements.

I would be very interested to know if it works, as I tend to miss the DAB I get at home when I get into the car!

Garry
Old 16th October 2006
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jun 2003                                                
My Saabs: '07 9-3SC 2.0T

I have DAB in my car using the Blaupunkt/Bosch antenna (actually I am not sure exactly what brand it is) that is stuck onto the windshield. I am using the Revo unit. Works very well. I connected the audio output into the AUX-IN.
Old 16th October 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitchesg
Dan,

If you are not using it, there should be a connector under the dash for the phone kit. Apparently this includes an external antenna connection which ends up in the main external aerial stub - probably as a separate antenna as the GSM and FM aerials use different frequencies. I realise that DAB and GSM are also different (DAB is abut 200MHz I think), but it might be worth a try. If you do a search on TEL1 or TEL2 there are loads of threads on people trying to use this connector for the phone elements.

I would be very interested to know if it works, as I tend to miss the DAB I get at home when I get into the car!

Garry
Many thanks - that sounds like an option to investigate.

I have ordered one of these however:

which claims to split the feed of the standard aerial into both FM and DAB, which I was going to try this week sometime. I am somewhat cynical about this device, but I thought I would give it a go.

I will let you know how I get on with both options!
Old 16th October 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by epsilon93
I have DAB in my car using the Blaupunkt/Bosch antenna (actually I am not sure exactly what brand it is) that is stuck onto the windshield. I am using the Revo unit. Works very well. I connected the audio output into the AUX-IN.
Is this a powered Antenna?

I had a Blaupunkt DAB 54 in my last car and fitted a Blaupunkt Beesting Aerial to the outside. This was fine as it replaced the existing Beesting that the Calibra had as standard and looked fairly OE.

That setup worked fine as I am in a "should pick up" DAB area... the Revo however is unlistenable to with the current windscreen antenna. It's refreshing to hear that its not the device itself that is flawed.

Many thanks

Dan
Old 18th October 2006
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jun 2003                                                
My Saabs: '07 9-3SC 2.0T

Yes, it is an active antenna.
Old 18th October 2006
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Feb 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9-3SS 2.0t Vector, Steel Grey (OOW)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitchesg
Dan,

Garry
Unfortunately not so - the phone connector under the dash only connects to the GSM aerial in the sharkfin aerial on the roof. There is no FM aerial in the sharkfin. The FM aerial is integrated into the rear screen as far as I am aware.

FM transmission frequencies fall between 87.5 - 108.0MHz, this is in the Band II part of the spectrum. DAB is in Band III, 174.9 - 239.2MHz, so even if you could connect up to the FM aerial it wouldn't really be of benefit! This is why you need a seperate aerial for your DAB receiver you see...

Not sure why the windscreen mounted aerial doesn't work very well - on some cars with heat reflecting windscreens the high metal content of the glass can cause reception problems. Saabs are allegedly one of the cars that suffer from this problem (along with Renaults and Peugeots) but as others have had success with this type of installation I suspect this isn't the problem...
Old 18th October 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBob
FM transmission frequencies fall between 87.5 - 108.0MHz, this is in the Band II part of the spectrum. DAB is in Band III, 174.9 - 239.2MHz, so even if you could connect up to the FM aerial it wouldn't really be of benefit! This is why you need a seperate aerial for your DAB receiver you see...
So does that mean that the splitter that I have ordered isn't likely to work terribly well either, then?

Many thanks for the info.

Dan
Old 18th October 2006
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Feb 2003                                                
My Saabs: Saab 9-3CV Aero TTiD 180

Just in case it helps you any, try mounting the stick on antenna supplied with the revo on the black panel where the rear view mirror mounts.

This is the only place on the windscreen of the car that does not have the anti solar treatment. This type of treatment plays havoc with toll tags and low end gps antennas, menaing the only place to put it is here.

You should get a better signal from here than anywhere else in the car. It's not as good as a proper DAB antenna, properly mounted into the bodywork with a good ground plane, but it may be better than any other option in the first instance.

If you have already tried it, ignore me!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement