Just picked up a 97 9000 Turbo - SaabCentral Forums
* site search:  
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9000 > Saab 9000 Workshop
Saab 9000 Workshop Saab 9000 (1985-1998) Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-10-06

Join Date: Oct 2006                                                
My Saabs: 97 9000 Turbo
Default Just picked up a 97 9000 Turbo

Hello guys, just picked up a 97 Saab 9000 Turbo. The car drives great, but its leaking oil somewhere, also sometimes blue smokes comes out of the muffler, not all the time. On the engine there a hose that its going to the motor that is not connected, I believe is coming from the turbo to the top of he valve cover. How can I correct the blue smoke problem? Also, why there isnt a boost gauge?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-06
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Feb 2005                                                
My Saabs: MY98 9000 CSE B234R

Ok, you've asked a couple of questions I'll take it in the easiest order.

1) Why doesn't it have a turbo gauge?

Saab produced two versions of the turbocharged 9000 (Both 2.0 and 2.3 Turbo), there was the LPT and the FPT (as well as the Aero). The LPT (or Low Pressure Turbo), uses the same engine and turbo, but the turbo does not spin as fast as in the FPT (Full Pressure Turbo). For most day to day driving the LPT is fine, but it doesn't have the scare the living s*** out of you approach that the FPT and Aero tend to have. The quickest way to tell an LPT from an FPT is the lack of turbo gauge on the dash (the FPT and Aeros have a boost gauge).

If you so desire, you can convert from LPT to FPT relatively easily, but you do need to change the ECU (though you should be able to get one from a scrappy), and install the APC BPC (again you should be able to get it from scrappy (the BPC is the small black valve thingy attached to the radiator with three hoses and an electrical connection).

2) Where is the oil leak?

Like all cars, it could be from any number of places, but I suspect that if you look at the right hand side of the engine (above gearbox), you may see some oil leaking from that area. If this is found to be the case, you may get away with getting the head retorqued, but otherwise it could be a sign that in the not to distant future you're going to need to change the head gasket.

3) Producing blue smoke

If it is intermittent then it is likely to be the case that the turbo seals are on their way out. A repair kit can be had for about 100.

4) Pipe running from cylinder head to the inlet side of the turbo.

This is part of the recirc system, and is used to draw fumes from the crankcase back into the cumbustion chamber to help reduce emissions. If you follow the pipe from the inlet side of the turbo, you should find that it merges with a small metal pipe, and then comes up to the cylinder head. The metal pipe exits at the right hand side of the engine and goes to the throttle body, whilst the main pipe carries on to the left hand side to a 'Y' piece. On that 'Y', there should be two pipes, the one going to the inlet side of the turbo and another small pipe going to the inlet manifold. The small pipe should have a grey one way valve in the middle of it.

Hope this helps

Kenneth

P.s. Welcome to Saab Central.
Old 08-10-06
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Aug 2003                                                
My Saabs: 9000 Aero

Don't forget the intercooler if going from LPT to FPT.
Old 08-10-06

Ok im going to look at replacing the turbo. What type can I put in there? Also how about installing a boost gauge? Ill do a oil chnage today and see if that helps.
Old 08-10-06
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by djtaylor
Don't forget the intercooler if going from LPT to FPT.
2.3 LPt's had an intercooler fitted as standard from MY95 on. Not sure about the 2.0 LPt though.

Kenneth

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatracer
Ok im going to look at replacing the turbo. What type can I put in there? Also how about installing a boost gauge? Ill do a oil chnage today and see if that helps.
Can you confirm whether it's a 2.0 or a 2.3. It doesn't make much difference to the turbo charger, but there are a few subtle differences between them.

It will be a Garrett T25 that you would use (they are fine for upto 250hp), but you would be better (read cheaper with same quality) seeing if you can get somewhere to replace the seal kit on your own turbo charger.

Kenneth

Last edited by klarking1075; 08-10-06 at 09:35 AM.
Old 08-10-06

Ok so I changed the oil today, super black. Changed the oil filter, used lucas stabilizer, and **** no blue smoke for the past 74 miles that ive been driving it. So I take it its was the bad oil? not the turbo? Its a 2.3.. Can I upgrade the TOV?
Old 09-10-06
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatracer
Ok so I changed the oil today, super black. Changed the oil filter, used lucas stabilizer, and **** no blue smoke for the past 74 miles that ive been driving it. So I take it its was the bad oil? not the turbo? Its a 2.3.. Can I upgrade the TOV?
TOV? I'm assuming that you mean the BOV (Blow Off Valve). Yes, there are a wide range of choices and no reason why you can't fit an atmospheric.

In terms of the turbo - it's the old suck it and see. Unless you can find a reason to rebuild (i.e no boost, or a resurgence of smoke), then I would run with it. Your choice though.

Good luck with it, and I hope that you enjoy the Saab.

Kenneth
Old 09-10-06

Quote:
Originally Posted by klarking1075
TOV? I'm assuming that you mean the BOV (Blow Off Valve). Yes, there are a wide range of choices and no reason why you can't fit an atmospheric.

In terms of the turbo - it's the old suck it and see. Unless you can find a reason to rebuild (i.e no boost, or a resurgence of smoke), then I would run with it. Your choice though.

Good luck with it, and I hope that you enjoy the Saab.

Kenneth
HAHAH yes sorry BOV. Well the car has not smoked since I changed the oil, so I guess it was that and not the turbo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement